Country
United States
Sonic the Hedgehog (54 minutes)

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Wow, didn't think I watched it fourteen years ago. Not really good, but it's likable. Seems to be the only animation that ever made an attempt to look like the games. Why is there a jump spring under that tree? Who cares. Made a few years before Sonic was forever changed from the kid-friendly toon design to the tall, long-haired punk. Sonic Adventure bringing him to Earth really cemented his downfall.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Eye Of The Beast (2007)

The less said about this film the better. It's an absolute travesty of a monster horror devoid of wit, personality, and special effects worth a damn. It is possibly notable only as an example of the dramatic fall from grace of James Van Der Beek. You can be riding high off the back of a smash hit TV show like Dawson's Creek, and then in just a handful of years you find yourself in a Canadian made-for-TV movie about a giant freshwater squid.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sonic Adventure bringing him to Earth really cemented his downfall.
Sonic was already on Earth in the Japanese story and lore versions of the 2D Genesis games. Mobius was nothing more than something made up from the US division to make Sonic a little more unique and separate from the Japanese. Hell, the Sonic OVA implies to take place on Earth. Sonic and Tails runs through the remains of New York City that is part of Eggman Land/Robotropolis. So it's the OVA taking another element from the games. Nothing new there. Of course, the age of the internet could keep these stories separate forever. It's no different from following the Japanese lore from the Contra series as the actual canon. Considering how much the US division of Konami liked changing the backstories in their games for no reason. Don't even get me started on the UK/EU division with Probotector.

I am happy to see another fan any way. I still have my VHS copy of the OVA. I find it better than Sonic X.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Sonic was already on Earth in the Japanese story and lore versions of the 2D Genesis games. Mobius was nothing more than something made up from the US division to make Sonic a little more unique and separate from the Japanese. Hell, the Sonic OVA implies to take place on Earth. Sonic and Tails runs through the remains of New York City that is part of Eggman Land/Robotropolis. So it's the OVA taking another element from the games. Nothing new there. Of course, the age of the internet could keep these stories separate forever. It's no different from following the Japanese lore from the Contra series as the actual canon. Considering how much the US division of Konami liked changing the backstories in their games for no reason. Don't even get me started on the UK/EU division with Probotector.

I am happy to see another fan any way. I still have my VHS copy of the OVA. I find it better than Sonic X.
I didn't really know what to think of that. Wondered if maybe it was some alternate version of New York.

Sonic the Hedgehog.mkv_snapshot_16.19.880.jpg

Earth, Mobius, Freedom Planet, the name doesn't matter. What matters is the look. Before Sonic Adventure, it didn't feel like Earth. There weren't metro hubs with cars and people walking around. Sonic Adventure led us to where we are now: Sonic hanging around with live actors in boring Montana.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Wondered if maybe it was some alternate version of New York.
That is because it is, and now you know.

Before Sonic Adventure, it didn't feel like Earth.
True, hence the name change. Sonic has so many continuities now that it really does not matter at this point. I do miss the abstract design of the old games, but most of the new designs didn't bother me. At least they tried brining back more of the abstract elements in the world and stage design with Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations. The Sonic Rush games kept way more of the abstract world design, but that is because they're in another dimension.

Sonic Adventure led us to where we are now: Sonic hanging around with live actors in boring Montana.
Yeah, for like two games. Sonic Adventure 1, and Sonic Adventure 2. SA2 starts off in Downtown San Francisco btw on the Hero Side. Not Montana. After that Sonic Heroes brought back some more fantasy and abstract elements, but clearly still had its Adventure elements taking immediately after SA2. By the time Sonic Unleashed came out, while their were still real world inspired designs, humans no longer looked realistic or photo-realistic. They took on more cartoonish designs to fit with the Sonic cast better. As much as I dislike Unleashed, this I did not have a problem with.

The problem with Sonic today is you got so many "smart ass fans" thinking they know everything with the whole: this is "Sonic/Not Sonic, My Sonic/Not My Sonic!" Or the whole "Sonic was never good or got lucky!" Game critics who don't give a fuck and say dumb bullshit for the clicks or to come off as they have all the answers. This means you too, Yahztee. Sega for trying to please everyone. double downing on one repeated idea and not fixing the rest, or constantly trying to reinvent the wheel. And of course, rushing their games out to meet an arbitrary anniversary deadline or holiday sales! Them going with a different direction in realistic settings for about 4 games total (5 if we count Sonic '06, which we won't), did not ruin everything for the rest of the series. It's just another dumb argument that goes nowhere and solves nothing. You don't like the direction fair enough, something like that going for a more accurate looking Earth never bothered me back then, and sure as hell does not now. I can't even bother to give a fuck. At least they bothered to go back to more abstract looking world and did a fine job for the most part.

I look forward to the next game, but pray they don't fall in to the same trap of taking one idea and running it in to the ground with little or no improvements. I prefer linear Sonic games. This open world is a neat idea, but I don't need 3 more versions of it, should the game be a success.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eye Of The Beast (2007)

The less said about this film the better. It's an absolute travesty of a monster horror devoid of wit, personality, and special effects worth a damn. It is possibly notable only as an example of the dramatic fall from grace of James Van Der Beek. You can be riding high off the back of a smash hit TV show like Dawson's Creek, and then in just a handful of years you find yourself in a Canadian made-for-TV movie about a giant freshwater squid.
Oh, I've seen that one. Yeah, not great, but I did think it was the best Canadian made-for-TV movie about a giant freshwater squid that I've seen, so there's that. Helps to watch a bunch of very samey monster movies in a row first, though.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
omg found one
I don't get it. I mean, I get it's a take on the Niemöller poem, but wtf do BvS, Gotti and Venom have to do with each other? Why would speaking up about Venom make you a virgin? How does any of this relate? Is this memes?

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Eh, virgin shaming used to insult fans of Venom. That part makes some kind of sense, at least.
Ok, if it were the 80s, 90s, and some parts of the early 2000s when comics were seen as "nerdy/geeky" by the main stream. I never even heard of this insult for Venom fans. The ones I head are just blind fans or people who don't think and will watch anything.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ok, if it were the 80s, 90s, and some parts of the early 2000s when comics were seen as "nerdy/geeky" by the main stream.
Eh, the mainstream still sees the mainstream as seeing nerd stuff as weird, despite it being mainstream and the backbone of the entertainment industry for decades. Simultaneously it remains a fringe and so mainstream that people will pretend to be geeks for sinister purposes or whatever.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Eh, the mainstream still sees the mainstream as seeing nerd stuff as weird, despite it being mainstream and the backbone of the entertainment industry for decades. Simultaneously it remains a fringe and so mainstream that people will pretend to be geeks for sinister purposes or whatever.
Depends on where you are and if you're an old fart or not. Not that you have to be old, of course to be A pompous windbag the majority of the mainstream doesn't seem to mind to be Kiki considering how much everyone's talking about the MCU or DCEU, and most comic book movies in general. Especially if they're doing it for clickbaity titles, done hot takes, and trend taking. That glass house must be beautiful from up there, yet they are not interested in anything geeky. But they are more than happy to talk about it. Even if you're using it for manipulative or money purposes, that technically makes them just a manipulative geek or nerd. Bitches be bitches.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Haha, can't even understand 4 layers of irony. Simpletons.
explanation for people that aren't meme scientists:
1) no "Morbiusheads" exist
2) even conceptually the meme alludes to delusional fans of [some IP] who think they will get a critically acclaimed movie... as if it matters
3) the meme simultaneously laments fans for irrationally disliking what other people like and calls Venom fans virgins
4) Gotti is there as a distraction

edit: and the comment itself just means I doubt Morbius is an 8/10 film... though I haven't seen it

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Danger Beneath the Sea

Made for TV movie starring Casper Van Dien as a captain of a nuclear submarine that gets damaged and whose second in command thinks this means it's a good time for a mutiny and to launch nuclear weapons at Russia.

Ok for this sort of thing.