• Total voters

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's awfully polite of those guys to wait and queue up to take him on one by one. It seems very unkind to give one of them a potentially lethal wound after they've offered him such a huge sporting chance.
It's no Drive (1997), but there are plenty of martial arts films that did the mook chivalry dance too. The 90s had this problem with many, but not all, and Best of the Best 4 is not unique to this problem. I still enjoy it. I admit that 2 and 3 have the best action in terms of being over-the-top. Also does not help that Kiss of the Dragon does this scene better 3 years later.

Last edited:

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
It's no Drive (1997), but there are plenty of martial arts films that did the mook chivalry dance too. The 90s had this problem with many, but not all, and Best of the Best 4 is not unique to this problem. I still enjoy it. I admit that 2 and 3 have the best action in terms of being over-the-top. Also does not help that Kiss of the Dragon does this scene better 3 years later.
My limited experience of martial arts (which is swords) is that in the real world, if you're outnumbered by people who are at least reasonably competent, you're very close to screwed even if a master and your best tactic is to run away or find a bottleneck.

In movies of course the real world doesn't need to matter - I suspect it's a lot more that it makes the fight choreography vastly less complicated and risky for the participants.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
My limited experience of martial arts (which is swords) is that in the real world, if you're outnumbered by people who are at least reasonably competent, you're very close to screwed even if a master and your best tactic is to run away or find a bottleneck.

In movies of course the real world doesn't need to matter - I suspect it's a lot more that it makes the fight choreography vastly less complicated and risky for the participants.
There is a psychological component to it as well, though its probably more prevalent in street fights than the nitty gritty of war. In the Jack Reacher movie, he's in a 5 v 1 situation - which is a pretty good approximation of fucked - but he explains once he kicks the leader's ass then its good odds he's got one or two enthusiastic wingmen but everyone else is gonna back off because they're cowards who don't want to get hurt. They don't, but their attacks once they all get in are less effective because they're afraid of Reacher. Which works better in the lurid pages of the books cos in those Reacher is like, 6'6" and built like a brick shithouse.

The explanation is at roughly 2:17 of this. But even then there is narrative contrivance: the five are a bunch of small town bullies and Reacher is a skilled combatant and his previous occupation was being the guy who arrests other soldiers: gotta be a hard ass to do that. So not only can he hit, but he can take a hit and reliably keep on swinging better than these guys can.

Then again, one of them could have hit him in the right spot in the temple and killed him outright had this fight occured in real life. Fate is a fickle *****.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Judgement Night, 1993

I've been back in '90's rock and rap nostalgia which, as these things go, brought me to the soundtrack for this "urban" thriller film. The movie and the soundtrack are quite a snapshot of the times.
You got an all-star cast: Emilio Estevez, Stephen Dorff, Jeremy Piven, Cuba Gooding Jr, Dennis Leary
You got a decent premise: a boys' night out goes awry and devolved into a claustrophobic strugge for survival
The score and direction are pretty solid.
But then.... the script. Good lord, it's just one absurd turn after another peppered with try-hard dudebro dialogue. Worst of all the film tries to have its political/social themes both ways, taking advantage of the popular terror of urban street crime but without realistic economic, racial and cultural context. And it's one of those movies that feels like it's 5 years too late- like the writers watched too many Dirty Harry and Death Wish sequels and didn't realize it was the '90's already.

The soundtrack is remembered for having original songs resulting in collaborations between rap and rock acts. So we're in the birth of "rap-rock," a much-maligned subgenre because of rock bands like Limp Bizkit, Korn and Stained that annoyed critics and parents. But this rap-rock is literally just rappers and rockers so it's actually pretty good! The song playing in the movie to book-end the action is by indy power pop darlings Teenage Fanclub with rap legends De La Soul. Slayer and Ice-T do a song that made me wonder if that's what inspired the latter's own thrash band Body Count, of "Cop Killer" fame. Faith No More and Samoan rap/singer Boo-Yaa TRIBE had a minor hit that, according to wikipedia was "blamed" for rap-rock but screw that, Faith ruled and the song is a jam. Of course Cypress Hill is on a couple of songs and Sir Mix-A-Lot can't NOT mention black women's asses no matter what he's doing. The fact that the bands include both metal (Helmet, Biohazard, Slayer) and alternative rock bands beloved by critics (Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, Mudhoney) makes it truly an interesting batch of songs.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

At least he grabs a sword, so nobody wants to get stabbed. Plus, it's still better than all the Jason Bourne crap that came out and afterwards with the horrible shaky cam. I'd like to see what's going on in the action I watch.
There is a psychological component to it as well, though its probably more prevalent in street fights than the nitty gritty of war. In the Jack Reacher movie, he's in a 5 v 1 situation - which is a pretty good approximation of fucked - but he explains once he kicks the leader's ass then its good odds he's got one or two enthusiastic wingmen but everyone else is gonna back off because they're cowards who don't want to get hurt. They don't, but their attacks once they all get in are less effective because they're afraid of Reacher. Which works better in the lurid pages of the books cos in those Reacher is like, 6'6" and built like a brick shithouse.

The explanation is at roughly 2:17 of this. But even then there is narrative contrivance: the five are a bunch of small town bullies and Reacher is a skilled combatant and his previous occupation was being the guy who arrests other soldiers: gotta be a hard ass to do that. So not only can he hit, but he can take a hit and reliably keep on swinging better than these guys can.

Then again, one of them could have hit him in the right spot in the temple and killed him outright had this fight occured in real life. Fate is a fickle *****.
They are rebooting the franchise into a TV series. And the character, Jack, is 6' 6" this time.

Last edited:

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Sure - there's definitely a psychological component. I'm sure there are people who win fights simply from willingness to take and inflict harm, where lesser hearts quail. And thank god hearts quail easily, otherwise human existence would be much shorter and more brutish.

There's also a big difference with unarmed vs. sword (dagger / axe /etc) where being outnumbered is much more dangerous. Using a sword, you really need to block with with your sword as your arms and legs aren't really suited to the task, so you have less to stop incoming attacks. Plus you have vastly reduced options to "take a hit": you can risk taking a punch in a way you absolutely could not from a weapon. Nevertheless, even in unarmed combat, I am skeptical even a martial arts master would beat ~4 decently trained opponents.

From stories I've read of real-life medieval swordfights, they were often really fucking messy if the fighters weren't armoured. Pretty good chance even the winner needed substantial medical assistance, or both fighters ended in a grave.

Reactions: BrawlMan

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
My Son ("my pwoor boi") - Prime
You got your basic dadsploitation going on here, falling about less than halfway on the spectrum between 'Taken' and 'Prisoners' despite a noticeable effort to make it further towards the 'Prisoners' camp. Some quite attractive, moody shots of Scotland along with a sombre soundtrack tricks you into thinking it might have more going on that it actually does. James McAvoy and Claire Foy are your prepackaged "mother raises son while father off working abroad" couple. I suppose the one difference here is the kidnapped child is a boy instead of those unsettling hordes of dolly white girls. Is that an equality? It kinda feels like a half equality? A barely registered half equality? The whisps from a fading shadow of half equality that you maybe glanced through the window out of the corner of your eye before you crashed your car at 80mph into the local village postbox?

Anywaaaay, boi goes missing, dad goes searching, police are not to be trusted too, all very mysterious indeed. There's no action because this is trying to be more than it is, remember, so while action does occur, it's either off-screen or a trick. At least some more shots of moody Scotland return again with their best friend "the sulking cello" ...very appreciated, thanks film. Yet the narrative plays out like a basic b**** action rescue, so there's little else explored nor any bleak-as-fuck surprises to warrent the enticing atmosphere neither. By the end credits, I can see they tried their best, but the best was built upon a husk of a basic plot in need of more than just mood.

Also, as time has moved onto more complicated issues within society lately, I cannot help but wonder every time I come across this genre how much of these films are validating qanon believers' broken perception of this world as solid truth if or when they watch them. These modern cults are making even movies harder to enjoy, god fucking damnit.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Guns, God and Government (2002)

Marilyn Mason - Guns, God and Government (2002).mkv_snapshot_00.37.29.740.jpg

Never seen that before. It's obscene. Manson shows us his anus.

Seems whatever digital camera they used couldn't keep up with the bright flashes of light.

Marilyn Mason - Guns, God and Government (2002).mkv_snapshot_00.07.48.559.jpg

Can't decide yet if I found it good.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

This is why a lot of Jackie Chan's movies should be emulated more. A running theme (heh) in them is Jackie trying to get away from his opponents, especially when he's outnumbered. So it changes the feel from a super competent super hero easily knocking down chumps to a guy in over his head and just barely scraping by.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The Goldfinch: Good / Great

A young boy loses his mother in an explosion at an art museum, and finds himself in possession of an extremely coveted painting which he stole in the ensuing chaos following said explosion. As he attempts a life of normalcy, he's thrown curveballs in the form of displacement, drugs, alcohol, abuse, etc. The film flip flops between his [present day] adult years and his youth immediately following the tragedy, and the one throughline is this painting he keeps a closely guarded secret the entire time. And in a highly unlikely twist, it all culminates in some very unexpected and convoluted ways.

A decent film. It's a bit hard to follow initially as they jump between time periods and locations often enough that you're not sure where or when he is at given moments, but by the end, you're mostly able to follow the various threads and recognize where they started and how they fit in the moment. Some of it feels very put on at times, like, leading conversations the viewer has no context for, but it doesn't go out of its way to distort the progression of the film in any offensive ways. The ending is satisfactory, but leaves a few questions. They try to blow it off with a campy "we all do bad things, but sometimes it's ultimately for the right-if-unexpected reasons" lesson in the duality of morality to try and redeem the protagonist's character, but it doesn't sour the overall experience. I'd recommend it.

EDIT: It is a bit slow and plodding for its 2hr 30min runtime, particularly in the beginning (first hour) as it insists on keeping its cards close to its chest, but makes good in the end.

Last edited:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
American Pie 1, 2, American Wedding and American Reunion

(Own copies)

Ratings:
1 = 7/10 better than I remember
2 = 7/10 worse than I remember it
American Wedding = 5/10 bordering on trash
American Reunion = 7/10

Thoughts:
So I finally decided to watch the main core series fully. I've never seen the last two though I think I may have seen part of American Wedding at some point. It's kind of a tough series to really rate because what am I rating on boobs per minute or story quality so consider the ratings I've given to be somewhat of a hybrid of it from the perspective of somewhat sleazy seeming teen comedy esc film to a perspective of a well done film with well done plot structure.

The 4 films follow the lives of 4 friends from the end of highschool until their 13 year school reunion with there being a joke that due to a screw up no-one organised one for the 10th anniversary so now one is happening later when some-one finally realised it was due time.

With American Pie 1 I actually enjoyed it far more than when I first saw it seeing all the plot threads happening with the 4 guys trying to get laid.

Without spoiling too much

Jim is trying to get with the hot exchange student Nadia who seems to like him with his arc being kind of learning it may not just be guys who are horny and want after prom sex.

Kevin's arc is about him and his GF Vicky with him trying to deal with his relationship issues mainly she doesn't want to sleep with him unless he says he loves her and he doesn't want to say I love you because he wants it to mean something and is worried about them not carrying on together.

Finch has his arc about the dangers of playing with notoriety and how quickly things can change for good or for bad

Oz has his arc about trying to get in touch with his feelings and actually trying to care for some-one with him learning about what he sees as mattering to him in life.

Stifler has no arc because Stifler is a dick

I really have to admit I never noticed first time through how they managed to weave Michelle into the story in a slightly subtle way as she just comes off as a slightly odd side character who keeps popping up like a number of others who do showing how she's always been there on the periphery of the group

I also enjoyed how one of the rumours about Finch ends up coming true at the end

American Pie 2

Due to how 1 ends I'll put this all in spoilers going forward for thoughts on the other films other than a vague over-view and thoughts

Originally I really enjoyed this film far more but on rewatching the characters mostly don't have much going on arc wise outside of Jim who becomes far more the main focus of the film

Kevin and the guys rent a beachside house for the summer working summer jobs to pay for it and partying on the weekends with the intention being to throw a big end of summer party thing

Jim's arc: With Nadia visiting the USA again after having to go home due to Jim somewhat accidentally livestreaming her with him and him prematurely ejaculating before they did anything in the first film and Michelle having left him before he woke up after the Prom after they had sex Jim is determined to be with Nadia and is determined to give Nadia a night to remember, the problem is he doesn't know if he's any good only being with 1 other girl and having been interrupted when he was trying to get with one at the start of the film. So he has to go and find Michelle at band camp to ask her. Eventually asking her for advice to help him get better and to basically help him learn to be better at sex. After an accident with mixing up lube and superglue Jim ends up injured such that he'll only be healed just in time for the party and just in time for Nadia. However Nadia shows up almost a week early and after going to see Michelle she suggests to give Jim a week longer to heal and for her to train him they'll pretend to be boyfriend and girlfriend for the week up until the party and break up. After the fake break up and with Jim finally healed and ready to finally have sex with Nadia he suddenly realises that Nadia was who he used to want to be with that was pre college Jim and now he's developed actual feelings for Michelle who it was hinted had developed deeper feelings for him.

Kevin has to deal with running into Vicky again after their break up eventually coming to terms with them not being together but wanting to have her still in his life as a friend.

Finch tries to understand why Stifler's mother whom he shagged after prom was so good and gets into Tantra trying to prepare for her coming to the party at the end of summer.

Oz has to deal with Heather being on a summer exchange program so being apart from her for most of summer with their relationship having carried on through the first year of College.

Stifler tries to prove that the neighbours he and the guys are working as house painters for are actually a lesbian couple. Stifler learns nothing ultimately.

I felt like a lot of the other arcs were cut way down here to focus far more on Jim's arc and I'd almost say Nadia gets a better arc than some of the main cast as does side character Sherman from the first film who ends up with Nadia. Though I will give them credit for having one of the other rumours about Finch become true as Him and Stifler did get into a fight and Stifler did have to go to hospital to get stitches allegedly the previous year shortly after the party and Stifler having walked in on Finch and his mother

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
American Wedding:

This one felt like a quick cash grab really that tried to go too hard into the screwed up gross out stuff with only a few of the jokes really landing and again in terms of arcs it feels kind of laser focussed far more but feels like it was rushed or done as a cash in rather than a film really well thought out and planned with the desire to make it a proper entry.

It's now the end of College and Jim and Michelle are still together with Jim proposing to Michelle then trying to work to make her wedding perfect and the initial plan is no Stifler, unfortunately Stifler crashes an engagement party and ends up finding out about the wedding with Jim not wanting to be mean and struggling to say no only saying yes as Stifler begins to prove there may be more to him than the guys realise.

Jim = has a bit of a wobble worried if he's made a mistake proposing to Michelle but realises they're great for one another shortly after. He then has to try and prove to her parents that he is worthy of their daughter and works to try and put on the best wedding possible for her.

Kevin = has no arc he just exists, it's mentioned he has a date for the wedding but we never meet her.

Oz and Heather are not there at all and not mentioned at all.

Stifler = initially starts out trying to get in on Jim's wedding having not been invited initially but trying to prove why he should be there mainly to throw a kick ass bachelor party and Jim agreeing because Stifler can dance and offers to teach Jim to dance for the wedding. But this changes when he meets Michelle's sister whose just finished her first year of college and is still a virgin because she's looking for the right guy. This prompts Stifler to try and impress her and her parents by pretending to be a intellectual refined gentleman. Eventually through a series of events Stifler is going to sleep with Michelle's sister and decides to grab a flower from storange and a bottle of champagne to celebrate. He's delayed by Finch showing up and while he's bragging to Finch about how he's about to sleep with Michelle's sister and all the things he's going to do, she appears behind him and see's and hears the full display with Finch saying "I present to you the real Steven Stifler" and she rejects him. Also Stifler messing with the flowers and in the fridge and grabbing the champagne has killed all the flowers by changing the temperature controls. Jim suggests Stifler should leave.

On the way home Stifler is annoyed mostly with himself and decides to fix things, tracking down to florist and pulling in the aid of the football team he works as assitant coach for to fix the flower arrangements, transport them to the venue and set them up, Also through his actions Jim's grandmother who opposes the wedding due to Michelle not being jewish comes round to the idea and is now happy to let the wedding happen. Seeing that he's not all bad inside Michelle's sister does choose to sleep with him.

Finch = Initially is working to help Jim set up Michelle's dream wedding meets Michelle's sister and falls for her. With Stifler pretending to be the good guy intellectual Finch decides to pretend to be a devil may care asshole guy imitating how Stifler normally acts. However seeing how she really isn't into the intellectual stuff much and prefer the sort of crass personality Stifler has he acknowledges maybe it wasn't meant to be. At the end of the wedding he finds Stifler's mom was also invited and hey once again go off together

This felt like a cash grab without the heart of the other films with lots of characters you might have expected to pop up just missing. None of Michelle's band friends turn up obviously to the wedding. No Oz or Heather or even mention of them and somehow they invited Stifler's mom and two guy who literally in American Pie 1 were named Milf guy 1 and Milf guy 2

American Reunion

Surprisingly a return to form and feels far more like the first film both in terms of multiple character arcs and oddly far less gross out humour (maybe actually to the point it does feel tame and they could have pushed it a bit more). All the main characters have arcs, side characters get development to though they do gloss over some stuff. Taking place 13 years after the first film with the joke being due to no-one realising when it was they missed their 10 year reunion so are having one 13 years on instead It also gives everyone reasons to go to the reunion mostly too.

Jims arc = Jim and Michelle are married with a kid but worried because they've not had sex since and are worried they're drifting apart and their marriage is running into trouble. Their plan with by staying at Jim's old family home with Jim's dad and also Michelle's aunt nearby they have people who can care for their child and give them some alone time. This is complicated by the introduction of the daughter of Jim's neighbour, Kara, who now 18 is looking to love her virginity to some-one special, that person it turns out she has set her sights on Jim as the guy who was her former babysitter who she developed a crush on years on. Jim also now works at an advertising company. Things are made worse due to AJ, Kara's obnoxious boyfriend. Eventually as you can figure after mishaps Michelle finally comes to the reunion and her and Jim get a bit of alone time, just before Nadia and her date interrupt them.

Oz's arc = Oz is a successful LA sports show host whose a celebrity in his own right having gone on a celebrity dance show with where Hulk Hogan was also competing. He has a luxurious home with Jacuzzi and is dating Mia whose a professional model. Oz's reason for coming to the reunion is somewhat to just be himself again and escape a bit of the celebrity life of high end parties. Things get complicated when he runs into Heather again and her new boyfriend Doctor Ron, Heather having broke up with Oz when he was moving to LA and she was training to be a nurse. Oz realises he still love Heather and how just how much Mia is different to what he wants in life which is some-one not quite so wild and more restrained. It's revealed Heather also has feelings for him after Doctor Ron somewhat humiliates Oz by getting everyone to watch him dance rapping on the celebrity dancing show. After an incident with Oz, Mia and Heather with the later two fighting Mia goes back to LA having with Oz saying it's over between them. Eventually Oz ends up kissing Heather as they dance at the reunion much to the annoyance of Dr Ron who starts hurling insults and trying to humiliate Oz. As Oz begins to get angry Dr Ron points out Oz can't do anything as if he punches him he'll sue Oz for everything he has. Stifler then punches Dr Ron and comments "I aint' got jack shit so feel free to sue me for all of it". Oz decides to take a break from his job and to spend more time with Heather and figure out some way to make things work in his life such that he can be with her. Oz does apologise for missing Jim's wedding but the reason why is never explained

Kevin is living in LA with his wife Elena and is a work from home architect whose ended up sinking into the domestic life of soaps and reality shows. His reason for coming to the reunion is to escape for a bit because he really needs a break from the shows etc that he's seemingly watching just because his wife enjoys them. Things get complicated when he runs into Vicky again and finds out she's recently single. Still feeling things for her after a night at a lake side party where him and Vicky apparently went missing he wakes up in bed with her in his underwear. Fearing he has cheated on his wife he somewhat offends Vicky by suggesting something happened. It's revealed while drunk he fell into the lake and Vicky jumped in to help him so they both got soaked and had to strip right down and not knowing where he was staying Vicky took him to where she was staying and shared the bed with him. Vicky saying she was offended that he would think she'd do something knowing he was married. Eventually Kevin says he still feels for her but he loves his wife, Vicky says she still feels for him too with them both realising that feeling will always be something there but not something they will act on. His story sort of ends with his wife at the reunion suggesting Vicky come dance with them suggesting Kevin and Vicky's friendship may live on into the future.

Finch = After apparently going off the grid and being an international man of adventure and excitement from underground betting tournaments to living with tribes people in the desert to avoid legal repercussions Finch is seen as the envy of a lot of people but one thing he still hasn't done is found love. While at a bar with the guys he runs into a former bad friend of Michelle who also remembers him and they hit it off with her wanting to travel too and sharing some of the same kind of nerdy interests. Finch's reason for coming to the reunion is eventually revealed that he wanted the mystique and to be seen as an international man of adventure and cultural exploration again by people because in reality he's had to settle down and take a job as deputy manager of a Staples office supply store. This comes out after he gets arrested as it's revealed he stole his managers motorbike to turn up to meet the guys on after being screwed out of a raise by his manager. It' revealed Michelle's friend remembering him and being into him isn't because of his mystique and the idea of him being some great world traveller and culture explorer but because he was in her words he was "Always nice to her in highschool" With it being implied unlike many others.

Stifler = He's ended up as an intern at a global media company and is bottom of the ladder without his own desk and an abusive asshole boss. It's never explained what happened between him and Michelle's sister after the wedding but can be assumed they broke up and assume he somehow quit or lost his position as assistant coach. Stifler's reason for coming to the reunion is to have fun like the old days with the boys. His arc is realising things have changed somewhat but also embracing his position as he dick of the group and using it to his advantage somewhat with him turning the tables to insult his boss also earlier fighting off AJ who was attacking Jim and later punching Doctor Ron. Stifler eventually meets Finch's mom who says she was a former head cheerlader with a thing for Lacrosse players, Sifler being a former Lacrosse player and they bond over finding Finch a bit weird. Stifler's arc and long running animosity with Finch finally comes full circle as Stifler ends up sleeping with Finch's mother.

Sherman = didn't stay with Nadia, ended up with some other girl, got married, had a kid and got divorced and is now somewhat unhappily single. Stifler ends up sort of match making him with an ex of his,

Nadia = Married a guy who looks like a shorter version of Jim

Jessica = is a lesbian now and has a life partner who scares Stifler with her vice life hand shake.

Milf Guy 1 = Arranged the reunion and is glad everyone turned up but him and Milf Guy 2 are no longer friends for what's implied to be one putting in all the effort in the friendship. Milf guy 2 turns up at the end of the reunion and they reconcile and together they shout milf multiple times.

Jim's dad = Noah is a widower and has been for 3 years since Jim's mother died and he's trying to get back out there. Initially Jim tries to set him up online dating then he comes to Stiflers reunion party and Stifler gets him drunk, he ends up stumbling into Stifler's mom's room and they talk about the antics their kids have been up to and start to flirt slightly. It's eventually revealed they start dating and Jim's dad very much gets "back in the dating game" dating Stifler's mom.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Blow The Man Down: A'ight / Great

Two young women in a small Maine fishing town lose their mother, and at her funeral, discover they're losing their home due to some debts their mom left behind. The eldest wants to buckle down and fix things while the younger, disaffected with the small town fishing life, storms off in a huff to a local bar. She meets a man, and leaves with him. She quickly learns it was an ill-advised decision as she sees signs he has killed someone. After a brief pursuit onto a pier, she manages to kill him. She returns home and tells her sister what happened, and the rest of the film is an elaborate effort to cover it up, and during this, they discover some sordid secrets of their small town, their mother and their mother's friends...

Not bad. Watch if you want to.

Black Box: Good / Great

After a car accident leaves a man with severe amnesia and kills his wife, we find him living with his very young daughter who structures his life with constant reminders and guidance to keep him on track. After failing to remember to pick his daughter up from school again, he agrees to an experimental, hypnosis procedure that promises to restore his memory. The procedure requires that he probe his memories, and he soon finds himself experiencing memories that aren't his, and questioning what little of his identity he has left...

A good movie if a bit corny. Ultimately, when what's going on is revealed, you'll likely roll your eyes, but it strikes a nerve when you consider the ethics (or lack thereof) involved. Well acted, but in my humble opinion, Swan Song does a better, more austere job of a similar theme.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Here Today: Good / Great

Charlie Burnz (Billy Crystal) plays an elder writer on a popular sketch comedy show (think SNL) who's experiencing progressively-worsening dementia, and keeping that fact secret from everyone. One day, fate drops Emma Payge (Tiffany Haddish) in his lap for a lunch date. After an incident involving a shellfish allergy, he rushes her to the hospital where she coerces him into paying the $2,000 medical bills, but promises to repay him. He doesn't expect to see her or the money again, but true to her word, she shows up at his apartment with an installment of her debt. The two strike up an unlikely friendship, and she figures out his condition, becomes his confidant, and tries to help him enjoy and appreciate the time he's got left.

I thought it was really good. It was nice seeing Crystal in an emotional and dramatic role, but still being himself. The only sore spot for me was Haddish. She's just grating, and can't act her way out of a paper bag. You'd think that might ruin the movie, but once you accept that she's going to do her thing, you can get by it and enjoy the film as a whole.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Tarzan (6/10)

This is the 1999 Disney film, retroactively seen as the end of its Renaissance era. On that specific note, I'd say either the Renaissance Era has to extend to Emperor's New Groove, or it has to end early, because this film isn't exactly stellar. That's not to say it's bad either, but this film's got issues. First among which is that this film feels like two different films sandwiched together. The first, taking up the first third, extends from the start, to the point of Sabor's death, and the arrival of Jane and co. The second is everything after that point. Neither part feels all that congruent with the other, in that events in the first part don't have much bearing on the second.

So, anyway, you know the story - Tarzan's parents crash land off the coast of Africa (not sure where, or which coast, but meh), and they're killed by a leopard, which has killed an ape child, so Tarzan's taken in by the apes, yadda yadda yadda. Tarzan's ape dad dislikes him, and his ape friend (Turk) is, unlike Turk from Scrubs, mostly waddling the line between endearing and annoying, and not always staying on the former side. Tarzan's most pressing issue at this point is getting the approval of the fellow apes, most importantly, ape dad. Cue song sequence "Son of Man" that's the only song in this film that's remotely memorable. I've seen criticisms of this film that all the lyrics are sung by voiceover rather than the characters themselves. I think that might have something to do with it, but whatever the case, Son of Man is the only one that sticks out.

What also sticks out is that it's over this sequence that Tarzan is shown to be able to craft spears. I actually found myself reminded of The Jungle Book at this point - both stories have a young boy in India/Africa taken in by apes/wolves, who can't fit in, and displays ingenuity that the creatures can't match, while being outmatched physically. One of my favourite lines in Disney's live-action Jungle Book for instance was when Bagheera tells Mowgli "you're a man. Fight him [Shere Khan] like a man." By extension, you could draw comparisons between Sabor and Shere Khan, but Sabor is much, MUCH weaker as a character. And similarly, while we do see Tarzan using a spear, little attention is drawn to it. The way frames are shot, I think the writers (or at least the animators) were aware of this crucial difference between humans and other simians, that it's our brains that have allowed us to survive more than anything, but if so, the film never explores it. Tarzan is shown using other ingenuity to help the apes, but again, it's not a major plot point.

Also, going back a bit, one of the best points in the movie is where Kala comforts Tarzan, where she tells him (paraphrased) "what do I see? Two eyes, like mine. A nose, like mine." I can't remember the exact words, but this is one of the best moments in the movie. I doubt it was the writers' intention, but in addition to being a mother-son bonding moment, I like how it reinforces the similarities between humans and apes. We're still all part of the simian family and whatnot, so this shared moment of humanity is very effective.

Anyway, Tarzan becomes an adult, by which point an elephant character has joined the group. Sounded like a girl as a kid, sounds male now, he's with the ape family because...reasons? Fine, whatever. Regardless, Sabor ends up attacking the apes, and Tarzan beats the kitty in mortal kombat, and performs a fatality (there's actually a fair bit of death in this film, even if none of it is graphic). I'm mixed here. On one hand, the fight sequence is fairly well done, and I love how Tarzan presents Sabor's body to ape dad. It's good visual storytelling. On the other hand, Sabor isn't really a character. He has no dialogue, and despite killing Tarzan's parents and Kala's son, this connection is never brought up in any form across the movie. We, the audience, know that Tarzan has avenged his parents, but none of the characters do. So a lot of potential emotional payoff is squandered. Compare that to other felines doing battle, such as Scar and Simba, or Mowgli vs. Khan. Even if the original Disney film never specified that Khan killed Mowgli's parents, Khan at least engaged Mowgil with dialogue and had a personality. Sabor, on the other hand, is just some predator. And don't tell me that speaking would be unrealistic, all the non-carnivorous animals can talk.

Still, up to this point, things have been decent overall. A 7/10. Regardless, ape dad is "meh" about the whole dead kitty thing, and then the most dangerous species of all arrives. MAN!

It's not all bad. I'll deal with Clayton as a character later, but Jane, despite being in the prime position for a damsel in distress, is actually a pretty good character. Smart, but not invincible. Freaked out by the "wild man" she's encountered, but not terrified. Compassionate, but rational. It's certainly nice, with her showing Tarzan the slides, and slowly warming up to him. What isn't as nice however, is when the gorillas stumble upon the camp, and a musical number starts where they use everything from scientific equipment to cutlery to make music. The movie just...stops, for this, and it commits the cardinal sin of a musical, where the musical number isn't used to develop plot and/or character.

Speaking of plot development, things are still a bit iffy here. For starters, Tarzan learns English fairly quickly, but his fluency seems to go back and forth as the plot demands. There's no "colours of the wind" equivalent, but while we get a brief motange of him learning English from children's books, it doesn't feel as fleshed out as it could have been. The weird thing is, everything from the arrival of the Porters and Clayton takes up the second and third parts of the movie, yet feel rushed, whereas everything before that...not as much. Regardless, Tarzan has to go back and forth between the apes and the humans, despite Kochek warning him to stay away.

So, anyway, Clayton tricks Tarzan into leading him to the gorillas. Tarzan and the Porters are imprisoned on the ship, along with the crew, as Clayton's thugs arrive to capture gorillas to sell them. I may as well address Clayton as an antagonist here - he's not bad, per se, but he's basic. He's a simple character with simple motivations, and there's little buildup to his final confrontation. I'd say that a problem with the film is that it's sharing the spotlight between two primary antagonists (Sabor and Clayton), but I'm not sure if that's the problem per se. Rather, it's that Sabor is a non-character, and Clayton's such a bare bones villain, that payoff from both of their deaths is comparatively limited, compared to, say...I dunno, Jaffar, or even Gaston.

So, Clayton dies (rather horribly - like I said, there's a lot of death in this movie), and ape dad dies as well. Weirdly enough, he's dead because Tarzan disobeyed his orders to stay away from the humans, wereas with Sabor, he was fully in the right, but ape dad appoints Tarzan his successor and holds no grudge. Um...did we get the motivations reversed, or something? Because this is the one point where Kochek is in the right. If Tarzan didn't disobey him, he'd still be alive.

So, anyway, Jane and her dad decide to stay in a hostile jungle environment filled with everything from crocodiles, to malaria, to a hundred other things that can kill them. Ah, true love...I give them two weeks. I mentioned before I liked Jane as a character, but while this decision isn't entirely out of left-field, it does feel like it's at least stepping foot in that field, so to speak.

So, that's Tarzan. I mentioned before that I gave this a 7/10, and for most of the film, it hovered there. However, reaching the end, I realized that I had to give it a 6/10 - the upper side of "okay," rather than the lower side of "good." There's a lot of good individual elements, but as I said, the film feels like two different movies smashed together, where despite the second plotline being longer, doesn't feel as fleshed out as it could have been. It's simply decent, when all the elements are there for something much better.

Is this a weird opinion? I'd argue no. I say "Aladdin," "Little Mermaid," or "Beauty and the Beast," and for better or worse, there's a strong chance you'd think of the Disney versions. I say "Tarzan?" I'd wager that there's no guarantee you'd think of this one. It might be that Tarzan is arguably an anachronism, and certainly the Disney version is free of a lot of problematic elements, but as a film in of itself? Could have been good, but ends up just okay.

Shame. :(

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, what sorta bugs me about the Tarzan adaptations various people have made is that the Tarzan stories are explicity in the same setting as the Barsoom and Pellucidar stories. In the books, Tarzan encounters dinosaurs more than once, and travels to the centre of the Earth in a fancy dirigible that uses vacuum instead of gas. All sorts of weird stuff like that, which never makes it to TV/film.

Reactions: BrawlMan and Hawki

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
In the Mood for Love
9/10
Wong Kar-wai directed Tony Leung Chiu-wai and Maggie Cheung in a cramped Hong Kong apartment where they rent neighboring rooms. An interesting dynamic ensues as their faceless spouses start an affair together. The remastered picture is beautiful. It's set in 1962, and so the setup reminds me of classic old romantic movies like Charade, but of course this is much more realistic. We never get to see the typical scene in which the cheated partner finds out and crumbles, but more interestingly the main characters just kinda figure out the obvious off-screen, and the audience sees what they make of it together. But how many dresses does Cheung's character have? The classic Shanghai style looks really nice on her.

If I have to complain it'd be for some clunky slow mo. Sparingly used, sure, but I dunno if it's effective at anything. Apparently there is an informal sequel called 2046. We'll see when I get to watching that.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Encanto - Was alright.

As a Filipino from a large family, there's plenty to relate to in the movie. I hadn't heard of transgenerational trauma before, so I have this movie to thank for being able to give a name to what I've experienced.

That said, although the movie raises a lot of hard questions (the burdens of the eldest child, not being special enough, lack of communication), it doesn't give a "real" answer to any of them. Which is fair, if there were easy answers to these problems there would be a lot more happy families out there. But it does make the movie a lot more wishy washy than I was hoping it would turn out.

The music is a big part of the movie, and seems to be what most enjoyed about the movie, but eh. Nothing really stuck to me. Could barely understand most of it really.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Mass (NowTV)
Four grieving parents, trying to work their shit out in one room. Done. It's like unwittingly being stuck in an environment undergoing one of the most awkward argument/disagreement you're ever likely to bumble across. If that appeals, then it's recommended. If not, then no. It does what it wants to rather well with a tight focus, topical awareness and faultless performances. I would imagine parents getting more out of this than anti-natal assholes like myself, but no complaints to be had overall really.

The Wretched (Prime)
Modern day, witch story. Witch hunts people to feed off, sometimes wears skins as disguise. Teen boy visiting his father must find way to circumvent witch feasts. Oh and she moves in next door too. Well, moves into the skin of his next door neighbour at least. A little better than the low expectations I went in with. Has a few creepy moments. Nothing mind-blowing, but the general execution is effective enough to not switch off entirely. Slightly above average movie points, have a creased pre-owned golden star sticker!

Last edited:

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Duel (1971), 7/10

Steven Spielberg's first feature length movie, it's about a man in a car getting harassed by and having to deal with a truck on the road. That's it. But there's so much more to unpack in it. You can pick up on undercurrents of gender roles, PTSD, industrialization, environmental issues and marital troubles. Or you can just watch it be about a man struggling with a truck. It never feels like it's trying to be anything else than that, and I'm willing to bet a lot of these things Spielberg didn't even intend. But it's so simple and so tightly scripted that you pick up on the slightest details, since they are put in the film intentionally.

The first act was maybe a bit slow for my tastes, it felt like it was repeating itself somewhat. But it picks up after that and introduces more variety to the proceedings and stays fresh all the way to the end. I love the ending shot especially, since it conveys so much with so little.