Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Reactions: BrawlMan

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
With Eboshi I feel like there's more to her actions than just wanting the head to provide for her village. Her buying up the contract of every slave girl and brothel worker along with her seeming contempt for the forrest gods implies she has a real bone to pick with the old ways, with tradition. Even if that tradition is a literal physical manifestation.

I also love how Moro speaks about San as if she's just a tool for her to fight the humans, but in Moro's final moment - when she's holding on to her last bit of strength to kill Eboshi - she instead uses it to save her daughter. When killing Eboshi would've saved the Forrest Spirit.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
With Eboshi I feel like there's more to her actions than just wanting the head to provide for her village. Her buying up the contract of every slave girl and brothel worker along with her seeming contempt for the forrest gods implies she has a real bone to pick with the old ways, with tradition. Even if that tradition is a literal physical manifestation.

I also love how Moro speaks about San as if she's just a tool for her to fight the humans, but in Moro's final moment - when she's holding on to her last bit of strength to kill Eboshi - she instead uses it to save her daughter. When killing Eboshi would've saved the Forrest Spirit.
That is definitely a fair interpretation of Eboshi. This film's characters are just so complex, I love it. I also really liked that moment as well with Moro, and how she barely even hesitated, just commenting that she was going to save it for Eboshi, but...

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
That is definitely a fair interpretation of Eboshi. This film's characters are just so complex, I love it. I also really liked that moment as well with Moro, and how she barely even hesitated, just commenting that she was going to save it for Eboshi, but...
It's very small and barely worth mentioning, but I also love how the samurai in this movie are just soldiers, as most were in reality. They're not the usual calm collected traditional badass samurai we see in fiction (i.e. the fictional kind), they're just dudes on the battlefield with swords and spears. And most we see are kinda assholes.

I heard Miyazaki intentionally choose to not have the usual ancient Japanese iconography for this movie as we see in most other movies and anime. Both our heroes - Ashitaka and San - are very skilled fighters, but are not samurai coded in any way. We even have a scene of Ashitaka in his demon infused anger bend a giant katana like it's nothing. Maybe that was a coincidence, but I get the feeling throughout this movie that Miyazaki wants nothing to do with samurai adoration.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Hell or High Water (2016)

Neo-Western by David McKenzie, written by Taylor Sheridan, whose name has practically become synonymous with the genre.

Hell or High Water is the story of two brother played by Chris Pine and Ben Foster robbing banks to secure the future of their family and two rangers played by Jeff Bridges and Gil Birmingham going after them. It distills the the essence of the western down to its bare basics, those breaking the law and those upholding it. Very cleverly using post recession America at its backdrop, where faith in the institutions, the government, the bank, law enforcement was starting to dissolve and desperation started to overtake the desire to not rock the boat.

Pine plays a divorced labourer, Foster an ex-con. Both are aware that their crime spree is probably going to be the end of them, doing it not to benefit themselves but to benefit their families. Bridges and Birmingham are just doing their job, trying to protect innocents from getting in harms way. Hell or High Water makes it clear that neither of those are in the wrong, strictly speaking, but also that neither of them are upholding any noble principles. Both are doing what they're doing because they concede that it's a violent world we're living in and that the application of violence is the only way to survive.

Not to overthink any of it, though, Hell or High Water is at its core a fairly simple narrative. It doesn't quite manage to, or even attempt to, elevate its stories and its character from archetypal to iconic the way something like No Country for Old Men clearly wants to. It's a story about very essential ideas, not of very essential ideas. Which means despite never quite reaching for something transcendent, it never really stumbles. It's a fairly grounded story with realistic characters, realistic motivations and set pieces that play out in fairly realistic ways. It is, by any definition an action movie, but what it has in terms of shootouts, explosions and standoffs all plays out in a way that takes human life seriously. Every death has a sense of impact. Every scene plays out believably without ever becoming completely predictable.

All of which makes HoHW a very appreciable movie. There is a certain restraint to the way it refuses to exaggerate its action or its drama for the sake of establishing a sense of scale or meaning the material doesn't warrant. There is very little pretention to it. There are, which I will say, a couple of moments where the dialogue felt to me like it was trying a bit too hard and exchanges came close to gratuitous tarantinoing. It's not that those exchanges weren't witty, which certainly puts the above those in many other recent movies, but you could also tell that they were written by a writer trying to be witty. Much like I wasn't that hot on many of the needle drops in the earlier half of the movie that seemed to have gone through a grab bag of not terribly memorable country music. I did enjoy the original score by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis, though.

I think Hell or High Water is a very effective movie that has some larger ideas riding on the backseat, but never lets them interfere with the rather simple and personal story playing out at the front. A simple and personal story that's effectively directed and very well acted. Jeff Bridges as the cranky old ranger is probably the standout but honestly, I genuinely feel Chris Pine should be given more credit. Of all the generic handsome blond guys to come out of the modern action movie scene, he's the one who embodies the whole dashing leading man with the most genuine humanity. He's probably more than half the reson the Wonder Woman movie are remotely watchable. I like the dash of Michael Mann in the staging of the shootouts and bank robbery.

It's a movie that is really quite good in a very modest and straight forward way. Human without too much sentimentality, witty without too much buffoonery and manly without too much machismo. It was the last movie I've been meaning to watch in my, inevitably reductive, little retrospective of the western genre throughout the years and I think I'm quite happy with it as a capstone.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Mortal: Decent / Great

Eric, struggling and wandering in the Norwegian wilderness, has a chance encounter with some young locals. Things get tense and almost become violent when one of the young people, upon simply touching Eric, suddenly drops dead. Eric is arrested for the murder, and it's soon discovered that Eric, under stressful situations, can inexplicably affect the elements, e.g.: causing storms and lighting things on fire. The focus soon becomes less about holding him culpable for murder, and more about understanding who or what Eric is.

A decent movie. Slow boil that has a few nice moments of intrigue. My only complaint is that at the very end, it gets a little chintzy, and makes some pretty eye-roll-y decision for its finale. It actually felt rushed towards the end given how plodding the +hour and change leading up to the end had been. The final minutes felt like a cop out, like they were so wrapped up in building the intrigue, the writer forgot to check their watch, lost track of time, and looked up to see they had only 10 minutes left, and slapped together a convenient close. Still, I recommend it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's very small and barely worth mentioning, but I also love how the samurai in this movie are just soldiers, as most were in reality. They're not the usual calm collected traditional badass samurai we see in fiction (i.e. the fictional kind), they're just dudes on the battlefield with swords and spears. And most we see are kinda assholes.

I heard Miyazaki intentionally choose to not have the usual ancient Japanese iconography for this movie as we see in most other movies and anime. Both our heroes - Ashitaka and San - are very skilled fighters, but are not samurai coded in any way. We even have a scene of Ashitaka in his demon infused anger bend a giant katana like it's nothing. Maybe that was a coincidence, but I get the feeling throughout this movie that Miyazaki wants nothing to do with samurai adoration.
That is why I consider it the best of the best of his works.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
And another re-review that, sadly, did not hold up well.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Jeff Bridges as the cranky old ranger is probably the standout but honestly, I genuinely feel Chris Pine should be given more credit. Of all the generic handsome blond guys to come out of the modern action movie scene, he's the one who embodies the whole dashing leading man with the most genuine humanity. He's probably more than half the reson the Wonder Woman movie are remotely watchable.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Would be cool if he managed to find a part for him in that allegedly final movie he's making.
I feel he could've easily played the Timothy Oliphant part in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Not that Oliphant wasn't great in it. But the character is basically how QT describes Pine's rise to stardom.

Anyway, going to be hard to meet all the expectations for Tarantino's final movie. Most fans want him to reteam with basically everyone he's ever worked with.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I feel he could've easily played the Timothy Oliphant part in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Not that Oliphant wasn't great in it. But the character is basically how QT describes Pine's rise to stardom.

Anyway, going to be hard to meet all the expectations for Tarantino's final movie. Most fans want him to reteam with basically everyone he's ever worked with.
I'd feel more strongly about it if I actually believed he's gonna retire after his next movie. After 5 years at most he's gonna get bored and announce a comeback.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@thebobmaster, I know I am a little late on this, but check out Bennett's review of Princess Mononoke. There's some extra details and food for though you will love.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Godzilla Minus One 8/10

Funny enough just as I was wrapping up a Monsterverse catch-up marathon, a new Japanese Godzilla makes its way to my radar and this one, unlike the countless others, is getting massive universal praise and attention. So I checked it out and indeed it's a good movie and an interesting counterpoint.

The movie folds in the Godzilla tradition into a dramatic war movie that addresses the traumatic complex legacy of WW2, the relationship between individual duty, honor, and valor and nationalism. Family drama and personal stakes portrayed as not just a necessary afterthought. Compared to the American films, it feels more like practical fx and natural lighting (I don't know if it actually was it just feels like it to me)- for better and worse because we see more of our thicc lizard boy from the git go.

It was a nice contrast to see a modern Godzilla that didn't have any of that Disney hyper-editing cool-guy banter stuff. I mean the Monsterverse movies might as well have been part of the MCU in terms of presentation. At times this one felt more like a prestige war movie, especially in the climax it had parallels to Dunkirk.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
No Hard Feelings

So, Jennifer Lawrence plays a woman who totally isn't a sex worker, but is hired by a couple to have sex with their teenaged son. He's supposed to be 19, but played by a 22 year old, she's 32. IRL, they say that they aren't condoning this sort of thing, it's supposed to be messed up, but there's a happy ending so the message is that J-Law being hired to have sex with you is a good thing, I guess. Also, one can't help but wonder at a gender swapped version. Preferably starring Leonardo DiCaprio, cause why not.

Anyhoo, you know that thing where you are watching a move for the plot, and a pointless sex scene comes up and it's then someone walks in the room and sees what you are watching? I think it was a meme a while back.

In this film, this would be where a totally naked Jennifer Lawrence is fighting 3 teens at a beach at night, get punched in the groin, falls to her knees, and gets caught in a headlock, until she flips the guy over her head and collapse onto the sand. Which, ok...this is a thing I have now seen.

Some bits were funny, I guess, some "aren't kids today all silly being woke" stuff which wasn't. The leading lady plays a stereotypical hot mess, the leading man plays a stereotypical teen nerd. Everyone was at least giving it a proper go, not phoning it in because it's just a sex comedy, so there's that.