Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It's kind of a testament to the show where Bojack can be a terrible, terrible person and yet be relatable enough to keep watching him. Though his self destructive cycles of "Realize he's shit, try to get better, make some progress, hit a barrier, backslide, get wasted, realize he's shit, repeat" can get irritating after a while.
If the show was squarely focused on BoJack I could see that becoming annoying, but I feel they know how to give other characters a lot of spotlight to stop that from happening. As opposed to Rick and Morty where everything seems focused on building up Rick's legacy as the most cynical badass, and eveyone else is just lame and stupid by comparison. BoJack feels like a critique on that mentality, where you can tell BoJack thinks he's that type of person and he sorta tries to revel in that, but it quickly crumbles in the face of others.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Earthfasts

Old British kids show, based on a much older book (by a guy that later pled guilty to abusing kids, as it happens). Quite well done and atmospheric, and the only show I know of in which the kids test a magic item for radioactivity by exposing film to it.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Murrain

One of Nigel Kneale's less memorable works, and with a "twist" you'll see coming the entire show away. Decent enough.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I Love Dick

Ostensibly this is a comedy of embarrassments about a woman, Chris, and her crippling obsession with a man named Dick (who happens to be her husband's new colleague). What this really is about, I think, is the misguided female worship of the patriarchal establishment, here embodied by a cowboy named Dick (duh). Dick runs a prestigious but not very popular art gallery in the middle of Marfa, Texas, one of the most unlikeliest art meccas I ever mistook for fiction (one character observes very accurately the weird mix of "hip" and "dumpy"). Chris has just had her indie short pulled from the Venice Film Festival and is going through a bit of a meltdown when she meets Dick and he immediately becomes her world and everything she wants from it. So she goes home and starts writing "letters" to him with serial killer intensity; these letters more or less frame the episodes and become a running point of tension in the show.

So Dick is essentially the embodiment of male boomer authority, someone who made his bones in the art world ages ago by erecting phallic monoliths all across a desert he claimed for himself, yet hasn't produced anything new in ages and lives reaping off his glory days. His art gallery is bland and ghostly, populated by simple geometry ("A straight line is perfection") he hasn't even made. His big masterpiece is a fucking brick on a pedestal. His assistant is a black lady whose job is to pitch female artists for Dick to refuse to exhibit while providing him with deniability, I think ("I can't be racist or sexist, look at Paula!"). Anyway, Chris wants in because her own feminity has got her nowhere in the art world, as far as she's concerned, and I think she's just as flared up sexually by him as she wants to dissect him and figure out what the fuck does it take to have this kind of effect on people.

Anyway, that's my take. Kathryn Hahn plays Chris and she's the obvious, perfect fit for the part - she's very good at trying too hard to not look as desperate as she really is. Kevin Bacon as Dick is not an obvious casting at all but I think he nails the character: he's aloof and unfathomable to an infuriating degree, and even when he's on his own or seemingly being frank you always feel he's holding something back.

Reactions: gorfias

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Finally completed the four Mad Max movies with Beyond Thunderdome tonight. What the hell...? This movie was good. Flawed, but good. I half-expected some kind of disaster from what people were saying. Least favorite is the original, but I enjoyed them all.

I've watched Mad Max 2 three times over maybe ten years, Fury Road about seven times since its release and Mad Max for the first time earlier this year.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
TNG Season 5 and 6

Holy crap, season 5 was a chore. I was actually ready to give up, but I knew I, Borg was good and it still is. i got me through.

Season 6 has characters acting consistently. Yay! There's some continuity. Action matter! (sometimes. It's still TNG.) They are beginning to give the characters personalities. Not just running missions. They're adding little details that flesh out people and the universe. This is actually good, basically on par with the Orville. I gather my memory was hazy and I thought some of these good episode were spread to earlier seasons. I've been depressed at how bad TNG was, and maybe I was completely wrong in liking it ever. But I just had to stick through 5 seasons (which is not too bad, DS9 has 3 pretty bad seasons.)

Which brings me to a complaint about the show Picard. Specifically one about the Federation's reaction to android for their attack. All evidence from TNG I've seen is that the Federation is pretty reactionary and bloodthirsty, very willing to genocide at the drop of a hat. That's exactly how the Federation would have reacted. Picard is the only one really interested in morals.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Beasts by Nigel Kneale, or at least the first 2 out of 6 episodes. Decent enough, but no Quatermass or Stone Tape.

Watch a bunch of his stuff in a row, and there's a lot of people panicking or disbelieving or otherwise being useless and getting in the way, which makes sense in context, but gets tiresome.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Lovecraft Country (S01E01)

Not really much of the cosmic horror so far, but the way it uses Jim Crowe era racism does create some tense and unsettling moments. Tho considering how much Lovecraft was known to hate anything non-white, even for his time, that's perhaps not too surprising. Anyway, it hooked me enough to want to keep watching. Also, apparently Michael K Williams, the dude who played Omar in The Wire is gonna be in this too, so that's a plus.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Not really much of the cosmic horror so far, but the way it uses Jim Crowe era racism does create some tense and unsettling moments. Tho considering how much Lovecraft was known to hate anything non-white, even for his time, that's perhaps not too surprising. Anyway, it hooked me enough to want to keep watching. Also, apparently Michael K Williams, the dude who played Omar in The Wire is gonna be in this too, so that's a plus.
I've been hearing a lot of interesting things about it and honestly, between that and "Watchman" makes me want to grab HBO MAX for a month or so.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The Neighbor's Window

Won Best Short Film at the Oscars last year. A middle-aged couple with kids looks across the street to a front-facing apartment where a 20-something couple is always having sex and hosting parties. This is pedestrian to the fucking marrow bone. The lesson is, whenever you think your life sucks, be thankful you don't have cancer.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Agents of Shield: Endgame

Trying to make lightening strike twice, are we? This was a walk through Shield's past and included Agent Carter stuff. Many villians return and get remixed. It was pretty good with the time loop, which SHOULD be the most done story ever (along with the 'somehow I ended in an insane asulym and the reality was all made up' troupe), probably being the best. A good twist on a tired theme.

7.5/ 10

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eps 3 and 4 of Beasts, by Nigel Kneale

Ep 2 was style over substance, but with lots of style. 3 and 4 were style over substance and there's some style. Not nearly as good as Quatermass or Stone Tape.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I would watch is just to enjoy the show, and just to spite that prick. I know Lovecraft is rolling in his grave right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chimpzy

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I would watch is just to enjoy the show, and just tobspite that prick. I know Lovecraft is rolling in his grave right now.
For sure. Like, red-faced bulging veins frothing at the mouth levels of irate.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Monkey, eps 1 and 2

Fondly remembered cult classic of BBC and ABC fame. The show is surprisingly watchable without being a child or stoner. Sun Wukong (or Monkey) is a softer take than the source but he’s still an arrogant, violent and crass bastard. Like painting the equivalent of Kilroy Was Here on Buddha’s finger is one thing, pissing on it is quite another.

The show also spends about four episodes putting the team together: episode one details the falls from grace of Monkey, Sandy and Pigsy. Episode two is when we meet Tripitaka and are told of his mission and some background before he meets and frees Monkey. The next two episodes (I think) will be picking up Pigsy and Sandy.

Okay so let’s be honest; it was the 70s and Cocaine was a thing. The dub is hamtacular with everyone doing their best terrible Asian accents but this only compliments the great physical overacting indulged in by basically everyone except Tripitaka. The legendary theme song has all the hallmarks of a cheap dub except it was done in truly excellent English by a Japanese folk rock band called Godeigo.

If you can handle 70’s era kung fu “chop sockey” kids entertainment with a dub to match, you won’t go far wrong.

A sad note, the actress that played Tripitaka - Masako Natsume - died of acute leukaemia at the age of 27, which is just unfair.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh yeah, have the boxset of that (including I think 13 eps of a different, late dub, that weren't originally shown).

Some good stuff, but very hit or miss, some really good stories and some woeful ones. Also, Tripitaka seems to randomly change from "Monkey, no violence!" to standing there quietly saying nothing to "Fight that guy!" and back.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Oh yeah, have the boxset of that (including I think 13 eps of a different, late dub, that weren't originally shown).

Some good stuff, but very hit or miss, some really good stories and some woeful ones. Also, Tripitaka seems to randomly change from "Monkey, no violence!" to standing there quietly saying nothing to "Fight that guy!" and back.
Yeah, the inconsistency is present to some degree in the original texts and some later telling I think use the four of them as allegorical representations of the mind of a person trying to reach enlightenment and the many conflicting and counterintuitive feelings that manifests.

On the other hand, dialogue as the plot requires it is also a thing is 70s dubs so yeah :p

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ep 5 of Beasts, by Nigel Kneale

So far, each ep is worse than the last. I did like the kinda twist that there wasn't the predictable twist, the guy was totally wrong the whole time.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Finished the first season of Stargirl. And....yeah well, it's a show. Sadly I don't have too many things positive to say about it.

The lead character is annoying, and never really stops being annoying. Yes she's supposed to be 15, so there is some leeway given, but she exceeds that in my opinion by about mid-season, and just keeps going into pure annoyance. The actress is just fine, I'm not knocking her, it's the writing.

I guess I should maybe toss up spoilers? If anyone actually cares, yeah ok I will.

So, about the rest of the cast.

The girl Beth, who I THINK they were trying to imply has a socialization disorder of some kind? She is just so fucking annoying. She just wanders around, literally spying on people, and thinks it's just perfectly fine. She gets the goggles that give her her "super power", which translates to the glasses from Spiderman Far From Home, by sneaking into Stargirl's room when she's not home, and just TAKING them. She then proceeds to stand there, in her room, scanning EVERY detail, and is totally confused when Courtney (Stargirl) comes in, finds a stranger in her bedroom, wearing some of her stuff, and is justifiably pissed about it. She has like a split second where she frowns like "processing, compiling, human behavior suggests this was wrong, I should redirect" and then does literally that, distracting Courtney from her justified criticism of Beth, with some random tidbit of knowledge. She has zero filter, and I'm supposed to find it....I dunno, endearing? Well it doesn't work. She's obnoxious and annoying, and even the other people in the show feel that way about her.

Yolanda (Wildcat), is from a ridiculously conservative, christian latino family, and she does one thing that gets her in trouble socially (she sent a tit-pic to her boyfriend), and they treat her like a fucking leper. The school also treats her like she's a slut, even going so far as to grafitti it on her locker. Now, I find this really dumb, because let's be real, at least HALF of those kids are sexting each other on a daily basis, and talking about it to their friends. And I know this, because one of my friends had a similar issue with their daughter, finding out that her little cluster of girlfriends were all discussing what guys they were going to suck and fuck. It was just casual conversation for them. So yeah, a school with hundreds of students, and only one is sexting? Yeah, bullshit. Also, she is incredibly hypocritical. First off, she literally tries to KILL the guy who she sent the picture to (they were dating at the time, so it was consentual), because she feels that the embarrassment she felt for a few months, among teenagers she will never talk to again when she graduates highschool, justified KILLING A GUY. He even confronts her about it, when she shows up in her power catsuit to kill him, "you really think I should die for what I did to you?" "YES!!" Ok so, overreact much. Also, I'm still not even sure how it's his fault. Given the scenes presented in the episode where we learn she is shunned at school because of a tit-pic, it's never actually established that he shared it around. In fact, the Bad Girl who ultimately DOES share it, is shown taking his phone from him (because she was scheming to break them up because she wanted him), and he immediately snatches it back from her, clearly not wanting to reveal what was on it. And then later, without any real explanation how, she's got it on her phone, and uploads it during an assembly. And she only had the phone for like seriously 2 seconds. And we see, she didn't have it long enough to do anything with it. And she doesn't have technology powers or anything (something that you actually have to establish in comic book land) So, yeah I'm still confused on that. But, the guy, Henry, doesn't claim he's innocent, even when confronted multiple times. So, I guess he DID share it? It's very fuzzy.

Then further hypocrisy from Yolanda, near the end of the show, one of the other heroes is angry at a villain who killed his parents, and he declares he's going to kill him. Yolanda actually pulls the "Killing is bad, because God Mmkay?" card....and then not 5 minutes later, kills a guy in cold blood. In fact, given what her claws do to flesh, and the fact that she had been fighting hordes of mind controlled thugs of the villain, it feels like she killed a LOT of people already. But this one was very clearly meant to be a big kill. And she does it without hesitation, or remorse. It wasn't self defense, it was "oh, he's a bad guy, I'm going to slit his fucking throat." And the reason for it, is WAY less personal than the guy she was condemning for his violent nature, yet she acts like she's totally justified because of the grief SHE was put through by this villain.

I forget his name, both real name and hero name, but the guy that Yolanda was condemning above, is also the most stock stupid Hollywood Atheist trope ever. Yolanda tries to console him when we learn that both his parents were murdered, with the cliche shit of "it's god's will" or some such tripe. And the boy gets angry and yells "Well if god didn't do it, then who am I supposed to be angry at?!" Which is just....sigh, so fucking dumb that it makes me want to scratch my eyes out.

Also, the one kid character that we actually LIKED, gets "killed" though I doubt that will stick more than a single season. Henry, the kid that shared the tit-pic of Yolanda, who is also the son of one of the villains, and inherited psychic powers of telepathy and telekinetics from his villain dad. Actually has a really good Heel/Face turn. He reminded me a lot of the boyfriend jerk character from season 1 of Stranger Things. Who is your stereotypical Jock Asshole, but by the end, realizes the shit he's been doing was bad, and turns his life around, to the point where by season 2, you love him. Henry has a similar arc, and we were cheering for him to shake off his father's conditioning to become a bad guy, which he does in a really satisfying way....right before he's "killed."

They "confirm" he's dead, because his father, who killed him, claims he drained his son's powers when he died, like a Highlander apparently. This made him stronger, and thus could implement their Evil Plan over a larger area. My theory though, because we don't SEE Henry die (and even if we did, it's comic reality, death is a vacation), is that he did lose his powers, but didn't die. And that now, as a normal guy, powerless, but with a really strong WILLPOWER, to resist and defy his mind controlling father, he will be a prime candidate to pick up the Green Lantern (which they establish is one of the items Courtney has and is trying to find a bearer of), and he'll join the show again second half of season 2, maybe 3.

None of the kids pay any attention to any adults in the show, which I get, since it's a kid's based hero story, so they have to be the ones to solve the problems. But, you usually offset that with adults who are oblivious, or incompetent, or both. The teachers in Harry Potter for example are really stupid, and can't be relied on for anything really. But the adults in this, Courtney's stepdad specifically, are very competent, but the kids just roll their eyes at the "dad" trying to tell them stuff like "Hey these are actual KILLERS, who have slaughtered heroes far stronger than any of you. You don't just walk into their house and poke your nose around!" And there like "Pssh, whatever GRAMPS!! What do you know!? You're just an ADULT! Who has fought these guys before, and has been alive 3-4 times longer than us, and have personal knowledge about all of this stuff! "

And this isn't just me as a 43 year old dude, my wife also felt they were very stupid kids, acting very stupid.

And I get it, it's a tv teen drama, you have to generate conflict and drama between the main characters. But there are good ways to do that, and bad ways to do that. And unfortunately for me and my wife, the bad ways outweighed the good ways. So we are hoping it's a show, that just had a bad first season, and with subsequent seasons they will improve the writing. The actors are fine, I genuinely don't have any issues with them, they were acting their little hearts out being as genuine as they could with what they were given. Just, what they were given, was really lame.
Youtube Critic started out hating it but at the end posted to the makers, "your show doesn't suck". So I watched only the last 4 episodes so I don't think I endured your pain you suffered. I see your points, particularly with Stargirl's annoying step brother. I figured I could figure out the show without seeing the first 9 episodes and I think I did fine. The last four had enough fun stuff to get me through.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Youtube Critic started out hating it but at the end posted to the makers, "your show doesn't suck". So I watched only the last 4 episodes so I don't think I endured your pain you suffered. I see your points, particularly with Stargirl's annoying step brother. I figured I could figure out the show without seeing the first 9 episodes and I think I did fine. The last four had enough fun stuff to get me through.
Yeah the first several episodes are mostly just teen drama, and explaining how everyone gets their outfit/power. I think you did probably lose some context on Henry and his dad maybe? I forget when they did the bit where Henry starts watching old home movies for information.

I love that the critic you cited, their final opinion was "it doesn't suck", which isn't the greatest of praise. xD

I really wanted to like it more, because I'm a HUGE sucker for legacy stories, it just stumbled too many times to really say I enjoyed watching it. Like I said, I hope it gets better, I think the actors are mostly fine, I think they were just a little too heavy handed with the "teen writing" for their dialogue and behavior. It had shining moments here and there where I saw something I could enjoy, just not enough to really make it sparkle for me. Hope season 2 is better.

Reactions: gorfias