Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Ah I keep trying to give this film another chance, and it never takes it. For me it's the worst. I don't remember why I rank it below Golden Gun, but it may have to do with some oddly distasteful aspects, such as Bond doing a very unbondlike obscene gesture at a car that only pretends to stop for him as he's auto-stopping to disarm an atom bomb on time. It's probably warranted by the literal ticking bomb, and also a heartfelt jab at some real life twats, but still, feels reallifishly rude and out of character. Also the plots underlying ideology... Oh no the baddies try to push the world toward nuclear disarmament, so that they can invade it as they would. Remember that film when you see hippies protesting against nuclear arm races.

On the plus side, we have a stupid crocodile submarine (love that), and many fantastically dumb jungle scenes, including one of my two main tests for Bond casting. The first one is "would that actor look cool with a rubber duck on the head", the second is "would he pull off a "hiss off !" at a snake". That second test, in particular, is what convinced me that Elba should have had the role.

But Q in a balloon with the Octopussy circus girls attacking the villains...? Yeah nope. No yo-yo saw can compensate this in my eyes. A lot of things don't gel in it. I'm not entirely not fond of it, I find all these films endearing to some level, but for me it's still the franchise at its lowest.

And by the franchise, I mean... well, there's one more. Afterwards, the series ends for me. The character's name gets used afterwards, in films that have little in common with those and with each others. One of which turns out a cool hommage. But still, they wouldn't fit in the same box...

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
When I talk about the difference between humor and silliness, the Tarzan yell in this movie is always in the silliness column. Takes you out of the movie. It is as if its makers are winking at you, telling you to stop being so excited as its only a movie. One of my least favorite 007 movies of all time.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Ah I keep trying to give this film another chance, and it never takes it. For me it's the worst. I don't remember why I rank it below Golden Gun,
Golden Gun has a great, great villain with a great, great introduction and then there's the corkscrew car jump and that's about it. They were really throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks with this one. Let's bring back the cartoon sheriff from the last one, people seemed to like him. What's hot right now? Kung fu movies? Let's have a lame kung fu action scene. And Britt Ekland gets a thankless role as the dumbest Bond girl ever.

I never liked Roger Moore much as Bond. I don't like the Captain Kirk energy he brings to the role. Which one's the one where he's dressed as a clown and trying to defuse a bomb in the final scene?

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Golden Gun has a great, great villain with a great, great introduction and then there's the corkscrew car jump and that's about it. They were really throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks with this one. Let's bring back the cartoon sheriff from the last one, people seemed to like him. What's hot right now? Kung fu movies? Let's have a lame kung fu action scene. And Britt Ekland gets a thankless role as the dumbest Bond girl ever.

I never liked Roger Moore much as Bond. I don't like the Captain Kirk energy he brings to the role. Which one's the one where he's dressed as a clown and trying to defuse a bomb in the final scene?
It's not the final scene, but that would be Octopussy.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I have a weird soft spot for this movie. Every criticism you levied at it is fair and accurate but for some reason I just can’t help but love it. Maybe they finally realised the Moore’s Bond being a bit silly might pair well with a silly movie.

Which one's the one where he's dressed as a clown and trying to defuse a bomb in the final scene?
That’s this one, actually.

But if you want to see what a more hard nosed James Bond as played by Roger Moore would be like, grab a copy of The Wild Geese

Reactions: BrawlMan

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
These films being mostly disarticulated vignettes, they are easy to cinemasin/cinemawin. This one has that scene yes but that one has this scene. Octopussy and Golden Gun fight hard in that race to the bottom. Still, there's an overall aftertaste, and I think I prefer the global feel of Golden Gun to the one of Octopussy. Gun has a bit of an easy-going smiling innocence that is mostly absent from the less sympathetic Octopussy. Maybe it's just due to Gun's formidable title song (and the way it shapes the soundtrack), or to Octopussy's very questionable underlying politics (yeah, maybe staying apolitical in those films was a good move, James Bond). Or its inclusion of odd "serious" scenes (oh the melodrama when Bond admits to Octopussy that they're made of the same stuff, such a deep and earned romantic bonding before the casual bondish ditch). It gets more rolleyey than joyous cheese.

Also was it absolutely necessary to make Octopussy a character ? 🙄

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yeah, this film is very forgettable for me. Now, I did like the bit when Bond is trying to warn people about the nuclear device, and he's getting frantic cause nobody is listening.

Also did like when the people are going to leave the base where the bomb is, and the car doesn't start first time, and they look at each other, but then it starts. Nice moment that.

Otherwise, whatever, don't really care.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Wrath of Man - 9/10

Its very by the numbers and lacks Ritchie's trademark lovable bastard characters but the gun fight scenes are very good in and of themselves, the plot doesn't deviate from the simple 'badass wants revenge' template and Statham is arguably at his most terrifying here because unlike the Expendables he's not a 'good guy' and there's none of the underlying tongue in cheek tone like in Fast and the Furious. So the story is tight, everyone plays exactly the kind of role they need to play, the movie doesn't waste fucking time on useless digressions and no one really has plot armour. SO yeah, not the biggest or baddest action movie but certainly a damn good time.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-verse

When it comes to recent superhero movies there's a handful I like fine, but when it comes to ones I am genuinely excited about, there's Snyder's stuff and then, there's Spider-verse.

One of my pet opinions that I like to bring up whenever even mildly appropriate is that I think that 3D animation is probably the greatest invention in the history of film since they figured out how to add sound to it. Cinema liberated from all physical constraints. If pictures first learned to move and then learned to speak, 3D animation taught them to shift and float, to be as ethereal and boundless as dreams and only recently film makers have penetrated the surface of this exciting young art form, so thoroughly explored by the likes of Brad Bird and John Lasseter, to mine the riches bubbling just below.

Stopping myself from waxing poetically for a second, 2018's Into the Spiderverse all but reinvented the wheel when it comes to western animated cinema and it's sequel, eclipsing the first movies brisk 90 minutes runtime with a chunky 2 hours and 20 minutes, has some large shoes to fill.

Where both movies credit three (different) directors each, they are generally considered to be the brainchild of producers Phil Lord and Christopher Miller who are faced with the challenging task of delivering yet another adaptation of one of the most overadapted properties of the last few decades, much less one running concurrently to an MCU backed version thereof. They went for the only choice that made sense, which was going full meta with the material. Spider-Man can be everyone and everything. In one universe he might be an ethnically mixed teenager. In another one he might be a girl. In another one he might be a cartoon pig. No one exactly chooses the power and the responsibility, but everyone has to come to terms with it.

Where Into was about Brooklyn teen Miles Morales learning to be a hero with the help of some extradimensional friends who are a bit farther along the way, Across gets kind of introspective about what it means to be Spider-Man, and for that matter, tell a story about him. Now there's an interdimensional league of Spider...people dedicated to making sure that the "canon" is preserved and certain events happen to every single one of them, meanwhile Miles is struggling with a dimension hopping villain called "The Spot" who provides some odd meta commentary on the old arch enemy tropes all by himself.

Across really expands the scope of the story and engages with narrative metaphysics in a way that's pretty bold for a family movie. It manages to save itself from ever becoming too meta or too conceptual through its earnest portrayal of character relationships. It's Miles' relationship with his parents and the way his romance with Gwen Stacy develops that provide the emotional centerpieces of the movie and they do a pretty good job of grounding it whenever it came close to losing me.

That said, Across easily lives up to and surpasses its groundbreaking predecessor in terms of direction. Seemlessly blending manifold styles of animation and mixed media, it's as boldly experimental as a high budget movie could ever hope to be. Live action attempts to tackle a similar subject matter like Everything Everywhere all at Once or the MCU's Multiverse of Madness appear clumsy and stilted compared to the treasure trove of visual and kinetic wonders that Across the Spiderverse keeps pouring out over almost two and a half hours. It infuses even the most mundane scenes with a sense of larger than life wonder. And then it gets to the big action setpieces and honestly, it's some of the sickest shit you're ever gonna see.

It is some very impressive stuff. Maybe not as novel anymore as the first movie was, but a succesful evolution of it. It's biggest problem is that it's only the first half of a two parter, which means it ends practically in the middle of the story and doesn't have a proper climax. For the lack of a real conclusion, I'll reserve a final judgement until I've seen the second half, which is currently supposed to release next spring. If the crew behind the movies manages to stick the landing, they'll have perhaps the best superhero trilogy of all time on their hands.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Just got back from Transformers: Rise of the Beasts. My brother really liked it, I thought it was decent.

My main issue with the movie is that the main character, Noah, while he is given plenty of motivation throughout the movie, and that motivation does do a good job of driving his actions in a way that makes sense, didn't really seem to have a lot of personality to me. They mention off-handedly that he is a lone wolf, as a way to explain why he fails to get a job to help pay the bills to support his younger brother's medical needs (that being an example of his motivation, for the record), but he never really seems to show that supposed aspect of his character other than suggesting that he and the other human who is part of the action destroy the MacGuffin that they and the villains are pursuing to ensure the safety of humanity, at the expense of the Autobots being able to return home, which is less "lone wolf" and more "protect what you know over the ones you don't", at least to me.

Also, while they give plenty of reason, and I know it's a different timeline, etc etc, but Optimus Prime was a bit of a dick in this one, and it really didn't click with me given that I had plenty of non-dick Optimus Primes to compare him to. In addition, while I was happy to see her, I felt more could have been done with Arcee as a character to stand out instead of just being there to be the dodge chick.

All that said, action was solid, the villains were great, and a surprising amount of the humor hit home for me, getting a few genuine laughs, mostly centered around Mirage, who basically stole the movie for me during his generous share of screen time. It isn't the best of the Transformers movies (that would be Bumblebee, or if you count it, the OG 1980's one), but it is definitely above any of the Bay-formers films, and I don't regret watching it.

Also, the last scene indicates we are in for another shared universe. I really don't know how to feel about that...

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Prey (8/10)

In an ideal world, I would have seen Prey on DVD. Alas, it looks like it's never coming out on DVD, and with my Disney+ subscription expiring, plus Disney's removal of material from their streaming service (bastards), I figured it was now or never. Or, later, but y'know, semantics. Anyway, I sat down, and watched this film as the obedient little 'ooman I was. Having watched it...um...okay, I'll just say it, this is the best Predator film in the franchise. Yes, even better than the first. Granted, that could change, and I know my ranking of the Predator series is a bit unorthodox (you'll see that at the bottom), but whatever the case, Prey's a very solid film. Oh sure, there's little niggles I have with it (e.g. the French trappers are a bit too cartoonishly evil), and there's little inconsistencies (the yautja doesn't harm Naru because she's maimed, but then kills Adele when he's in an even worse position), but these are minor gripes.

Now, I could leave it there, but Iz gotz more opinionz, and as such, I'll list some of them. Not a full review or anything, but certain stuff I feel is worth commenting on. So on that note:

-Minor point, but the landscape shots are gorgeous. After having lots of real-world landscapes represent alien planets in Star Wars shows, it's actually refreshing to see wilderness represent actual wilderness.

-Naru is the MVP. I know that's arguably a "duh" moment, since she's the protagonist, but Amber Midhunter does a terrific job with her. Badass, not invulnerable, good sense of motivation, etc. She's not the most complex character in the world, but she's certainly a likable one, and she carries the movie with ease.

(Also, like Leo in The Revenant, she has to survive bear attacks and encounters trappers and whatnot. Seriously, I was getting a few Revenant flashbacks with this. 0_0)

-On the subject of the protagonists being Cherokee, I can't comment on what's authentic or what isn't, but everything seems 'real' enough, so to speak, so that's nice having them as protagonists. Taabe (Naru's brother) is a good character as well. You could argue it's a cliche that Naru wants to hunt while everyone insists that her role should be a healer, and you'd probbably be right, but the film does it well enough.

-I'm going to get my comments on the film's yautja out of the way first, I love the design, and more importantly, the tech. I don't know if this was ever explicitly stated, but my take is that the yautja's tech is intentionally gimped to give him an edge over 18th century humans, but not too much. So for instance, he has a shoulder weapon that fires tracking arrows rather than a plasma caster, and has to use a manual shield to block gunfire rather than full-plate armour (still uses cloaking, the pansy). I'll be honest, I've never been as enamored with the yautja as many others, but this yautja is what I want from a Predator film - has an honour code, but is absolutely brutal, but clearly not invincible. This guy kills dozens of people, but is also wounded throughout the film.

-By extension, the gore factor. Again, gore to me is like icing on a cake, I don't mind a lack of it in of itself, but the gore here levels are gratuitous in a good way. Lots of blood, people die terribly, but it never drifts into sadism.

-Obvious parallels are obvious, but Naru has to undergo a rite of passage to become a hunter, and that's to hunt something that can hunt her back (bear, cougar, whatever), while the yautja has come to Earth to hunt prey, starting with a snake, a wolf, a bear, and then, humans, the challenge getting higher all the time. Like I said, obvious parallels and nothing really beyond them, but they work well enough.

-"If it bleeds, we can kill it," says Taabe. Which is actually one of the few times a movie has quoted another movie in its franchise without coming off as hackneyed, so well done there.

-I'm going to skip right to the final fight at this moment - I should say that if you're watching this film for in-depth character or themes, you won't really find it, but I'm going to focus on some of these things regardless, even if I'm almost certainly overanalyzing. I'll come out and say that in addition to being the best Predator film, this has the best final climax in a Predator film as well. So on the subject of it:

1: In regards to the original Predator film, there's a moment in the end where Dutch roars/yells to the yautja after covering himself in mud. My interpretation of this (even if I've never seen anyone agree with it) is that this moment of Dutch embracing his inner beast, so to speak. That after 20th century weapons have failed, it's only by 'going native/primal' that he can succeed, even if it costs him emotionally by the end. I bring this up, because while this is almost certainly overanalysing (and even if it is intended, it's not an in-depth theme), there's a similar moment here. The yautja roars at Naru, she has her own warcry that the Cherokee have used among the film back at it. While the whole "both yautja and humans are predators" trope isn't new (heck, it's in the very title of Predators), I'll give it credit for reaching its apex. Throughout the entirety of the film, parallels have been set up between Naru and the yautja (both hunt deadly prey, both paint blood on their faces), and it's conveyed without any outright dialogue.

2: Like I said, best fight scene - strength vs. agility and all that. It's very hard IMO to make it believable that any human could survive for more than a few seconds with a yautja, but here, the movie pulls it off effortlessly, and yes, the fight's appropriately brutal as well.

3: This is almost certainly (like, 99% certainly) reading too much into things, but anyway, what occurred to me is that it's arguably thematic that Naru defeats the yautja while it's snowing. We know that yautja are better suited to warmer climes than humans (we are, to borrow a phrase, "ice age animals"), so after prevailing throughout the film, it's arguably telling that Naru defeats a yautja when it's out of its element (literally). As in, this is Earth, not Yautja Prime, the planet's naturally cooler (well, at this point in time at least), hence, Naru succeeds with the planet literally backing her.

Is that likely to be the case? Absolutely not. I can't even link it to 'The Predator', where Earth's increasing temperatures are a plot point (or at least a worldbuilding one). Still, it entered my mind regardless.

-I can't really complain about the ending, but I have to question why three yautja ships show up at the end, presumably in response to Naru killing one of their own. I know that some promotional materials stated that this is the first time a yautja has come to Earth (either that's an error or a massive retcon), but you could interpret their arrival in the context of one of their own being slain. However, I'm not sure what you could do with a sequel, or even if a sequel is necessary. I certainly like the idea of Predator films having Hunts across time and place, but "across time and place" is the key part of that sentence. If there's a "Prey 2" that takes place in the same region with the same characters, I don't see it succeeding nearly as well.

So, yeah. Pretty good film. Per usual, ranking of the Predator films is below:

1: Prey
2: Predator
3: The Predator
4: Predators
5: Alien vs. Predator
6: Predator 2
7: Alien vs. Predator: Requiem

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Prey (8/10)
Remember Prey? Remember Prey?! It's crazy how two games, and a movie with the same name title have a Native American main protagonist.

1: Prey
2: Predator
3: The Predator
4: Predators
5: Alien vs. Predator
6: Predator 2
7: Alien vs. Predator: Requiem
I wouldn't put Predator 2 below AvP. My list is:

1. Predator
  2. Predator 2
  3. Prey
  4. Predators
  5. AvP
  6. The Predator - Movie still sucks donkey balls, but only barely edges out over Requiem, because I can actually see the monster designs. We already had this discussion about it years ago, so I am not doing the back and forth again.
  7. AvP: Requiem

Last edited:

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Remember Prey? Remember Prey?! It's crazy how two games, and a movie with the same name title have a Native American main protagonist.
What's crazy is how hard it is to buy the original Prey.

Be it for movies or videogames, re-using an exact same title is absolutely moronic.

I wouldn't put Predator 2 below AvP. My list is:
Yeah, I don't get Pred 2's bad rep.

Yeah, this film is very forgettable for me.
The sad irony is that forgettable Bond movies are the ones I end up rewatching most. Precisely because "hey, I hardly remember anything about it".

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
What's crazy is how hard it is to buy the original Prey.
The second hand market for the 360 version isn't too bad, at least can be downloaded from the XBOX Store and is backwards compatible on disc. You do have a big point though. The original Prey you can't get on Steam anymore.

Be it for movies or videogames, re-using an exact same title is absolutely moronic.
At least Prey (2022 film) is distinct enough to stand out by comparison to its Predator brethren. Sucks they won't releasr this on DVD/Blu-Ray. Why? These dumbasses would make even more money. Fuck controlling the digital market!

Nostalgia goggles, and not living up to absurdly high expectations. There is a silver lining to this, as around the mid 2010s, most people who had problems with Predator 2 either changed their opinion, laid off on the unnecessary criticism, and realized the movie is nowhere near as bad as they gaslighted themselves into imagining. Around this point, there were many action movie fans already tired of either superhero films, films that copied Jason Bourne (that genre of film making was on its way out around 2016), or started having better apperciation for old-school action from the 80s and 90s.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Evil Dead Rise: Gross / Great

After an earthquake, a young kid discovers a strange book in a hole under his apartment building. Against better judgement, he ends up reading it, and his mother becomes possessed by a demon. She proceeds to terrorize him, his two siblings, her sister, and several neighbors.

Really stupid movie that eschews any horror for over-the-top gore. This is a film way after its time; it'd have been better suited in the '70s or '80s low budget "B" scene.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

I do, actually.

My problems are:

-The setting feels off. I'm not talking about the urban environment, I'm talking how Predator 2 sort of hints at this dystopian future thing in 1997 that didn't pan out in the real-world, nor did it ever pan out in any element of the wider Alien/Predator universe. That isn't inherently a problem, and it's pretty much a given that the IP is in similar ground as Blade Runner (follows history up to a point, diverges from our world after that point in terms of tech progression), but Predator 2 just doesn't fit an IP that's otherwise conformed to the real-world in its respective time periods.

-The action is cliched, but without the deconstruction. Predator 1 starts with action movie cliches, then subverts them when the titular beastie turns up. Predator 2 doesn't. It has an over-the-top gang shootout in Los Angeles at the start, and the only subversion or deconstruction that happens after that is the City Hunter just being more gory and violent than everyone else. None of the Predator films are deep, but Predator, Predators, and Prey have similar throughlines/symmetry between the yautja and human protagonist, that doesn't really exist in Predator 2. It's one thing to compare a commando like Dutch to a yautja, a cop on the beat doesn't work as well.

-The main clincher I have is that there's a string of mean-spiritedness in Predator 2 that every other Predator film sans Requiem (which crosses the line into outright sadism) lacks. That's a fine line to cross, but the scene that comes to mind is when the yautja kills everyone on the subway car. These aren't gangsters or criminals, these are people who happen to have guns that have no real chance whatsoever in the dark (and in close quarters), yet they're slaughtered anyway. Or even with gang members, there's elements of vindictiveness that I find offputting. You could say there's vindictiveness in Predator 1 as well (commandos slaughter rebels, commandos then get to be on the receiving end of the proverbial bigger gun), but Predator 1 still keeps the horror elements, that these commandos, however you feel about them, are dying terribly. Predator 2 relishes in its carnage in a way that I can't really jive with.

There's other elements - for instance, the film just feels less 'tight,' its production levels are (or feel) lower, and there's less memorable moments. The influence of a film on a wider IP isn't really a marker of quality for instance, but compared to the original, what lasting legacy does Predator 2 have outside its ending where it establishes that a) the yautja have been coming to Earth for awhile, and b) that this is in the same universe as Alien (which stemmed from an easter egg)? There's some elements you can point to (e.g. the OWLF), but however one feels about Predator 2, its influence on the IP has been comparatively minimal.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Ignoring personal bias and just thinking in terms of writing and quality

1. Predator
  2. Prey
  3. Predators
  4. Predator 2
Thats all the predator films that exist in my canon. Predators is my personal favorite, but I think Prey has a bit more character development where as Predators is kind of the Independence Day of Predator films.

Predator 2 just flatout has problems, but the fundamentals are there as well as the Payoff. This isn't a TMNT III situation, its still a fun good film, its just a tad weaker.

I think the problem with even talking about the other films that include the moniker is that they are so bad as to not even be worthy of discussion. Like below YT fan film bad. Like arguably the early 2000s predator videogames are better films.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
My problems are:

-The setting feels off.
From the ONE time I watched it, this was my main complaint with Predator 2. In the first Predator, the titular character felt like a truly terrifying menace, using the already wild and dangerous jungle as his personal jungle gym to stalk a pack of isolated-if-capable men far from home and any semblance of safety. When they moved the venue to a bustling city for Predator 2, well... who cares? There was no sense of remoteness, isolation, or desperation to give the predator the gravity achieved in the first film. the stakes didn't feel intimate or acute in their execution. It felt like putting the shark from Jaws in a public swimming pool. Maybe I need to watch it again to refresh my opinion, but I just recall feeling almost immediately that they'd moved from a uniquely terrifying experience to an off-the-shelf sequel "but in the city!" Same vibe I got from Gremlins to Gremlins 2. Same vibe a lot of people get when great, linear video games go open world.

Reactions: Hawki

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
From the ONE time I watched it, this was my main complaint with Predator 2. In the first Predator, the titular character felt like a truly terrifying menace, using the already wild and dangerous jungle as his personal jungle gym to stalk a pack of isolated-if-capable men far from home and any semblance of safety. When they moved the venue to a bustling city for Predator 2, well... who cares? There was no sense of remoteness, isolation, or desperation to give the predator the gravity achieved in the first film. the stakes didn't feel intimate or acute in their execution. It felt like putting the shark from Jaws in a public swimming pool. Maybe I need to watch it again to refresh my opinion, but I just recall feeling almost immediately that they'd moved from a uniquely terrifying experience to an off-the-shelf sequel "but in the city!" Same vibe I got from Gremlins to Gremlins 2. Same vibe a lot of people get when great, linear video games go open world.
The idea was an interesting one. A force so beyond human level that setting doesn't matter, we still don't have a chance against it. Even in the heart of our most "advanced society" an American city. In execution... that really doesn't work. The Predator's avoidance of collateral damage and mass casualty completely sidesteps what would make such a thing truly terrifying.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The idea was an interesting one. A force so beyond human level that setting doesn't matter, we still don't have a chance against it. Even in the heart of our most "advanced society" an American city. In execution... that really doesn't work. The Predator's avoidance of collateral damage and mass casualty completely sidesteps what would make such a thing truly terrifying.
It is pointed out and implied that Yajuta in this movie is younger, a bit more inexperienced, and cockier. It shows and fits.

. That's a fine line to cross, but the scene that comes to mind is when the yautja kills everyone on the subway car. These aren't gangsters or criminals, these are people who happen to have guns that have no real chance whatsoever in the dark (and in close quarters), yet they're slaughtered anyway. Or even with gang members, there's elements of vindictiveness that I find offputting. You could say there's vindictiveness in Predator 1 as well (commandos slaughter rebels, commandos then get to be on the receiving end of the proverbial bigger gun), but Predator 1 still keeps the horror elements, that these commandos, however you feel about them, are dying terribly. Predator 2 relishes in its carnage in a way that I can't really jive with.
That's the thing with the Predators: you have an actual weapon and you can pick up and fight, they see that as a challenge, and will hunt you. While they do their best to avoid civilians, they're still not afraid to pick up their weapons, if it shows you can put up a fight. A lot of those civilians had weapons, and the Hunter was like a kid in a candy store. Notice how he only went after civilians that had weapons on them. He didn't go after the ones that were already fleeing and didn't have weapons on them. Predator 2 is not that mean spirited. Not even close.

Last edited: