Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
She-Hulk - 6/10

It seems when there's a decent amount of people that hate and love something, I usually fall into the middle and basically think it's average and what all the hubbub is about. And the same thing is true for She-Hulk, it's fine. I like the lead actress a lot and wish there was less She-Hulk actually (in the general work settings) as the CGI isn't that good. I kinda feel making the show animated would've been far better not only with not needing CGI then but also allowing the show to be wackier as I think it's too, I guess, standard overall. The ending episode was pretty fun and I'm surprised a Marvel show would ever go there. I didn't like how she got in massive trouble just for breaking some TVs though.
I pretty much agree with this. She-Hulk is a show I'd immediately forget about after watching each episode. It was aggressively OK. I don't like meta-humor like that, especially in multi-trillion dollar franchises so the whole things comes off as smug to me but I also like Tatian Muslaney so much that, you know, good for her getting a piece of that Marvel. I wanted to be all you-go-girlboss and into it but it was too full of itself. But also kind of entertaining at times, so it's fine, it's just... fine.

Meanwhile for me:

Cabinet of Curiosities, episode 3, the one with F. Murray Abraham
After two episodes of this anthology mini-series my wife and I were very lukewarm on it but since it was Halloween night we decided to give it one more. And, yeah I guess anthology horror that just focuses on grossness and "creepy vibes" is not interesting to me? It's like- like at this f'd up thing and, yeah I guess it's f'd up, what's gonna happen with it? Oh, nothing, 'cause we're done once you showed me the f'd up thing, ok. *shrug*

Slate ranked tihs ep as the best one and while I liked it more than the previous two, it's not enough to keep going.

We were watching Andor before checking these out so we'll go back to it. Wife is as lukewarm on it as Cabinet but after 4 episodes I am enjoying it as a classic resistance story. Viva la Revolucion and all that.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
The Boys: Season 2 (3/5)

Like season 1, I don't have much to say about this season, but overall, season 2 is slightly better than its predecessor. The writing is slightly tighter, with a bit more of a focus/clear goal for the titular group. Kiriko's more of her own character, rather than just a pixie girl. Homelander gets some more nuance, Stormfront's a fairly solid villain, other members of The Seven get some extra character development, etc. None of it is groundbreaking, but what it does, it does a bit better.

I might as well comment on the politics/themes of the season. It's ironic, coming off the Arrowverse and often commenting that their analogy doesn't work, whereas here, it does work, but only because it's bereft of any real subtext - War on Terror, demonization of immigrants, etc. The show isn't really doing anything that hasn't already been done, but I can't really fault it for that.

So, it's fine, I guess.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
The Boys: Season 2 (3/5)

Like season 1, I don't have much to say about this season, but overall, season 2 is slightly better than its predecessor. The writing is slightly tighter, with a bit more of a focus/clear goal for the titular group. Kiriko's more of her own character, rather than just a pixie girl. Homelander gets some more nuance, Stormfront's a fairly solid villain, other members of The Seven get some extra character development, etc. None of it is groundbreaking, but what it does, it does a bit better.

I might as well comment on the politics/themes of the season. It's ironic, coming off the Arrowverse and often commenting that their analogy doesn't work, whereas here, it does work, but only because it's bereft of any real subtext - War on Terror, demonization of immigrants, etc. The show isn't really doing anything that hasn't already been done, but I can't really fault it for that.

So, it's fine, I guess.
My order: 1,3,2. Though, I'm really enjoying the show. Interesting compare and contrast to the comic, which is very different and typically no where near as good but introduced much of the concepts of this story.

EDIT:
examples: in the comic, Stormfront is a man. Homelander is cloned from him. All of the Boys have super powers themselves.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
There's also a lot of characters introduced and to be fair I still don't remember some of their names, like healer lady from the Southlands arc.
That's "Bronwyn," you cultural swine!

But since I'm on the Southlands, I think it's perhaps the weakest arc. It has some of the most interesting concepts (e.g. Adar), but I never really bought the Bronwyn/Arondir 'thing.' Heck, if I'm shipping stuff, GaladrielxHalbrand FTW!

Also, stop with the random Slo-Mo shots. Slo-Mo has a purpose, but a slo-mo shot of a guy on a boat or Gadariel riding her horse isn't needed and just slows things down, even more then they already are.
Ah yes, that horse scene...

Yeah, I have no idea what the director was going for there.

-The elves on the boat in episode 1. That boat has no seats. They presumably just stood there for days waiting to reach the big heaven portal. I know it looks cool but I'm pretty sure a couple of benches would have been appreciated because I'm sure elves sit down at times.
I assume there was a lower deck?

-The "Elves are gonna take our jorbs" thing felt super out of place. It's been a long time since I read the Silmarillion but it doesn't sound like something Tolkien would write and just feels very anachronistic. This is Tolkien, not Fritz Lang, guys.
I've seen this complaint before, but I don't get it. It's a complaint coming from the Numenorean equivalent of Average Joe, and Average Joe is going to be concerned about average things. So when you have a race that's 'better' than you in most ways, then yes, I can see that concern being translated.

That being said, there's something I never really got about the Numenor tensions. Extensive reference is made to "the old ways" that have since been abandoned for generations, but we don't really get any insight into how those ways operated, or how the Numenor of the show has changed from the Numenor of old bar being more isolationist (and elves are isolationist in general, so if anything, Numenor seems to be becoming more elf-like). And yes, from a thematic standpoint, I get it - Numenor is not!Atlantis, it's falling into 'sin,' even before Sauron corrupts Pharazon, but even so...

Also it doesn't help that how split Numenor is seems to deviate with the plot - Elendil tells Galadriel that "some" Numenoreans still follow the old ways, but as soon as Miriel sends out the call, everyone seems to want to play hero. So which is it?

-So the Mt Doom thing is very cool looking, but Its annoying how it's set up. So the big creepy key opens a dam which floods the valley below which then dumps water into the volcano and then......causes a Catastrophic nuclear winter type eruption that turns the Southlands into a the Death Land of Morder in a couple of weeks. The Volcano thing I can roll with, it's the whole "Dumping water into volcano causes catastrophic eruption that forever alters the land" thing I'm having a hard time buying, because while I'm not a geologist, I'm pretty sure that's not how volcanoes work. At best you'd probably get a ton of steam before all the water would boil off and then slow to a trickle as the water above the dam was expended, and even a catastrophic eruption should last maybe a couple days.
I'm also left to wonder how Adar's orcs were able to dig all those trenches without being detected ahead of time.

Also, the no. of orcs under Adar's command seems to vary in accordance with the plot (first it's an army that can take the Southlands, but then 500 Numenoreans can beat them in a simple skirmish, so...)

Otherwise I rather enjoyed the show even if it missteps at times and runs a bit slower then I'd like. Ir's also a bit fond of it's mystery boxes, considering how many "mysterous strangers who could be sauron" show up in season 1. The fact this is setup to what I presume is the defeat of Sauron and Isildur taking the one ring(and then failing to dump it back in Mount Doom) helps me tolerate the slow parts.
I think the reveal as to who Sauron was is handled excellently. Not only does it fit the theme/motif of evil wearing a fair face, but the hints are definitely there throughout the entire piece.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
My favorite part of Rings of Power was when they press the button that makes Mt Doom appear. It's especially memorable because I didn't even realize that was supposed to be Mordor until the name 'Mordor' appeared on screen, confirming that Mordor is there and Mt. Doom is in Mordor.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Handmaids Tale episode 5.9?

This show has had a lot of ups and downs. I recall seeing a general question with Fans last season about where this show was going, did it have an end, or was June turning into a trope. I've found that between the end of last season and this last episode the show has mostly righted the ship. I think the idea to finally juxtipose Junes journey with Ms Waterfords was an excellent direction to take the show. I think focusing on getting their daughter back also gives the show some sort of central direction.

I think however, this show needs to find any ending soon or start exploring more of the geopolitical landscape. There was an entire subplot at some point where a bombing killed much of the Gilead leadership and yet they seem stronger than ever so. The mystery of the landscape for the series was interesting at first, but now it's starting to seem like a combination of laziness and plot armor.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Blockbuster (Ep1-4): Bad / Great

Sitcom about the last Blockbuster video store and it's group of employees struggling to maintain the store's relevance.

Not good. Bad acting, bad writing, really tried-hard, wannabe clever comedy. About the only thing remotely funny is that it's a Netflix series. Imagine if the person who stole your significant other made a sitcom about you and your pathetic, newly-single life and struggles. I mean, ouch.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States

Sitcom about the last Blockbuster video store and it's group of employees struggling to maintain the store's relevance.

Not good. Bad acting, bad writing, really tried-hard, wannabe clever comedy. About the only thing remotely funny is that it's a Netflix series. Imagine if the person who stole your significant other made a sitcom about you and your pathetic, newly-single life and struggles. I mean, ouch.
Maybe Apple TV will do a sitcom about the waning days of Netflix

Reactions: Xprimentyl

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
The Peripheral (Prime)
A sci-fi about future gaming rednecks with noticeable cyberpunk dealios going on. Relatively easy watching, though am not feeling as invested as I first hoped to be. Need to see more and dwell upon what it's up to.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I'm all caught up on Andor and my initial opinion hasn't changed much- it is a pretty decent show about a political rebellion that happens to be set in the Star Wars galaxy. This makes it better than the other SW shows simply because it's also telling its own somewhat coherent story and not banking on nostalgia. But that also makes it weird that it's "good" because it has like no token Star Wars stuff- laser swords and space magic and Darth Vader.

Andy Serkis really bulked up, or is just giving hardcore energy and seems like he did. Whatever it is, man he is so good in this.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The Peripheral (Prime)
A sci-fi about future gaming rednecks with noticeable cyberpunk dealios going on. Relatively easy watching, though am not feeling as invested as I first hoped to be. Need to see more and dwell upon what it's up to.
I was debating over watching this, being wary about being sucked into another series. This non-panning has convinced me to give it a try.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Agreed. Could barely get through an episode. The Good Place and Schitt’s Creek are much, much better at the sort of dysfunctional character comedy they’re going for.

With that loss, we started watching The Boys. Like it, but fuck me they make this band of ‘Supes a mostly insufferable bunch. Especially that übermensching wannabe two-faced A-hole Homelander. I guess it’s a good thing a show gets you to really hate the villains, but after like four episodes I’m left wanting nothing more than to see him, The Deep and Stilllwell exposed to the public and getting their comeuppance. Although maybe it’s just taking its time to show their flaws and whatnot. Like for example A Train’s V addiction puts his crimes into perspective at least.

Not sure where the Jack/Starlight budding romance will end up, but I hope it sidesteps the typical melodramatic “…but I trusted you!!” bs that’s been done past death. So far the show has put a pretty interesting spin on things though overall, so we’ll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Agreed. Could barely get through an episode. The Good Place and Schitt’s Creek are much, much better at the sort of dysfunctional character comedy they’re going for.
I suffered all 10 episodes, mostly while playing games on my cell phone. It doesn't get any better. Trying to figure out if it was intentionally bad; I find it hard to believe respectable talent came together trying to make something good, and greenlit that.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I skipped out on Blockbuster. I actually worked at an assortment of videos stores in the late 90s-early 20s including blockbuster. There's a strange misconception or maybe Mandela effect about the nostalgia of "struggling blockbuster store". Rental video was around long before blockbuster. Blockbuster was a corporation chain that is both responsible for killing off independent video chains, it's own demise and did a lot of harm to the movie industry as a whole. They would largely only carry generic trash "blockbuster" movies would refuse to carry independent film. They treated their staff including myself like garbage. They fought property wars to shut down mom & pop stores. Everybody thinks its cute because they remember blockbuster as "the video store", but it wasn't. Thats all horseshit. Imo They should have approached this as a clerksesque counter-culture about an independent video store. Instead they churned out an unfunny sharmy inoffensive yawnfest.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The Peripheral (Prime)
How YA is this thing? Wanted to give Prime some use this month but I'm super not into YA.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
How YA is this thing? Wanted to give Prime some use this month but I'm super not into YA.
Well I hadn't thought of it as a YA until you brought it up. But I suppose there are a couple of elements in there, tho none of which are the parts of YAs that personally bother me at least, as it's a genre am also a bit less fond of. Only got 3 episodes in so far however, there's still time to go full YA yet. The criticism I do have forming are in other areas currently.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Andor Episode S01e10

Im honestly a bit at a lost for words here. The writers are seeking to add layers of complexity beyond the scope of anything ever imagined by George Lucas. This is Star Wars via Michael Clayton or maybe Syriana. The idea that in a real rebellion theres no clean shaven heroes in red white & blue costumes wielding vibranium shields. Rebellions are full of cowards and self-righteous assholes willing to sacrifice themselves and anyone around them to stick a thumb in the eye of authority. That prison is not a place of penance but state sanctioned slavery.

All the sudden Andor got into some heady shit above the wit of its own creators and this is the star wars weve been asking for, for 40 years. Fuckin finally.

In summary - All is forgiven in that meandering of Andors rutter less narrative. More of this Disney. More of this.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Blockbuster looked at the little spot Superstore carved out for itself and said "we can do that, but shitter and rushing 6 seasons worth of characters into a handful of episodes"

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
So is Andor actually worth watching? Twitter is ablaze with how goddamn good this show is, but the first two episodes that I watched almost sent me to sleep.

Have the subsequent episodes improved things? Or is my Twitter just some kind of Andor-apologist echo chamber?

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
So is Andor actually worth watching? Twitter is ablaze with how goddamn good this show is, but the first two episodes that I watched almost sent me to sleep.

Have the subsequent episodes improved things? Or is my Twitter just some kind of Andor-apologist echo chamber?
It's an interesting political thriller about the seeds of resistance sprouting. It happens to have action occasionally. If you came for space battles, lightsabers, jedi and warfare, you will be disappointed.