Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Seems pretty reasonable when you consider that the first one was this slow, moody, cyberpunky slasher movie compared to the second one that's mostly just a really bombastic cheesy action movie with some very fun characters, like they don't seem very compatible so if you really liked the first one it makes perfect sense you wouldn't like the second one, I mean most people just like T2 I don't think most people have seen the first one.
I conjecture personally that James Cameron decided on the direction he did for T2 because like with Aliens - another actionised sequel to a moody, thriller original - he was smart enough to know that remaking the original again with different characters would be both lazy and a waste of time. Besides that nuclear war nightmare Sarah has in the desert still chills me to my fucking bones so the movie is not without horror elements. As a result Terminator 2 and Aliens feel complimentary to The Terminator and Alien rather than opposing materials.

Reactions: Hawki and Kae

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I conjecture personally that James Cameron decided on the direction he did for T2 because like with Aliens - another actionised sequel to a moody, thriller original - he was smart enough to know that remaking the original again with different characters would be both lazy and a waste of time. Besides that nuclear war nightmare Sarah has in the desert still chills me to my fucking bones so the movie is not without horror elements. As a result Terminator 2 and Aliens feel complimentary to The Terminator and Alien rather than opposing materials.
Not disagreeing here at all I definitely approve of not regurgitating the same thing again void of any creativity, it was the right call and also a massive success, simply stating that just because that is the case doesn't mean that all fans of the original will or should enjoy it, everyone likes what they like and there are people that simply don't dig action movies, just like there are people that just don't vibe with horror.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Not disagreeing here at all I definitely approve of not regurgitating the same thing again void of any creativity, it was the right call and also a massive success, simply stating that just because that is the case doesn't mean that all fans of the original will or should enjoy it, everyone likes what they like and there are people that simply don't dig action movies, just like there are people that just don't vibe with horror.
While this is true since taste is subjective and people will jive one way or another on horror and action, the first two Alien and Terminator movies feel incomplete watching one without having seen the other. I feel all four are movies genre aficionados should watch at least once.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Just seen Terminator 2, which is being discussed already.

Always thought it a bit cringeable when John is trying to teach Arnie to be human.

Also, did Dyson's family die?

Also also, the police are notable in the spraying bullets at everyone sense, and also in that the only person they hit (and kill) is the unarmed black guy.

Also also also, Sarah is all "hide under the body armour, I'll put one on the window"...you can wear those, it's what they're for.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
While this is true since taste is subjective and people will jive one way or another on horror and action, the first two Alien and Terminator movies feel incomplete watching one without having seen the other. I feel all four are movies genre aficionados should watch at least once.
Yeah, pretty much, though I will admit that I personally don't care about Aliens at all, I don't dislike I just don't care for it but I do love Alien.
Just seen Terminator 2, which is being discussed already.

Always thought it a bit cringeable when John is trying to teach Arnie to be human.
I'm pretty sure they were going for cringe, anyway teenagers are super cringey anyway.

I don't remember.

Also also, the police are notable in the spraying bullets at everyone sense, and also in that the only person they hit (and kill) is the unarmed black guy.
They were going for realism, probably, it's definitely what LAPD would do.

Also also also, Sarah is all "hide under the body armour, I'll put one on the window"...you can wear those, it's what they're for.
Yeah, that's dumb, things like these are why I call it a cheesy action movie.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Ah, no, I meant "some later" not "all later".

Having said that, I probably mean everything that's not T2. Though T4, IIRC, wasn't good, but not actually bad either, and not seen the ones after that.
I've personally enjoyed every Terminator film except T3. That said, T1 and T2 are kind of one tier of quality, and everything else is more or less on a lower tier. Ranking them, I go T2>T1>T5>T6>T4>T3.

That being said my point still stands, the style, and genre of the two films are so different that it's very possible to favour one over the other or that one matches a style and genre you really like and the other one matches as style and genre you actively dislike, personally I much prefer T1 to T2 because Cyberpunk & Horror are my favourite genres, so that slight Cyberpunk or "Technoir" as the club is called feel combined with a slasher makes it a much more engaging movie for me, that being said I do like T2 and I think it's a very fun and exiting movie, just not the same kind of movie at all.
Yeah, they're definitely different types of movies. It's easy to understand why someone would prefer T1. That said, T2 appears to have entered the public conciousness more. Like, for instance, awhile ago I saw an ad that spoofed various movies, and one of them was Terminator

No.

Like, even cutting aside spinoff material that shows them, the impression I got was that they left their home before the T-1000 showed up. Also, even if they were there, it would have no reason to kill them.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I watched Looper...........How did Rian Johnson get to direct Star Wars from having directed this?
Like it holds together just about but it fails the landing in so many ways really.
Like I sat there going "Oh it's another Rian Johnson subverting expectations thing only it was the expectations the film actually laid down itself this time."

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Both Terminator films I love about the same. I admit to having a slight preference with T2, but that is because Robert Patrick gave me nightmares. I do watch Aliens more than Alien. But again, both are awesome films, while the rest are unwatchable shit. The same applies for the rest of the Terminator films, aside from Salvation (Which I found decent, and at least tried something different). All of the other Terminator films are nothing more than glorified fan-fics made offical that do nothing, but constantly ape T1 & T2. Only dumber and way less interesting.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I never found Alien and Terminator incomplete without their first sequels, since they're so different from their sequels and have endings.

300. I Heard You Paint Houses / The Irishman

These actors were too old to play these characters. The 200 minutes went by surprisingly fast, but I can't say I was terribly entertained. Still a good movie that, while touching similar ground as previous Scorsese films, actually felt surprisingly unique.

7/10

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I never found Alien and Terminator incomplete without their first sequels, since they're so different from their sequels and have endings.

300. I Heard You Paint Houses / The Irishman

These actors were too old to play these characters. The 200 minutes went by surprisingly fast, but I can't say I was terribly entertained. Still a good movie that, while touching similar ground as previous Scorsese films, actually felt surprisingly unique.

7/10
Even with the deaging, De Niro moved like an old man. I thought the movie long, tedious and its best messages have been made better before (Al Pacino dying alone in Godfather 3 for example). What is fun is that you can find on youtube people posting better deaging effects than the big boys have. I wonder why that is.

I wanna see them make this version of Star Wars!

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Yeah, he MOVED like an old man too.

Last edited:

Ringo

Jul 12, 2007
Country
Canada
The age stuff in The Irishman doesn't bother me a ton. I think there are enough presentational and psychological touches (especially in how the film is edited), that allow it to feel like a stylistic choice instead of solely a realistic one, but there are definitely points where it's awkward. I do wish they just went for it completely and had the actors play younger versions of themselves without all the CG and trying to make them seem young. Mainstream audiences wouldn't have gone for it, but it would have been a cool, theatrical choice that could have been supported by more pronounced decisions in style elsewhere.

Spike Lee did this earlier this year with Da 5 Bloods, and Nobuhiko Obayashi had a bunch of adults playing teenagers in Hanagatami and I thought both worked really well, though those are much less conventional/classical than The Irishman.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Saw Purge: Election Year. Still a good movie. It is not as suspenseful as Anarchy, but there are some tense moments. They definitely caught me off guard when first seeing them at the Emagine. The action definitely improved and is a lot more clearer and better edited. Purge 4 has the best action and takes certain cues from the Raid of all things.

This is the scene that definitely shocked me and caught me off guard on my first viewing and many others in the theater. Beware, there are some spoilers.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Just rewatched Akira Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress, a great adventure movie, right after opening with this special feature:

I think it's lame that he has to even justify how he came up with Star Wars, because it's not that similar to Hidden Fortress. In fact, it's very different. Anyone who says Star Wars is a ripoff of it is an asshole. And yes, there are those people.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Watched Man of Steel for the first time since 2013. Back then I remember liking it surprisingly much, and I even made a thread on these forums' successor comparing it and its contemporary, Iron man 3. Upon revisiting it I thought...

WHAT. THE FUCK. WAS I. THINKING?????

Good god have my standards for movies improved drastically since then. This isn't just a bad movie. It's like an amalgamation of every conceivable type of bad Hollywood movie: Pretentious. Indulgent. Shallow. Badly paced. Seriously dated despite not being even a decade old. Filled with characters who don't matter. Unfocused. Overstuffed. Horribly edited. Chasing trends. I could go on.

This movie gets so much wrong it should be studied in film classes. I wanted to re-evaluate it because for some reason it'd been on my mind, and I'm glad I did because holy god, I finally see why people hated it so much. I literally just spent an hour writing notes so I won't do it again here, but here's some shorter points: the editing and structure are disastrous, the acting is stilted, the characterization is shallow and rushed, no groundwork is established, there's too many characters that don't matter, tons of just laughable moments that are supposed to be serious, the film feels like it's on crack and never stops to take a breath, important moments don't feel earned, I could go on for probably hours. This actually made me rethink the entire DCEU: it wasn't some victim of studio meddling, or a vision cut short. It was dead on arrival. Fuck me Man of Steel was terrible.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The new Borat movie on Amazon

I don't know if anybody was hankering for a sequel to the 2006 movie, which as funny, cringey and novel as I remember it I haven't given it a rewatch or even a thought in 14 years. It's hard enough to even replicate the guerrilla anonymity of the character in 2020 since Borat has entered into mainstream recognition. The sequel compromises by dressing him up most of the time in a variety of obvious disguises, but I'm not convinced most of the stuff in the movie (bar appearences by Pence and Giuliani) isn't staged or wasn't concocted in post. Too many nice clean angles for too many "spontaneous" situations.

To be fair the movie is less pranky or episodic and there's more of a narrative this time around, featuring Borat's "daughter" and her tale of emancipation. Unlike the original movie the sequel feels very much a product of its time, moreso of October 2020 since the plot features Trump, COVID and all the latest hits front and center. I know they were filming as far back as July because of the Giuliani thing but from the look of it they could've put this movie together over the weekend.

It was a while before the movie got any laughs but they started coming about the halfway point. It's that kind of comedy where you laugh a bit and then you laugh harder at the fact that something so dumb got to you.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Watched Man of Steel for the first time since 2013. Back then I remember liking it surprisingly much, and I even made a thread on these forums' successor comparing it and its contemporary, Iron man 3. Upon revisiting it I thought...

WHAT. THE FUCK. WAS I. THINKING?????

Good god have my standards for movies improved drastically since then. This isn't just a bad movie. It's like an amalgamation of every conceivable type of bad Hollywood movie: Pretentious. Indulgent. Shallow. Badly paced. Seriously dated despite not being even a decade old. Filled with characters who don't matter. Unfocused. Overstuffed. Horribly edited. Chasing trends. I could go on.

This movie gets so much wrong it should be studied in film classes. I wanted to re-evaluate it because for some reason it'd been on my mind, and I'm glad I did because holy god, I finally see why people hated it so much. I literally just spent an hour writing notes so I won't do it again here, but here's some shorter points: the editing and structure are disastrous, the acting is stilted, the characterization is shallow and rushed, no groundwork is established, there's too many characters that don't matter, tons of just laughable moments that are supposed to be serious, the film feels like it's on crack and never stops to take a breath, important moments don't feel earned, I could go on for probably hours. This actually made me rethink the entire DCEU: it wasn't some victim of studio meddling, or a vision cut short. It was dead on arrival. Fuck me Man of Steel was terrible.
Yeah the scene, well the 2 scenes that really got me, were when Clark's dad dies, and is just sort of standing there like "no no son, this is where you have your tragic background moment of grief, plus i don't have anymore lines so.....peace!!" and he just...dissolves into a fucking tornado. Which I found this scene frustrating, because the whole crux of Clark losing his dad, to a heart attack, always felt to me, to show how he can't fix everything. I mean he could've saved Pa Kent in that tornado, it was within his power. If you want to humanize him, you give him a challenge he can't stop. He can't "faster than a speeding bullet" a stroke, for example. To give him that gut wrenching moment of "some things are outside my power, and I feel helpless." But the tornado scene just...made me laugh it was so comical.

The other scene was when he's sitting in the church, talking to that priest about what to do, and they angle the camera to so blatantly have a stained glass window of jesus behind him, to just smash your fucking face into the christ metaphor they were going for so hard. I was just like..."oh fucking come on guys, this is ridiculous." I seem to recall the priest even glancing up at the window during the conversation, before making a really painfully obvious comparison to the two. It was just, so bad.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah the scene, well the 2 scenes that really got me, were when Clark's dad dies, and is just sort of standing there like "no no son, this is where you have your tragic background moment of grief, plus i don't have anymore lines so.....peace!!" and he just...dissolves into a fucking tornado. Which I found this scene frustrating, because the whole crux of Clark losing his dad, to a heart attack, always felt to me, to show how he can't fix everything. I mean he could've saved Pa Kent in that tornado, it was within his power. If you want to humanize him, you give him a challenge he can't stop. He can't "faster than a speeding bullet" a stroke, for example. To give him that gut wrenching moment of "some things are outside my power, and I feel helpless." But the tornado scene just...made me laugh it was so comical.
As much as I love Man of Steel, even back then I felt the tornado scene was forced just to have a dead parent. If you're gonna kill off Pa Kent, have it make more sense. Still one of my favorite superhero films. That, and the color palette should have not been muted.

This actually made me rethink the entire DCEU: it wasn't some victim of studio meddling, or a vision cut short. It was dead on arrival. Fuck me Man of Steel was terrible.
I would not go that far or cynical. There was definitely studio meddling before and during MoS production. The somber tone. The darker color palette a la the Batman films. Mainly Batman Begins. And there was definite meddling after Batman V. Superman. See Suicide Squad and Justice League. Both of which I found average, though I had more fun with SS. WB/DC finally relented and let the directors' make their decisions and it paid off starting with Wonder Woman. Followed by Aquaman and Shazam. With Aquaman being my favorite out of the DCEU. Hell, I find Aquaman more entertaining than a lot (not all) of Marvel's MCU films.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
As much as I love Man of Steel, even back then I felt the tornado scene was forced just to have a dead parent. If you're gonna kill off Pa Kent, have it make more sense. Still one of my favorite superhero films. That, and the color palette should have not been muted.
Honestly the coloring didn't bother me at all. That's never been a detail I notice too much, or if I do, it's not really something I'm terribly critical of. Unless it's just REALLY obnoxious. But I can't recall any film where one of my complaints is the coloring, it's pretty much always structure and writing stuff. But yeah, I mean I get needing to have Pa Kent die, as that's from the comics, and heroes are contractually obligated to have a parental death, though now that I think about it this gives Clark 3 deaths. But, yeah I mean have it happen in a way that he couldn't stop.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Honestly the coloring didn't bother me at all. That's never been a detail I notice too much, or if I do, it's not really something I'm terribly critical of. Unless it's just REALLY obnoxious. But I can't recall any film where one of my complaints is the coloring, it's pretty much always structure and writing stuff. But yeah, I mean I get needing to have Pa Kent die, as that's from the comics, and heroes are contractually obligated to have a parental death, though now that I think about it this gives Clark 3 deaths. But, yeah I mean have it happen in a way that he couldn't stop.
At the risk of banging the Reeve’s movie drum, that’s exactly what they did in that movie. Clark’s feeling pretty damn good because he just outran a train.......and then his father has a heart attack and dies. There was such potential in Man of Steel; and it was summarily pissed up the wall.