Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Thor: Love and Thunder

A mediocre CG fest with the phony glam rock posturing of Ragnarok but somehow dumber and less fun (or funny). Bale looks intimidating but quickly falls in line with the rest of the Marvel villains whose actions don't make any sense compared to their motivations; he spends most of his limited screen time trying to scare a group of kids who don't look like they're even in the same room. I was reminded of Spy Kids more than anything. Especially once the kids... nvm.

Other than the obvious fatigue that comes with Thor 4: Thor Harder, I'd say the movie has similar problems to Dr. Strange 2: Stranger Still in that something much more interesting seems to be going on in the background of the thing we actually get. You know how Dr. Strange's "Multiverse of Madness" boiled down to like a minute of sightseeing through a bunch of special effects? That's basically what's behind the "God Butcher" moniker. And Thor's over-hyped partnership with the Guardians of the Galaxy. And Thor and Jane's relationship, which is supposed to be the emotional crux of the movie but appears to have happened in between movies when nobody was looking (so we get a montage instead). We always seem just miss the stuff that's actually interesting and get stuck instead with scenes of people standing around ribbing each other or shadowboxing green screens.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Thor: Love and Thunder

A mediocre CG fest with the phony glam rock posturing of Ragnarok but somehow dumber and less fun (or funny). Bale looks intimidating but quickly falls in line with the rest of the Marvel villains whose actions don't make any sense compared to their motivations; he spends most of his limited screen time trying to scare a group of kids who don't look like they're even in the same room. I was reminded of Spy Kids more than anything. Especially once the kids... nvm.

Other than the obvious fatigue that comes with Thor 4: Thor Harder, I'd say the movie has similar problems to Dr. Strange 2: Stranger Still in that something much more interesting seems to be going on in the background of the thing we actually get. You know how Dr. Strange's "Multiverse of Madness" boiled down to like a minute of sightseeing through a bunch of special effects? That's basically what's behind the "God Butcher" moniker. And Thor's over-hyped partnership with the Guardians of the Galaxy. And Thor and Jane's relationship, which is supposed to be the emotional crux of the movie but appears to have happened in between movies when nobody was looking (so we get a montage instead). We always seem just miss the stuff that's actually interesting and get stuck instead with scenes of people standing around ribbing each other or shadowboxing green screens.
There was something about the trailers that felt like it was lacking cohesion. Like none of the scenes were connected to a central story. Training montage, guardians battle, Jane, shows up, Olympus, Bale fight. I've had the weirdest feeling like they had a bunch of funny jokes they wanted to do and slapped together a movie around it. Usually trailers do a better job of showing some sort of "main" storyline. I was excited when they first announced it would be the God Slayer storyline, but idk the trailers didn't excite me in the way Ragnarok did. Not too mention yeah it did seem like A LOT of CGI.

I'll still go see it, so don't ruin it for me, but yeah your post seems in line with what I was concerned about.

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
RRR (aka Rise Roar Revolt)

First time I've watched an Indian film. Fully watched it I mean, not seen clips on youtube. Man, this shit is wild. It's basically a what-if story about two revolutionaries who historically never met, but what if they did? It's kind of silly at times, and pretty over the top at all times, but I had a great time with. The thing I actually liked best is that this movie has zero chill. The heroes are the most unflappably heroic, capable of the most ludicrous feats. The villains the most mustache-twirlingly evil. The emotions are the biggest feels. The songs the most on the nose. The dance numbers the danciest. And the action scenes are just these extravagant spectacles, and honestly the price of admission by themselves. Maybe a bit too overlong at 3 hours, sometimes felt like they could've trimmed some fat to improve pacing, but not a dealbreaker.

Also, it has this
I trust you managed to see Singham right after this? 😉

Reactions: Chimpzy

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Thor Love and Thunder

Fine I'll fucking say it. Taika Waititi was a horrible choice for Thor. He took this Shakespearean level alien, this literal larger than life God man with 1500 years of experience, and reduced him to a bumbling buffoon who everyone, literally EVERYONE, is smarter and better than.
Like Jane being Mighty Thor? Just call her Adult Thor, because that's how the movie and characters treat her. This random woman picks up a hammer and everyone is all "Finally! God we're so sick of Thor! Finally an adult is in the room" and Thor just nods and is all "Yeah I suck."
Like they recap his character arc as if its a joke. "His brother died and then his mom died and then his dad died and then his brother died again and then all his friends died and then his home was destroyed and then half his people died" all set to children laughing. And its like fuck you Waititi, way to take over a decade of character development and pretty serious PTSD and turn it into a fat joke. I guess that's what homeless vets are missing, a New Zealander to narrate how pathetic they are to giggles.
Like I know there is a plot and its meh, but I can't express how much this movie HATES Thor. Everyone is going on about "Oh first MCU character with 4 stand alone movies" but no one is talking about this is now a parody show. It's like you have a Western cinematic universe, 10 years old, with some 30+ movies, lots of depth and characters and one of the main characters gets another movie and boom! Blazing Saddles or a Million Ways to Die in the West. Like just a straight up parody. Taking the characters you know and love and making them into self-aware jokes of themselves. Completely spitting in the fan's eyes and making all the other movies seem like pointless jokes.

So congrats Taika Waititi, you managed to snark your way into making mass genocide and survivor's guilt into a joke.

3/10, not even fat Zeus can save this one.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Thor Love and Thunder

Fine I'll fucking say it. Taika Waititi was a horrible choice for Thor. He took this Shakespearean level alien, this literal larger than life God man with 1500 years of experience, and reduced him to a bumbling buffoon who everyone, literally EVERYONE, is smarter and better than.
Like Jane being Mighty Thor? Just call her Adult Thor, because that's how the movie and characters treat her. This random woman picks up a hammer and everyone is all "Finally! God we're so sick of Thor! Finally an adult is in the room" and Thor just nods and is all "Yeah I suck."
Like they recap his character arc as if its a joke. "His brother died and then his mom died and then his dad died and then his brother died again and then all his friends died and then his home was destroyed and then half his people died" all set to children laughing. And its like fuck you Waititi, way to take over a decade of character development and pretty serious PTSD and turn it into a fat joke. I guess that's what homeless vets are missing, a New Zealander to narrate how pathetic they are to giggles.
Like I know there is a plot and its meh, but I can't express how much this movie HATES Thor. Everyone is going on about "Oh first MCU character with 4 stand alone movies" but no one is talking about this is now a parody show. It's like you have a Western cinematic universe, 10 years old, with some 30+ movies, lots of depth and characters and one of the main characters gets another movie and boom! Blazing Saddles or a Million Ways to Die in the West. Like just a straight up parody. Taking the characters you know and love and making them into self-aware jokes of themselves. Completely spitting in the fan's eyes and making all the other movies seem like pointless jokes.

So congrats Taika Waititi, you managed to snark your way into making mass genocide and survivor's guilt into a joke.

Yeah, Jeremy Jahns of Youtube thought it fun if you are drunk. So sad to write that I'll pass on this one.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Yeah, Jeremy Jahns of Youtube thought it fun if you are drunk. So sad to write that I'll pass on this one.
It sucks because Thor can be really good. He was at his best in Age of Ultron when he had humor, but also was a very competent warrior with experience. Then Ragnarock turned him into a joke slapstick character. But then Infinity War and Endgame showed he still had strength and depth and was very human in his tragedy. And this movie just calls do-overs for all of it.
Like Waititi very clearly wants to be the next Mel Brooks, and sure he's pretty good at comedies. But Mel Brooks was never hired to make Star Wars and just turned in Space Balls.
Waititi has his over vision of Thor and that's great, but its completely unconnected to the MCU. This might as well be an alternate universe Thor for how much his character arc is re-written to not have been a big deal.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
It sucks because Thor can be really good. He was at his best in Age of Ultron when he had humor, but also was a very competent warrior with experience. Then Ragnarock turned him into a joke slapstick character. But then Infinity War and Endgame showed he still had strength and depth and was very human in his tragedy. And this movie just calls do-overs for all of it.
Like Waititi very clearly wants to be the next Mel Brooks, and sure he's pretty good at comedies. But Mel Brooks was never hired to make Star Wars and just turned in Space Balls.
Waititi has his over vision of Thor and that's great, but its completely unconnected to the MCU. This might as well be an alternate universe Thor for how much his character arc is re-written to not have been a big deal.
I had a problem with this when the trailer includes a Thor voice over saying he needs to discover who he really is. After 1,500 years?
Doc Strange has a personal character flaw expounded upon but it doesn't mean he needs to start from scratch the way Thor appears to think he needs. But then I started hearing complaints akin to yours. Humor can be fun, but it can also kill a sense of gravitas. And I expect that is what happens in this movie.
EDIT:
This fellow compares the somewhat enjoyable Batman Forever to Ragnarok with Love and Thunder being Batman and Robin

Last edited:

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Thor Love and Thunder

It would be kind of amusing if they did a storyline reveal that the MCU Thor wasn't the real (Classic) Thor and the one from J. Michael Straczynski s run shows up.
17613193._SY540_.jpg
Theres a few comic series that did a similar storyline. In Earth-X its reveals that the asgardians were changling aliens who just appeared as whatever humanity wanted them to be.

I think it boils down to Thor just being hard to write for and once they took him down the cartoon character path there was no real going back. I imagine as a part of Taika Waititi's contract they had to let him do whatever he wants and I'm sure he couldn't give a shit about MCU or its development up to this point.

I suspect I'm gonna be softer than you folks on it as I don't care that much about any of this.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
This fellow compares the somewhat enjoyable Batman Forever to Ragnarok with Love and Thunder being Batman and Robin
I don't disagree.
It's a very childish movie, even by MCU standards. Narrated to a group of children via framing device, plot is about rescuing a group of children, the next gen of superheroes is clearly established with a couple of children... And you know, as soon as you make children such a focal part of your movie the stakes go all the way down for me. Take away a couple of saucy jokes and it's basically a Nickelodeon movie.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Has this ever not been the case in the MCU though? I can't say pre-Waititi Thor ever gave the impression of a larger than life god man with 1500 years of experience. Reverence for its characters has never really been in the MCU's wheelhouse.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Humor can be fun, but it can also kill a sense of gravitas. And I expect that is what happens in this movie.
EDIT:
That is a major problem with the MCU and a lot of Disney films in general. They're so afraid of scaring the kids and " da children", or offending "sensitive parents", by default, they're insulting their audiences' intelligence. There's nothing wrong with being serious for a moment or being more down to earth, without acting like you're Nathan Drake or Dante 24/7. And Dante does it better than all of the MCU heroes and villains combined. Say whatever you will about the DCEU, but they usually get this right. It's why I've been appreciate them more and more every time. They're not afraid to at least try something different, or give directors more control on their films.

EDIT:
This fellow compares the somewhat enjoyable Batman Forever to Ragnarok with
I have not seen the movie, but I highly doubt it. Sounds like nothing more than a clickbait. I don't know much about this person, but they're not worth watching right now. Especially if you're going to take a stance as silly as that.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
That is a major problem with the MCU and a lot of Disney films in general. They're so afraid of scaring the kids and " da children", or offending "sensitive parents", by default, they're insulting their audiences' intelligence. There's nothing wrong with being serious for a moment or being more down to earth, without acting like you're Nathan Drake or Dante 24/7. And Dante does it better than all of the MCU heroes and villains combined. Say whatever you will about the DCEU, but they usually get this right. It's why I've been appreciate them more and more every time. They're not afraid to at least try something different, or give directors more control on their films.

I have not seen the movie, but I highly doubt it. Sounds like nothing more than a clickbait. I don't know much about this person, but they're not worth watching right now. Especially if you're going to take a stance as silly as that.
Are you writing Ragnarok was much more enjoyable than Batman Forever, vice versa, or you found nothing to like in one or the other?
I got the analogy. Both films have their faults, but enjoyable bits as well. Batman and Robin then brought the cartoon element up to 11. He's stating same for Love and Thunder.

And way better examples of Sweet Child exist such as

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Are you writing Ragnarok was much more enjoyable than Batman Forever, vice versa, or you found nothing to like in one or the other?
I like and enjoyed Ragnarok and consider it the best of the Thor movies. I do like it and find it a better film than Batman Forever, but I don't hate Forever. The movie I haven't seen yet is the most recent 4th Thor film. Whatever comparisons that guy has, I can already tell it's full of baloney, and something I don't agree with. I wouldn't exactly consider Ragnarok the equivalent of Forever. I would take Forever and B&R over Dark World any day of the week. One of the most boring MCU and Thor movies ever made.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Just got back from Thour. Went in with lowered expectations and had a good time.

But yeah. Definitely a step down from Ragnarok and could have been much better. I don't mind this sillier Thor, but I thought far too much time was allocated to the silliness and not enough to Gorr and Lady Thor (yes, I will call her Lady Thor no matter how much this movie doesn't want me to). Speaking of, yeah Gorr was fun but underutilized. Lady Thor though... Yeah, I once again need to question Natalie Portman's acting abilities. Am I cursed to only ever watch her mediocre roles?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Just got back from Thour. Went in with lowered expectations and had a good time.

But yeah. Definitely a step down from Ragnarok and could have been much better. I don't mind this sillier Thor, but I thought far too much time was allocated to the silliness and not enough to Gorr and Lady Thor (yes, I will call her Lady Thor no matter how much this movie doesn't want me to). Speaking of, yeah Gorr was fun but underutilized. Lady Thor though... Yeah, I once again need to question Natalie Portman's acting abilities. Am I cursed to only ever watch her mediocre roles?
She was good in Leon, Closer, Black Swan and Vox Lux. I just don't think she's very good at comedic roles.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

I think one of the funniest things to come from the press tour was Waititi saying he's been hired to do some Star Wars, and telling Portman she'd be great in a Star Wars movie. And she just gives him this dead-eyed stair and was like "I WAS in Star Wars" and he's all "Wait...really?"
Just dead ass doesn't remember one of the 3 main characters from a full 3 Star Wars movies.

Has this ever not been the case in the MCU though? I can't say pre-Waititi Thor ever gave the impression of a larger than life god man with 1500 years of experience. Reverence for its characters has never really been in the MCU's wheelhouse.
See I felt like there was weight to Thor early on that's just not there now. They spoke of past events, Thor looked after the nine realms, he had traveled to Earth, traveled the Galaxy looking for Infinite Stones, the Asgardians were a well known people. This new movie just kinda undoes all of that. "Yeah Thor was always a goofy clown man and no one liked him and literally anyone is better at being Thor than Thor is. Also the Asgardians were always just goofy clown people and no one really liked them." Especially with how this ends, its all but a complete reboot of the character. None of that baggage of lost loved ones, no more Avengers and saving the Earth. None of that "cinematic universe". Just assume none of the previous movies really happened, because this movie sure as shit undoes all the lasting consequences of them.
It'd be like if in the next Iron Man movies they just go "Oh by the way Tony is alive and he broke up with Pepper and he's a ladies man again and Stark Industries makes weapons of war and he still has shrapnel in his heart. Now watch as Tony falls in love with Pepper and learns personal responsibility. Just a classic Iron Man story."
And you're just sitting there like the fuck was the point of the last decade worth of story telling? Like I get its based off comics and comics have no lore or canon to speak of and every edition is a functionally separate universe, but that was never a selling point of comics. That was always the unfortunate reality of a hundred writers all wanting to do their own thing. And that's what this movie is. Thor 4: Oh that's unfortunate.