• Total voters

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
In a sense, a problem I have with that is often that although a character can have super-strength, physics should also apply, e.g. equal and opposite force. The superhero can't pick a car up and swing it that way because they don't have leverage; the disparity in mass and force would simply cause them to move, not the car. If they try to slow that train down, the friction they can generate with their feet on the ground is utterly trivial in terms of the momentum of hundreds of tons of train, never mind that if they did exert that much deceleration, the force it would exert on part of the train not designed to cope with it would cause a critical structural failure.

I know at one level this stuff "doesn't matter", and it doesn't really bother me much. And yet I can't help notice.
I brought up in a thread (I think in V1 when I started the original Shower Thoughts thread) that I was curious how superheroes with super strength actually build their physiques. Resistance and the breakdown of muscle is integral to building said muscle up into the beach bods they sport, but if their muscles aren't being taxed, if things such as cars and other impossible lifts for the average, earthbound humans subject to Earth's gravity are trivial (like you or I picking up grocery sacks,) shouldn't they all be flabby? What are they actually lifting to breakdown their muscle tissue so it heals into the bulk they put on?

Then I remind myself that comic book characters exist solely to defy nature and also that I'm a child of the '80s and "go with it" is how I was basically raised. Still, it's fun to entertain their absurdity in the face of reality, but I'm missing the point if I get hung up on what doesn't make sense.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Aurora
A weird Finnish film about an alcoholic young woman, Aurora, who """helps""" an Iranian refugee Darian so he and his daughter don't get deported. Except that it's not weird but cliché and boring like a daytime soap with alcohol. These clichés are played with a little bit and there is a notable side character who's the most stereotypical Finnish man you can think of, except he's black. So they make the Iranian guy think he's not Finnish for 15 seconds and from then on it's played straight. wow such clever

And the alcoholism. Despite the side characters being barely from this world, the drinking isn't played for laughs, and so there is heavy dissonance between the main characters' serious story and the rest. It's set in Rovaniemi, which is a town in Lapland where half of my family are from, and so it's cool to see familiar places. 5/10

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
My question that you quoted though, was a legit question, assuming that actually happened in Thor: Dark World, where a plain vanilla human threw a car. I am curious who that was, and in what context?
IIRC, because of something weird magic thingy, random objects like cars became weightless (I guess they were going for massless, but whatever), and just floated a metre above the ground and were easily for normal people to spin around and stuff. At one point, some normal human swings a car around because it's got no mass, but the alien monster thingy they hit with it got smashed as if it did. Mixing up weight and mass and then forgetting all about it. Only saw that film once, some time ago, though, might be remembering it incorrectly.

I brought up in a thread (I think in V1 when I started the original Shower Thoughts thread) that I was curious how superheroes with super strength actually build their physiques. Resistance and the breakdown of muscle is integral to building said muscle up into the beach bods they sport, but if their muscles aren't being taxed, if things such as cars and other impossible lifts for the average, earthbound humans subject to Earth's gravity are trivial (like you or I picking up grocery sacks,) shouldn't they all be flabby? What are they actually lifting to breakdown their muscle tissue so it heals into the bulk they put on?

Then I remind myself that comic book characters exist solely to defy nature and also that I'm a child of the '80s and "go with it" is how I was basically raised. Still, it's fun to entertain their absurdity in the face of reality, but I'm missing the point if I get hung up on what doesn't make sense.
In The Incredibles, one of them goes to a rail depot or something and moves rolling stock around because they had gotten a bit flabby.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
True, but it's exclusively a male thing. The superwomen with super-strength all have the physiques of Victoria's Secret models.

There is of course the basic idea of thermodynamics applying that hefting a car requires energy, energy is produced by metabolism of fats, carbohydrates, etc., which means power output is limited by food consumption: Clark Kent must spend his entire salary on food. But then he's got to store that energy, too. Perhaps they aren't muscles, they're actually massive glucose storage sacs.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
True, but it's exclusively a male thing. The superwomen with super-strength all have the physiques of Victoria's Secret models.

There is of course the basic idea of thermodynamics applying that hefting a car requires energy, energy is produced by metabolism of fats, carbohydrates, etc., which means power output is limited by food consumption: Clark Kent must spend his entire salary on food. But then he's got to store that energy, too. Perhaps they aren't muscles, they're actually massive glucose storage sacs.
He gets the energy from miniature black holes that the super-advanced Kryptonian technology knows how to maintain and tap into (they biogenetically engineer their kids too).

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

What I find interesting is that male superheros are bulkier and you would think would produce more excess heat to radiate, but it's always the female superheros wearing skimpier outfits despite being smaller in comparison with slimmer physiques.

Unless there's another factor in play here.....

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
What I find interesting is that male superheros are bulkier and you would think would produce more excess heat to radiate, but it's always the female superheros wearing skimpier outfits despite being smaller in comparison with slimmer physiques.

Unless there's another factor in play here.....
It's almost like...I don't know, the people writing these things aren't worried about actual physics of completely unrealistic activities, and are just trying to have fun, and tell a cool story. :p

Because the reality is that even the most muscly jacked Rob Leifeld comic hero, with muscles on top of muscles, couldn't lift the shit that comic heroes lift. It's just not physically possible, so whether the hero is a skimpy runway model, or the most roided out weightlifter, it's ALL BULLSHIT! Which is why I find it funny when people try and call foul on a female character doing a feat of strength and say shit like "oh come on! she couldn't do that with those arms!" but they are mysteriously silent when they see someone built like the Rock do it, even though it's equally impossible.

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
It's almost like...I don't know, the people writing these things aren't worried about actual physics of completely unrealistic activities, and are just trying to have fun, and tell a cool story. :p

Because the reality is that even the most muscly jacked Rob Leifeld comic hero, with muscles on top of muscles, could lift the shit that comic heroes lift. It's just not physically possible, so whether the hero is a skimpy runway model, or the most roided out weightlifter, it's ALL BULLSHIT! Which is why I find it funny when people try and call foul on a female character doing a feat of strength and say shit like "oh come on! she couldn't do that with those arms!" but they are mysteriously silent when they see someone built like the Rock do it, even though it's equally impossible.
And heaven forbid that they actually give the women muscles...That's a whole new can of worms that just opened up.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And heaven forbid that they actually give the women muscles...That's a whole new can of worms that just opened up.
Exactly why I like Street Fighter, King of Fighters,and certain other fighting games. The former is especially true about giving women actual muscle. Even if they have an athletic build, it actually fits their character or their fighting style. Not every woman is muscled up, but a lot of them are or got some muscle definition in their abs.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
The fundamental problem with that is that muscle women are an unorthodox fetish, rather than a conventional sexual attraction.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Grizzly Man
Werner Herzog's documentary about the bear obsessed environmentalist Timothy Treadwell, who was eaten by a bear. It's really well done. Treadwell is clearly nuts but Herzog is also nuts so pieces together Treadwell's story in a way that is sympathetic even though it doesn't endorse him. A lot of the film is made up of Treadwell's own footage, which is breathtakingly beautiful and also a poignant portrait of a man who so desperately needed to have a purpose he created one for himself.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Grizzly Man
Werner Herzog's documentary about the bear obsessed environmentalist Timothy Treadwell, who was eaten by a bear. It's really well done. Treadwell is clearly nuts but Herzog is also nuts so pieces together Treadwell's story in a way that is sympathetic even though it doesn't endorse him. A lot of the film is made up of Treadwell's own footage, which is breathtakingly beautiful and also a poignant portrait of a man who so desperately needed to have a purpose he created one for himself.
Also, kudos to Herzog, apparently Treadwell's footage includes his and his girlfriend's death (audio, at least): Herzog destroyed that part.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Grizzly Man
Yeah I remember seeing that many years ago. It was compelling to see Tim's issues on display, as he was filming those clips. The part that bothered me the most, even though it was...what, 3rd hand experience? Is when the director is listening to the audio of the actual death of Tim, and we're watching him listen to it, along with the woman (Tim's friend) who had possession of it. And how he just puts it down, after saying nothing the entire time, looks at her, and just says "You should never listen to that, ever." His tone was....disturbing to say the least. And you can see her cracking with emotion as he looks at her.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Also, kudos to Herzog, apparently Treadwell's footage includes his and his girlfriend's death (audio, at least): Herzog destroyed that part.
The scene with Herzog listening to that audio is one of the most haunting scenes I've seen in any documentary.

Reactions: happyninja42

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Yeah I remember seeing that many years ago. It was compelling to see Tim's issues on display, as he was filming those clips. The part that bothered me the most, even though it was...what, 3rd hand experience? Is when the director is listening to the audio of the actual death of Tim, and we're watching him listen to it, along with the woman (Tim's friend) who had possession of it. And how he just puts it down, after saying nothing the entire time, looks at her, and just says "You should never listen to that, ever." His tone was....disturbing to say the least. And you can see her cracking with emotion as he looks at her.
It's worth bearing in mind that this was a very strong reaction by Herzog standards. When he was was promoting Grizzly Man he was shot with an air rifle during an interview with the BBC's resident film critic Mark Kermode, but remained unfazed.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
It's worth bearing in mind that this was a very strong reaction by Herzog standards. When he was was promoting Grizzly Man he was shot with an air rifle during an interview with the BBC's resident film critic Mark Kermode, but remained unfazed.
This reminds me of a review I read of "Aguirre, Wrath of God", where I can't remember the exact quotation, but it very wittily suggested the director and lead were more insane and overambitious than the characters in it. And that's saying something.

Reactions: Dalisclock

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
This reminds me of a review I read of "Aguirre, Wrath of God", where I can't remember the exact quotation, but it very wittily suggested the director and lead were more insane and overambitious than the characters in it. And that's saying something.
During the filming of Aguirre an extra allegedly offered to kill Klaus Kinski for Herzog, and although he declined Herzog also threatened to shoot Kinski and then kill himself to prevent Kinski from walking out of the project. Kinski and Herzog hated each other but ended up making five films together because Herzog thought Kinski was a great actor and Kinski needed the work because nobody except Herzog could tolerate him.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
During the filming of Aguirre an extra allegedly offered to kill Klaus Kinski for Herzog, and although he declined Herzog also threatened to shoot Kinski and then kill himself to prevent Kinski from walking out of the project. Kinski and Herzog hated each other but ended up making five films together because Herzog thought Kinski was a great actor and Kinski needed the work because nobody except Herzog could tolerate him.
I interviewed the DP of Aguirre. Nobody got along with Kinski. And Kinski gave Herzog an ultimatum while shooting Cobra Verde - either Herzog fired the DP, or he quit. He let the DP go.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Just watched Godzilla 2014. It was...OK. I didn't regret watching it or anything, and pretty much every scene involving kaiju was really well done. The problem is that there weren't enough scenes of kaiju. Instead, I was forced to pretend to care about the main soldier character trying to get home to his wife and kid, and it just didn't really click with me. I feel like a fair bit of time could have been shaved off, making the movie tighter and more enjoyable. Hopefully, the rest of the series will be more fun.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Just watched Godzilla 2014. It was...OK. I didn't regret watching it or anything, and pretty much every scene involving kaiju was really well done. The problem is that there weren't enough scenes of kaiju. Instead, I was forced to pretend to care about the main soldier character trying to get home to his wife and kid, and it just didn't really click with me. I feel like a fair bit of time could have been shaved off, making the movie tighter and more enjoyable. Hopefully, the rest of the series will be more fun.
I like to call it a good 30 min movie inside of a mediocre 90 min movie.

I was also annoyed how the US Navy decides to block San Francisco Bay by lining up across it because.....reasons understood by nobody. Apparently it's the age of sail and everything has to be broadsides at point blank range or something.