Disappointed/hate the recent star wars game? Try out some of these SW games instead.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
It is no secret that Battlefront II by EA is hated and quite controversial among gamers. The game is made of a weak campaign (Bravo for them to try though), okay multiplayer, and loot box bullshit.

Here are some of my personal favorite SW games that I have been playing recently to wash down the bad taste that game has left in my mouth. I will list the SW games of multiple genres.

Original SW: Battlefront II

Made by now closed Pandemic Studio (thanks, EA), the game had 64 multiplayer maps. The game also had a great story involving the 501st Legion during clone wars era that would become Vader's first. There are many stages (both campaign and multiplayer map) where you take part in the events of the movie, and the hero system could be BOTH canon and non-canon. Plus, it has more maps, space battle, vehicle gameplay, and a good class system.

SW: Knights of the old republic

The game that made Bioware famous. Fun fact: Bioware was given of choice of either making tie-in game with Ep.2 OR come up with a completely different setting. BW made the wise choice of later. KOTOR is a truly a classic RPG that inspired both Mass Effect and Dragon Age series. The game has great replayability and the plot-twist that wasn't foreseen at the time of the release.

Lego Star Wars Series

And now for something a bit light-hearted. Lego star wars series is probably one of my favorite Lego game series. I remember spending hours with my friends and my sister playing the two player mode all the time. Whether it's the Complete Saga, Clone Wars, or The Force Awakens, LEGO did a supreme job of making their star wars games that had lighthearted jokes that were actually funny.

Jedi Knight series

Or to be specific, Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy. These series allowed you to use so many force powers that made you feel like a badass. Turning on the cheats to unlock all force powers at their max level is such a fun experience. You will feel amazing when you use force lightning on bunch of stormtroopers or force push to send them flying off the ledge.

The Force Unleashed

Here's a star wars game that makes you feel like a badass for our modern time gamers. The dark story of Starkiller takes you to the various locations throughout the galaxy, and the powers you gain makes you feel unstoppable.

Star Wars The Old Republic

This is an actually good mmorpg. With 8 classes to choose from, which you'll be making light or dark side decision within each of the stories, you'll have blast playing through multiple times. The game has seen improvements since its launch, and it has become nicer for f2p or preferred status, which is one time $5 payment.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
No Super Star Wars? No Rogue Squadron? No Episode I Racer? No Shadows of the Empire?

FAIL!

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
sgy0003 said:
It is no secret that Battlefront II by EA is hated and quite controversial among gamers. The game is made of a weak campaign (Bravo for them to try though)
No, bullshit. They didn't try at all. The whole package, campaign in particular, was an utter joke that was designed purely to milk as much cash from a nostalgia fed userbase as possible that it clearly loathes. And even if the campaign had been good, they still don't deserve a cent for the utter disgusting pile of garbage they tried to pass off as a game with the 2015 version. everything in 2 and more should have been in 1 to begin with, since Pandemic managed just fine to get it all in ten years ago.

Hawki said:
No Super Star Wars? No Rogue Squadron? No Episode I Racer? No Shadows of the Empire?

FAIL!
Shadows was shit. You can't hide from that forever so may as well come to terms with it now. As much as I love Rogue Squadron, it's a mere toddler's toy compared to...

Dalisclock said:
How is TIE Fighter, X-Wing or even X-Wing: Alliance not on this list?

Are you a rebel spy?
Now you're talking. All three of those to this day remain the high point of Star Wars dogfighting, and some would say Star wars games as a whole.

I'll also give Dark Forces a mention, for some good high octane blasty action.

But if anyone ever recommends you try a Rebel Assault game... dear god don't listen to them.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Squilookle said:
But if anyone ever recommends you try a Rebel Assault game... dear god don't listen to them.
Yeah, Rebel Assault and it's sequel is only good if you've never played a good SW game before. Otherwise, it's a not terribly good rail shooter with SW paint on it.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
sgy0003 said:
Jedi Knight series

Or to be specific, Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy. These series allowed you to use so many force powers that made you feel like a badass. Turning on the cheats to unlock all force powers at their max level is such a fun experience. You will feel amazing when you use force lightning on bunch of stormtroopers or force push to send them flying off the ledge.
No. I was incredibly disappointed with Jedi Outcast following of from Jedi Knight. I don't think the same amount of effort was put into that one. Certainly not the same budget. Jedi Academy was decent, but underwhelming. For me play this series up till Jedi Knight then forget about it.

This is an actually good mmorpg. With 8 classes to choose from, which you'll be making light or dark side decision within each of the stories, you'll have blast playing through multiple times. The game has seen improvements since its launch, and it has become nicer for f2p or preferred status, which is one time $5 payment.
Well sure if you want an example of how EA doesn't know how to do a F2P game.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Kote!
Kandosii sa ka'rta, Vode an.
Coruscanta a'den mhi, Vode an.
Bal kote, darasuum kote,
Jorso'ran kando a tome.
Sa kyr'am nau tracyn kad, Vode an.
Kandosii sa ka'rta, Vode an.
Coruscanta a'den mhi, Vode an.
Bal...
Motir ca'tra nau tracinya.
Gra'tua cuun hett su dralshy'a.
Aruetyc talyc runi'la solus cet o'r.
Motir ca'tra nau tracinya.
Gra'tua cuun hett su dralshy'a.
Aruetyc talyc runi'la trattok'o.
Sa kyr'am nau tracyn kad, Vode an!

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
No Republic Commando? That game was the shit back then, one of the few games I've played that actually had intelligent friendly AI.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Sean Hollyman said:
No Republic Commando? That game was the shit back then, one of the few games I've played that actually had intelligent friendly AI.
How could you not get my reference in the post above?!

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
OP here.

I said these are the SW games I have been playing lately. I know there are other great star wars games out there, but I never got around to play them

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
Sean Hollyman said:
How could you not get my reference in the post above?!
I did. I was referring to the OP >_>

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
sgy0003 said:
OP here.

I said these are the SW games I have been playing lately. I know there are other great star wars games out there, but I never got around to play them
Then what are you waiting for, stop making threads and play them :D

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Love KOTOR, not a fan of KOTOR II.

I like Battlefront II and the LEGO games.

Republic Commando was fun.

I did not like The Force Unleashed games at all.

The Old Republic I am so mixed on.

I don't like Shadow of the Empire.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
Natemans said:
Ok. I'll bite. What about KotOR did you like that the sequel didn't provide?

OP: X-Wing, TIE Fighter, X-Wing versus TIE Fighter are legendary, yet missing. Please explain.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Ironman126 said:
KOTOR 1 was pretty darn good. KOTOR 2 cranked it up to freaking 11 in the main story/main characters department with Kreia leading the pack, although the worlds themselves and the characters in those worlds in 2 weren't really as cool and fascinating at all as those in 1.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Ironman126 said:
Natemans said:
I suspect the fact KOTOR 2 has an incredibly messy and abrupt endgame(due to the criminally short and rushed development period because apparently it just had to be out for Crimmis that year) has a lot to do with it.

That reminds me. I need to replay it with the restored content patch and see if it significantly improves the game.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Canadamus Prime said:

Well sure if you want an example of how EA doesn't know how to do a F2P game.
TOR is so freaking dated, just not in terms of monetization, but in terms of actual gameplay. The impeccable Shamus Young [http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=16580] pointed out the problems with TORs gameplay 5 years ago and by modern standards it is just sub-par in just about every category. Even the lauded voiced quest givers and "great side quests" haven't stood up to the test of time.

If you absolutely must play a game where you are better off looking at the bottom fourth of your screen instead of the graphics of the game, WoW is the better game. If you want engaging gameplay, there are plenty of MMOs out there that are better.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Let's cut Sgy some slack here; there are something like 150 different Star Wars games (astonishing for a franchise that's only 40 years old); I doubt anyone has played them all. This is doubly true considering that Lucasarts seemed to fully embrace the law of compensation; the games were either great or terrible, with very few being simply average. And the quality (probably) balances itself out: for every Rebel Assault, there was a Rebel Assault 2, but for every Rebel Assault 2, there was a Rebel Assault. For every Dark Forces, there was a Kinect Star Wars, and for every Rebellion, there was a Yoda Stories.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Recusant said:
and for every Rebellion, there was a Yoda Stories.
But I liked Yoda Stories. :(

Squilookle said:
[

Shadows was shit. You can't hide from that forever so may as well come to terms with it now.
Never!