Discuss and Rate the Last Album You've Listened To

Sneed's SeednFeed

Elite Member
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Azerbaijan
Man Alive
I'm amazed that the British let gingers not only make music but also multiply. This man is a fearsome djinn, heavily inspired by Britpop and by Radiohead/10

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Funny thing, I just dusted off Girlfriend, by Matthew Sweet last night. Hadn't listened to that album in a LOOOONG time. I forgot how good it was, and how much of a nostalgic nerve it would hit for me. It instantly dregged up memories of a particular girl back when I was a teenager, and how I felt about her.

Plus the songs are just really good. Looking at the Sun, Girlfriend, Evangeline being some of my favorites.

Can't find a good youtube link for the full album, as they seem to leave off certain songs. But this is the song that if you've heard of Matthew Sweet, it's from this video.

Martintox

Mister Disorder
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
George Clanton - Slide

Prior to this, Clanton had released an album titled virtua.zip, a genuinely really good vaporwave album that managed to capture the vibe of the genre with close to no sampling. This record takes it to the next level with a massive, abrasive mix of new age synthesizers and dense percussion lines. The songs are somewhat repetitive on the whole, but that's merely a result of the groove-centric approach to composition. While the more explosive numbers are generally the standouts, there are some quieter pieces to add some welcome variety, particularly the stunning "Encore" with sequenced flutes that sound like they came straight out of Myst. Easily the best vaporwave record I've ever heard. 8/10.

Reactions: Sneed's SeednFeed

morsomk

The Shape of Water was the worst movie of 2017.
Legacy
Apr 8, 2020
Hell
Country
Cold
Nothing like the good old low frequency version to start your day. Drones are also awesome. 8/10

Reactions: Martintox

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
If These Trees Could Talk, their self titled debut album

Learned of these guys due to their song being in an inFamous trailer back in the day.

I fucking love inFamous, it and 2 are probably some of my loved games of all time. And this song, with this edited footage, just, really hit me hard.

Tracked down these guys, and found I really dig their haunting, post-prog rock style. It's just really awesome to listen to at night, in the dark, with maybe just the lights from outside shining through your blinds, letting your mind just sort of drift in a semi-meditative trance, and suddenly finding yourself asleep, which for me is hard to accomplish. Their other albums are really good too, though it can be said they suffer from a little lack of variation in my opinion. But, I like what they do, so I don't really mind that the albums do sort of blend into each other, style wise.

Martintox

Mister Disorder
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Talisman - Talisman

A hard rock album in a similar vein as the likes of Journey or Boston, with big hooks and choruses but a heavier sound than its influences. What's interesting is that it features vocalist Jeff Scott Soto and multi-instrumentalist Marcel Jacob, both of which were part of Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force. Not exactly a hidden gem, but a more than solid album with some surprisingly heavy slammers like "Break Your Chains" or "I'll Be Waiting". 7/10.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
IDLES - Ultra Mono (2020)
I rather like the first two IDLES albums, Brutalism and Joy As An Act of Resistance, so it does not bring me great pleasure to report that I am not impressed with their latest outing. The first track, War, very much sets the tone for the rest of the album. It's a well performed, well composed bit of post punk with nice crunchy guitars, that is also totally undercut by some properly terrible lyrics. This is a song which contains the line "Wa-ching! Ha! That's the sound of the sword going in!". They then have the fucking temerity to end it with a line lifted from one of my favourite Mclusky songs, To Hell With Good Intentions. The album is a mixture of other songs like War which are undercut by Talbot's schoolboy level poetry or trite political sloganing, and genuinely all around terrible songs like Grounds which sounds like it was fished out of Trent Reznor's dustbin. I do not use the phrase "a worse lyricist than Pat Monahan" lightly, but if frontman Joe Talbot doesn't buck up his ideas I cannot see myself voluntarily listening to an IDLES album again. He's also got the gall to try to dab on the haters in the song The Lover, which was never going to come across well considering that it's absolutely surrounded by examples of why people don't like him. The best song on the album is A Hymn, where the band gives up trying to be themselves and gives being Protomartyr a go instead, which yields considerably better results than the bland slop that makes up the rest of the tracklist, but doesn't exactly set my world on fire when we have an actual, new, brilliant Protomartyr album that released this year. It's not an album that's totally without merit but Talbot's verbal manure being spread all over it means I will be very disinclined to spin it ever again. 4/10