• Total voters

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
According to rotten tomatoes it got an 50% critic 80% viewer. Over the last couple years I've noticed a real divide forming between critics and audiences. I like Bright, critics did not, I hated TLJ, critics loved it, I loved The Hunt, critics puked all over it. Same thing with Run.Hide.Fight which I loved. With that in mind I thought I'd give it a gamble since I love anything marvel, hell I enjoyed Black Widow overall. No bueno on this one.
You're not alone in this regard, and that is nothing new. Everyone experiences this feeling at some point. There are plenty of movies I liked and the critics or audience were the opposite and vice-versa. Sometimes both.

Wait, didn't Bright have a mixed reception on both ends? I chose not to watch it, because the film was just another "Superman, but evil!" story we've all seen a million times already. I am still not interested in the slightest. I got Bright confused with Brightburn. Bright is loved by audiences and hated by critics, so you are part of that dissonance on the love it side.

The Hunt did great with audiences, and the only reasons critics hate it so much is because of the Purge movies. Most of which that are better than The Hunt. I don't hate The Hunt, but it's just fine.

Side Note: For me, Atomic Blonde is the best Black Widow movie ever made.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
This is the sequel to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

This sentimental shit is the sequel to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

The special effects look more dated, despite being sixteen years younger. Every time an object travels through space in front of a ship or the monolith or whatever, there is a square around that tracks along with it. The worst thing about it is that it doesn't give you much truly new. I hoped for new mysteries, but most of what I got was just retracing the original. That made it feel like such a grand waste of time. It's not thematically intelligent and whatever the aliens or god was in the original becomes less ominous. Worse than I expected. At least my curiosity is finally fulfilled.

2/5

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

This sentimental shit is the sequel to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

The special effects look more dated, despite being sixteen years younger. Every time an object travels through space in front of a ship or the monolith or whatever, there is a square around that tracks along with it. The worst thing about it is that it doesn't give you much truly new. I hoped for new mysteries, but most of what I got was just retracing the original. That made it feel like such a grand waste of time. It's not thematically intelligent and whatever the aliens or god was in the original becomes less ominous. Worse than I expected. At least my curiosity is finally fulfilled.

2/5
The weird thing is that it's not that much different then the book it's based on (and also written by Clarke) on paper. However, it definitely got the big hollywood treatment and the cold war thing was played up a LOT, which dated it a ton.

Notably in the book there's a Chinese Spacecraft that lands on Europa and gets destroyed by an alien squid thing that lived in the Europan Ocean. The surviving astronaut(cosmonaut?), who is now stranded on the planet with no way home, spends his last hours broadcasting this and while the orbiting Russian/American crew are able to hear him, they're unable to rescue him due to not having a landing craft. This was cut from the movie entirely.

Last edited:

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Free Guy

It was fine if you turn your brain off. Technically it works. Its not uncommon for developers to leave old content around though its pretty rare these days for AAA developer to leave a POC in in order to reuse a particular bit of code. Then again, funny story a large company I do not work for had a dev team who left chunks of copy/pasted GitHub code which even included credits in something they nearly pushed out to production until one of peer reviews caught it and lit them up for it.

I think its biggest flaw is how forgettable it is. Because it utilizes Reynolds more subtle expressive comedy rather than his impish prankster persona, he's not really required, a lot of people could have filled this one in. I think it would have actually benefited more from a far more intense zanier skew. Theres a cameo from Channing Tatum playing a more Seth Rogen version of this films protagonist thats funnier than the rest of the film combined and leaves you thinking "why isnt the whole movie like this?", ironically with that and the obnoxious streamer cameos this probably would have done gangbusters with zoomers instead of being an inoffensive weekend rental comedy.

Lamb 2021

ohno2.gif

Cannot recommend.

You're not alone in this regard, and that is nothing new. Everyone experiences this feeling at some point. There are plenty of movies I liked and the critics or audience were the opposite and vice-versa. Sometimes both.

Wait, didn't Bright have a mixed reception on both ends? I chose not to watch it, because the film was just another "Superman, but evil!" story we've all seen a million times already. I am still not interested in the slightest. I got Bright confused with Brightburn. Bright us loved by audiences and hated by critics, so you are part of that dissonance on the love it side.

The Hunt did great with audiences, and the only reasons critics hate it so much is because of the Purge movies. Most of which that are better than The Hunt. I don't hate The Hunt, but it's just fine.

Side Note: For me, Atomic Blonde is the best Black Widow movie ever made.

I actually didn't realize critics had such a hate on for brightburn. Brightburn is one where I think can agree it kind of leaves you wanting like it gives you a taste of evil Superman then dumps you with a cliffhanger ending but at the same time I enjoyed what it did deliver.

Idk, I remember the news cycle losing their shit over The Hunt and moviebob being angry about it. I love it, but I'm kind of a middle of the road leftist in that I do not believe you can shame people from behind a wall and expect them to change. I also think you shouldn't make assumptions about people. I know a lot of deplorables who are only deplorables because people tell them they are and so they just lean into it. However, I think most leftist film critics are just as ignorant and refuse to acknowledge that politics has grey areas and already hate non-artsy horror so the movie just couldn't win with anybody.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I actually didn't realize critics had such a hate on for brightburn. Brightburn is one where I think can agree it kind of leaves you wanting like it gives you a taste of evil Superman then dumps you with a cliffhanger ending but at the same time I enjoyed what it did deliver.
They didn't, but reception was average all around. Like I said before, "Superman, but EEEVVVVVVIIILLLL" has been done to death. Thought I have 0 interests in watching.

Idk, I remember the news cycle losing their shit over The Hunt and moviebob being angry about it. I love it, but I'm kind of a middle of the road leftist in that I do not believe you can shame people from behind a wall and expect them to change. I also think you shouldn't make assumptions about people. I know a lot of deplorables who are only deplorables because people tell them they are and so they just lean into it. However, I think most leftist film critics are just as ignorant and refuse to acknowledge that politics has grey areas and already hate non-artsy horror so the movie just couldn't win with anybody.
MB hating The Hunt I am not surprised in the slightest. He's a blind fanboy of The Purge movies, so that explains everything. I didn't follow the news cycle for The Hunt, aside from it being pushed back due to another public shooting. I have no patience for reactionary news and everything being done on "feelings and agenda". Exactly why I don't follow that shit. I do know most film critics don't like it. The only ones I know that enjoyed the movie are Outlaw Vern and Double Toasted. Those guys are usually pretty cool, even if you agree or disagree.

As far as film critics go, it does not matter what political spectrum they're on, most I don't like nor care for, because they have their head up their ass. Don't get me started on the critics that go far and out of their way insult others for liking/disliking a film. That shit got real bad with people like MB, Channel Awesome (a lot of them suffered from this and some still do so)/Nostalgia Critc, and certain other indviduals not worth typing at this moment.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Free Guy

It was fine if you turn your brain off. Technically it works. Its not uncommon for developers to leave old content around though its pretty rare these days for AAA developer to leave a POC in in order to reuse a particular bit of code. Then again, funny story a large company I do not work for had a dev team who left chunks of copy/pasted GitHub code which even included credits in something they nearly pushed out to production until one of peer reviews caught it and lit them up for it.

I think its biggest flaw is how forgettable it is. Because it utilizes Reynolds more subtle expressive comedy rather than his impish prankster persona, he's not really required, a lot of people could have filled this one in. I think it would have actually benefited more from a far more intense zanier skew. Theres a cameo from Channing Tatum playing a more Seth Rogen version of this films protagonist thats funnier than the rest of the film combined and leaves you thinking "why isnt the whole movie like this?", ironically with that and the obnoxious streamer cameos this probably would have done gangbusters with zoomers instead of being an inoffensive weekend rental comedy.
it's forgettable and one those movies that will not age well and has already become dated.

Lamb 2021

ohno2.gif

Cannot recommend.
That's pretty much an art house movie. It's an A24 production, either you are on board or your not. That is how it works for all of their films. I have not seen any of their movies, so I am whatever. Funny enough, that reaction you posted is how I felt about Splice.

Never again!

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Why Won't You Just Die (All 4?)
A Russian black comedy about some average wastrel boyfriend being convinced to kill his girlfriend's corrupt cop father who looks suspiciously like Eastenders' Phil Mitchell, which was a bit of an adjustment at first as I wasn't sure what vibe it was going for. After finishing it though, I can safely assume it's more like an adult graphic novel adaption, with emphasis of the word "graphic" as it seeks to exaggerate blood, gore and action, which I suppose is part of the joke even if it never made me laugh. But comedies are difficult for me, unless they are jet black witticisms and surprises. There was one chuckle to do with mistaking a blank bit of paper for someone's suicide note in front of their bereaved family member, but the rest is more violent slapstick I suppose. It's ok overall. The cast, whacky hijinks and direction does enough to get by.

Those Who Wish Me Dead (NowTv)
Taken about 3 attempts to finish this, even though there's not really any particular element I can single out as being bad. It's Taylor Sheridan directed, got actors like your Jon Bernthals, your Angelina Jolies, Nicholas Hoults, Medina Senghores and Tyler Perrys etc. Something to do with a guy and his kid being hunted by the feds as they got evidence of corruption, but throw in some forest fires, lightening storms and a pretty unconvincing forest firefighter role for Jolie for good measure. Perhaps it's the poor quality of the streaming service that seemed to dip to awful resolutions, or that the plot felt like 100 movies before it, perhaps it's ADHD, perhaps it's depression or even the looming existential crisis of our climate dismantling in the chase for infinite growth and wealth hoarding, either way it was more difficult to concentrate on this film than usual. Despite that, I have a feeling others will probably get more out of it than me, as it doesn't do anything specifically wrong much. Eh!

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Satanic Panic (2019)

Did I really decide to watch this? It's about a female busker who accidentally stumbles upon a Satanic cult amongst rich people whilst doing her pizza delivery day job. It's a horror comedy where just about everything - the horror, the comedy, the acting, the plot - is a bit second rate. I would say in its defence, however, that it has enough pizazz and the carefree joy of a B-movie to pass muster as entertaining. I wouldn't go out of your way to watch it, but there are definitely worse things to do with your time.

Doctor Sleep (2019)

The further adventures of Danny Torrence from The Shining. He's all grown up, and has found living with his gift (curse?) rather difficult. He is however putting his life back together, when he is contacted by a girl also gifted, with visions of a scary bunch of people abusing their powers, and he sets out to help her. I guess one of the things I like about The Shining is it barely explains anything, and that's part of its mysterious discomforting majesty. Doctor Sleep sets out to make sure you know what's happening. It's not particularly horrible, scary or anything. I think the girl is a little too precocious, and whilst it humanises a lot of the protagonists and antagonists more than you might expect, it's not particularly strong either. It's got good performances, and generally does the job, but never really succeeds in any great way either.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
The Suicide Squad (6/10)

Well this was a letdown.

I mean, maybe it's my own fault - people, including on this forum, were saying it's the best thing in the history of ever, but having read it...sorry guys, I'm not sold. Frankly, I don't think it's that much better than the first Suicide Squad, and if ranking the DCEU as a whole, it would probably take the #7 place.

Anyway, random thoughts:

-Rick Flag's character arc in this movie either makes no sense, or is short-served, depending on how you view things. This is a guy that Amanda Waller sends to die (if he's the leader of Task Force X, shouldn't he be with Bloodsport's team, not on the decoy assault?), but beyond that, he snaps when realizing what Project Starfish is. So, let me check...he's fine with all the shit Waller pulls in Suicide Squad (which includes shooting FBI agents, and causing the destruction of a city and multiple deaths of innocents), but when he's confronted with this, THAT'S what gets him to snap? I'm not saying his reaction is wrong in isolation, but Flag feels like a completely different character here. That, or we're missing a chunk of character development.

-Similarly, Bloodsport. Watching this, I have no idea why he isn't Deadshot. Even recasting Elba as Deadshot would have worked better. Because it's not just that both of them have daughter issues, it's that Bloodsport is established as knowing Flag before being recruited, as explained by a one-off line describing a mission to "Qurac." If he was Deadshot, and this built off the first film, this would work. Here, any hint of a prior history is simultaniously brushed aside, or undercut. Deadshot shooting Peacemaker to avenge Flag? Good writing. Bloodsport doing it? Not nearly as impactful, even if you factor in saving Cleo.

-That's generally a criticism that can apply to most characters in the film - they're either underdeveloped, or don't feel like their alternate selves. As another example, Amanda Waller is grossly incompetent, and yeah, sure, that's a running theme/gag in the film, that Task Force X/ARGUS is terrible at what it does (if you want, you can read that as political commentary, of US forces going in guns shooting, to the point that they even kill friendly rebels), but from the in-universe standpoint, well, the first film showed that Waller was over her head, here, she's terrible at what she does.

But even then, it's not just the US guys that are terrible at their jobs, the Colto Maltese aren't much better. The president is an idiot, and makes comments on Harley that make no sense (she's a symbol of anti-US sentiment, despite the fact that she worked for them in Midway City, and I'm skeptical that her time in Gotham would get overseas attention).

-Speaking of other characters, I don't get the affection for King Shark. He has some funny moments, sure, but he's invincible. He's pretty much the group's Hulk, able to stand numerous gunshots and still be standing. So when your character's invincible, it does take away some of the tension. Still, Ratcatcher 2 is a cutie, I guess.

-Speaking of the first film, this one relies on music tracks a lot, and to be frank, little of it is welcome. I don't know why the first film gets flak for that while the second one doesn't.

-I'll give the movie some credit - there's some funny lines, and the directorial style is nice, at times, such as when objects in-universe are used as subtitles, but on the other, the final fight at the end feels really off in how it's paced and edited.

So, yeah. The movie's okay, but that's really all it is - okay. It's an okay action movie. But I can't for the life of me understand its popularity. Looking at similar works, Gunn's GoTG films are better, and again, I don't think it's that much better than the first Suicide Squad movie, and if anything, its links to the first, however tenuous, work against it.

Edit: Oh, and Peter Capaldi playing a mad doctor who confronts an intergalactic space monster...gee, subtle. :p

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Batman Vs Superman: Dawn of Justice - Ultimate edition (AKA the one with more nudity and blood)

(paid for it on Google Play)

Verdict: I liked it for what it was but it's clearly rough round the edges.

So the film a lot of people really didn't like and I can see why, this isn't a kids superhero film it's also a very Zack Snyder film: so muted colour palette; somewhat more adult tone; trying to ask deeper questions but kinda not being the normal thoughtful approach to such films where they play out very contemplatively. It's also 2 hours of set up for a fight that really is kinda over in 30 minutes then you get the 2nd fight where they all join up vs a villain.

If I had to frame it as anything it would be Zack Snyder doing The Good Person of Szechwan but with Superheros and coming in with a more definitive answer of "The only reason we don't see good people as good is because of the actions of evil".

I've not seen the regular version but reading about it, man the 30 - 40 minutes of extra footage really make a difference apparently. Also to be clear when I say nudity I should clarify while the regular version apparently had Lois nearly nude on screen the Ultimate edition had Clarke strip off and join here and a nude Batman showing shot from behind so if you want to see Ben Affleck's butt now you can.

What I liked :

• The idea of bringing up the different styles of being a hero and how they somewhat clashed with one another between Batman and Superman
  • Bruce Wayne getting stuff done rather than just doing stuff only as Batman
  • The little bits that show Bruce is still trying to keep up appearances somewhat as a playboy bachelor.
  • Alfred being a pretty vital part of Batman being able to be Batman
  • Luthor being evil and one step ahead most of the time, just truly playing people like chess pieces.
  • The actual fight vs Doomsday with it concluding better and differently than Death of Superman so it doesn't end with "And then they punched one another so hard they both died"

What I didn't like so much :

• I feel like they needed to do a bit more to justify Batman wanting to take this fight, like I get the whole playing on his not great mental state but Batman took the fight because he failed to stop a bombing which only was able to happen due to Superman's fight with Zod causing collateral damage and he blames Superman for it. I dunno I felt like they needed to do something more and have a moment of Superman being missing and something happening where Superman didn't save people so Batman could be all "How can he choose who lives and who dies so callously"
  • The Mad version of Lex. Like I really didn't like this version of Lex whose playing more like the Joker than Lex. If Snyder had gone "This isn't Lex Luthor but his son" I'd have gone with it more as Lex's son in various incarnations is shown to be more unhinged but this was Lex they either didn't make it clear enough that it was Lex's son or if it was Lex with it seemingly trying to present this as actually Lex by bringing up how bad his father was.

Conclusion thingy:

This ain't Marvel, Zack Snyder was clearly going for something that made the DC films stand out as different to Marvel and so I can see why people who wanted a Marvel style film with DC characters would be disappointed. But considering this was basically 2 comic book stories smushed together with bits of other stories added in too it lands very well considering it's basically a plane cobbled together out of bits of other planes. Does it exactly achieve the rather grand exploration of ideas it seemed to be going for? Not fully but it tried and I have to give it credit for trying.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Just got back from Ghostbusters. Best movie I've seen all year, no question. This movie was everything I wanted it to be. Charming, nostalgic, ready to grow the story rather than replace, next generation passing of the torch but also being respectful of the original. Just all around a great movie.
Mckenna Grace as Phoebe I was not prepared to like. I though the trailers made her seem to be the joke Ghostbusters fangirl. She steals every scene she's in and the entire movie. She is adorable. She is charming, her character is fun, you want to like her and the movie is really her story. She and Egon Spangler are the real stars of this movie, and she does an amazing job with no-dialogue scenes of her and her grandfather figuring it out, all set to the classic Ghostbutster soundtrack.
Like no joke I can't overstate how much I enjoyed this movie, and Im a fucking grouch. This was a delight and I will recommend it, 9/10, the fuck is Paul Rudd doing here?!

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Children of Men: What The Hell / Great

In a dystopian future where humans can no longer procreate, some things happen.

Maybe I'm getting dumber in my old age, or maybe the alcohol has permanently caught up with my cognitive abilities, but Jesus Christ, this film was impossible to follow. Well acted, but what they were acting about, I haven't a clue. They throw so much at you constantly, you don't know which threads to follow, and by the time you can catch up, the film's going 190 mph. If pretentiousness was a film, this is it. It really is all about itself. It drops you in the middle, drags you to the end, then tosses you off the edge like it's done you a favor.

1637598892981.png

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Children of Men: What The Hell / Great

In a dystopian future where humans can no longer procreate, some things happen.

Maybe I'm getting dumber in my old age, or maybe the alcohol has permanently caught up with my cognitive abilities, but Jesus Christ, this film was impossible to follow. Well acted, but what they were acting about, I haven't a clue. They throw so much at you constantly, you don't know which threads to follow, and by the time you can catch up, the film's going 190 mph. If pretentiousness was a film, this is it. It really is all about itself. It drops you in the middle, drags you to the end, then tosses you off the edge like it's done you a favor.

View attachment 4961
I never cared much for this movie and only saw it twice in my life. I have no need to watch it again.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Dune(2021)

Mostly liked it. It hit all the relevant plot points of the book up to the point it stops while generally having decent worldbuilding(which honestly is hard with a story like this). I occasionally joked about Paul listening to Exposition radio but it worked well enough for it's purpose. The SFX looked really nice and I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to watch the original movie the same way again(then again, half the charm of the original film is it's ham and cheese, not in it's serious devotion to the material).

The meleecombat is a bit messy and not particularly interesting to watch(and I found it amusing how the force fields are nice enough to tell you when they've been breached or not with their red/blue light). I did like how the Sardaukar come across a warrior cult and not these weirdos wearing trash bags from the 1980's film. I did notice they really mentioned the whole "Hitting shields with lasers creates nuclear explosion" bit which explains why they use Melee so much. I also enjoyed the new Orithropers in action and the weird spider thing was a nice nod to the IXians(I've heard theories that's what's left of Yueh's wife but I don't think they'll ever bring it up again).

Generally liked the movies version of Dr. Kynes though was wondering for a bit how they were gonna handle her going off to tell the Landsraad what happened(and then the movie solved that problem for us). Every time I say Zendaya I thought "And here's your 7 minutes of Zendaya to remind you she's in this movie". I can't really tell if she's a good actor or not because she doesn't do much while she's onscreen, it's mostly just her onscreen for a minute or so and I've never seen her in anything else(I had to look up who she was because people kept talking about her and I'd never heard of her before).

I also found it interesting in the last scene where everyone was wearing their stillsuit masks except the big names, despite them wearing masks before, to the point I said out loud "Masks on, people!" On a related note, while thufir having a parasol looked silly, I realized since nobody else is wearing even a hat or helmet or head covering in the hot miday sun, it makes Thufer look a lot smarter and more practical than the rest of them.

My big gripe was that I wasn't sure when it was gonna end, honestly. I knew it was gonna cut off after the big betrayal and the fall of house Atreides but I kept expecting it to reach a natural stopping point, but it kept going a couple times. Finally when they met the Fremen I figured"Ok, they met the Fremen, the movie can end now" except then they did the knife fight out in the open, because fuck conserving water by doing this inside. AND then it ends, once Zendaya gets to tell Paul "It begins". So yeah.

Overall, a good foundation for the next film, a good film in it's own right with only a few flaws.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawki

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
The Matrix

4K is better than the old Blu-ray, but switching from blue to green and back is disappointing. Reloaded and Revolutions' restorations are better. I hate director and cinematographer approvals of restorations apparently being included in contracts. Seems like we get more misses than slam dunks when those people have to be involved. I would say the majority of movies whose directors and cinematographers are dead get good remasters. Other times, director and DoP requirements mean we never get remasters, because they don't want to ever take the time. If I were the head of a studio I would do everything in my power to exclude that from contracts, short of making the director and cinematographer not want to be involved with the filming of the movie at all.

2018 Bill Pope couldn't even decide the color of Morpheus' shirt.

Neo's neck is purple there too.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
C.H.U.D. (1984)

Scrappy B-movie horror about mutants in New York sewers. It's got John Heard and Daniel Stern in early career mode - both went on to much better things. I think this is a little bit too cheap and iffy to get enthused about: late night fare for when you're too frazzled or drunk to care, and deeply underwhelming any other time. It makes some sort of stabs about crappy government and exploitative business practices, but thankfully never lets them get too deep and significantly distract from the low budget action.

Reactions: BrawlMan