• Total voters

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
The Lion King, 9/10

Meaning the original 1994 version, but I think it'd be best that we didn't even make that distinction. That studio hack piece of garbage from 2019 doesn't even deserve to be acknowledged to exist.

Believe it or not, I'd never actually seen this from start to finish before. I'd seen pretty much all the important beats from clips and such, so there wasn't necessarily anything to discover that I already didn't know. But experiencing it as a whole was certainly new to me. And yeah, it's possibly the most famous animated movie of all time for a reason. All the elements come together perfectly for maximum impact in almost every scene. Even though I already knew it, the score was still the standout here. Man, Hans Zimmer really peaked in the 90s didn't he? I don't even know if I need to say what's good about it: everybody already knows. That said, the stampede scene is still absolutely stunning, and Simba's mourning for Mufasa genuinely legendary. Even Timon and Pumba turned out not to be just the usual Disney comedic sidekicks, but vitally important to the themes of the story.

The curious bits were the things that faltered a bit. Despite his pivotal role in the story, Rafiki is little more than a random insert character for well over half the movie, and it's a little jarring. Like when past the opening scene the next time he shows up is when Simba is declared dead, which is like half an hour in. The movie also struggles to hit the insane emotional high of Mufasa's death in the second half, which makes the movie feel frontloaded with its strengths. The pacing in the final climax is maybe a touch too fast. But beyond those it's deservedly a legend-status classic.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
The Lion King, 9/10

Meaning the original 1994 version, but I think it'd be best that we didn't even make that distinction. That studio hack piece of garbage from 2019 doesn't even deserve to be acknowledged to exist.

Believe it or not, I'd never actually seen this from start to finish before. I'd seen pretty much all the important beats from clips and such, so there wasn't necessarily anything to discover that I already didn't know. But experiencing it as a whole was certainly new to me. And yeah, it's possibly the most famous animated movie of all time for a reason. All the elements come together perfectly for maximum impact in almost every scene. Even though I already knew it, the score was still the standout here. Man, Hans Zimmer really peaked in the 90s didn't he? I don't even know if I need to say what's good about it: everybody already knows. That said, the stampede scene is still absolutely stunning, and Simba's mourning for Mufasa genuinely legendary. Even Timon and Pumba turned out not to be just the usual Disney comedic sidekicks, but vitally important to the themes of the story.

The curious bits were the things that faltered a bit. Despite his pivotal role in the story, Rafiki is little more than a random insert character for well over half the movie, and it's a little jarring. Like when past the opening scene the next time he shows up is when Simba is declared dead, which is like half an hour in. The movie also struggles to hit the insane emotional high of Mufasa's death in the second half, which makes the movie feel frontloaded with its strengths. The pacing in the final climax is maybe a touch too fast. But beyond those it's deservedly a legend-status classic.
Uncultured Amateurs. Clearly the superior version is The Lion King of Judah

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
🤔

Wait. Almost forgot!

Candyman - (Prime)
Pretty good yup. Nice intro credits scene too, simple but effective use of perspective and audio to cultivate a haunting urban vibe. Seriously though, if your arm starts to look that bad a day after a mere bee sting, I don't care how bad the healthcare system is, get that shit seen to, mate!

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Spider-Man: No Way Home: Dumb / Great

And I mean "dumb" in the kindest of senses. It's as if someone said "we haven't made a Spider-Man movie in 14 minutes, let's throw one together real quick." Doing it for doing it's sake. They gathered all the Spider-MEN from the last 20 years for an all-skate. It was fun if entirely nonsensical. Won't watch it again; that was a one-night stand of ever there was one.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Spider-Man: No Way Home: Dumb / Great

And I mean "dumb" in the kindest of senses. It's as if someone said "we haven't made a Spider-Man movie in 14 minutes, let's throw one together real quick." Doing it for doing it's sake. They gathered all the Spider-MEN from the last 20 years for an all-skate. It was fun if entirely nonsensical. Won't watch it again; that was a one-night stand of ever there was one.
It is really is hard to watch this movie again without skipping past maybe the first hour. After that, it's totally carried by all the actors involved.

It'll probably a big source of content for those YouTube channels that just post movie clips, and I'll probably being going on binges of those clips a few times a year from now on.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
It is really is hard to watch this movie again without skipping past maybe the first hour. After that, it's totally carried by all the actors involved.

It'll probably a big source of content for those YouTube channels that just post movie clips, and I'll probably being going on binges of those clips a few times a year from now on.
As a Spider-Man fan since childhood, and the adult that "turnt up" on day one, clad in Spider-Man gear (much to the embarrassment of my ex and her best friend who I dragged to the theater with me) to see the 2002 film that arguably kicked off the still-going craze of superhero movies, I liked seeing Macguire in the costume again, but if "pointless fan service" was a movie, No Way Home is it. I was smiling the whole time, but behind the grin, I was saying to myself "this is absolute nonsense and stupid." It feels like Hollywood has figured out they can get away with anything if they slap "Marvel" in the advertising. It wasn't the worst thing I've seen, and certainly was a lot of fun, but it was fast food: edible, but bad for you in every other way.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I felt like gracing something probably mediocre with my attention, so I decided on checking out this movie on Disney+ Star called Crush. It looked like one of those fucking horrendous Netflix teen movies, but it was R-rated so I figured this would... I don't know, maybe give some entertaining edge at least.

Fuck, is this fucking movie gargantuanly fucking garbage. If this is the new stadard for teen movies, God have mercy on all of us.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Fuck, is this fucking movie gargantuanly fucking garbage. If this is the new stadard for teen movies, God have mercy on all of us.
Unless you're a teen yourself, then God have mercy on teenagers while we adults make better choices. That said, most teenagers nowadays are massive pieces of shit in every way save the literal definition, so they get what they deserve. (Sorry, I live with a 17-year-old, and when his friends come around, it's all I can do NOT to make the evening news with the violence I fantasize. I generally wouldn't hurt a fly, but a fly has never talked back with the confidence of a grown man despite having no means of independence whatsoever.)

Reactions: Casual Shinji

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Nightwish: End of an Era

She's got nice teeth. No fillings.

104 minutes. 1280x720 BD. Picture quality was bad, but I stopped thinking about it as I was watching. Never watched them perform. Had a good time. Guessing the title means the last of Tarja. Don't know what year she left without looking it up. I don't listen to their later stuff. Just doesn't have that operatic quality without her.
Learned this was the last concert with Tarja. After the show, they gave her a letter to be opened the next day, which they also published on their website, informing her that she was out.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060410185248/http://nightwish.com/en/article/6

Strange to find out that she was so unpleasant to work with and had those feelings about the band, because she seemed happy on stage.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Lockout (2012)

It's Escape From New York in space! Guy Pearce plays Snake Snow: a cocky, cynical CIA agent who is double-crossed, and facing prison decides instead to rescue the US president's daughter from a maximum security orbital penal colony where the prisoners have escaped and taken over.

Guy Pearce is very watchable and the action is okay, but this is not a great work of art. It is heavily cliched, and very ordinary. In a deeply misconceived move, one of the first things the movie does is tell you how low the budget was with a motorbike chase that is right up there as the worst CGI I have ever seen. Plot holes then abound like crazy (spoilers). This "maximum security" penal base is evidently completely insecure, and staffed with the most hopelessly inadequate personnel imaginable. A prisoner breaks free due to the incompetence of a heavy-handed goon, and then just wanders straight into the central control room where a wimpy tech lets him release all the prisoners. To say this is jaw-droppingly implausible is an understatement. This initial prisoner then wreaks havoc even with the prison riot: the guy who takes over as leader of the prisoners is his brother, and knowing what a crazed loon his brother is, surely would not have given him anything like as much rope to wreck all his plans. And there's plenty more painfully wrong, too. So, if you can thoroughly turn your brain off, this isn't the worst action film you will ever see. But it has a wide range of unforced errors that sink well into the territory of underwhelming.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Lockout (2012)

It's Escape From New York in space! Guy Pearce plays Snake Snow: a cocky, cynical CIA agent who is double-crossed, and facing prison decides instead to rescue the US president's daughter from a maximum security orbital penal colony where the prisoners have escaped and taken over.

Guy Pearce is very watchable and the action is okay, but this is not a great work of art. It is heavily cliched, and very ordinary. In a deeply misconceived move, one of the first things the movie does is tell you how low the budget was with a motorbike chase that is right up there as the worst CGI I have ever seen. Plot holes then abound like crazy (spoilers). This "maximum security" penal base is evidently completely insecure, and staffed with the most hopelessly inadequate personnel imaginable. A prisoner breaks free due to the incompetence of a heavy-handed goon, and then just wanders straight into the central control room where a wimpy tech lets him release all the prisoners. To say this is jaw-droppingly implausible is an understatement. This initial prisoner then wreaks havoc even with the prison riot: the guy who takes over as leader of the prisoners is his brother, and knowing what a crazed loon his brother is, surely would not have given him anything like as much rope to wreck all his plans. And there's plenty more painfully wrong, too. So, if you can thoroughly turn your brain off, this isn't the worst action film you will ever see. But it has a wide range of unforced errors that sink well into the territory of underwhelming.
I tried to like this movie, but couldn't. On a first watch it was okay, but on a second I immediately disliked it. What doesn't happen that the action is just average and not that good. It doesn't help is that 2 years later, The Purge: Anarchy, and it's following sequels, ended up being a better Escape From New York movies than Lockout. Way less stupid income drive, and characters that actually make reasonable or smart decisions that actually makes sense. I used to have the Lockout on DVD and got it at a cheap price, but sold it years ago.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The Lion King, 9/10

I liked it the first time I watched it, but not after the 100th time. My niece was 3 when it came out, and made us watch it multiple times a day for months. That and Beauty and the Beast. I was the only 14-year-old boy running around my high school with Disney songs knocking around in my head all day. I think it's why I don't like Disney movies to this day. I don't hate them, but I don't watch them willingly.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Singin' in the Rain

Third time in five to six years. While it's fun to see the piss taken out of Hollywood so long ago, I can't help but find the genius but simple plot dragged out as an excuse to show fancy musical numbers that aren't that related to the story. Takes it as far as fantasy within a long fantasy.

My estimation of it sank slightly.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I liked it the first time I watched it, but not after the 100th time. My niece was 3 when it came out, and made us watch it multiple times a day for months. That and Beauty and the Beast. I was the only 14-year-old boy running around my high school with Disney songs knocking around in my head all day. I think it's why I don't like Disney movies to this day. I don't hate them, but I don't watch them willingly.
Most Disney films I don't have a problem watching, but a majority of them I have seen so many times, that they don't do much for me at this point. I'll never watch Little Mermaid again. A majority of that movie is having a pine cone shoved up my ass. I'm only there for three things: Sebastian, Flounder, and the song "Poor, Unfortunate, Soul". Beauty and The Beast I will only watch for the songs about Gaston, and "Kill The Beast". The only thing I'll watch from Pocahontas is the song "Savages".

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Most Disney films I don't have a problem watching, but a majority of them I have seen so many times, that they don't do much for me at this point. I'll never watch Little Mermaid again. A majority at movies having a pine cone shoved up my ass. I'm only there for three things: Sebastian, Flounder, and the song "Poor, Unfortunate, Soul". Beauty and The Beast I will only watch for the songs about Gaston, and "Kill The Beast". The only thing I'll watch from Pocahontas is the song "Savages".
None of the classic movies do anything for me anymore, and as I'm in my 40s, none of the new stuff has any appeal either. I prefer not having any strong opinion; let the kids of today have their future classics, and leave the classics of my youth peacefully in the past. Musical cartoons are simply silly to me anymore. I will give any animated movies without songs a shot, though. Bad Guys looks interesting, for instance.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Lockout (2012)

Oh I remember that film. Guy Pierce shows off his newfound action star guns while given the mission of rescuing the president's daughter from horny space convicts or some shit. He even had cringy "badass hero" retorts omg, it's all coming back to me! Damn you!

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Dr Strange 2

I haven't seen the trailer so I don't know how much I'm spoiling simply by describing the plot (which is incredibly vague going by the Wikipedia premise), so I won't. I like that the powers that be apparently let Raimi actually make the movie, going by all the twisting angles and chasy cameras and general over-the-topness which includes, by my count, the only body horror these movies have registered so far. The whole movie is ridiculous and I can't think of anybody better than Raimi to helm it, since he's great at straddling that line.

There's a whole lot of cameos and stunt casting that had the fat fucks behind me creaming their pants, so the movie's gonna work wonderfully for that crowd and will be great fodder for Things That You Missed clickbait.

Couple of things that did nothing for me:

1) The effects are very wobbly in quality, somewhere between ok and Spy Kids. The creativity of the set pieces far outweighs their realism or believability.

2) America Chavez is kinda meh, more plot device than character. No hate on the actress but she really isn't given much to do. And all that buzz about acknowledging her as a member of LbGT was bullshit in the end. She has two moms for all of 16 seconds and wears a pride pin. That's it.

3) This annoyed me about Shang Chi and it comes up once more here: that Marvel insists on having Lord of the Rings style battles with swords and bows that rarely cut or hit anything, where no sane person would turn down an actual gun. You're trying to kill the thing anyway, why handicap yourself with medieval terms of engagement?

4) They're really getting lazy with the mid-credits scenes. This and Eternals are major low effort teasers and seem to be more about who they hired than what's gonna happen next.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Musical cartoons are simply silly to me anymore.
The only musical cartoons I can watch in full, Disney or not are:
  • Lion King
  • Princess and the Frog
  • Tangled - Though that one does not have that many songs, if I remember correctly.
  • Cat's Don't Dance - a majority of those songs kick ass!
  • Hunchback of Nortre Dame - I could have gone without the gargoyles singing. That whole sequence could have been axed.
  • Both Goofy movies. Then again, the second movie is not really a musical aside from one song.
  • Mulan
That is all I got.

Last edited:

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Some more observartions about Dr Strange 2.

+ Sam Raimi's eye scream horror remains top of the line, along with his penchant for torturing his main characters.
+ Evil Dead and Darkman references galore.
+ Bruce Campbell.

- It's getting ridiculous that the 2 most high-profile female Avengers, Black Widow and Scarlet Witch, are defined by a desperate need for motherhood.
- Why is Michael Stuhlbarg in these movies? He plays a character with a Wikipedia entry, apparently, but 2 movies in he remains irrelevant.
- As much as I liked *that* scene, I couldnt' help feel that it was really just copying Invincible's homework. An effort to keep up with the trend maybe.

Last edited:

Ringo

Jul 12, 2007
Country
Canada
Singin' in the Rain

Third time in five to six years. While it's fun to see the piss taken out of Hollywood so long ago, I can't help but find the genius but simple plot dragged out as an excuse to show fancy musical numbers that aren't that related to the story. Takes it as far as fantasy within a long fantasy.

My estimation of it sank slightly.
I think the Broadway Melody number is better approached as a ballet, a phantasmagorical representation of the expressive potentials of film and dance. It's 100% Gene Kelly: An American in Paris ends similarly and a film he directed, Invitation to the Dance is basically nothing but that. It's dream as film. I do agree that it is out of step with the comic narrative, but I also think it's in conversation with some of the other numbers in the film, particularly "Make em Laugh" and "You Were Meant For Me", where the actual disassembled aspects of film craft are built into the routine. I think that it's built towards in a conceptual way rather than a way that prioritizes story or logic. So I agree with you, but I think it still works in its own way.

I actually like these more than numbers like "Moses Supposes" and "Good Morning", which are basically just the product of someone saying something and then they just launch into song and dance about that. I guess Good Morning is partly about creative collaboration, but there's nothing in the song or number that really builds off of that. I think they're easier to forgive because they're athletic and well choreographed dances. I still love watching them, but they feel more removed from the point of the film to me than Broadway Melody.

"Singin' in the Rain", the number, is still probably the high point of Hollywood cinema.

Reactions: Ezekiel