Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Chaos Walking: OK? And? / 10

Mankind has colonized another planet, and a property of this planet is that it broadcasts the thoughts of men (not women,) so men literally think out loud, dubbing their thoughts their “Noise.” All the females have mysteriously gone missing. A space ship on a +60 year journey [presumptively] from Earth sends down a small group of people to check in; their lander malfunctions and crashes leaving but one survivor: a woman.

Never have I seen a movie that is effectively an extended trailer of itself. I watched the whole thing and walked out with basically as many questions as I walked in with. So little is explained or delved into, it makes one wonder what the film’s cutting room floor looks like. For example, we’re told that their was an indigenous, humanoid population that the colonizers had conflict with. We see one. For about 2 minutes. And they’re never seen or mentioned again as the remainder of the story remains focused on conflict within the colonizing humans. The Noise remains a constant focus, but as little more than a plot device, a contrivance. The reveal as to the missing women is more of an “ok, yeah, and?” than the “A-HA!” they were clearly shooting for. The whole film feels like a skimming off the top of a much more intriguing story than what they gave us.

Coming 2 America: Ok / Great

Pretty much what I expected. It was enjoyable, but any sequel to such an iconic movie is bound to leave one ultimately wanting. I thought it’d be constant call backs to the ‘80s film… and it was… shamelessly. Pretty much every scene is a wink with an elbow to the ribs as they got basically everyone from the original film to reprise their roles, even if only for a second or two because “remember?” But it hangs on to the nostalgia life raft well enough to make it worth the watch. Entertaining enough, harmless, but ultimately forgettable. Another 30 years from now, most will probably still be going back to the original movie for their fix of Akeem and Semmi.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Chaos Walking: OK? And? / 10

Mankind has colonized another planet, and a property of this planet is that it broadcasts the thoughts of men (not women,) so men literally think out loud, dubbing their thoughts their “Noise.” All the females have mysteriously gone missing. A space ship on a +60 year journey [presumptively] from Earth sends down a small group of people to check in; their lander malfunctions and crashes leaving but one survivor: a woman.
This set-up sounds like utter garbage. In fact, it smells to me like young adult literature (which is just about the worst insult I can think of): so stupid and contrived that only a teen is likely to swallow it.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
This set-up sounds like utter garbage. In fact, it smells to me like young adult literature (which is just about the worst insult I can think of): so stupid and contrived that only a teen is likely to swallow it.
Oh, so you've seen it as well?

In all seriousness, I oversimplified, but so little is done throughout the film to delve into the more potentially interesting facets, it really doesn't merit much in the way of a more thorough dissection. If they didn't bother, why should I, y'know? It's apparently based off of a trilogy of books (because what movies nowadays aren't?) and it reeks of such. A little bit of a lot of things to draw viewers in for the inexorably sequels, but nothing of substance to really chew on. Read a professional reviewer's review is basically the same thing as watching the film.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Watchmen

Rewatched it now that I've read the comic. I think it's generally a pretty faithful adaptation, obviously simplified and streamlined from the criss-cross craze that is the original story, which goes back and forth in time as well as in and out of parallel stories (most of them cut from the movie). So in a literal sense it's a faithful adaptation, down to using the original panels as a storyboard, but I think there's a crucial sense of "immeasurable" that's missing from the movie. It's missing on detail, richness and texture for starters. The original comic provides a world that feels lived-in, expansive in action and deep in history. The movie is missing that so it can't leave much to interpretation, so it compensates with gross simplifications and heavy-handedness. The soundtrack is painfully obvious too: Sound of Silence for a funeral, Ride of the Valkyries for a 'Nam flashback, Hallelujah for finally achieving an orgasm. Jesus.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Watchmen

Rewatched it now that I've read the comic. I think it's generally a pretty faithful adaptation, obviously simplified and streamlined from the criss-cross craze that is the original story, which goes back and forth in time as well as in and out of parallel stories (most of them cut from the movie). So in a literal sense it's a faithful adaptation, down to using the original panels as a storyboard, but I think there's a crucial sense of "immeasurable" that's missing from the movie. It's missing on detail, richness and texture for starters. The original comic provides a world that feels lived-in, expansive in action and deep in history. The movie is missing that so it can't leave much to interpretation, so it compensates with gross simplifications and heavy-handedness. The soundtrack is painfully obvious too: Sound of Silence for a funeral, Ride of the Valkyries for a 'Nam flashback, Hallelujah for finally achieving an orgasm. Jesus.
Did you watched the Ultimate Cut?

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Watchmen

Also Snyder couldn't resist the temptation of making the characters aesthetically cooler than they were in the comics. Making Nite-Owl look like Batman was particularly egregious.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Did you watched the Ultimate Cut?
No idea. Whatever's on Amazon.
Also Snyder couldn't resist the temptation of making the characters aesthetically cooler than they were in the comics. Making Nite-Owl look like Batman was particularly egregious.

I had the Ultimate Cut and got for $3 at Big Lots. Watched it once, and never wanted to see it again. Tried to sell it, and I just gave it to one of the customers for free just outside the store I was trying to sell it to. The store would not take my copy, because they had "too many in stock", which was bullshit! I looked in their used DVD section, and they had only two copies of watchmen, and neither were even the Ultimate Edition.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
On the plus side I think the casting is spot on for most characters. Rorshach especially. Ozymandias I feel is the only weak choice. Guy doesn't really own or command the scenes like the character does in the comic. He looks neurasthenic more than everything.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
On the plus side I think the casting is spot on for most characters. Rorshach especially. Ozymandias I feel is the only weak choice. Guy doesn't really own or command the scenes like the character does in the comic. He looks neurasthenic more than everything.
Neurasthenic?

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I watched "Boss Level" The other night on Hulu. I'll admit I was kind of looking forward to it because it stars Frank Grillo, best known for his role as Crossbones in the MCU. I've been following Frank Grillo since he was in "The Purge 2" where he played a sort of uncredited Punisher. In TP2 he plays what honestly is the closest thing I've seen to a totally faithful live action Punisher. He also was positively transcendent in a show called "kingdom" where he played an aging MMA fighter and Gym owner. In general though I'm a fan just because he likes to play these action star roles there are more Jackie Chan than Chuck Norris. The down to earth protagonist that overcomes odds, rather than you yawning through 2 hours of them being superhuman.

Anyhoo, while I was prepared for disappointment because Hulu originals suck I gotta say I was blown away. It was really snappy and fun. The trailers do it a disservice so all the real violence is cut out along with some of the really good bits. Essentially he's trapped in a bizarre groundhogs day where an entire militia kills him every day and he's trying to figure out why. Warning while I wouldn't call it gory you see him die..a ...lot. What I think is kind of interesting is it's not really about the reveal. No twists to really spoil, its largely him dying over and over trying to "beat the boss level". I'd say if you really liked DeadPool and "The Raid Redemption" this is for you. Definitely was an 8/10 for me, though I can't think of much to improve.

*edit nvm I found a pretty good trailer, very mild NSFW warning.

Last edited:

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I watched "Boss Level" The other night on Hulu. I'll admit I was kind of looking forward to it because it stars Frank Grillo, best known for his role as Crossbones in the MCU. I've been following Frank Grillo since he was in "The Purge 2" where he played a sort of uncredited Punisher. In TP2 he plays what honestly is the closest thing I've seen to a totally faithful live action Punisher. He also was positively transcendent in a show called "kingdom" where he played an aging MMA fighter and Gym owner. In general though I'm a fan just because he likes to play these action star roles there are more Jackie Chan than Chuck Norris. The down to earth protagonist that overcomes odds, rather than you yawning through 2 hours of them being superhuman.

Anyhoo, while I was prepared for disappointment because Hulu originals suck I gotta say I was blown away. It was really snappy and fun. The trailers do it a disservice so all the real violence is cut out along with some of the really good bits. Essentially he's trapped in a bizarre groundhogs day where an entire militia kills him every day and he's trying to figure out why. Warning while I wouldn't call it gory you see him die..a ...lot. What I think is kind of interesting is it's not really about the reveal. No twists to really spoil, its largely him dying over and over trying to "beat the boss level". I'd say if you really liked DeadPool and "The Raid Redemption" this is for you. Definitely was an 8/10 for me, though I can't think of much to improve.

*edit nvm I found a pretty good trailer, very mild NSFW warning.

I've been somewhat interested in this film too from the trailer. Feels like a more gritty and less cringy Scott Pilgrim.

How was Mel Gibson in the film because say what you will of the man, he knows how to act.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I've been somewhat interested in this film too from the trailer. Feels like a more gritty and less cringy Scott Pilgrim.

How was Mel Gibson in the film because say what you will of the man, he knows how to act.
I thought he was pretty good, but I've never really been down on Mels acting. The stuff I've heard he's bad in I've haven't seen. I was actually expecting a Bruce Willis phone in for the paycheck type performance, but no he was three dimensional and pretty insidious.

This movie in general I was really expecting less from it being a smaller Hulu title which does not have a good rep so far, but it's got a lot of good actors in it and everyone seems to know what movie they're in and seem to have had a good time with it. I get the impression nobody was "paid to appear".

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I think, when I first watched it, I read it as a very faithful adaptation, and plotwise it is. A lot of the events are the same. However, as I've come to appreciate the comic more I've realized that something is fundamentally off about the adaptation, and I think it's that the perspective is different. It's not just that it's simple and heavy handed, it's simplicity, heavy handedness and emphasis on style over substance fundamentally changes parts of the story in ways that are ugly, and not in a good way. The film thinks characters like the Comedian and Rorschach are cool. It thinks the original silk spectre getting beaten and nearly raped is sexy. It think's Laurie and Dan's relationship is aspirational.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
OT: Watched 47 Ronin (with Keanu) last night on a whim. Pretty mediocre movie, with some TERRIBLE cgi, but there were glimpses of greatness in the action scenes. Ultimately, it just made me want to play Ghost of Tsushima more. I was surprised to learn that they're going to make a sequel to this movie, because it ends pretty definitively. But hey, I'll watch more Keanu sure.
He should have used the Moon Stance. He would have been able to kill the brute.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I think, when I first watched it, I read it as a very faithful adaptation, and plotwise it is. A lot of the events are the same. However, as I've come to appreciate the comic more I've realized that something is fundamentally off about the adaptation, and I think it's that the perspective is different. It's not just that it's simple and heavy handed, it's simplicity, heavy handedness and emphasis on style over substance fundamentally changes parts of the story in ways that are ugly, and not in a good way. The film thinks characters like the Comedian and Rorschach are cool. It thinks the original silk spectre getting beaten and nearly raped is sexy. It think's Laurie and Dan's relationship is aspirational.
I didn't think the characters were radically changed for the movie, except for Nite Owl being slightly less pathetic. The whole Sally/Blake thing, I doubt the movie was condoning it, the comic just gives you more time with Sally to appreciate how pained/misguided she is about Blake.

To me the crucial problem with the movie is that it brings nothing new to the table as an adaptation. Except for the title sequence (summarizing the backstory the reader otherwise gleans from flashbacks and text logs while reading the xomic) and some new action scenes, it's just as literal and streamlined an adaptation as it gets.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Re-watched Big Trouble in Little China and it still one of Carpenter's best action films. You got martial arts, sword fights, wire-fu, minor gun play, and magic! It's one of the best buddy movies too. The cast are clearly having the time of their lives and everyone is in sync with each other. The soundtrack and score is top notch and matches action campy romp BTILC is going for. The first time I saw this movie was in mid Spring 1998 on HBO. I was 8 years old at time time. After seeing it the first time, I would crazy whenever a network or movie channel would air it. Kurt Russel works so well as the goofy sidekick that thinks he's the main hero, yet still gets in some bad ass moments.

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I didn't think the characters were radically changed for the movie, except for Nite Owl being slightly less pathetic. The whole Sally/Blake thing, I doubt the movie was condoning it, the comic just gives you more time with Sally to appreciate how pained/misguided she is about Blake.

To me the crucial problem with the movie is that it brings nothing new to the table as an adaptation. Except for the title sequence (summarizing the backstory the reader otherwise gleans from flashbacks and text logs while reading the xomic) and some new action scenes, it's just as literal and streamlined an adaptation as it gets.
Yeah, I dont know how much it should have changed. A first time adaptation I'm fine with it not changing too much

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Just watched Leprechaun 2. Take the first movie, reduce the already-low budget, and take out all the likeable chemistry between the leads, and you have Leprechaun 2 when compared to the first one. No, sir, I didn't like it.

Reactions: BrawlMan