Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
La extorsión

An airline pilot gets extorted (holy shit that's the title) into delivering mystery suitcases from Buenos Aires to Madrid. He gets caught in the middle of a plot between the "security forces" who're running the racket and the airport security which is trying to uncover the whole thing. It's a plot thickens movie but the plot stops thickening around the halfway point and by the time it looks like everything's more or less played out there're still 40 minutes to go. Ok movie with a good hook but peters out by the end, which stretches credibility in ways that are very tidy and very corny.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Chicken Little (6/10)

Bring this film up, and in my experience, usually disaproval follows. It seems to be a film that everyone agrees is mediocre at best, and the spawn of Satan at worst. Having watched it, I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as its detractors claim, nor do I think it's a bad film period. Indeed, for a solid chunk, the film would have squeezed into 7/10 territory. However, all that being said, I can understand why so many people dislike it as well.

Basically, we have Chicken Little, who's your cliched character (social outcast, bullied), whose jock father just doesn't understand him. Similarly, his friends group are comprised of social outcasts, the bulleying of which is tolerated by the school, and even encouraged in one case. In essence, your usual cliches. Not that cliches are inherently bad, but the film certainly isn't doing anything new. So on that front, I agree with such criticisms. On the other hand, I think the criticisms of C. Little's dad being too mean are unfounded. He's a flawed guy who doesn't get his kid, which means that he isn't always there for him, but again, that's a stock trope, there's nothing particularly vicious in this film that you wouldn't find in similar ones.

Anyway, C. Little and his group of oddballs discover an alien spaceship, and an alien named Kirby (no, not that Kirby) gets left behind, which prompts an alien invasion ala War of the Worlds. C. Little and his friends save the day, all's well, a terrible movie adaptation is made within the movie itself that goes on far too long as a gag at the end of said movie. Up until this point, I was probably going to give this film a 7, but the ending sequence drags on so long that by itself, it knocks it down to 6.

So, yeah. Really, it's just a bog plain standard animated film. Nothing to write home about, but hardly the spawn of Satan either.

Usual DAC ratings are below:

43) The Black Cauldron

42) Dinosaur

41) Cinderella

40) Dumbo

39) Robin Hood

38) The Rescuers

37) Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

36) Lady and the Tramp

35) Oliver & Company

34) The Sword in the Stone

33) Peter Pan

32) Sleeping Beauty

31) Pinocchio

30) The Fox and the Hound

29) The Rescuers Downunder

28) Bambi

27) The Aristocats

26) Chicken Little

25) Pocahontas

24) Basil, the Great Mouse Detective

23) Frozen II

22) Wreck-it Ralph: Ralph Breaks the Internet

21) Bolt

20) Tarzan

19) Brother Bear

18) Fantasia 2000

17) 101 Dalmations

16) The Jungle Book

15) Alice in Wonderland

14) The Little Mermaid

13) The Emperor’s New Groove

12) Hercules

11) The Hunchback of Notre Dame

10) Raya and the Last Dragon

9) Fantasia

8) Moana

7) Big Hero 6

6) Beauty and the Beast

5) Treasure Planet

4) Frozen

3) Aladdin

2) The Lion King

1) Zootopia

Reactions: gorfias

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Asterix: The Secret of the Magic Potion (4/10)

Well this was a letdown. :(

For context, the Asterix series was one of my go-to comics back in the day (similar vein as Tintin), though these days, at least in Oz, they've mostly faded. As in, go onto comic shelves in the library, and stuff like Tintin and Asterix are comparatively rare, replaced with superheroes or entire manga series. I'd joke "these Romans are crazy," but then, the Italians are doing quite well with Geronimo Stilton, so that doesn't work. But hey, damn it, some of us still remember the indominatable Gauls of a certain village that's always in 50BC, so damn it, I wanted to like this film but...I couldn't. Because it's kinda bad, actually.

I'll get one thing out of the way - if you're not familiar with Asterix, good luck understanding the context of the film, because it does a terrible job of explaining anything. Second thing out of the way is that despite "Asterix" being in the name, Asterix and Obelix aren't the main characters, and you could remove them from the film, and little would change in terms of plot or character development. Now, this isn't bad by itself, but if they aren't the protags, who is? Well, Getafix is, sort of, but even then, the film just never stops moving forward, never stops making hit-and-miss jokes that the characters are spread so thin, it's hard to get invested in many of them, and the film just never slows down, nor do the characters shut up.

It's worth mentioning the villain is another druid named Demonix (hardy hah hah) who's set up as a villain even though he's kinda got a point. He wants the magic potion, the characters object on the basis it would be too dangerous to fall into the wrong hands, yet Demonix points out that Getafix could use the potion to liberate all of Gaul instead of residing in one single village, and the thing is, he's got a point. I know that the premise of Asterix is that status quo is king, it's played for laughs 90% of the time (and good laughs too), but if you actually look at the situation, what's stopping Asterix and co. from using the magic potion to actually liberate Gaul, and indeed, most of Europe? I don't think this is a problem with the comics, but here, the issue comes to the forefront, yet never addressed in a satisfactory manner.

So, yeah. The film's a letdown. The jokes don't work, the plot doesn't work, the characters are thin, it's close to 90 minutes of yelling at the camera. Much as I wanted to like this movie, I just couldn't. It even risked going down to a 3/10, but managed to scrape into 4/10 territory based on a few genuine chuckles. So, yeah...not good. :(

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
" Russian series of satellites that can hit individual buildings with precision EMPs. "

Er...did they ever say it was precise? Weren't they going to wreck all of London with one?

" You have the shadow version of Bond in Janus/Trevelyan (turns out he faked his death, although it became a bit more faked than he'd intended when Bond cut the facility destruction time in half in response to said death) "

Been a while since I watched this, but didn't Bond change the timers before the fake death thing, as a response to the guy getting captured, but not killed?

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
I agree with all of that, with just a nuance to the Onatopp/Zorin contrast (for me it's the same scene - I don't need a straight man to anchor it, the unhinged murderous clown is hilarious in both). And more importantly a resounding no to "The music to the film does its job quite well".

No it does not. This movie's music is utter shite, Eric Serra is absolutely overrated in addition to be an utter twat, and this film is the only Bond with a bad soundtrack (not counting the title song, which is quite brlliant). It's the one major flaw of that film, but it is a terrible one. And it's absolutely soothing to hear Martin Campbell complain at lengths on how much he regrets hiring this composer. Yeah, I also regret he did. If only Serra had been chosen for any of the other Brosnan Bond instead, Goldeneye would have been the peak of the franchise. But nope. Sunk by the music. And no director's cut with David Arnold... Sigh.

Anyway, lot of great stuff in that. Famke Janssen is always formidable, and so was Robbie Coltrane. This film demonstrates what the series could have been with Brosnan, if. And I truly believed Bond was back for good, when I came out of that cinema. Brosnan is lucky this film was done, or else he would have been solely attached to, if not held responsible for, the films that followed.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
" Russian series of satellites that can hit individual buildings with precision EMPs. "

Er...did they ever say it was precise? Weren't they going to wreck all of London with one?

" You have the shadow version of Bond in Janus/Trevelyan (turns out he faked his death, although it became a bit more faked than he'd intended when Bond cut the facility destruction time in half in response to said death) "

Been a while since I watched this, but didn't Bond change the timers before the fake death thing, as a response to the guy getting captured, but not killed?
Maybe you are right about the precision part, but it's still more precise than a carpet bomb, seeing as they were able to specifically target the Servenaya facility. As for the timer change, no. He doubles back after they "execute" Alec and changes the timer, then comes out with the gas tanks as a shield.

ETA: Alec does say after being captured "Finish the job, James! Blow them all to Hell!", but he doesn't actually go through with it until after Alec is "shot".

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I agree with all of that, with just a nuance to the Onatopp/Zorin contrast (for me it's the same scene - I don't need a straight man to anchor it, the unhinged murderous clown is hilarious in both)

Anyway, lot of great stuff in that. Famke Janssen is always formidable, and so was Robbie Coltrane. This film demonstrates what the series could have been with Brosnan, if. And I truly believed Bond was back for good, when I came out of that cinema. Brosnan is lucky this film was done, or else he would have been solely attached to, if not held responsible for, the films that followed.
I was more explaining why it didn't bother me personally like the mine scene, to make it clear I'm not being a hypocrite in saying one is good and one is bad when they are so similar.

Spoiler alert: we will probably be in a fair amount of disagreement for the next two films.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I watched X.

A fun little horror movie, though neither the scares nor the tension are much to speak of. I'd say it sorta fails in this respect if not for the movie playing with the perspectives of both the victims and the killers. We're never supposed to actually be that scared I reckon, it seems be just the impotence of old age lashing out at the youth. It also seems to want to trick the audience by making the old couple purposefully decrepit and icky looking to amplify our disgust with them besides their actions. There's a scene where Pearl, the old woman, climbs into bed with our young final girl as she's sleeping, and starts caressing her. This is ofcourse creepy regardless, but had Pearl just been another young, beautiful girl, would the gut reaction have been the same? And there's also the scene of the old couple fucking, which was rad, because if there's one thing I welcome with open arms it's more unconventional sex scenes in movies. Oh, and some nice brutal deaths in there too.

I watched John Wick 3.

Never thought I would since John Wick 2 almost made me walk out of the theater it was so wholly dull. But I figured 'why the hell not, let's check it out.' And while it was better than 2, it's still one of the most empty calorie action movies you'll ever see. The first two fight scenes - the knives display fight and the stable fight - were pretty great, but everything that follows is just noise without any rhythym. Every actor in this movie feels so wasted in their roles. And despite everyone constantly saying Keanu Reeves doesn't age... he does. It was already apparent in John Wick 2 that he was suffering from some real old man stiffness, and it's no different here. Props to the guy for putting the work in, but it just becomes rather unbelieveable by the way he moves that he's able to take on these much faster moving stunt fighters.

I watched Nope.

A very pretty looking movie thanks to Hoyte van Hoytema I assume. Those landscape shots were certainly a feast for the eyes. As for the movie itself... hmmm. I can't really point to anything that's bad, but I can't name much that really captivated me either, much like Us. The movie obviously has something to say, but at the risk of completely missing the point I'll obstain. Jordan Peele does have a knack for some creepy, oppressive sci-fi visuals though - the stand-out moment in the movie being the shot where we see the people trapped in the alien's digestive system, still alive and panicking, completely powerless. That was very nice and fucked up. It was also neat to see Michael Wincott in a movie again, the dude's voice is too awesome for him to get ignored.

And I watched Scream 2.

The first movie is awesome, and I never bothered with the sequels, but since the newer movies seem somewhat more energized I figured I'd try to catch up. Anyway, it's fine, I guess. It has somewhat of the playfullness of the original, but the formula is already starting to wear thin. The killer reveal would've utterly failed (sorry Timothy Olyphant) if one of the killers wasn't Laurie Metcalf, whose crazy acting is so wonderful it boggles the mind why she wasn't utilized more in this movie. Also, I think Will Forte plays an extra in this movie, which would mean two actors who played Shaggy are in the Scream franchise.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Maybe you are right about the precision part, but it's still more precise than a carpet bomb, seeing as they were able to specifically target the Servenaya facility.
Were they? I thought they just targeted the general area, and the isolated facility was the only thing of note there. They also accidentally hit some planes.

As for the timer change, no. He doubles back after they "execute" Alec and changes the timer, then comes out with the gas tanks as a shield.

ETA: Alec does say after being captured "Finish the job, James! Blow them all to Hell!", but he doesn't actually go through with it until after Alec is "shot".
Ah, ok, now that you mention it that sounds familiar.

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
I was more explaining why it didn't bother me personally like the mine scene, to make it clear I'm not being a hypocrite in saying one is good and one is bad when they are so similar.
Yeah, what I mean is, I don't think the "what the hell is wrong with you" glance makes as much of a difference as you present it. It does add to the humour of the scene (as often the "white clown" does in many comedies), especially as Onatopp is already a joke as an almost parodic over-the-top Bond baddie (killing with sex, orgasming while she fires a machine gun - one step above Zorin's childlike glee), but it's just a matter of degree, I think the intended effect is the same with and without the public stand-in.

I'm not accusing you of being a hypocrite for making that difference, but I feel that you kinda... distrust the authors, when they don't underline the incongruity on-screen. I find odd and interesting that this factor makes such a difference, but I see it as some sort of miscommunication matter, and for me it echoes broader questions in fiction, about the perception of scenes/characters and the necessity to spell out their meaning or to knowingly wink at the public. What is obvious and what is not. From this innocuous example, the question goes as far as the recurring Scarface syndrome, or the Blazing Saddle preface. And issues I have with the jokes in Mel Brooks movies in general. It's on a spectrum of a wide range of questions about fictions and (deliberate vs accidental) ambiguities.

I'm trying to imagine the Zorin scene with such a stand in. Wondering if it would work differently (less or more). In a way, I think that Walken's hilarious rendition of Zorin's sociopathy is still more "in universe" than Jannsen's Onatopp, who is already more like a play on Zorin tropes, a meta commentary on Bond clichés ("let's go one step further, if you dare"). Again, a matter of degree. A build up, like a F&F sequel's stunt having to outdo the previous ones but crossing over to explicit self-awareness.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I watched X.

A fun little horror movie, though neither the scares nor the tension are much to speak of. I'd say it sorta fails in this respect if not for the movie playing with the perspectives of both the victims and the killers. We're never supposed to actually be that scared I reckon, it seems be just the impotence of old age lashing out at the youth. It also seems to want to trick the audience by making the old couple purposefully decrepit and icky looking to amplify our disgust with them besides their actions. There's a scene where Pearl, the old woman, climbs into bed with our young final girl as she's sleeping, and starts caressing her. This is ofcourse creepy regardless, but had Pearl just been another young, beautiful girl, would the gut reaction have been the same? And there's also the scene of the old couple fucking, which was rad, because if there's one thing I welcome with open arms it's more unconventional sex scenes in movies. Oh, and some nice brutal deaths in there too.
Had you seen Pearl beforehand? I only did afterwards but imagine my perception would’ve changed somewhat if reversed. Ultimately depends on whether the viewer is in an “origin story” or “spiritual sequel” frame of mind to get the most out of it.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Had you seen Pearl beforehand? I only did afterwards but imagine my perception would’ve changed somewhat if reversed. Ultimately depends on whether the viewer is in an “origin story” or “spiritual sequel” frame of mind to get the most out of it.
I haven't seen it yet, but I am familiar with the broad strokes of it.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Since I'm not able to work this month even after getting laid off (long story short, didn't qualify for medical leave, department wouldn't approve personal leave for my broken arm, so out I go), decided to watch one movie new to me each day in September. Today's movie was The Bad Guys. Let's just say this month is off to a great start. Fun characters, fantastic animation, and great voice acting all more than made up for a somewhat cliche story.

And the mayor was foxy in more ways than one. Not even sorry.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Since I'm not able to work this month even after getting laid off (long story short, didn't qualify for medical leave, department wouldn't approve personal leave for my broken arm, so out I go), decided to watch one movie new to me each day in September. Today's movie was The Bad Guys. Let's just say this month is off to a great start. Fun characters, fantastic animation, and great voice acting all more than made up for a somewhat cliche story.

I took my kids to see that at the cinemas when it released. The opening coffee shop scene was as close to Tarantino as you can get in a kids movie and that subsequent chase scene is a banger!

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

What a coincidence, I actually watched it myself just yesterday.

Can't say I was too riveted by it, but the way it held itself was entertaining enough. It really felt like a second staler serving of Zootopia. Very heavy on the Lupin the Third influence too. It does strangely make it past the finish line without getting bogged down by the obvious question that is 'Why are there talking animal people in this world?'

And yeah, hot fox lady is hot. Sue me. Especially in that pants suit.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
The Death of Dick Long.

Dark comedy. No bits that really make you laugh. But oh the scrapes people get themselves into!

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Thank You For Your Service on Netflix
2017 film based upon real life soldiers returned to civilian life, some willingly, others not so much, after serving in Iraq. The experience has left them all very damaged.
We've seen this sort of thing before but its still very moving.
Reminds me to not be too willing to send young men to fight, kill and even die in matters that are not vital to US interests.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Thank You For Your Service on Netflix
2017 film based upon real life soldiers returned to civilian life, some willingly, others not so much, after serving in Iraq. The experience has left them all very damaged.
We've seen this sort of thing before but its still very moving.
Reminds me to not be too willing to send young men to fight, kill and even die in matters that are not vital to US interests.
"The truth was, none cared for them; the country was served, and faithfully served, and that was all that was deemed necessary. It was, soldiers, look to yourselves, we want no more of you." Joseph Plumb Martin, The Adventures of a Revolutionary Soldier.

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Free Guy. Odd mix of very clever and very dumb. More entertaining than expected. Nice to see the Stranger Things dude continuing his career.