Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
History of the World Part 2-Episode 1.

It's better then I thought it was gonna be and I got some laughs out of it. Not amazing but I'm entertained enough to keep going. Arguably it helps that few of the sketches run so long as to overstay their welcome and some of them are broken up(The Russian Revolution gets a couple segments). It is interesting picking out some of the people in it. I do feel like I'm missing some of the jokes in the Russian Revolution section by not knowing much Jewish Culture though.

It looks like we might actually get "Jews In Space" after all, considering they did "Hitler on Ice" for reals.
I was unexpectedly happy to see this coming out. I watched History Of The World Part 1 DECADES ago and always thought the "Part 1" was just a larf on a larf, but when this was announced, I got really excited. I need some dumb fun in my life right now. My gf has never seen Part 1; instead of breaking up with her, I'm now questing to find it. She won't like it, but at least I can leave her knowing she's seen it, and that Part 2 will have the necessary context if she leaves me first.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Skip the first 8 minutes ( I timed it.) of Mandolorian S03E02. Watch the rest of the episode, then come back and tell me those first 8 minutes served any purpose whatsoever. ANY FUCKING PURPOSE.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Chris Rock's new standup special on Netflix.

It's not good. I got about 26 minute in before I turned it off, and up until that point I had laughed exactly zero times, not even a chuckle or a smile. He's just doing the same routine as Dave Chappelle's last special, about how hard it is to be a comedian and how everyone gets cancelled over everything, but he's doing it worse, and it's not like Chappelle was doing it great to begin with.

Also, why does Chris Rock have to constantly repeat every sentence for emphasis? It's like he was getting paid to do an hour but ran out of material and instead of writing more jokes he just decided he'd repeat half his joke in the middle of each joke. Sure it ruins the flow, but at least it makes the special longer...Oh wait that's not a good thing.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Chris Rock's new standup special on Netflix.

It's not good. I got about 26 minute in before I turned it off, and up until that point I had laughed exactly zero times, not even a chuckle or a smile. He's just doing the same routine as Dave Chappelle's last special, about how hard it is to be a comedian and how everyone gets cancelled over everything, but he's doing it worse, and it's not like Chappelle was doing it great to begin with.

Also, why does Chris Rock have to constantly repeat every sentence for emphasis? It's like he was getting paid to do an hour but ran out of material and instead of writing more jokes he just decided he'd repeat half his joke in the middle of each joke. Sure it ruins the flow, but at least it makes the special longer...Oh wait that's not a good thing.
Ok, here's the thing: old super-successful comedians are just NOT GOOD any more.

Dave Chappelle, Louis C.K., Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, Bill Burr, Bill Maher, even Roseanne Barr- I used to idolize these people (yes, Barr was freaking brilliant back in her day).
I hung on their every word, saw them live, repeated their jokes. There were the truth-telling jesters reflecting society's foibles and pissing the right assholes off.
Now? They're old, spoiled, whiny, out-of-touch. They are the bitches. It's sad and disgusting.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
It's not the word "b*tch," so there's that. Also, no one has unironically used bitchin' to describe anything in decades. But if you want any semblance of "positive context" for the actual word "b*tch," I guess you can throw a bone (no pun intended) to female rappers with no self-esteem who use "badass b*tch" as a badge of honor, y'know, the kind of women who make their mothers proud by being the recipient of a bukkake from men she feels superior to.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
It's not the word "b*tch," so there's that. Also, no one has unironically used bitchin' to describe anything in decades. But if you want any semblance of "positive context" for the actual word "b*tch," I guess you can throw a bone (no pun intended) to female rappers with no self-esteem who use "badass b*tch" as a badge of honor, y'know, the kind of women who make their mothers proud by being the recipient of a bukkake from men she feels superior to.
That's an interestingly specific example.

Moving on. Watched a few episodes of The Sweeney. Man, 70s British police shows are WILD!

Reactions: RhombusHatesYou

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
That's an interestingly specific example.

Moving on. Watched a few episodes of The Sweeney. Man, 70s British police shows are WILD!
Something about big tough men saying the phrase "you've been knicked" in aggressive tones just sends me into giggles every time I hear it. That and the silly little wigs their lawyers wear.

I hope I never get arrested in the UK because I don't think I could take their justice system seriously, and that definitely wouldn't help me.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Something about big tough men saying the phrase "you've been knicked" in aggressive tones just sends me into giggles every time I hear it. That and the silly little wigs their lawyers wear.

I hope I never get arrested in the UK because I don't think I could take their justice system seriously, and that definitely wouldn't help me.
Its all relative, but silly slang or no, there's no fuckin' way I'd want to have been on the wrong end of the Flying Squad back in the 70s.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
History of the World Part 2-Ep 2 + 3.

Yeah, I'm digging this. There's a couple of short one-off episodes(Noahs Ark, Shakespeare) here and there interspersed with storylines that they keep coming back to(Notably The Russian Revolution). There's some bits that are refuge in Audacity like Jack Black as Joe Stalin doing a musical number because...why the fuck not? Also there's "Curb your Judaism" which is basically the lead up to Judas Betraying Jesus after the Last Supper but done as an episode of "Curb your Enthusiasm" which is something for sure.

But yeah, having fun with it and while not every joke lands, there's enough that are that make it worth it.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I watched episode 2 of The Mandalorian Season 3, and it was a marked improvement over the first, which was basically just a recap.

This episode had some decent action, and focused a lot on Bo-Katan, who is a much more competent warrior than Dinn Djarin has ever been shown to be. I think that she is really cool, and im looking forward to hopefully seeing a lot more of her in the future.

This episode also touched more on Dinn Djarin's adherence to the Mandalorian creed, which Bo-Katan has never really had much respect for. It is an interesting trait having the main character being the weird religious one.

Im curious as to where the rest of the season will go. The goal of having Dinn travel to Mandalore, and bathe in the waters in the mine has now been accomplished. Im interested to see where the next 8 episodes take us, because it is a complete mystery from here.

Otherwise, this episode was caught in the middle of weird review controversy, where IGN (not the most reputable organisation, I know) scored the episode a 5, stating that its lighting made the episode about as unwatchable as the Battle of Winterfell episode from Game of Thrones. I thought it was fine, my partner thought it was fine, and judging by a lot of comments, a lot of other people thought it was fine, too. IGN needs to sort out their displays, I guess!

Ultimately, I thought this was a solid episode.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The Pickman's Model episode of The Night Gallery.

In this version, the person interested in Pickman's work is a woman who totally fancies him, despite him telling her to clear off all the time, which is responsible. Like a lot of Lovecraft's stories, there's a Big Thing going on, only nobody knows and it's important that nobody does know...for some reason. The monsters in this don't seem to be that dangerous and the police or army, or random US gun club could probably deal with them.

Also, done in the 70s, and the US in the 70s maybe wasn't so great at doing period drama horror. The woman does a good job looking scared, though.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Ok...fine...fuck. Picard S03E04 is the closest thing Ive seen to an actual episode of Star Trek weve seen since paramount started this limpdick revival phase.

It's entirely serviceable and Ill admit Im actually curious to see where this goes.

I still dont like that Picard is this wistful ol' fool character. Ive read that this was Patrick Stewarts call. This nostalgic redemptive character thing was his idea and requirement for returning. I would argue that while people are capable of change, this grandpa picard shit is just completely west of who he was in NG and ultimately hes the weakest aspect of the show.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ok, been watching the Sharpe tv series, which isn't very good, but watchable, I guess.

In Sharpe's Gold, the writer, Nigel Kneale (of Quatermass fame) didn't like the book the story was going to be based on, so has Sharpe fight evil Aztecs. Ok.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
The monsters in this don't seem to be that dangerous and the police or army, or random US gun club could probably deal with them.
They're not overly dangerous in a physical way, but they are in a metaphysical way. It's hard to pull of (given our pre-established expectations in fictional universes), and I apppreciate Lovecraft's intent more than his actual achievements. But the simple breach of normality, the mere existence of Something Else™, is an ontological cataclysm.

There a lovely 1968 thriller unoriginally titled "The Power", which plot (now that I think of it) isn't too far from Cronenberg's "Scanners", involving humans with powerful telepathic abilities. Their attacks tend to alter reality around the victim, first in a rather innocuous way, but I found it was good at conveying the dread of the impossible. A sudenly missing table, a suddenly missing door, or a "walk/don't walk" signs that suddenly shows "don't run". Little things, but is grounded in a realistic world (or if happening in ours) range from frighteningly startling to mind-shattering.

So it's not about "oh here's a wild beast in the sewer let's deal with it", it's about "shit, all our beliefs about reality are false". Its about pulling the rug of rationality from under our feet. As such, the relatively low-key reality breach of Pickman's Model, at least in concept (more than execution), is one of my favorite in Lovecraft's work.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
That's fair, and I can't help but compare that story with all the other Lovecraft story (and imitators) I've read, which tend to go for big cosmic horror that overshadows it.

Having to keep everything a secret, though, is a cliche that gets tiring after a whie.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
That's fair, and I can't help but compare that story with all the other Lovecraft story (and imitators) I've read, which tend to go for big cosmic horror that overshadows it.

Having to keep everything a secret, though, is a cliche that gets tiring after a whie.
Yeah. Even though they share the same cosmology, I tend to take these stories in isolation. It's also why I don't like overblown crossovers in general. I'm a bit more okay with a superhero being unique with their odd secret power than these huge crowds of superheroes in dc/marvel comics that seemingly constitute 93% of mankind, top10-like. When the fantastic becomes mundane it ceases to be fantastic. We're also forced to do that with chronology : The universe of Doctor Who isn't sustainable if you take it as a whole - it's nice for one christmas special joke where londoners seem jaded about alien invasions, but if taken seriously it just alters the setting too much. Its backdrop becomes star trek's.

No way around that but cheating. Again, no fiction, no fantasy, survives scrutiny, overthinking or cohesion expectations. Back to to Tolkien/Rowlings discussions and all that...

(Also bob morane is 33 years old since 1953.)

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Actually, thinking back on it, the narrator of Pickman's Model portrays the ghouls as presenting a physical threat, saying he doesn't ever go underground anymore. Now, even if from the reader's point of view it is the fear of the strange that is at work, in-universe there's no reason why he couldn't have taken a more active response.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Ok, here's the thing: old super-successful comedians are just NOT GOOD any more.

Dave Chappelle, Louis C.K., Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, Bill Burr, Bill Maher, even Roseanne Barr- I used to idolize these people (yes, Barr was freaking brilliant back in her day).
I hung on their every word, saw them live, repeated their jokes. There were the truth-telling jesters reflecting society's foibles and pissing the right assholes off.
Now? They're old, spoiled, whiny, out-of-touch. They are the bitches. It's sad and disgusting.
OTOH, they haven’t really changed much when you think of it. Times have though, and through it all they are just doing the same old thing.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
OTOH, they haven’t really changed much when you think of it. Times have though, and through it all they are just doing the same old thing.
I do think they changed. They have shifted their entire focus into personal ego grievance. It used to be a just a piece of it but not the whole thing.