Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I'll jump to its defense. It came out in 1941. It's story telling style was reasonably unique for the time. Imagine if Memento came out in that era!
And Kane is a poor little rich boy story. He is a limousine liberal, trying to be for the little guy but in reality is in a different class. He is a creature of his environment and eventually, cannot escape who he is. You are not really supposed to like him.

This movie really pointed out to me how subjective movie love is. A hero of mine, movie critic Pauline Kael , disliked the movie, writing that its cinematography was too dark. Too dark for who I wondered. If she thought it too dark, that is her right. Period. But from then on, I realized just how subjective art criticism is.

No one was even close to him when he said "Rosebud". There should therefore never have been an investigation of what the name meant to him.
Hmm, fair point. I think I only ever watched three b/w movies, this one, Of Mice and Men (1939 version) and Psycho (1960), and some Twilight Zone episodes. It's so weird, because I love OMAM and Psycho, but maybe it's because I love the original novel for OMAM and Psycho has that classic shower scene and the reveal of who Norman Bates is. As for Twilight Zone, the few episodes I did watch all seem to have amazing social commentary and human struggles with their flaws.

I guess if I was exposed to more movies from those time, then I might've appreciate CK more. I agree that CK is still great, but I just can't seem to bring myself to appreciate and revere the movie as much as others do.

And after all that, I'm starting to feel how it feels like to be at the receiving end, from younger critics than me. For example, I heard plenty of complaints regarding Dark Knight. While I love that movie to death, some of the criticisms I heard are the exactly the same aspects I have for CK; The narrative. More precisely, the criticmss seems to be how the movie doesn't feel like a "batman movie" but more of a "crime drama movie", and despite late Heath Ledger's incredible performance as Joker it didn't save from just how convoluted and intricate the character's scheme was.

EDIT:

Great, now I wanna go watch Psycho

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
> I guess if I was exposed to more movies from those time, then I might've appreciate CK more. I agree that CK is still great, but I just can't seem to bring myself to appreciate and revere the movie as much as others do.

This is the double-edge sword of canonizing entertainment like this, the idea of top-whatever-lists and "must-see" and "all-time" whatevers. Like no one should "revere" anything- well I guess maybe unless you're going to be a filmmaker you "should" revere a "classic" thing but if you're just a normal person interested in watching a movie you don't have to revere something to like. But not to, even, you know? That's why I called the attitude about apprehensions toward treating it like "homework"- it shouldn't be.

But then on the plus side, it does get people to check things out. I certainly watched, listened to and played things I wouldn't have otherwise if they weren't on lists or annoying people didn't push them on me and some of my favorite things came from that.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Hmm, fair point. I think I only ever watched three b/w movies, this one, Of Mice and Men (1939 version) and Psycho (1960), and some Twilight Zone episodes. It's so weird, because I love OMAM and Psycho, but maybe it's because I love the original novel for OMAM and Psycho has that classic shower scene and the reveal of who Norman Bates is. As for Twilight Zone, the few episodes I did watch all seem to have amazing social commentary and human struggles with their flaws.

I guess if I was exposed to more movies from those time, then I might've appreciate CK more. I agree that CK is still great, but I just can't seem to bring myself to appreciate and revere the movie as much as others do.

And after all that, I'm starting to feel how it feels like to be at the receiving end, from younger critics than me. For example, I heard plenty of complaints regarding Dark Knight. While I love that movie to death, some of the criticisms I heard are the exactly the same aspects I have for CK; The narrative. More precisely, the criticmss seems to be how the movie doesn't feel like a "batman movie" but more of a "crime drama movie", and despite late Heath Ledger's incredible performance as Joker it didn't save from just how convoluted and intricate the character's scheme was.

EDIT:

Great, now I wanna go watch Psycho
My boy (born in 1995) used to think that nothing that came out before he was born was worth watching but I could surprise him at times (Of Terminator 2 he said, "that was like something that could have been made now!". His tastes are developing and I try to feed him a few older movies to try out as he gets bored of the same old same old. One of the more recent watches was Scar Face.

Few B&W movies off the top of my head:

Its a Wonderful Life
Bringing Up Baby
Arsenic and Old Lace
Casablanca
To Kill a Mockingbird
The 3rd Man
12 Angry Men
On the Waterfront

Maybe I'll make a point of watching, "Night of the Hunter" ASAP. I hear it is great.

Not in any particular order.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Hit Man.

The new one on Netflix. Perfect type of movie to watch with the missus. Comedy, action, romance, intrigue, etc. all rolled into one, and surprisingly somewhat based on a true story. A professor moonlights as a “gotcha” undercover murder for hire agent of sorts but ends up falling for a woman desperately trying to escape her abusive husband. The setup is perhaps better than the execution (no pun), but the nods to more effective movie hitman make it clear the movie is self aware enough to be comfortable doing its own thing.

Reactions: BrawlMan

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The Bike Riders: Alright / Great

Based on true events, the story about the origins of a motorcycle club in the US Midwest in the 1960s.

Great acting, very little substance. There's not so much a "story" as there is a recounting of a bunch of events that happened. A "Shaggy Dog" movie if ever there was one.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
I rewatched Mad Max: Fury Road on Netflix after seeing Furiosa recently. Yep, it's still great. I hadn't seen it since it came out originally, but turns out I remembered it pretty well. Not that there's much to remember to begin with: it's boom, bang, vroom, crash all the way through, with some added wa-wa-wee-wa from Immortan Joe's wives. It's deservedly one of the best action movies of the entire 2010s. There were a couple of things where I wondered about the continuity: I honestly don't remember if Furiosa had the brand on the back of her neck in the prequel. Shouldn't it have been there? The other part where the continuity is noticeably looser is the Green Place itself: Furiosa shows the place to be shielded by mountains, but in Fury Road it's shown as one giant marsh flat. The geography differences are just too much to ignore.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I rewatched Mad Max: Fury Road on Netflix after seeing Furiosa recently. Yep, it's still great. I hadn't seen it since it came out originally, but turns out I remembered it pretty well. Not that there's much to remember to begin with: it's boom, bang, vroom, crash all the way through, with some added wa-wa-wee-wa from Immortan Joe's wives. It's deservedly one of the best action movies of the entire 2010s. There were a couple of things where I wondered about the continuity: I honestly don't remember if Furiosa had the brand on the back of her neck in the prequel. Shouldn't it have been there? The other part where the continuity is noticeably looser is the Green Place itself: Furiosa shows the place to be shielded by mountains, but in Fury Road it's shown as one giant marsh flat. The geography differences are just too much to ignore.
Continuity was never much of a thing in the Mad Max movies. Fury Road starts off with Max saying he was once a cop, he looks like he's at best in his late thirties, but the world itself seems like it's been in this post-apocalyptic state for decades. It's even implied that the Salt they mean to cross (once they realize the Green Place no longer exists) used to be the ocean, which would suggest that a lot of time has past.

I haven't seen Furiosa yet, so I don't know if during Furiosa's childhood we see more of an intact society still present, but if we don't, it really puts into question how bloody old Max is supposed to be.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

This film had no right being this good.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It is? I missed that.
Furiosa mentions getting enough gas to ride maybe 110 days to make it across the salt, and then later Max remarks that 110 days in their current direction there's nothing but salt. Considering this still takes place in Australia, I don't know what else it could be.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Furiosa mentions getting enough gas to ride maybe 110 days to make it across the salt, and then later Max remarks that 110 days in their current direction there's nothing but salt. Considering this still takes place in Australia, I don't know what else it could be.
And if it’s on Australia, just how the hell slow are they going to ride 110 fucking days and not run into ocean. I mean they are clipping pretty good in the movies without being chased ffs. Then still, what gas mileage do these rigs get, for it to last 110 days. Do they limit themselves to what, ten miles a day?

Gah. Barring that lack of logic, still an awesome flick.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Jennifer's Body, 7/10

This is a 2009 Megan Fox vehicle about two highschool friends, played by Fox and Amanda Seyfried. One night a band visits their small town and a fire breaks out, and in the ensuing confusion Fox's character is seen getting into a van with the band and driving away. Soon after people start dying and there's a whole bunch of stuff about sexuality and female friendship in a very unique mix that's quite unlike anything released at the time or since.

When you hear "2009 high school horror film headed by Megan Fox" your expectations probably aren't going to be very high, and indeed this film was received quite poorly on its release. Since then it's gone through a major reevaluation and deservedly so, because this is a much more clever and subversive film than one might derive from its surface appeal. It's a very interesting mix of comedy, horror and drama and it balances all of them quite well. This was written by Diablo Cody of Juno fame, and it has a very distinct style to its dialogue that at times borders on sounding excessively smartass and snarky, but for the majority of it it's really fun and engaging dialogue. It lampoons a whole bunch of high school movie tropes and cliches: nerdy girl and the hot cheerleader being friends, checking out cute boys, relationship troubles, and provides an interesting twist or angle on all of them. Despite its heightened sense of style, it depicts Needy (Seyfried's character) and Chip's (her boyfriend) relationship with a surprising warmth and a sense of down to earth mundanity that's still quite rare in Hollywood movies. It manages to be funny, genuinely tense and also emotionally engaging when it needs to. Megan Fox is kind of perfect casting for this role. I'm not gonna say her performance is phenomenal or anything, but she honestly fits the role perfectly, playing a vapid queen bee. Her and Seyfried have great chemistry, and you genuinely buy them as friends. Seyfried's also great, and she sells quite an unusual character arc perfectly convincingly.

If there are criticisms, I guess the pacing could maybe use some work, especially towards the end. It seems like the movie didn't really know where to end, so it kind of ends multiple times and keeps ending even during the end credits.

Last edited:

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
As I promised myself, I watched Psycho.

And holy hot damn, Hitchcock knows how to do suspense; He keeps building tension and mystery, and has that big climax.

When I saw this film about a few years ago, I thought I only loved the movie's plot from the point where the girl gets killed, and everything before that just felt pointless.

But now viewing it again, I actually think those parts are brilliant as well; We keep expecting her to get caught for embezzlement at some point, constantly getting chased by the police officer. But that shower murder scene just shatters what was expected, and that infamous soundtrack nails the intensity and compliments the unexpectedness.

And after that. I think the plot gets even better; Now the mystery is on who exactly Norman Bate's mother is and why is her face always hidden. That reveal at the end is pretty horrifying, and I can see why it gained so much attraction back then. The ending of Norman smiling (and having that skull in the background) is brilliant.

While all the elements and structures can be found in any slasher-flicks these days. I gotta appreciate this film for jumpstarting all that, before they become over-saturated in the industry

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Inside Out 2 - 10/10

I loved it as much as I loved the first one, Riley is one their best realised characters and her parents are genuinely great side acts.

Also I liked that the trailer was designed to make you think the popular girls were a typical American High School ***** Posse who are leading Riley astray when in fact it is none of those things, just Riley's anxiety creating situations that don't exist and moving in a feedback loop.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I saw Mars Express(2023) last night

I'll just come right out and say I'm torn between a 9/10 and a 10/10. The visuals and ideas in this film were simply jaw dropping. For that reason alone it feels like its a must see.

Mar Express tells the story of a murder/missing person investigation by a PI in 23XX taking place mostly on Mars. Similarly to the Blade Runner films and Ghost In the Shell this is simply an anchor point used to explore what humanity would like in 300 years. The film takes great pains to show off the little changes and contemporary aesthetics of the typical day in the future. How do we communicate, travel, chores. However it's all designed with an eye towards realism. The film is hard scifi. No quantum reality or teleporters, just the gradually progression of science and Micromanufacturing. AI is common place, but robots do not have equal rights and still follow the laws established by Isaac Asimov. The afterlife exists, but only in limited form using back up mechanized copies of you. We've achieved commercial space flight using propulsion efficiency rather than some vague unobtanium. Organically grown computers have just reached commercial application.

At the same time, this is all told through inference. Like Blade Runner, the plot is lasered focused on the PI. IN fact I had to pause and rewind at least 5 times because as an engineer I found something interesting going on in the back ground had to look at it in more detail.

The acting is very good, though I watched it in french (its now available dubbed), so its that classic conundrum of not knowing if they acting is good or the subtitles are well done. I will say I loved all the little nuisances to the face expressions and ticks.

Unfortunately the weakest part of the film is the big twist. If I name a single scifi film you're gonna be like "Oh its that again", at the same time there's a lot of pieces to the overall puzzle that still made it compelling. Rather than a big finish where Will Smith yells "Welcom to earf" or Bruce Will grunts a "yipp-kai-yah" this is more contemplative. More like "well this could go in a lot of directions" and theres a strange emotional payoff.

Typing this I think I've settle on a 9/10. Your mileage may vary though depending on how much you think science is awesome or if you think Rebel Moon was a good movie.

I'm actually gonna share the original trailer, the english trailer has a lot of dumb trope stuff

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
The Rise Of Skywalker (2019)

This review is slightly spoilerific.

I remember back in 1999, and the long awaited The Phantom Menace arrived on our screens. Oh, how we piled out in droves to see the rebirth of the legendary Star Wars universe... only to stumble out, dumbfounded, at the weak, incoherent, mediocrity that had been laid on for our entertainment.

But on witnessing The Rise Of Skywalker (having rmembered that I hadn't actually watched it), I can happily announce that The Phantom Menace has been boldly superceded as the worst film in the 9-episode main series. You get the feeling that something is amiss right from the start, as the familiar music blares out and the scrolling yellow text informs us Emperor Palpatine is back. Well. That's kind of a huge, off-camera thing to causally drop on us via exposition dump.

There's no point really addressing the plot. It's just a load of characters from the previous two movies suddenly appearing here and there for a quick action sequence and chat before dashing onto the next, and then there's a big showdown and the film ends. It is incoherent. Apparently, no-one sat down and thought of a solid, ongoing storyline you could follow, they decided to just randomly chuck some characters into different situations for set-pieces to quickly zip through to give the simulacrum of a story. It's an extended exposition dump. It could almost have been done by montage. The belief-suspension and plot-holes are soul-destroying. And much of it is so incredibly lazy I could weep. So Palpatine, dead-not-dead, has somehow via a single planet managed to build a fleet bigger than the Empire. Yes, he's not just magically back from the dead, he's magicked up a whole fleet, not that he even needs one because the First Order has already crushed the Republic militarily. That's a whole fleet that is not only pointless, but thankfully can be destroyed in entirety because it's freakishly reliant on one, single, massive, plot-device point of failure, as if they haven't learnt anything at all from all the previous mishaps.

It squanders tension appallingly. One of the problems is the "has to be bigger" bloat. In Star Wars, the Death Star could blow up a planet, and that was a moment of shock and terror. In Ep. 6 they're building a new one, and it works fine because it creates such a good reason to stop it. In Ep. 7 they resurrect the idea as "Starkiller Base" (that name alone is worth a year of eyerolling), and at the end now every, single goddamn star destroyer in this magicked-up fleet has it's own planetbuster. The amazing has become the boring. It's almost just a casual line of dialogue: "Oh yeah, by the way they've got 2000 ships each of which can destroy the galaxy now. So, how's your coffee, and did you see the game last night?... Mm, yeah, Coruscant Athletic really need a better full back." There's also shocking creative cowardice about this movie. Clearly, the heroine being announced to be a nobody in the last film was a bit controversial, so that got clumsily retconned. That mechanic who helped Finn a lot in Ep. 8 was also unpopular, so she's been slung off to a few bit-scenes. Bringing back Palpatine just to make a new boss battle. I think this is JJ Abrams all over: a sheen of style to cover a creative bankruptcy: movie-making by focus group, cynical, safety-first, no depth and no real respect for source material.

So, that's it, really. A thoroughly shambolic and inadequate end to a humdrum trilogy just so Disney could cynically reboot and make $$$ off the public. Come back George Lucas, all is forgiven.