• Total voters

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
As convincing as the GIFs have been, my opinion is still pretty steadfast on this one. My apologies to Mr. Swayze who is apparently highly regarded *sheesh*. :rolleyes:
If it makes you feel any better I like roadhouse, but I'm not enamored with it nor obsessed with it like nearly all of America. Especially those from the south or Southwest. My dad's from alabama, so it makes sense he would like this type of movie and Mr. Swayze. I did watch it plenty of times on TV or movie channels, but that guy old when I was around 9 or 10. Plus I was way more obsessed with John Carpenter movies around that time
Don't even get me started on all the martial arts movies from Van Damme, Jackie Chan, and many more.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
This was one of the more frustrating experiences I've had recently.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I don't think I've turned against a movie faster than when I did with Cars 3.

90% of the movie isn't a cinematic masterpiece, in many ways it's just them doing Cars 1 again, but I was having enough fun. Lots of jokes landed for me, and the intensely foreshadowed plot of "McQueen is too old to race, but that doesn't mean his life can't be meaningful anymore" is very relatable.

But fucking hell. The last 10% of the movie wants to have cake and eat it too, and then get another cake, stick it up its ass, then blow it out all over the audience. Eugh.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States

90% of the movie isn't a cinematic masterpiece, in many ways it's just them doing Cars 1 again, but I was having enough fun. Lots of jokes landed for me, and the intensely foreshadowed plot of "McQueen is too old to race, but that doesn't mean his life can't be meaningful anymore" is very relatable.

But fucking hell. The last 10% of the movie wants to have cake and eat it too, and then get another cake, stick it up its ass, then blow it out all over the audience. Eugh.
It's astonishing how easily you can tell the difference between a PIXAR movie that had a vision behind it and one that was studio driven. You have films like UP, WALL-E and Inside Out where its like "ok they are trying say something here" and stuff like Cars 3 where its just saying...all the things. It just a jumbled mess by the end of it. I didn't hate Cars 3 its just that by the end of it I was exactly sure what I was supposed to take home with me. Maybe nothing.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
You have films like UP, WALL-E and Inside Out where its like "ok they are trying say something here" and stuff like Cars 3 where its just saying...all the things.
Pretty much. I was chortling when the female race car was getting discriminated against. They so clearly believed that implying a big sexism automatically wins them emotion points, and yet it achieved the complete opposite. It could not have been more obvious that they were too scared to have anyone in the movie actually be sexist, especially not the villain. It feels so empty.

Fuck it, I don't care about spoilers. I was fully expecting them to have McQueen realize that his prime is over and that he can find happiness in becoming a coach for the new generation. Then they still let him race, they still let him "win", and he ends the movie by stealing his mentor's appearance and moniker. What the fuck.

"Nothing" very accurately describes what you can take away from the movie.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Cars have been Pixar’s licence to make all their other movies. Because the merch money Cars pulls in is immense. Like $8billion across the three of them immense. It’s what gives them the clout to make stuff like Soul or Inside Out or Luca; stuff that doesn’t really have a big toy selling potential.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

I was expecting to dislike this one a lot more than I did.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Watched The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker back to back.

So these are the same movie. Yes, Bond movies are basically the same routine over and over since Goldfinger, but here it's like they forgot their homework so they repurposed last week's essay with a couple of basic twists.

The villain from Spy wants to start a city underwater, the villain from Moonraker wants to start a city in space. Spy has Bond drive a car that can turn into a submarine, so Moonraker has Bond drive a boat that can turn into a car. In Spy Bond has to team up with a KGB spy who hates him (see title), in Moonraker it's a CIA agent who also hates him (Bond's "A woman scientist!?" feels weirdly sexist even for 1977). Hell, both movies open with the same stunt involving a timely deployed parachute. Both have the villain feeding a woman that betrayed him to his pets. Even the cast of secondary characters is made up mostly of holdovers from Spy Who Loved Me, on top of the usual M/Q/Moneypenny trifecta: the Ministry of Defense is back, as is M's Russian counterpart Gogol, and of course Jaws. Both are also directed by Lewis Gilbert, who pretty much stages the same third act climax in which Bond leads American troops in an assault on the bad guy's base.

Anyway, The Spy Who Loved Me is not only the clearly better movie but Moore's best Bond so far. Moonraker just goes all out on hackneyed comedy. It plays Bernstein's Romeo and Juliet when two characters suddenly, randomly fall in love. It plays the theme from Magnificent Seven when Bond briefly, randomly rides a horse. It plays circus music during its sillier moments, like when Bond drives a gondola down a crowded plaza in Venice and there's stock footage of dogs and pigeons doing double takes at the ridiculous sight. We're officially in Loony Tunes territory. Not to mention Jaws repeatedly embodying Wily E. Coyote in his attempts on Bond's life. And Q's scenes of violently testing equipment and debriefing James are starting to look like what goes on in the background of a Naked Guns movie.

The other thing is that Barbara Bach plays the more interesting of the two spy babes forced to collaborate with James. First of all you have the underlying tension that neither knows James killed her beau. Second, she's more antagonistic and competitive towards James and effectively one-ups him several times. She holds her own and really does feel like the movie's other protagonist instead of another Bond girl. They just make a more fun match. Lois Chiles also gets to kick ass and be more of an equal to James and unlike Bach she's spared the usual indignity of running around the collapsing facility in a bikini, but I didn't think her character was that unique or that she had much chemistry with Moore.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
That's not completely fair. You forgot to mention Jaws' love story in Moonraker. That was...different.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Cars have been Pixar’s licence to make all their other movies. Because the merch money Cars pulls in is immense. Like $8billion across the three of them immense. It’s what gives them the clout to make stuff like Soul or Inside Out or Luca; stuff that doesn’t really have a big toy selling potential.
As someone who is friends with a huge Cars (adult) fan, I really don't understand it. The memes can be funny, but considering how old these movies are, how is this franchise even still relevant to kids?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
So, went to my local JB Hifi. They finally have John Wick 4. And...it's with a "buy 2 get one free" sticker, which seems odd. Very odd that Barbie had one as well, but didn't buy that.

So did Fast And Furious X, Renfield, Dune, Dungeons and Dragons and The Witches. Bought those.

Anyway, John Wick 4 starts off a bit weak. A Harbinger closes the NY Continental like the Arbitrator did last time. Whatever.

But it gets going, and it's even more over the top, but with shorter scenes that don't drag as much.

And it looks better than ever, the cinematography is superb, the silly but intriguing worldbuilding is just as good.

That's not completely fair. You forgot to mention Jaws' love story in Moonraker. That was...different.
Mentioned n passing, though:

It plays Bernstein's Romeo and Juliet when two characters suddenly, randomly fall in love.

hanselthecaretaker2

Flask restoration in progress
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Meh, don't know what to tell you; never been a fan.
What’s next? You gonna say you never saw The Goonies either/couldn’t see what the appeal was?

But really in all seriousness, I might’ve seen Roadhouse on TV at some point but couldn’t say it made any kind of impression on my movie-watching youth.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
OTOH, I did just see The Witches. And...ok, this was weird. Does it want to be a kid's adventure movie? I guess, but the rating is a bit high, at least in Australia, it's rated M. Also, Anne Hathaway's cleavage is a bit noticeable in parts as she stores things in the top of her low cut dresses.

The acting is fine (and the overacting, Anne Hathaway is having a lot of fun in her role), and the visuals are nice, it's pretty well done. Making it about a black family in the 70s just worked.

The massive fail, of course, was both making the witches look witchy by giving them abnormal features which some people IRL have. And then running a PR campaign where they encouraged people to look for people who had those features IRL, cause they were evil witches. Which got some complaints, because obviously.

EDIT: Oh, one thing I noticed. Some of the bald witches have the equivalent of 5 o'clock shadows on their scalps, cause it looks like they were just shaved, not CGI-ed or wearing makeup to make them hairless.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
The massive fail, of course, was both making the witches look witchy by giving them abnormal features which some people IRL have. And then running a PR campaign where they encouraged people to look for people who had those features IRL, cause they were evil witches. Which got some complaints, because obviously.
Marketing can be a bit of witch trial and error sometimes.