DirectX 12 Will be Exclusive to Windows 10

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
9,354
0
0
DirectX 12 Will be Exclusive to Windows 10


Windows 7 and 8 users will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137744-Microsoft-Windows-10-not-Windows-9] for free for a year following its launch.

Late last year, we ran a story that suggested Windows 7 would not support DirectX 12 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138625-Windows-7-Wont-Support-Direct-X-12]. While Microsoft was quick to refute the report back then, now it has come out and confirmed our suspicions: not only will DirectX 12 not support Windows 7, but it also won't support Windows 8. It'll be exclusive to Windows 10.

The news comes out of Microsoft's big Windows 10 event in Redmond [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139553-Microsoft-Windows-Holographic-Augmented-Reality-Holograms-HoloLens], where it also revealed a juicy bit of info for Windows 7 and 8 users who are, understandably, a bit peeved at the exclusivity. Current 7/8 users will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 absolutely free of charge, for a period of one year following it's release.

Microsoft has clarified that this doesn't mean you'll only get Windows 10 for a year - as long as you upgrade from 7 or 8 to 10 within the first year, the new OS is yours to keep forever. I gotta admit, that's pretty generous, as it seems like the vast majority of Microsoft's regular, private consumers would be running either Windows 7 or 8 at this point.

Don't be expecting DX12 games to be rushing out the doors any time soon, though, as Microsoft stated that while some existing graphics cards will be able to get something from the new API, you'll need to buy a new, DX12-enabled card to get the full benefit of it.

Lastly, Microsoft announced that alongside Fable Legends [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127008-Fable-Legends-Announced-As-Xbox-One-Exclusive], a number of formerly Xbox One-exclusives will be making their way to gaming PCs around the world.

So all-in-all, a little bit of bad news balanced out with some other, pretty good news. Looks like an exciting year is in store for PC gamers.

Source: Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/21/more-on-todays-win-10-update-free-offer-dx12-more-xbox-games/]

Permalink
 

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
33,758
0
0
Well this will only affect me if for some odd reason Fallout 4 was DirectX 12 exclusive, which I highly doubt because many developers still use DirectX 11 for all things. Even then, Fallout 4 would not convince me to jump to a new operating system either way, but Microsoft is really betting a lot on this new OS which isn't good if it bombs.

On the Xbox One front, I'm not really liking how many exclusives are coming out on both. I mean granted, it's great for the consumers as more people get access to the game, provided they upgrade in Fable Legends' case, but what's the point in buying an Xbox One if the exclusives show up on PC?
 

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
9,354
0
0
Neronium said:
Well this will only affect me if for some odd reason Fallout 4 was DirectX 12 exclusive, which I highly doubt because many developers still use DirectX 11 for all things. Even then, Fallout 4 would not convince me to jump to a new operating system either way, but Microsoft is really betting a lot on this new OS which isn't good if it bombs.

On the Xbox One front, I'm not really liking how many exclusives are coming out on both. I mean granted, it's great for the consumers as more people get access to the game, provided they upgrade in Fable Legends' case, but what's the point in buying an Xbox One if the exclusives show up on PC?
There isn't one. Personally, i think that both the PS4 and Xbox One are completely superfluous in this day and age. There is nothing these two consoles can do that a gaming PC can't do better, and the handful of exclusives they each desperately cling to is the only thing keeping them alive.
 

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
33,758
0
0
Steven Bogos said:
There isn't one. Personally, i think that both the PS4 and Xbox One are completely superfluous in this day and age. There is nothing these two consoles can do that a gaming PC can't do better, and the handful of exclusives they each desperately cling to is the only thing keeping them alive.
To each their own I suppose. In all honesty, Sony still releases some of their IPs when they remember they exist from time to time. As long as Ratchet and Clank is coming out, I still have a reason to get a PS4 in all honesty. I'm just waiting for my Ape Escape 4 or at least some sort of Ape Escape HD collection/remake of some kind, as that franchise is still insanely popular in Japan. For me there are still a lot of games that are exclusive on consoles that I like, and if Sony would remember that they actually do own more 1st party IPs than a small few then I'd of gotten one by now. (although I am getting one for the Ratchet & Clank remake this year)
 

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
9,354
0
0
Neronium said:
Steven Bogos said:
There isn't one. Personally, i think that both the PS4 and Xbox One are completely superfluous in this day and age. There is nothing these two consoles can do that a gaming PC can't do better, and the handful of exclusives they each desperately cling to is the only thing keeping them alive.
To each their own I suppose. In all honesty, Sony still releases some of their IPs when they remember they exist from time to time. As long as Ratchet and Clank is coming out, I still have a reason to get a PS4 in all honesty. I'm just waiting for my Ape Escape 4 or at least some sort of Ape Escape HD collection/remake of some kind, as that franchise is still insanely popular in Japan. For me there are still a lot of games that are exclusive on consoles that I like, and if Sony would remember that they actually do own more 1st party IPs than a small few then I'd of gotten one by now. (although I am getting one for the Ratchet & Clank remake this year)
You don't realize it, but you're actually agreeing with me. If these PS4 exclusives were released on PC, would you still buy a PS4? At some point exclusives changed from nice bonuses for supporting a system to titles that console manufacturers hold hostage from the rest of the gaming world.
 

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
33,758
0
0
Steven Bogos said:
You don't realize it, but you're actually agreeing with me. If these PS4 exclusives were released on PC, would you still buy a PS4? At some point exclusives changed from nice bonuses for supporting a system to titles that console manufacturers hold hostage from the rest of the gaming world.
See here's what I say about the whole "hold hostage" thing: if it's made by a first party title then that's not holding something hostage as it wouldn't exist otherwise. I find saying that 1st party titles are held hostage is just stupid, and I wish that it wasn't popularized as saying that. Either way, even if they were released on PC it comes into a new problem, and it's that it'd be most likely tied to Steam or some sort of alternate account. I'm a person who prefers to have physical copies of games over digital only ones with DRM for those services. Plus, living in the United States I don't exactly have the luxury of being exempt from EULAs like other countries that actually care about their consumers do.

In the end, I am and probably always be more of a console gamer. I have a decent gaming rig, but there honestly aren't many games that I play on my PC often at all, and besides Bethesda games for mods (mainly to fix the damn games to make them stable) I hardly play games on my PC period. Upon looking at it now, I tend to play more on my 6th generation consoles and below more than my Wii U and PC.
 

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
3,147
0
0
Steven Bogos said:
You don't realize it, but you're actually agreeing with me. If these PS4 exclusives were released on PC, would you still buy a PS4? At some point exclusives changed from nice bonuses for supporting a system to titles that console manufacturers hold hostage from the rest of the gaming world.
I have 2 gaming PC's and all last gen consoles and the PS4, even with no exclusives I would get the PS4 simply because for some games it's just easier. Publishers like EA and Ubisoft that can't code for shit on PC are plain easier to deal with on console. Also I like the small PC plugged into my TV that just works, yes I know my computers can do it too but since I work in IT and have to deal with the issues all day I can't always be assed to deal with an issue at home, so will just turn the console on and play a game. Though tbh their most often used as bluray players than gaming machines.
 

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
2,999
0
0
So now Windows 8 becomes truly useless for gamers?

It's kind of good that they realised their error and that they are ditiching that OS, but if Windows 10 sucks(and so help me God if it has integrated ads...) then this will create a lot of problems for gamers.

*sigh*

I remember when Microsoft used to support us.
 

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
3,147
0
0
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
So now Windows 8 becomes truly useless for gamers?

It's kind of good that they realised their error and that they are ditiching that OS, but if Windows 10 sucks(and so help me God if it has integrated ads...) then this will create a lot of problems for gamers.

*sigh*

I remember when Microsoft used to support us.
I have Windows 10 preview, to be honest it leaves 8 eating dust and while not quite as good as 7 it gets pretty close. I still prefer 7 but meh, maybe someday Aero will return and rid us of this fisher price looking interface.
 

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
303
0
0
I just hope this means the rest of the Halo series is finally making its way to PC.
 

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
2,999
0
0
RicoADF said:
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
So now Windows 8 becomes truly useless for gamers?

It's kind of good that they realised their error and that they are ditiching that OS, but if Windows 10 sucks(and so help me God if it has integrated ads...) then this will create a lot of problems for gamers.

*sigh*

I remember when Microsoft used to support us.
I have Windows 10 preview, to be honest it leaves 8 eating dust and while not quite as good as 7 it gets pretty close. I still prefer 7 but meh, maybe someday Aero will return and rid us of this fisher price looking interface.
What about the rumours of the integrated ads? Are they true? Is the UI any better?(since trying to get to C:/ using 8 is needlessly convoluted with Metro)

I know it sounds petty, but that is the one point where I draw the line and tell MS to go fuck themselves.
 

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
20,147
0
0
Wait... So you're saying I'd be able to upgrade my Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free?
It's not just for Windows 8 users?

How well does it run Skyrim?

Wait, what is this about integrated ads?

If there are any... How well does Skyrim run on Linux?
 

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
732
0
0
I'm waiting for Gabe Newell to switch from freaking out about Windows 8 to freaking out about Windows 10.

Steven Bogos said:
You don't realize it, but you're actually agreeing with me. If these PS4 exclusives were released on PC, would you still buy a PS4? At some point exclusives changed from nice bonuses for supporting a system to titles that console manufacturers hold hostage from the rest of the gaming world.
The only real reason to as why I would buy a PS4 currently is for ESO & other MMOs. Those aren't really being held "Hostage". But they'll probably give me something to do with my friends on PSN. Plus since MMOs can't run mods I don't really see the excitement in playing them on a PC instead.

Xbox One on the other hand I probably want to buy Sunset Overdrive before it becomes free from GWG. Just so I can own that game without having to worry about losing it if or when my GWG would expire on Xbox One. If Sunset Overdrive ever came to Steam I'd probably buy it again.

I don't have a problem owning single player games that I like more than once. But I also intend on eventually buying my future Elder Scrolls & Saints Rows games purely on PC as long as they can have mods & run on a Steam Machine.

In other news Nintendo is holding Bayonetta 2, Devil's Third, & Zombie U hostage!
....
*Insert World's Smallest Violin Here*
 

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
1,273
0
0
RatGouf said:
The only real reason to as why I would buy a PS4 currently is for ESO & other MMOs. Those aren't really being held "Hostage". But they'll probably give me something to do with my friends on PSN. Plus since MMOs can't run mods I don't really see the excitement in playing them on a PC instead.
They don't run mods, but they do run addons which many MMO players wouldn't dream of playing without.
 

008Zulu_v1legacy

New member
Sep 6, 2009
6,019
0
0
I may swap to Windows 10, about half way through month 11. By then, they will have the major kinks worked out, and backtracked on the design choices that have been labeled as "catastrophically stupid".
 

ZiggyE

New member
Nov 13, 2010
502
0
0
I am eagerly awaiting the day Linux replaces Windows as the dominant gaming OS and we don't need to deal with this Microsoft monopoly anymore.
 

Bat Vader

New member
Mar 11, 2009
4,996
0
0
ZiggyE said:
I am eagerly awaiting the day Linux replaces Windows as the dominant gaming OS and we don't need to deal with this Microsoft monopoly anymore.
Wouldn't we be trading one monopoly for another? I know some versions of Linux is free like Ubuntu. I don't want a dominant gaming OS. I hope they they each become popular enough so that people know they exist and that Microsoft can't hold thing like DirectX12 hostage.
 

Riotguards

New member
Feb 1, 2013
219
0
0
i'd be eager to update my computer to windows 10 and get rid of the annoying windows 8 forever but i suspect that if i do everything i did to even get games working on my pc would be rendered useless

here's hoping they focus on gaming comparability
 

Rozalia1

New member
Mar 1, 2014
1,095
0
0
Seems the escapist is really doubling down on its community by how these articles keep being written... getting pretty irritating as I don't like such heavy pandering (not to mention the support of illegal practices openly or not)... but I'm not one to get all pissy and leave over such things.

Microsoft make mistakes, nothing new.

Steven Bogos said:
You don't realize it, but you're actually agreeing with me. If these PS4 exclusives were released on PC, would you still buy a PS4? At some point exclusives changed from nice bonuses for supporting a system to titles that console manufacturers hold hostage from the rest of the gaming world.
Come now we get enough of that already. First party games and third party exclusives (by choice) are not "hostages".
Exclusives have always had one purpose, no change occurred.
 

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
6,651
0
0
Free for a year? Why?

If their plan is a subscription based operating system they can go fuck themselves. No self-respecting gamer will fall for this crap.

This is what's gonna happen if Windows 10 is a subscription based OS. Either people will pirate it in mass numbers, or Nvidia and Intel will adopt AMD's Mantle (Intel is already interested in Mantle). And since Mantle essentially does the same thing as Dx12 we won't be needing DirectX anymore. Developers will embrace it as well since all the GPU manufacturers will be using it and it supports Windows 7 and Windows 8. At that point we may witness the Linux Renaissance.