Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Probably my favorite Connery Bond. Maybe From Russia with Love is for opposite reasons. Russia is a relatively grounded spy movie. Twice is really gonzo and I love it for that reason. Gold Finger had its gadgets but ultimately, I think the most significant thing Bond does is Schtup Pussy Galore and get her to call the government to stop Gold Finger. Twice has the Gyro, which is worth the price of admission for me.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Oh, come ON !!

And yes, "Oh come ON !!" will be my standard answer for each james bond movie that isn't considered brilliant, at least until we reach Dalton (who's brilliantly funny). But there are good and bad reasons for that. The bad reasons are that I'm attached to these films and... a friend once accused me to defend John Carpenter movies with the tenderness of a parent towards their disabled child, and okay, maybe it applies there aswell. A bit. But in particular, "You only live twice" may be my first rented Bond, so, part of my dearest childhopod memories. Also : spaaaaaaaaace.

But let's be rigorously objective. There are also good reasons to be offended by that review. The main one being : spaaaaaaaace. Okay, hm.

Firstly, I don't think it's closer to Dr No than the other movies. It has its basic Bond narrative, but if you're looking for "remakes", wait for The Spy Who. It's very literally You Only underwater. Apart from that, almost all these films are about 3rd party falseflagishly trying to provoke a war between us and our friendly perestroika communist partners. In the dumbest and most amusing way. Such a : space capsule capture. HOW AWESOME IS THAT HOW AWESOME IS THAT ? WHERE DOES IT HAPPEN, AGAIN ?

Which leads to two points. The music and the pre-title sequence (BOTH ARE SET IN SPAAAACE). You Only Live is probably the first Bond soundtrack I bought. Barry's menacing countdowns and (space) capsule swallowing themes elevate the cheese scenes' existential dread to epic proportions (snip the astronaut). They may be the most defining Bond music, and certainly the ones that influence parodies the most (the Evil Genius soundtrack feel more You Only Live Twice than bondish). Same with the secret volcano fake lake rocket base. How much more Bond can it get ? This is the most genre-codifying Bond film of all, the true one which thrills others try to repeat.

Plus that pre-title sequence includes Bond's most hilariously deserved death. As he's in bed rambling on with his cringeworthy sexist remarks, the tired girl near the door pushes the "creep alert" button, the bed lifts swapping Bond against the wall like a bug, and the anti-chauvinist emergency squad gets in to pepper him with bullets. Okay it may be a bit of a retroactive reading of the scene but it still makes me laugh, and I wish that button was featured in so many more movies (and real life rooms).

This film is filled with such gems. It's got an informant being killed mid-sentence (I so much love informants being killed mid-sentence), it's got a ridiculous toboggan trap leading to a comfy seat and a "welcome I was expecting you" (I don't tire of these), it has a scary poison wire ninja murder attempt (even in his sleep, Bond uses women as human shields), it's got the Little Nellie dogfight (with the little helmet in case secret agent man bumbs his head, and the exact right number of missiles in case the exact right number of also-helicopters attack), and also it's got spaaaace. Again : how iconic that Ken Adams base is, with its little trains and all. Again : it's the archetypal base of the archetypal Blofeld (the one Austin Powers would parody).

So yes it has a few, uh, weaknesses. The whole fake death thing is idiotic and serves only to justify the title, the whole chinese disguise thing is idiotic and serves only nothing at all, and... ah, another pet peeve, I hate it when film footage is used as footage in the film. There's that scene where Tanaka gets a chasing car removed by a helicopter with a giant magnet (yes it's the helicopterest bond movie), and Bond watches it live on a monitor screen that displays You Only Live Twice (the footage of the helicopter filmed by the movie's camera crew). So many movies do that, from Fantomas to the MCU. It's irksome.

BUT I love You Only Live Twice, and its music, and its setpieces, and its classic elements, and its space sequences, and its theme song (again, spoofed, referenced, re-used so much in pop culture). It is unfairly underrated. This film is to james bond and james bond spoofs what dracula is to vampires. It is THE genre codifier, and for a reason, it has all the most striking elements. It's the most representative of them all, the one to watch if you want to "know" the series and avoid any deviation from its average. And really this should give it some value.

Plus, it has the best posters.

These manly toes. Remember when movies had THAT tone ?

And what's with the underlined "is" ? Calm down, dude, Sean Connery is an actor, it's all play pretend I swear. Also "twice is the only way to live" ? What does the fuck what do what is what does that even mean what ? What ?

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yeah, I liked that one. It's got some memorable scenes. Like the bit where the spacehip eats the other spaceship (not shuttle), and cuts the line/aircord of the poor guy outside. Or the helicopter with the magnet, or the dock fight, or the ninjas attacking the volcano (which was filmed in Spain, while the interior was filmed in the UK, so they had different guns available for the exterior scenes). Dramatic incidental music as well.

I didn't mind Bond in disguise as a Japanese person so much. It's not Sean Connery putting on yellowface, which would be racist, it's Sean Connery as James Bond who is putting on yellowface as a disguise. Not the same thing. Didn't need any of that rubbish at all, though, was pointless filler and a way to get him with the replacement Bond girl.

And...ninjas. With rocket guns (which were kinda a thing back then, an experiment that didn't work out). Attacking a space centre inside an extinct volcano. Very silly and OtT, but that's the way Bond was going now.

Reactions: gorfias

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And what's with the underlined "is" ? Calm down, dude, Sean Connery is an actor, it's all play pretend I swear. Also "twice is the only way to live" ? What does the fuck what do what is what does that even mean what ? What ?
I go with the old new saying: "You only live once, and shadows die twice".

I saw the Super Mario Bros Movie (2023). It's excellent. There is really not much for me to say. Illumination outdone themselves and is arguably their best movie. The run time is air tight, and I am thankful for the 92 minute run time. Everyone actually put in the effort, voice actors, the animators and writers, the subtle shout-outs and in-jokes to the games, and the humor never gets obnoxious or pop-culture heavy. I will say while I never cared for the licensed songs used, they at least don't outstay their welcome and are only used with small snippets. The movie does heavily use the Mario soundtrack, it's remixed variations, and even some DK to greater and more efficient degree. I noticed a lot of the songs used are from the 80s or late 80s, so it makes some sense, but not really necessary. Still better than how Sonic 1 or Sonic 2 handled most of its music. The Sonic movies barely used the game music, used 90s hip-hop music, or was using "modern" pop songs way out of date.

Speaking of which, SMBM I do find better than Sonic 1 and Sonic 2. Better in terms of overall pacing and not wasting time on characters no one cares about. Sonic 2 is still great, don't get me wrong, but I really hope the team learns something from Mario Bros. In terms of TV or movie of games adaption pantheon, SMBM is an A. This movie is up their with Castlevania, Mortal Kombat (1995,) Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie, and Warcraft.

Last edited:

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Gummo (1997)

German culture has a unique fascination with people deemed "asozial". This term, which an english speaker might assume would roughly translate to "antisocial" is actually used in a very different context. It's used in much the same way someone in english might use the word "deviant" or, in harsher terms, perhaps even "degenerate". "Undesirable" also somewhat approximates its meaning. It has been, and is, used as a descriptor for people considered low class. While it predates that time period, in the Third Reich people considered "asozial" had been incarcerated and killed, alongside with other equally arbitrary, but at least more easily defined, minority groups. According to Wikipedia, considered "asozial" were "Felons, drunks, prostitutes and juvenile delinquents" as well as "the homeless", "welfare recipients" "vagabonds" and "lower class families with a high number of children", all of which had to be removed from a healthy society, according to eugenicists of the time.

That said, after the Third Reich had fallen and eugenicism had been thoroughly discredited, the term "asozial" managed to handily outlive it. In West Germany, in East Germany (Where it had mostly been redefined to describe people who refused to attend work) and all the way into united Germany, as we know it now. As a matter of fact, the 00's saw the rise of a cultural phenomenon widely called "Assi TV". Assi being sort of a diminuitive form of "asozial". It was, more or less, a german flavoured offshot of the general rise of reality television all over the western world. Those consisted of alleged insights into the lives of (very explicitly lower class) people that were presented in sort of a dramatized documentary style, yet thoroughly scripted, staged and performed by amateur actors, yet still sold to their audiences as authentic footage from real households.

Put in the bluntest of terms, those television series were putting on what I can, perhaps insensitively, only describe as "proletarian minstrel shows" where lower class germans were depicted as dim, inarticulate, frequently obese, unhygienic, uneducated, emotionally unhinged, sexually deviant and generally boorish and buffoonish for the amusement of a middle class audience. To provide some additional context, these formats came to dominate the noon to afternoon programming of private german television stations in the aftermath of a series of neoliberal welfare reforms forcing a new degree of harsh austerity on people in long term unemployment. Long story short, the german government and the german media worked together to create an environment that would firmly cement the stereotype of the "asozial" person in the minds of a new generation. For many people my age, those faux-reality television programs acted as the background score to their daily homework . Seared into my brain is a scene where a man was depicted eating spaghetti from the naked body of his corpulent wife. I think he had a mullet.

And those who've seen the movie will know how this brings us to Harmony Korine's 1997 cult classic Gummo. As specific to Germany as the term "asozial" or "Assi" is, it is somewhat related to the american archetype of "white trash" only... well, without the explicitly racial part and the sort of rural/provincial connotation.

Listen, I swear I'm going somewhere with this.

Harmony Korine's filmography has an almost singular fascination with american "White Trash" culture. Between Kids, Ken Park, Gummo, Spring Breakers and Trash Humpers, Korine makes movies about burnouts, deadbeats, wastoids and bottom feeders. And... well, I have mixed feelings about that. As there is a part of me that sees way too much of the classist, anti-proletarian and neo-fascist propaganda us german 90's and 00's kids were raised on in his movies. Frankly, I still find Spring Breakers unwatchable. There is definitely an exploitative, sensationalist and, yes, often nonchalantly hostile note to the way his movies frame the day to day live of the unemployed, uneducated and unfortunate as some type of surreal absurdism. I know that Korine comes from very much the same Millieu his films depict and that he was struggling with drug addiction for a long time, so I'm not doubting that there is a degree of authenticity to his depictions of squalor and decay, but , like, also, I feel like he has a tendency to be kind of a shithead about it. He may have grown up among these peoples, but I feel like he looks down on them more often than not.

That said, Gummo is probably his formative work, and interestingly enough, unlike many of his later works, I feel like there is actually a degree of sympathy, maybe even compassion, for its characters. Gummo depicts a series of absurd vignettes from the town of Xenia, Ohio. Xenia, we are told in the beginning, was hit by a tornado a few years before the beginning of the movie. An incident from which the community never quite recovered, leaving it in a state of squalor, neglect and general despair.

There is a lot to unpack when it comes to Gummo. Lacking anything that could be considered a plot, we follow various characters undergoing various experiences in this environment. A pair of teenagers go around the town hunting stray cats cats whose population has been exploding in recent years. Getting some money for them from the local grocer who sells them to... a chinese restaurant. You get why I called Korine a shithead now, don't you? At one point they use the money they get from it to hire a local prostitute, who is shown to have some mental disability. There are three girls, one of them notably played by a then unknown Chloe Sevigny who have their own experiences going on. They put tape on their breasts because tearing is off is supposed to make their nipples look fuller. They almost get molested by a sleazy reporter later on. There are some odd interviews with various side characters, some of the relaying stories of sexual abuse by their parents, some of them just telling banal anecdotes from their lives. There is a mute kid with a rabbit ear hat and he pisses down a bridge onto a highway at one point and...

You know what, let's do this differently. There is not much of a point in talking about what happens in Gummo. A lot of things do, and describing them all won't give you a better idea of the movie. Gummo is a mood piece about the decay of small town America. What being forgotten and neglected and treated as "trash" does to a community and the people in it. It's not that these people take any pleasure in living in filth, it's just that there's no place left to get clean. Many of the individual vignettes and anecdotes that Gummo shows seem like they are based on, oftentimes probably barely exaggerated, experiences from Korine's own life. Xenia, Ohio is a place where all hope has been abandoned and all that's left for people to enjoy are drugs, alcohol, sex and petty animal cruelty. The explicit nature of how all of those are depicted has some undeniably voyeuristic undertones. Korine is obviously well aware that the world he's laying bare comes off as bizarre and will invite repulsion more than compassion. It's some of the more outwardly surreal and cartoonish touches that in my opinion detract from the movies legitimacy as a insightful look into the american wasteland.

That said, Gummo does have more defensible and even likeable qualities than everything I told you about it so far might suggest. What comes occasionally through is sort of a tenderness that makes clear that Korine might have more than just disdain for the people he's showing. Between all the ennui and the petty violence and vandalism that seem commonplace in Xenia, Ohio there are moments when we get small moments of compassion, existential musings and emotional nuances that show, quite clearly, that despite their circumstances some of these people have a rich inner life, and they are suffering. As many of Xenia's residents have completely numbed themselves with booze, with drugs or simply with nihilistic ambivalence, some of them actually engage with the bleakness of their situation.

Gummo is hardly a call for righteous class struggle, but neither is it shameless poorsploitation. Gummo's view on American poverty certainly puts the absurdity of abject poverty front and center, but in the end it makes clear that the viewer is supposed to engage, even empathize with it, rather than just sneer and laugh at it. Honestly, it's about as earnest and sympathethic Korine has ever gotten and likely will ever get. Which is to say, there's still plenty of his jackassery to be found in it. Don't watch this if you're uncomfortable with depictions of animal cruelty, sexual abuse, child abuse, elder abuse, all manners of dirt and filth you can possibly imagine... basically, don't watch this unless you have a pretty thick skin, is what I'm saying. It's very much one of those performatively nihilistic, grungy nineties 90's sleazoid movies. It has a very eclectic soundtrack too, which ranges fom some pretty hardcore punk and metal to 50's ballads from the likes of Roy Orbison and Buddy Holly that are utilized in a way that's almost begging to be recognized as "lynchian".

The thing is though, unlike with a lot of Korine's later movies I think there is at least something there. It's a pretty hard to recommend the movie, although it does have its qualities. It's well shot and gets some beautifully authentic performances out of what were to a large part nonprofessional actors. Between all the shock value it never feels like a movie that has no agenda beyond grossing out its audience or making them point and laugh. It doesn't feel like it's meant to inspire contempt for its characters, though it does certainly go out of its way to provoke alienation. But behind everything, I feel there is a fleeting sadness about living in a society that's looking down on people for living under the circumstances it bestowed upon them. I don't like Harmony Korine very much. I don't think I ever will like him. But if there is a movie that shows a side to him other than that of an edgy, pretentious hipster kid it's probably Gummo. Kinda makes me wonder whether he could do a half decent job directing when (not if) the world feels like there needs to be a movie about Chris Chan. Gummo shows that's he's at least not entirely disinterested in the humanity of those that society deems "asozial" and it's more than I've come to expect.

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Oh, come ON !!

And yes, "Oh come ON !!" will be my standard answer for each james bond movie that isn't considered brilliant, at least until we reach Dalton (who's brilliantly funny). But there are good and bad reasons for that. The bad reasons are that I'm attached to these films and... a friend once accused me to defend John Carpenter movies with the tenderness of a parent towards their disabled child, and okay, maybe it applies there aswell. A bit. But in particular, "You only live twice" may be my first rented Bond, so, part of my dearest childhopod memories. Also : spaaaaaaaaace.

But let's be rigorously objective. There are also good reasons to be offended by that review. The main one being : spaaaaaaaace. Okay, hm.

Firstly, I don't think it's closer to Dr No than the other movies. It has its basic Bond narrative, but if you're looking for "remakes", wait for The Spy Who. It's very literally You Only underwater. Apart from that, almost all these films are about 3rd party falseflagishly trying to provoke a war between us and our friendly perestroika communist partners. In the dumbest and most amusing way. Such a : space capsule capture. HOW AWESOME IS THAT HOW AWESOME IS THAT ? WHERE DOES IT HAPPEN, AGAIN ?

Which leads to two points. The music and the pre-title sequence (BOTH ARE SET IN SPAAAACE). You Only Live is probably the first Bond soundtrack I bought. Barry's menacing countdowns and (space) capsule swallowing themes elevate the cheese scenes' existential dread to epic proportions (snip the astronaut). They may be the most defining Bond music, and certainly the ones that influence parodies the most (the Evil Genius soundtrack feel more You Only Live Twice than bondish). Same with the secret volcano fake lake rocket base. How much more Bond can it get ? This is the most genre-codifying Bond film of all, the true one which thrills others try to repeat.

Plus that pre-title sequence includes Bond's most hilariously deserved death. As he's in bed rambling on with his cringeworthy sexist remarks, the tired girl near the door pushes the "creep alert" button, the bed lifts swapping Bond against the wall like a bug, and the anti-chauvinist emergency squad gets in to pepper him with bullets. Okay it may be a bit of a retroactive reading of the scene but it still makes me laugh, and I wish that button was featured in so many more movies (and real life rooms).

This film is filled with such gems. It's got an informant being killed mid-sentence (I so much love informants being killed mid-sentence), it's got a ridiculous toboggan trap leading to a comfy seat and a "welcome I was expecting you" (I don't tire of these), it has a scary poison wire ninja murder attempt (even in his sleep, Bond uses women as human shields), it's got the Little Nellie dogfight (with the little helmet in case secret agent man bumbs his head, and the exact right number of missiles in case the exact right number of also-helicopters attack), and also it's got spaaaace. Again : how iconic that Ken Adams base is, with its little trains and all. Again : it's the archetypal base of the archetypal Blofeld (the one Austin Powers would parody).

So yes it has a few, uh, weaknesses. The whole fake death thing is idiotic and serves only to justify the title, the whole chinese disguise thing is idiotic and serves only nothing at all, and... ah, another pet peeve, I hate it when film footage is used as footage in the film. There's that scene where Tanaka gets a chasing car removed by a helicopter with a giant magnet (yes it's the helicopterest bond movie), and Bond watches it live on a monitor screen that displays You Only Live Twice (the footage of the helicopter filmed by the movie's camera crew). So many movies do that, from Fantomas to the MCU. It's irksome.

BUT I love You Only Live Twice, and its music, and its setpieces, and its classic elements, and its space sequences, and its theme song (again, spoofed, referenced, re-used so much in pop culture). It is unfairly underrated. This film is to james bond and james bond spoofs what dracula is to vampires. It is THE genre codifier, and for a reason, it has all the most striking elements. It's the most representative of them all, the one to watch if you want to "know" the series and avoid any deviation from its average. And really this should give it some value.

All fair points, and I do want to stress that I gave it 3 stars, so I found it above average. I just found the plot outside of the action scenes to be mostly a bit too plodding. And trust me, I will be noting The Spy Who Loved Me's similarities to this film.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
I just found the plot outside of the action scenes to be mostly a bit too plodding.
Oh it is. There's a lot of odd filler scenes (the wedding, etc). Good thing with these is that they fade quickly from memory, given that, well, there's nothing to remember. Heck, I had even forgotten that there were "bond girls" in that film. I often think of Lois Chiles' and Tanya Roberts' roles as the blandest ones, but they are merely the blandest ones one remembers.

Fun fact : I didn't see the films in chronological order. So when Amasova, in The Spy Who, mentions that Bond has been married once for a very short time, and he changes the subject with irritation, I thought it was a reference to that film. 😶

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Gummo (1997)

German culture has a unique fascination with people deemed "asozial". This term, which an english speaker might assume would roughly translate to "antisocial" is actually used in a very different context. It's used in much the same way someone in english might use the word "deviant" or, in harsher terms, perhaps even "degenerate". "Undesirable" also somewhat approximates its meaning. It has been, and is, used as a descriptor for people considered low class. While it predates that time period, in the Third Reich people considered "asozial" had been incarcerated and killed, alongside with other equally arbitrary, but at least more easily defined, minority groups. According to Wikipedia, considered "asozial" were "Felons, drunks, prostitutes and juvenile delinquents" as well as "the homeless", "welfare recipients" "vagabonds" and "lower class families with a high number of children", all of which had to be removed from a healthy society, according to eugenicists of the time.

That said, after the Third Reich had fallen and eugenicism had been thoroughly discredited, the term "asozial" managed to handily outlive it. In West Germany, in East Germany (Where it had mostly been redefined to describe people who refused to attend work) and all the way into united Germany, as we know it now. As a matter of fact, the 00's saw the rise of a cultural phenomenon widely called "Assi TV". Assi being sort of a diminuitive form of "asozial". It was, more or less, a german flavoured offshot of the general rise of reality television all over the western world. Those consisted of alleged insights into the lives of (very explicitly lower class) people that were presented in sort of a dramatized documentary style, yet thoroughly scripted, staged and performed by amateur actors, yet still sold to their audiences as authentic footage from real households.

Put in the bluntest of terms, those television series were putting on what I can, perhaps insensitively, only describe as "proletarian minstrel shows" where lower class germans were depicted as dim, inarticulate, frequently obese, unhygienic, uneducated, emotionally unhinged, sexually deviant and generally boorish and buffoonish for the amusement of a middle class audience. To provide some additional context, these formats came to dominate the noon to afternoon programming of private german television stations in the aftermath of a series of neoliberal welfare reforms forcing a new degree of harsh austerity on people in long term unemployment. Long story short, the german government and the german media worked together to create an environment that would firmly cement the stereotype of the "asozial" person in the minds of a new generation. For many people my age, those faux-reality television programs acted as the background score to their daily homework . Seared into my brain is a scene where a man was depicted eating spaghetti from the naked body of his corpulent wife. I think he had a mullet.

And those who've seen the movie will know how this brings us to Harmony Korine's 1997 cult classic Gummo. As specific to Germany as the term "asozial" or "Assi" is, it is somewhat related to the american archetype of "white trash" only... well, without the explicitly racial part and the sort of rural/provincial connotation.

Listen, I swear I'm going somewhere with this.

Harmony Korine's filmography has an almost singular fascination with american "White Trash" culture. Between Kids, Ken Park, Gummo, Spring Breakers and Trash Humpers, Korine makes movies about burnouts, deadbeats, wastoids and bottom feeders. And... well, I have mixed feelings about that. As there is a part of me that sees way too much of the classist, anti-proletarian and neo-fascist propaganda us german 90's and 00's kids were raised on in his movies. Frankly, I still find Spring Breakers unwatchable. There is definitely an exploitative, sensationalist and, yes, often nonchalantly hostile note to the way his movies frame the day to day live of the unemployed, uneducated and unfortunate as some type of surreal absurdism. I know that Korine comes from very much the same Millieu his films depict and that he was struggling with drug addiction for a long time, so I'm not doubting that there is a degree of authenticity to his depictions of squalor and decay, but , like, also, I feel like he has a tendency to be kind of a shithead about it. He may have grown up among these peoples, but I feel like he looks down on them more often than not.

That said, Gummo is probably his formative work, and interestingly enough, unlike many of his later works, I feel like there is actually a degree of sympathy, maybe even compassion, for its characters. Gummo depicts a series of absurd vignettes from the town of Xenia, Ohio. Xenia, we are told in the beginning, was hit by a tornado a few years before the beginning of the movie. An incident from which the community never quite recovered, leaving it in a state of squalor, neglect and general despair.

There is a lot to unpack when it comes to Gummo. Lacking anything that could be considered a plot, we follow various characters undergoing various experiences in this environment. A pair of teenagers go around the town hunting stray cats cats whose population has been exploding in recent years. Getting some money for them from the local grocer who sells them to... a chinese restaurant. You get why I called Korine a shithead now, don't you? At one point they use the money they get from it to hire a local prostitute, who is shown to have some mental disability. There are three girls, one of them notably played by a then unknown Chloe Sevigny who have their own experiences going on. They put tape on their breasts because tearing is off is supposed to make their nipples look fuller. They almost get molested by a sleazy reporter later on. There are some odd interviews with various side characters, some of the relaying stories of sexual abuse by their parents, some of them just telling banal anecdotes from their lives. There is a mute kid with a rabbit ear hat and he pisses down a bridge onto a highway at one point and...

You know what, let's do this differently. There is not much of a point in talking about what happens in Gummo. A lot of things do, and describing them all won't give you a better idea of the movie. Gummo is a mood piece about the decay of small town America. What being forgotten and neglected and treated as "trash" does to a community and the people in it. It's not that these people take any pleasure in living in filth, it's just that there's no place left to get clean. Many of the individual vignettes and anecdotes that Gummo shows seem like they are based on, oftentimes probably barely exaggerated, experiences from Korine's own life. Xenia, Ohio is a place where all hope has been abandoned and all that's left for people to enjoy are drugs, alcohol, sex and petty animal cruelty. The explicit nature of how all of those are depicted has some undeniably voyeuristic undertones. Korine is obviously well aware that the world he's laying bare comes off as bizarre and will invite repulsion more than compassion. It's some of the more outwardly surreal and cartoonish touches that in my opinion detract from the movies legitimacy as a insightful look into the american wasteland.

That said, Gummo does have more defensible and even likeable qualities than everything I told you about it so far might suggest. What comes occasionally through is sort of a tenderness that makes clear that Korine might have more than just disdain for the people he's showing. Between all the ennui and the petty violence and vandalism that seem commonplace in Xenia, Ohio there are moments when we get small moments of compassion, existential musings and emotional nuances that show, quite clearly, that despite their circumstances some of these people have a rich inner life, and they are suffering. As many of Xenia's residents have completely numbed themselves with booze, with drugs or simply with nihilistic ambivalence, some of them actually engage with the bleakness of their situation.

Gummo is hardly a call for righteous class struggle, but neither is it shameless poorsploitation. Gummo's view on American poverty certainly puts the absurdity of abject poverty front and center, but in the end it makes clear that the viewer is supposed to engage, even empathize with it, rather than just sneer and laugh at it. Honestly, it's about as earnest and sympathethic Korine has ever gotten and likely will ever get. Which is to say, there's still plenty of his jackassery to be found in it. Don't watch this if you're uncomfortable with depictions of animal cruelty, sexual abuse, child abuse, elder abuse, all manners of dirt and filth you can possibly imagine... basically, don't watch this unless you have a pretty thick skin, is what I'm saying. It's very much one of those performatively nihilistic, grungy nineties 90's sleazoid movies. It has a very eclectic soundtrack too, which ranges fom some pretty hardcore punk and metal to 50's ballads from the likes of Roy Orbison and Buddy Holly that are utilized in a way that's almost begging to be recognized as "lynchian".

The thing is though, unlike with a lot of Korine's later movies I think there is at least something there. It's a pretty hard to recommend the movie, although it does have its qualities. It's well shot and gets some beautifully authentic performances out of what were to a large part nonprofessional actors. Between all the shock value it never feels like a movie that has no agenda beyond grossing out its audience or making them point and laugh. It doesn't feel like it's meant to inspire contempt for its characters, though it does certainly go out of its way to provoke alienation. But behind everything, I feel there is a fleeting sadness about living in a society that's looking down on people for living under the circumstances it bestowed upon them. I don't like Harmony Korine very much. I don't think I ever will like him. But if there is a movie that shows a side to him other than that of an edgy, pretentious hipster kid it's probably Gummo. Kinda makes me wonder whether he could do a half decent job directing when (not if) the world feels like there needs to be a movie about Chris Chan. Gummo shows that's he's at least not entirely disinterested in the humanity of those that society deems "asozial" and it's more than I've come to expect.

Kids was a strange experience for me. I saw it when I was 16 or so and it came out when I was 13. Everything single thing that happened in Kids I saw or experienced. It was funny seeing critics deride the movie as impossible, as an inner city latchkey kid that stuff was all normal for me. I started drinking at 8 and was partying pretty hard by 13. When I was 15 my shroom and acid dealer was a 14 yo girl who got her shit from a local neo-nazi group. At the same time I didn't enjoy the movie it didn't feel like it ever held any purpose but shock value. There was no message. It felt very exploitive. Like yeah inner city kids are messed up.

With that context I never saw gummo. I was there and all. Ohio valley, land of the shit holes. Lowest class, I knew those kids - Dustin & jamie. They kept a feral dog chained up in their backyard as a pet and tricked me into trying to get close to it and it almost tore my leg off. I slept on a coffee table once because my friend jasons house had so many cockroaches they would crawl on you if you slept on the couch. I get it, but at the same time, for me, again I just dont see any value in it. If theres no intention of showing any hope or future for these kids I just find that depressing. I suspect a lot of my friends never made it out. I knew a couple who definitely didn't.

If its gonna bum me out I need it to at least serve a purpose.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Kids was a strange experience for me. I saw it when I was 16 or so and it came out when I was 13. Everything single thing that happened in Kids I saw or experienced. It was funny seeing critics deride the movie as impossible, as an inner city latchkey kid that stuff was all normal for me. I started drinking at 8 and was partying pretty hard by 13. When I was 15 my shroom and acid dealer was a 14 yo girl who got her shit from a local neo-nazi group. At the same time I didn't enjoy the movie it didn't feel like it ever held any purpose but shock value. There was no message. It felt very exploitive. Like yeah inner city kids are messed up.

With that context I never saw gummo. I was there and all. Ohio valley, land of the shit holes. Lowest class, I knew those kids - Dustin & jamie. They kept a feral dog chained up in their backyard as a pet and tricked me into trying to get close to it and it almost tore my leg off. I slept on a coffee table once because my friend jasons house had so many cockroaches they would crawl on you if you slept on the couch. I get it, but at the same time, for me, again I just dont see any value in it. If theres no intention of showing any hope or future for these kids I just find that depressing. I suspect a lot of my friends never made it out. I knew a couple who definitely didn't.

If its gonna bum me out I need it to at least serve a purpose.
I imagine the purpose, assuming there is one, is to prove to people who are insulated from your experiences that these things can, do and are happening. A very unsubtle and not gentle slap across the face of the middle class or something.

Or, as you say, shock value for indie movie maker cred.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre (2023)

For some reason, people still give Guy Ritchie substantial sums of money to make movies. Actually, that's probably unfair. Films like "The Gentlemen" and "Wrath of Man" aren't bad and probably made a profit, but I can't help but perceive that Ritchie can misfire quite badly. He has got a certain style which can be effective (usually with mockney gangsters), but otherwise doesn't always do his movies favours, especially when into blockbuster territory. I certainly doubt people are giving him big money to make desperately underwhelming guff like The Man From U.N.C.L.E. or King Arthur: Legend of the Sword anymore. Give him about $20 million, there's a decent chance the producers might recoup their costs.

Anyway, the film. It stars the ever-watchable Jason Statham, backed up by the talented and ever-watchable Aubrey Plaza, plus some other people including the superb, ever-watchable late-era Hugh Grant. Now aged and seemingly freed from that whole romantic leading man baggage, Hugh Grant has been set free to be extraordinarily good fun. I swear, I haven't seen him do anything remotely bad in the last 5-10 years, including being an entertaining grump in real life at the Oscars. The plot is that some Ukrainians steal something but no-one knows what, and British Intelligence operative Cary Elwes hires Statham's spy, Orson Fortune, to find out what and recover it, with Fortune bringing along two operatives, played by Plaza and Bugzy Malone. Their plan is to infiltrate the affairs of the arms dealer (Hugh Grant) selling this mystery doodad, via a Hollywood star played by Josh Hartnett.

Once you've got this cast and a decent script for them to work with, it's hard to go wrong, and Ritchie does indeed not spill. What you're watching this for is to see its actors do their thing. Statham is like Statham ever is, Plaza has enormous fun does what she does, Malone is just kind of around, Elwes is dryly humorous, and Grant goes entertainingly arch and grotesque. Whilst they're free to get on with it, the film is genuinely very good fun. However, it fails to quite hit the peak because where it veers off this, it pales a little - for instance the action scenes are slightly underwhelming.

Go give it a look, it deserves it. I'd also be happy to see a sequel, although it really needs to keep the cast.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre (2023)

For some reason, people still give Guy Ritchie substantial sums of money to make movies. Actually, that's probably unfair. Films like "The Gentlemen" and "Wrath of Man" aren't bad and probably made a profit, but I can't help but perceive that Ritchie can misfire quite badly. He has got a certain style which can be effective (usually with mockney gangsters), but otherwise doesn't always do his movies favours, especially when into blockbuster territory. I certainly doubt people are giving him big money to make desperately underwhelming guff like The Man From U.N.C.L.E. or King Arthur: Legend of the Sword anymore. Give him about $20 million, there's a decent chance the producers might recoup their costs.

Anyway, the film. It stars the ever-watchable Jason Statham, backed up by the talented and ever-watchable Aubrey Plaza, plus some other people including the superb, ever-watchable late-era Hugh Grant. Now aged and seemingly freed from that whole romantic leading man baggage, Hugh Grant has been set free to be extraordinarily good fun. I swear, I haven't seen him do anything remotely bad in the last 5-10 years, including being an entertaining grump in real life at the Oscars. The plot is that some Ukrainians steal something but no-one knows what, and British Intelligence operative Cary Elwes hires Statham's spy, Orson Fortune, to find out what and recover it, with Fortune bringing along two operatives, played by Plaza and Bugzy Malone. Their plan is to infiltrate the affairs of the arms dealer (Hugh Grant) selling this mystery doodad, via a Hollywood star played by Josh Hartnett.

Once you've got this cast and a decent script for them to work with, it's hard to go wrong, and Ritchie does indeed not spill. What you're watching this for is to see its actors do their thing. Statham is like Statham ever is, Plaza has enormous fun does what she does, Malone is just kind of around, Elwes is dryly humorous, and Grant goes entertainingly arch and grotesque. Whilst they're free to get on with it, the film is genuinely very good fun. However, it fails to quite hit the peak because where it veers off this, it pales a little - for instance the action scenes are slightly underwhelming.

Go give it a look, it deserves it. I'd also be happy to see a sequel, although it really needs to keep the cast.
I'll be honest, I liked The Man from UNCLE, although I'll admit it very much coasted on the chemistry of Henry Cavil and Armie Hammer, along with Alicia Vikander around to make sure the two gents didn't smoulder at each other for too long XD. And hell, whenever King Arthur was being Cockney gangsters in medieval times, it was fun, every other time was white hot garbage.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Oh, come ON !!

Ah, my best buddy defends Carpenter in that manner. Very good response.
And I love this movie as well. My dad let me stay up till 11 PM one night to watch it waaaay back when we had only 3 TV VHF channels. So, this is on my home office wall:
1681162908539.png

Reactions: Absent

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Air: Good / Great

The story of the Nike, a previously uncompetitive sports apparel company, as they land [probably] the most iconic basketball shoe deal in history in the Air Jordan.

Let me get my bias out of the way: Matt Damon walks on water as far as I'm concerned, so him leading the charge here was a boost. The story itself is pretty mundane, but his passion bleeds off the screen to the point I had to remind myself that this "underdog" tale was riding the saddle of one of the most prolific athletes of all time, and could easily have been about Adidas or Converse to the same effect. This movie was a Matt Damon vehicle though Ben Affleck tries his hardest to "remember me" for his few moments on screen.

What's really interesting is that while the actor portraying Michael Jordan is never shown his face (for whatever reason,) Michael Jordan himself insisted that Viola Davis portray his mother, and she kills it. Jordan might have been the talent, but his momma was the reason, and very keen on getting nothing less than what her son deserved. Recommended.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I went with my niece to the Super Mario Bros. Movie. It was fine. It was more or less exactly what it needed to be. Short enough to hold kids' attention, kid focused humor, a new "minions" in the toadstools and koopas, and just enough music cues and easter eggs to satisfy the adult Nintendo fans. Bowser's attraction to Peach is a little cringe inducing, but it needed that to be funny and obvious enough for kids. It is a huge success, and its obviously already greenlit sequel will be too. For me, it started a little slow. But again, it needed that. It came out about 15 or 20 years too late for its target audience to be that familiar with the characters, so they had to spend a little more time with introductions.

But I also understand the negative reviews. An adult with no nostalgia for Nintendo... will get absolutely nothing from this movie.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Bowser's attraction to Peach is a little cringe inducing, but it needed that to be funny and obvious enough for kids.
There is no "cringe", that moment is awesome and hilarious. Plus, that's actually taking something from the games. Bowser did have a crush on Peach in some of the main line games, and some of the spin-off games. The only difference is that it was played for 100% complete laughs in the games. Everyone in the theater was laughing their ass off at that scene.

An adult with no nostalgia for Nintendo... will get absolutely nothing from this movie.
My mom don't have much nostalgia (any of it is transplanted, because she's the one that bought us our Game Boys as kids) for Nintendo, but she likes Mario. The negative reviews don't mean crap. You literally have people who don't play video games, or look down upon them. I don't expect these critics to know everything, but do some basic Google research.

Last edited:

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
I'll be honest, I liked The Man from UNCLE, although I'll admit it very much coasted on the chemistry of Henry Cavil and Armie Hammer, along with Alicia Vikander around to make sure the two gents didn't smoulder at each other for too long XD.
"Chemistry" is an interesting term, as I don't recall either of them showing much personality in the film. Although, perhaps, that might create chemistry of a sort.