Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Thor - 9/10

I love these movies. They're goofy and silly and fun. And I love the whole aesthetic of Asgard. Really looking forward to Love and Thunder.

I do wish this version of this piece was on the soundtrack as well as the end credits version though.

Reactions: gorfias

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
3) This annoyed me about Shang Chi and it comes up once more here: that Marvel insists on having Lord of the Rings style battles with swords and bows that rarely cut or hit anything, where no sane person would turn down an actual gun. You're trying to kill the thing anyway, why handicap yourself with medieval terms of engagement?
But they're MAGIC swords and bows!!!

Kind of reminds me of how it's a shame Iron Fist never got a third season, because if it did, we'd had have Danny Rand dual wielding 1911s that shoot chi. Now that's what I want to see in the MCU, a man in a silly green and yellow suit mowing down ninjas with gun-kata.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
How about a MAGIC M60 machine gun.
You actually had me thinking of the Wakandan military, which is apparently composed purely of motherfuckers with essentially magic rocket launchers. Which is cool right up until you need to go against a mindless horde of baddies. Warmachine, with the superpower of "has lots of guns", was more effective on his own than the hundreds of soldiers present.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Dr Strange 2

I haven't seen the trailer so I don't know how much I'm spoiling simply by describing the plot (which is incredibly vague going by the Wikipedia premise), so I won't. I like that the powers that be apparently let Raimi actually make the movie, going by all the twisting angles and chasy cameras and general over-the-topness which includes, by my count, the only body horror these movies have registered so far. The whole movie is ridiculous and I can't think of anybody better than Raimi to helm it, since he's great at straddling that line.

There's a whole lot of cameos and stunt casting that had the fat fucks behind me creaming their pants, so the movie's gonna work wonderfully for that crowd and will be great fodder for Things That You Missed clickbait.

Couple of things that did nothing for me:

1) The effects are very wobbly in quality, somewhere between ok and Spy Kids. The creativity of the set pieces far outweighs their realism or believability.

2) America Chavez is kinda meh, more plot device than character. No hate on the actress but she really isn't given much to do. And all that buzz about acknowledging her as a member of LbGT was bullshit in the end. She has two moms for all of 16 seconds and wears a pride pin. That's it.

3) This annoyed me about Shang Chi and it comes up once more here: that Marvel insists on having Lord of the Rings style battles with swords and bows that rarely cut or hit anything, where no sane person would turn down an actual gun. You're trying to kill the thing anyway, why handicap yourself with medieval terms of engagement?

4) They're really getting lazy with the mid-credits scenes. This and Eternals are major low effort teasers and seem to be more about who they hired than what's gonna happen next.
That sounds surprisingly fun. On one hand, I didn't expect them to let Raimi make a Raimi movie. On the other hand, his Spiderman movies are in many ways what the average MCU flick is trying to be.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The only musical cartoons I can watch in full, Disney or not are:
  • Lion King
  • Princess and the Frog
  • Tangled - Though that one does not have that many songs, if I remember correctly.
  • Cat's Don't Dance - a majority of those songs kick ass!
  • Hunchback of Nortre Dame - I could have gone without the gargoyles singing. That whole sequence could have been axed.
  • Both Goofy movies. Then again, the second movie is not really a musical aside from one song.
That is all I got.
Rock and Rule? Though, whether that's a musical cartoon or a cartoon about musicians is another question. They just happen to be furries and one of them wants to open a portal to hell for no real reason, which is a bit unusual.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Rock and Rule? Though, whether that's a musical cartoon or a cartoon about musicians is another question. They just happen to be furries and one of them wants to open a portal to hell for no real reason, which is a bit unusual.
Never seen it.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
The Batman
First half, because I literally fell asleep.
You know, I get that Batman is going to grumble in a monotone. But does everybody? Gordon, every cop, every criminal, freaking Catwoman, all talk like that? And the whole movie is at night, so I'm strainging and squinting and nothing interesting is happening and zzzzzzzzzzz

So I was reading a bit about this flick on the interwebs and everybody talking about how it's inspired by movies like Chinatown, Klute, The Pentagon Papers, Taxi Driver... I love those movies! And that somehow the portrayal of Bruce Wayne is inspired by Kurt Cobain... I love Nirvana!
But just smushing references and inspiration results in a bland goop of sort of nothing, which is what this felt like.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
The Northman
As a genre film it follows familiar beats, but it looks like a movie in which mysticism and a pretty insane idea of honor drives people forward. Or y'know... some of them. I got a lot of Ari Aster vibes (Hereditary, Midsommar) and wouldn't you know it, Aster's and Lars Knudsen's company Square Peg was among the producers. 8/10

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Oldboy (2003)

South Korean revenge thriller by Park Chan-Wook and one of the earlier korean productions to get widespread critical acclaim abroad. Which, I suppose, shouldn't surprise, it is a very attention grabbing flick. Oldboy is the story of businessman Oh Dae-Su who finds himself kidnapped and imprisoned in a small room for 15 years by unknown forces. Upon his release he vows to take revenge on whoever was resonsible for it, embarking on a blood soaked revenge mission. I don't think anyone will be surprised to find out that it's based on a manga.

No matter how foreign, critically acclaimed and well directed it is, make no mistake, Oldboy is an exploitation flick through and through. The violence is as crunchy as it gets, featuring an often referenced fight scene that delivers some real Hongkong shit. The justifications for it are about as contrived as you can get away with. The tone fluctuates between that of a particularly unhinged action comedy and a no less absurd urban thriller. Its plot twists are ridiculous to the point of being borderline nonsensical and prioritize shock value over even the flimsiest pretense of realism or logic. Oldboy also goes hard as hell.
One needs to let go of many conventional notions of what constitutes "good" writing when entering the strangely gleeful rollercoaster of violence and cruelty that is Oldboy. Park's snappy direction lends a sense of fluid momentum and practically pitch perfect (often comedic) timing to a story that revels in hyperviolent sleaze and manages to lend a kind of shakespearian grandeur to what, in lesser hands, would have been a B-movie at best. As does the performance of lead actor Choi Min-Sik who completely throws himself into the role of its PTSD ridden antihero. It's this combination of powerhouse direction and performance that allows Oldboy's story to have actual impact, no matter how little sense it makes. And make no mistake, I can't emphasize enough how absolutely bonkers it is for something that presents itself as a gritty thriller.
Hypnosis. Amnesia. Incest. Secret Prisons above Japanese restaurants. And yet, as the movie draws to an end and reveals its biggest plot twists, it genuinely left me shocked. The fact that this is, rightfully, remembered as a classic of korean cinema, rather than trashy asian curiosity speaks for the skill of everyone involved and much moreso, shows how much mileage there can be in a script that's by most definitions low brow and exploitative.
What Park saw in this story was, effectively, a modern, urban twist on the classic jacobean revenge play. Sir Peter Greenaway approached this type of story with his trademark hyper stylizised, painterly visual sensibility with "The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover", its surreal and highly theatrical staging leaving no doubt about how, despite its grisly subject matter, it's an arthouse production. Park let's the tragedy, in all its absurdity, play out on the grimy streets of a modern city as a brawny martial arts action flick. The jacobean revenge play as the ultimate dad movie, or the ultimate dad movie as a jacobean revenge play.

Oldboy is kind of amazing, honestly. Visceral, shocking, at times hilarious and at other times nauseating. Park directed his heart out to produce an exploitation masterpiece. This is the movie S. Craig Zahler wishes he could make.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
That sounds surprisingly fun. On one hand, I didn't expect them to let Raimi make a Raimi movie. On the other hand, his Spiderman movies are in many ways what the average MCU flick is trying to be.
I was surprised by how much leeway Raimi apparently had in designing the composition of the shots and the movement of the camera (the look not so much). There's the obvious second camera crew for the more grandiose standard issue Marvel brawls, but Raimi is clearly directing the movie around them. There's a lot of weird little pickups involving extras that reminded me of his Spider-Man movies. He sets up a lot of goofy but effective jump-scares. There's cameras behaving with a personality of their own and fourth-wall breaking and possessed characters contorting like Deadites and what looks to me like a clear homage to Darkman. And his love of torturing characters really shows here. You rarely see Marvel characters show any pain or fear (ACTUAL pain or fear, without trying to look cool or jaded about it) but here it's as over the top as those get. And again even for a relatively bloodless movie there's a lot of body horror straddling the line between gnarly and ridiculous.

The movie is a mess and doesn't have a clean-cut journey that structures any meaningful message or development around it. The villain's motivation is nonsense as usual, and the plucky teenager is a wash, and the whole exciting premise of a multiverse is wasted on Spy Kids-level of CGI and celebrity showboating. But Raimi made the best version of the movie possible and made it entertaining.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
The Northman
As a genre film it follows familiar beats, but it looks like a movie in which mysticism and a pretty insane idea of honor drives people forward. Or y'know... some of them. I got a lot of Ari Aster vibes (Hereditary, Midsommar) and wouldn't you know it, Aster's and Lars Knudsen's company Square Peg was among the producers. 8/10
This was the perfect movie for me to go see when my wife was out of town for a couple of days. Real dudebro type flick. I'm like "look honey, Viking movie!" and she's like "what's it about besides Vikings" and I'm like "who cares... Vikings!" which was not a selling point. Yeah, she'd have hated it. I dug it.
You know what's great about Egger's films- there is ZERO subtext, meta, irony, or meaning. It's just f'n badass shit. The Witch is about a Witch, the Lighthouse is about a lighthouse, the Northman is about a northman, and crazy shit happens, and it's intense and wonderful. Good stuff.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
The Good Guys - 7/10

A really solid kids movie that thematically is more subtle than Zootopia in its rather similar message and it's solid for kids but a bit too basic for adults, though there's plenty to entertain everyone. There's some pretty funny bits and lines, humorous but not very laugh out loud funny. I liked the animation style that is CGI but not super detailed (the fur isn't nearly as detailed as say Zootopia) so it has more of a cartoonish feel to it. The main song played during the climax is a jam, why are songs from a kid's movie so much better than probably anything currently on the top 40?

The Batman
First half, because I literally fell asleep.
You know, I get that Batman is going to grumble in a monotone. But does everybody? Gordon, every cop, every criminal, freaking Catwoman, all talk like that? And the whole movie is at night, so I'm strainging and squinting and nothing interesting is happening and zzzzzzzzzzz

So I was reading a bit about this flick on the interwebs and everybody talking about how it's inspired by movies like Chinatown, Klute, The Pentagon Papers, Taxi Driver... I love those movies! And that somehow the portrayal of Bruce Wayne is inspired by Kurt Cobain... I love Nirvana!
But just smushing references and inspiration results in a bland goop of sort of nothing, which is what this felt like.
It felt the same as Joker to me, all inspiration/reference, but no substance. Even the end felt like a teenager being like "wouldn't be so badass to end a Batman movie just like Tool's Aenima?"

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Goldfinger

Peak Bond. The movie checks all the marks: open with some mission wrapping up, provocative title sequence with a semi-naked lady, the MI6 trifecta (Bond gets berated by M, flirts with Moneypenny and gets on Q's nerves while collecting his gadgets), meet a villain obsessed about one particular thing and a badass henchman with a gimmick; introduce one or two Bond girls (first one always dies), get captured and tortured in a novel way, etc. The name's Bond (James Bond), takes his martinis shaken (not stirred) and he's finally quipping witty remarks whenever he kills someone. Coming from the more Hitchcockian Fom Russia With Love, this one is both a return to form (Dr. No was a milder version of this, slower and more uneven) as well as a blueprint for the rest of the movies to come, going all in on 60s slick sexy spy flick appeal (Dr. No feels more like a dull mad scientist movie from the 50s).

Having said all that... boy does Bond come across as a mysogynist in this movie. Dr. No and From Russia also treated Bond like a relentless stud too but at least he seemed to revere and enjoy the ladies with a bemused, this-is-all-a-dream detachment. In Goldfinger he flat out despises women, treating them as hurdles in the way of "man talk", carelessly getting two of them killed and essentially raping the third one. The worst part (well, maybe not the worst, but the irony stood out) is that raping Pussy Galore ends up being a crucial step into foiling Goldfinger, not that Bond planned it that way or that it makes any sense that it would work out that way either.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Goldfinger

Peak Bond. The movie checks all the marks: open with some mission wrapping up, provocative title sequence with a semi-naked lady, the MI6 trifecta (Bond gets berated by M, flirts with Moneypenny and gets on Q's nerves while collecting his gadgets), meet a villain obsessed about one particular thing and a badass henchman with a gimmick; introduce one or two Bond girls (first one always dies), get captured and tortured in a novel way, etc. The name's Bond (James Bond), takes his martinis shaken (not stirred) and he's finally quipping witty remarks whenever he kills someone. Coming from the more Hitchcockian Fom Russia With Love, this one is both a return to form (Dr. No was a milder version of this, slower and more uneven) as well as a blueprint for the rest of the movies to come, going all in on 60s slick sexy spy flick appeal (Dr. No feels more like a dull mad scientist movie from the 50s).

Having said all that... boy does Bond come across as a mysogynist in this movie. Dr. No and From Russia also treated Bond like a relentless stud too but at least he seemed to revere and enjoy the ladies with a bemused, this-is-all-a-dream detachment. In Goldfinger he flat out despises women, treating them as hurdles in the way of "man talk", carelessly getting two of them killed and essentially raping the third one. The worst part (well, maybe not the worst, but the irony stood out) is that raping Pussy Galore ends up being a crucial step into foiling Goldfinger, not that Bond planned it that way or that it makes any sense that it would work out that way either.
You should read the book. Movie Bond is practically a saint in comparison.

Reactions: thebobmaster

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Dr Strange 2. Even watching the day after premiere, barely anyone in the theater. The perks of still being a student I guess, man I'll miss it.

Anyway, it was good. But plenty of things keeping it from being great. But mostly, America Chavez. She, to put it simply, sucks. Her acting sucks, which honestly feels like both the actor's fault and the director's. I hate Captain Marvel because she comes off like Brie Larsen was told explicitly to act "like an MCU character". The same is for America and her actor. Doesn't help that her origin story, arc, and dialogue are garbage. As she is the main character alongside Strange, she really drags this whole movie down with her.

But what I did enjoy about the movie was how obviously Sam Raimi it was. I could genuinely believe that the New York in this movie is the same New York from his Spider-man trilogy. Felt like a completely different New York in the MCU, which is funny when we've seen New York twice last year. The same could be said for the action sequences. There are plenty of generic ones, and they still do rely way too much on the awful glowing lines martial arts bullshit, but there are a few that are easily the most creative sequences in the MCU. The horror stuff wasn't scary to me, but it was shocking? If that makes sense. Definitely the goriest MCU movie out there.

The multiverse concept itself is a mixed bag. What we did get was pretty cool. But they blew all their load on the multiverse concept in one go, so you are kind of left thinking "was that it?".

I'm still hoping that the MCU can put out a movie again that I can love with no reservations. There hasn't really been one since Far From Home, which was like three years ago. Maybe I've just changed as a person, maybe I'm just had too much of the MCU. But Thor 4 looks like good fun, and I'm glad to be watching movies back in theaters again, so here's hoping Taika hits it out of the park.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod