Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
I watched the Rise of Jordan Peterson, a documentary charting Peterson's path from obscurity to international fame and notoriety. There's extensive access to Peterson, his wife, children and parents, and his home, walls literally covered in artwork. There's also a fair amount of interviews and coverage allotted to his critics and detractors. Overall, it feels like a fairly balanced portrayal of a divisive public figure.

Strangely, the filming started in 2015, when Peterson was still a relative nobody. The film makers just seemed to get lucky and happened to be in the right place at the right time. It's kind of tragic in a way, seeing a happy and healthy Peterson spending time with his family in 2015, and then gradually becoming visibly gaunt and haggard under the stress of his journey, culminating in a scene where he's picking at a meal, looking pretty dreadful, and then checking his schedule to find he has another three interviews to get through, starting with Ben Shapiro... It's also pretty depressing knowing the health problems in store for Peterson and his family in the period following the documentary.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
So I just watched Titanic for the first time in my entire life from beginning to end.

It was certainly the most drawn out tragedy because I have always thought the ship literally broke down and collapsed at the moment of colliding with the Iceburg.

Also Bernard Hill was in this movie as the Captain of the Ship, King Theoden ladies and gentlemen.
I have a very strange relationship with that movie. I actually think it’s a really well done movie with it’s only inexcusable fault being the (literal) character assassination of First Officer Murdoch who most certainly did not kill himself. Other than that, I enjoyed watching it despite knowing the ship herself is the watery grave for around 1200 souls. And I hope the captain and crew of the SS Carpathia never paid for a single beer ever again.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Got the Scorpion king movie set, all 5 films.

Ok, the first one wasn't great, but it has the Rock, and he's always good, so...wait, he's not in any of the others? Damnit.

Second one was, shall we say, not great. Not Spiderman: Homecoming bad or anything, but not as good as the first Scorpion King movie, which was a spin-off of the sequel to The Mummy, and exactly as good as that sounds.
Wait, there's more then one Scorpian King movie?

*Googles*

Oh my god.....and there's a reboot apparently in progress as well.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Scorpion King 3, which my sister says is the worst film she's ever seen.

It stars that guy from Mutant X, and has Ron Perlman and Billy Zane, so you know it's going to be...something. Also, Billy Zane's magical henchpersons are 3 legit martial artists types, so there's that.

They didn't have enough stuntpeople, so in the fight scenes there's lots of extras standing around aggressively to make up the numbers who don't do anything. Filmed in Thailand (which is not that different to Egypt, in that its also on Earth)...apparently at some tourist sites they couldn't have to themselves so had to stop whenever a tourist walked past.

I was going to say "not as bad as Spiderman: Homecoming, but still pretty bad", but while it starts out pretty bad, it picks up. I did like the 3 magic henchpersons, they were sorta cool, though only the witch got to do much.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I was going to say "not as bad as Spiderman: Homecoming, but still pretty bad", but while it starts out pretty bad, it picks up. I did like the 3 magic henchpersons, they were sorta cool, though only the witch got to do much.
I know you have your hatred of Homecoming, but Scorpion King 3 is way worse than Homecoming. Keep in mind, I found Homecoming just average. Far From Home was better, but my favorite Spidey film will always be Into the Spiderverse. How you are able to sit through any of the Scorpion King sequels is beyond me.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I know you have your hatred of Homecoming, but Scorpion King 3 is way worse than Homecoming. Keep in mind, I found Homecoming just average. Far From Home was better, but my favorite Spidey film will always be Into the Spiderverse. How you are able to sit through any of the Scorpion King sequels is beyond me.
Scorpion King 3 has bad acting, no budget and poor writing, but Spiderman: Homecoming is an MCU movie and it's got Stark in it in a biggish role. I did like Zendaya Coleman randomly appearing out of nowhere every so often, but there's not enough of that.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Scorpion King 3 has bad acting, no budget and poor writing, but Spiderman: Homecoming is an MCU movie and it's got Stark in it in a biggish role. I did like Zendaya Coleman randomly appearing out of nowhere every so often, but there's not enough of that.
Zendaya was fun, and yes I wish there had been more of her. I still like that film in itself, even as Zendaya lite as it was.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Scorpion King 4. Yeah, ok, this one is just bad. No redeeming features, painfully bad at times. Still better than Spiderman: Homecoming, but that's about all I can say for it.

It's got Michael Biehn and Rutget Haeur and a bunch of people you might know if you're into wrestling. But, meh.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
What is it you didn't like about Homecoming? Personally I found it preferable to Far from Home.
Well, everyone is acting obnoxious like they are Tobey Maguire Spiderman once he's been venomed or whatever in his 3rd one all the time. Painfully unfunny.

But mostly it's how a large part of the movie is Parker angsting at a mistake he made, and it's not his fault at all. Stark et al are incompetent to the point of criminal negligence, but we're supposed to like (or at least respect) them for some reason.

There's that line about Donald Trump being a weak man's idea of a strong man, a stupid man's idea of a rich men and a poor man's idea of a rich man (or something), and it applies very nicely to Tony Stark as well. Cannot stand people like that, ruins the movie for me.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Scoprion King 5. Put this one on, and wait, they are going to make a real movie this time? Like, they are putting proper effort and giving it a legitimate try?

Well, no, not quite as it turns out, but almost. Get rid of the golem that keeps turning into bad comedy, and men not taking the female warrior and hse beats them up seriously cause the writers have heard of feminism but don't know what it is. Otherwise, it's sorta decent. Should have been better, but a pretty defendable go.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Scoprion King 5.
Wait, there's 5 of those?

So that's down to, what, the 4th direct-to-dvd sequel to a mediocre spin-off to a crummy sequel to a remake of a 1930's B movie? That's impressive, in a way.

Just saw about 10% of The New Mutants.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Wait, there's 5 of those?

So that's down to, what, the 4th direct-to-dvd sequel to a mediocre spin-off to a crummy sequel to a remake of a 1930's B movie? That's impressive, in a way.
There's 5 so far, a reboot is apparently in the works as well. Oddly, the Mummy films only number 3, at least in that set. And technically, I think it's a remake of The Mummy's Hand in the 40s, not the Boris Karloff one in the 30s.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Well, everyone is acting obnoxious like they are Tobey Maguire Spiderman once he's been venomed or whatever in his 3rd one all the time. Painfully unfunny.

But mostly it's how a large part of the movie is Parker angsting at a mistake he made, and it's not his fault at all. Stark et al are incompetent to the point of criminal negligence, but we're supposed to like (or at least respect) them for some reason.

There's that line about Donald Trump being a weak man's idea of a strong man, a stupid man's idea of a rich men and a poor man's idea of a rich man (or something), and it applies very nicely to Tony Stark as well. Cannot stand people like that, ruins the movie for me.
Stark being criminally negligent is his MO. Like, who makes a second Ultron after the first one failed so badly.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
I watched Overlord, a film about Nazis making undead soldiers from some black stuff they just happened to find in a small French village. It was shit. From now on I'm going to avoid anything that JJ Abrams has had a hand in.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I watched Overlord, a film about Nazis making undead soldiers from some black stuff they just happened to find in a small French village. It was shit. From now on I'm going to avoid anything that JJ Abrams has had a hand in.
I thought it was good and one of JJ's better films. Keep in mind, I am not hater of his films, but I don't care for his filmography. The only other movie of his I've watched was the original Cloverfield, but I don't even own the DVD for that anymore.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ninja (2009) - One of Scott Adkins first solo films I ever saw. Seeing it again, I must say the action still holds up. Then again, Scott knows how to do fight choreography and the film director, Issac Florentine, is know for directing and making great action. For the record, Mr. Florentine is the same guy who started off directing episodes of Power Rangers (the way later seasons in the late 90s) and WMAC masters. Remember the latter? I do. HEHEHE. You can tell it's a low budget action film, but it does not hurt the movie. The film is well shot despite mostly filmed on sets and sound stages, but there are plenty of scenes where they shot in actual locations.

The plot is your typical good ninja vs. bad ninja. Casey being the good ninja who's the stoic all round nice guy. While Masazuka (main villain) is the ninja who was kicked out of the same dojo Casey trained at because, the former is an arrogant shit head. Years later the Masazuka becomes a paid for hire assassin and becomes a cyber ninja that uses traditional weaponry and guns. And yes, it's bad ass. An assassin that works for a corporation that has a Satanic cult. I did not make that up. This movie does have a charm the sequel does not. The sequel is by no means bad, but it's takes a more "grounded" approach by comparison. The first film has something of a campy, comic book tone while still being serious. It's a charm that brought me pleasure.

Also, for some reason on the back the DVD/Blu Ray box, it says there are Yakuza assassins. They never show up nor are mentioned in the movie entirely. No, not even Mazazuka works for or mentions them. Though I would not be surprised if he did assassination jobs for them in the past.

Ninja II: Shadow of a Tear - The sequel is good, but it's your typical revenge plot. Casey'swife, Namiko (girlfriend in the first film), gets killed and it's off to get revenge. Kinda makes the first film pointless in that regard, because she almost died near the end. Also, she could fight, but it sucks that she dies off screen like that. Went down without much of a fight. The action scenes are great, and lots effort was done everyone's part. My only problem with this film is that the twist is stupid and can be seen coming a mile away on who murdered Namiko and it was not Goro who did it. It was the old friend/longtime acquaintance (Nakabara played by Kane Kosugi) that happens the show up after the murder happened. His reasoning is even dumber: knocking out his competition in the drug dealing ring. If Casey died, Naka's plan would have gone up in smoke gaining nothing. With that said, you see improvements in Adkins acting and he gets even better in his later films. See Hard Target 2, Close Range, and The Accident Man (the best film to showcase this). If you're into ninja films or a huge fan, I recommend both films.

Extra: Adkins should really have his own Batman film. Need further proof:

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Saw Zombieland, which I'd started watching some time ago, but stopped because it starts out being really painfully bad, but it did get better when I watche dit the whole way through. Not good, though, but more or less watchable, I guess.