Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Interesting take. I don't think the show you've suggested would be interesting at all, i.e.: a "protagonist" so self-serving that he would cooperate with terrorists despite the risk to +100 other innocent people's lives? I mean, where would a show like that even go when, from the onset, you've established the main character isn't morally likeable? People don't go to the movies to see people do what most of us actually would do in crisis situations; we go to see heroes, and escape from reality and likelihoods. At some point the terrorists had to lose, but by your definition, that would be rote "playing it straight." So I guess you would have preferred a show about the woman who killed the pilot and re-hijacked the plane? Should she have crashed the plane and the terrorists (the guys released from prison on the ground) see their elaborate stock scheme through to their millions?

And while we're comparing, hot take: Die Hard is good, not great. I think it survives on nostalgia, its few quotable lines, and the ageless debate over whether it's a Christmas movie or not. Hotter take: I much prefer Die Hard With A Vengeance.
Die Hard 1 and 3 are both excellent. The original novel, Nothing Last Forever, the first movie is based off of does have a better story though. The only weak/terrible Die Hard movie is the fifth one. You can only find a few defenders with that one. One of them being either people in Indonesia or Malaysia. I forget which one. My mom likes all the movies though. She thinks none of them are bad.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
And while we're comparing, hot take: Die Hard is good, not great. I think it survives on nostalgia, its few quotable lines, and the ageless debate over whether it's a Christmas movie or not. Hotter take: I much prefer Die Hard With A Vengeance.
Die Hard influenced a lot of Die Hard on an X movies and TV episodes, to the extent they are named after it nowdays, though they did exist before it. Apparently it was also unusual in that the hero isn't superhuman (in the first one), he gets airsick and hurt and scared, with I'm told wasn't so much a thing back then.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Apparently it was also unusual in that the hero isn't superhuman (in the first one), he gets airsick and hurt and scared, with I'm told wasn't so much a thing back then.
It was a thing beforehand, but because of movies like Commando and Rambo: First Blood Part II, the norm was to have beefy near invincible heroes, who only get hurt by the rival character/villain and any injury is barely an inconvenience.

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
The Fall Of The House Of Usher (Netflix)

Netflix, at its best, has backed some great shows. Horror maestro Mike Flanagan was paid to produce a number of series, and to my deep and enduring sadness, this is apparently the last on his contract. It's fair to say that The Midnight Club was a little bit meh, and I appreciate that Midnight Mass was in ways very un-TVish (despite being my favourite), but even despite that these have been some premium TV experiences.

It is of course loosely based on the Edgar Allen Poe novel of the same name. The Ushers here are owners of a large pharmaceutical firm that has been peddling opioids called Perdue Fortunato, run by brother and sister Roderick and Madeleine. Inside the rotten edifice of their family are a bunch of grotesques who - and I can give this away because you're told almost immediately upon watching - are all doomed to die. If you're familiar with Poe's work, it's a constant series of references and influences from across Poe's works running throughout, plus some pretty scathing commentary on the rich and business elites. Some parts of it are just superb. I think maybe my favourite (so far, I haven't finished) is where the patriarch and CEO Roderick muses "If life gives you lemons" ... and explains what he would do would if he got lemons, in a viciously satirical monologue: see below. Flanagan reaches for a lot familiar faces from his other works, who put in sterling performances - plus, oh look, isn't that Mark Hamill as the gravelly-voiced corporate lawyer/fixer?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Interesting take. I don't think the show you've suggested would be interesting at all, i.e.: a "protagonist" so self-serving that he would cooperate with terrorists despite the risk to +100 other innocent people's lives? I mean, where would a show like that even go when, from the onset, you've established the main character isn't morally likeable? People don't go to the movies to see people do what most of us actually would do in crisis situations; we go to see heroes, and escape from reality and likelihoods. At some point the terrorists had to lose, but by your definition, that would be rote "playing it straight." So I guess you would have preferred a show about the woman who killed the pilot and re-hijacked the plane? Should she have crashed the plane and the terrorists (the guys released from prison on the ground) see their elaborate stock scheme through to their millions?

I don't really care if the main character is bad or not as long as they are interesting. People seemed to like that Joker movie even though I thought it was pretty garbage albeit a great acting performance. In a hijack scenario like the show or more so mini-series, I think having a passenger help the hijackers would be an interesting human study, like would that guy next to Elba's character actually get ballsy and do something because he gets mad at Elba and the whole situation, same with other passengers if Elba exposed one of their plans.

Blasphemy!!! Die Hard is amazing and I still watch it at least once a year. There's only a few minor things here and there I don't like about the movie. I love the fact that the main character is basically on his own and the movie plays that scenario rather realistically (for a movie). I don't think a movie has actually done that scenario better than Die Hard to this day (because the logic is that bigger is better). With that said, I don't have a problem saying Die Hard 3 is more entertaining as Bruce Willis being paired with Samuel L Jackson basically writes itself. I feel the same way, and this is probably blasphemous to many, about Ghostbusters 2 and Escape from LA, I fully recognize the 1st movies are better movies but I find the sequels more entertaining overall.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
The Fall Of The House Of Usher (Netflix)

Netflix, at its best, has backed some great shows. Horror maestro Mike Flanagan was paid to produce a number of series, and to my deep and enduring sadness, this is apparently the last on his contract. It's fair to say that The Midnight Club was a little bit meh, and I appreciate that Midnight Mass was in ways very un-TVish (despite being my favourite), but even despite that these have been some premium TV experiences.

It is of course loosely based on the Edgar Allen Poe novel of the same name. The Ushers here are owners of a large pharmaceutical firm that has been peddling opioids called Perdue Fortunato, run by brother and sister Roderick and Madeleine. Inside the rotten edifice of their family are a bunch of grotesques who - and I can give this away because you're told almost immediately upon watching - are all doomed to die. If you're familiar with Poe's work, it's a constant series of references and influences from across Poe's works running throughout, plus some pretty scathing commentary on the rich and business elites. Some parts of it are just superb. I think maybe my favourite (so far, I haven't finished) is where the patriarch and CEO Roderick muses "If life gives you lemons" ... and explains what he would do would if he got lemons, in a viciously satirical monologue: see below. Flanagan reaches for a lot familiar faces from his other works, who put in sterling performances - plus, oh look, isn't that Mark Hamill as the gravelly-voiced corporate lawyer/fixer?

It actually reminds me of @Dalisclock username’s tag line lol (although I was never truly aware of the full meaning of Cave’s quote.

Also just finished this last night. It’s up there for me with Haunting of Hill House, and yup there are a lot of good lines. It also is one of the better attempts at the increasingly common theme of rich A-Holes getting their comeuppance. Everyone played their parts well; especially Hamill and Gugino imo, who went out on a high note if this is really the last one for Flanagan.

Last edited:

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Watched the first three episodes of Kelsey Grammer's Frasier reboot that started airing last week and ... it's pretty funny so far.

The episodes so far felt like Frasier. There's something comfortable about them.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Still plodding through Shrinking. Power to everyone involved and Jason Segel and Jessica Williams have great chemistry... but when something just isn't for you, it's not for you. I don't like how everybody is besties with everybody. I don't like the constant shitting on the protagonist. I don't like the waxwork formerly known as Christa Miller. And I especially don't like how 85% of every problem that happens in this show could be avoided if people bothered knocking on doors. Too much barging in on people for manufactured drama.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Watched the first three episodes of Kelsey Grammer's Frasier reboot that started airing last week and ... it's pretty funny so far.

The episodes so far felt like Frasier. There's something comfortable about them.
I thought it was meant to be a continuation of the original show.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Still plodding through Shrinking. Power to everyone involved and Jason Segel and Jessica Williams have great chemistry... but when something just isn't for you, it's not for you. I don't like how everybody is besties with everybody. I don't like the constant shitting on the protagonist. I don't like the waxwork formerly known as Christa Miller. And I especially don't like how 85% of every problem that happens in this show could be avoided if people bothered knocking on doors. Too much barging in on people for manufactured drama.
Wait till you see the last episode. A comedy. Hrmm.
Gen V on Prime Video
A fellow piece to The Boys but in college. Reminds me of the book series Super Powereds but with more blood, gore, and adults you cannot trust. Kids in college with compound V created super powers learning to be The Seven type supers in a corporate world where the good guys may not be.

B+ I'm enjoying it. 6/8 done. 2 Fridays to go. Y'know you're getting old when you want to skip the naughty scenes muttering, "get on with the story already!!" They appear to be weaving in the ultimate plot of the comic series. And we get a really fun cameo.

Soldier Boy is a fantasy creation in a shared dream of sorts. Still as profane and based as ever.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
I thought it was meant to be a continuation of the original show.
My apologies for my confusing use of words.

The show is indeed a continuation of the original show. The story picks up roughly 18ish? years after the end of the show.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
My apologies for my confusing use of words.

The show is indeed a continuation of the original show. The story picks up roughly 18ish? years after the end of the show.
All good. It amuses me to a weird degree that Frasier Crane, one of THE television liberals is played by one of the industries biggest conservative actors. Kelsey Grammer is a wild kind of guy.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Also just finished this last night. It’s up there for me with Haunting of Hill House, and yup there are a lot of good lines. It also is one of the better attempts at the increasingly common theme of rich A-Holes getting their comeuppance. Everyone played their parts well; especially Hamill and Gugino imo, who went out on a high note if this is really the last one for Flanagan.
I have to believe that Flanagan will carry on doing what he does. But how and where and whether it works so well is hard to say.

I like the limited series format as a general rule. Gets a good story done, and then it is done, rather than dragged out to ever diminishing returns. I think having a steady cast across projects can often be very effective too, as the whole team can know how each other operate and how to get the best out of each other. Also that they probably need to be good actors, because if you're getting a limited number of people to fulfill varied roles, they have to know their craft in order to fit those roles.

I think one thing is in TFOTHOU that for all the offsprings' sins, they are not entirely bad people? There is perhaps sympathy available to them in that they have positive traits, and are in a sense victims of having been fucked up by their awful father and aunt. There's even an element of classic tragedy, hubris/nemesis: many of them teeter on the brink of avoiding their grisly fate, but are overcome by their flaws and do not back down.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I have to believe that Flanagan will carry on doing what he does. But how and where and whether it works so well is hard to say.

I like the limited series format as a general rule. Gets a good story done, and then it is done, rather than dragged out to ever diminishing returns. I think having a steady cast across projects can often be very effective too, as the whole team can know how each other operate and how to get the best out of each other. Also that they probably need to be good actors, because if you're getting a limited number of people to fulfill varied roles, they have to know their craft in order to fit those roles.

I think one thing is in TFOTHOU that for all the offsprings' sins, they are not entirely bad people? There is perhaps sympathy available to them in that they have positive traits, and are in a sense victims of having been fucked up by their awful father and aunt. There's even an element of classic tragedy, hubris/nemesis: many of them teeter on the brink of avoiding their grisly fate, but are overcome by their flaws and do not back down.
That’s the rub we’re left to ponder, whether it was all by “design” or if Verna was generally just predicting how this tragedy plays out. There are little hints towards the latter, as she comments during at least one or two death scenes that she thought of doing it *some other way* but some of their worst deeds forfeited any mercifulness. They are victims of unforeseen consequences on one hand but karma is also a relevant theme here; they weren’t exactly Dahmer but these bastards were pretty soulless (another theme, selling one’s soul and how that can be passed down via one’s actions, neglect, etc.).

Once that deal was made the fates were sealed, and how they got there was rather trivial. The most intriguing character to me though was Arthur. He was the Ushers’ “fixer” but Roderick also made the point of telling that story about his globe trotting expedition, which has significance as it gives him an air of almost transcendental mystique, after which he was reigned in to serve. Of course the Ushers got away with everything (another more contemporary theme of the rich and powerful evading justice) but how much of it was Pym the man working his magic vs simply being guided by fate. Vera was impressed enough with him regardless to grant a small act of mercy, as he was the only one who took responsibility for his actions and remained unbeholden.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Might have put this in the movie section, but I'll put it here.

Disney's Bayou Boy or The Boy from Dead Man's Bayou

Some ramshackle village in a bayou somewhere is rebuilding after being hit by a hurricane, killing the titular boy's father, and others, and destroying the church. The church had a fancy bell made of silver the boy's father made with silver collected from the townsfolk.

The boy wants to get the bell back, to make his father proud, (his father appearing in a dream telling him to go and get it), only the bell is guarded by an alligator.

Ok, you probably guess that after much mucking about the boy gets the bell back for the new church. Only...to do this he gets a magic spell from a non-christian to protect him from the evil spirits in the area, a storm appears to drive him from the area and he says that "someone doesn't want us to find the bell". And once he leaves with the bell the alligator chases after him.

Like, I'm pretty sure they didn't mean to imply this, but is the bell cursed? Is the new church and village going to be eaten by monsters? The story ends just after the new bell is put in place, but apart from being a Disney film, it'd not be out of place at all is something bad happened or it turned out the silver was from a pirate-witches goad or something.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
South Park: Joining the Panderverse - 10/10

"Put a chick in it and make it gay! And I want it lame!"

Trey Parker specializes saying what everyone is thinking but doesn't want to say, and the Panderverse is exactly that. I'm surprised how specific they went with all the Kathleen Kennedy shit, that was hilarious and I don't even care about her and Star Wars (I don't even like the original trilogy) but it was still fucking hilarious. The extra long episode hit on pretty much everything from pandering (obviously) to how no one actually knows how to do anything these days and how college is rather pointless. Even since I went to college 20 years ago, I found it pretty pointless back then let alone now. Back when I went, it was very affordable and I never even had any college debt. But even then I saw that at least half the classes were pointless because it was stuff I knew I would never need or stuff I already learned in high school, and the required electives and stuff is basically just there so it takes you an extra couples years to graduate so they get more money out of you. I never actually advised anyone to not go to college due to companies wanting it but I have always told people college is the least efficient way to learn anything. Though nowadays with how expensive college is, I really don't think it's worth it anymore.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Upload (Season 3)

Upload is one of those B-tier shows that I'm always happy to watch more of it even though I completely forget about them between seasons. Same with Space Force and Made For Love, both of which are now cancelled. There's something cozy about watching a show that's good enough to pass the time and the characters are likable enough and kinda follow the plot but deep down you don't care that much about it.

So Upload is basically The Matrix if it was modeled as a luxury hotel for dead people, who get to upload to a digital afterlife (with personalized 24/7 customer service from reps wearing VR headsets, which doesn't sound practical at all). Season 1 has the protagonist get forcibly "uploaded" by a possessive girlfriend who goes on to sugar momma his existence in the afterlife, and much of the tension in season 1 has to do with the relationship becoming a literal matter of life or death - while the dude falls for his customer service rep, who can provide more companionship in the afterlife than his self-absorbed girlfriend ever can in her off time, with a VR suit.

Without spoiling much, by season 3 a lot of this tension has dissipated. Characters have been cloned, distances have been shortened, secrets have been disclosed, every charade has ended, there's just no material left to fuel a comedy of errors anymore. Sure, there's a ticking time bomb element for the protagonist but pretty much every character has more or less everything they want by now. I'd say the show now spends most of its time in the real world, dealing with a big tech conspiracy that just isn't as interesting as the original Midsummer Night's Dream-like predicament of magically rotating couples/identities/intentions.

Reactions: Ag3ma

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
South Park: Joining the Panderverse - 10/10

"Put a chick in it and make it gay! And I want it lame!"

Trey Parker specializes saying what everyone is thinking but doesn't want to say, and the Panderverse is exactly that. I'm surprised how specific they went with all the Kathleen Kennedy shit, that was hilarious and I don't even care about her and Star Wars (I don't even like the original trilogy) but it was still fucking hilarious. The extra long episode hit on pretty much everything from pandering (obviously) to how no one actually knows how to do anything these days and how college is rather pointless. Even since I went to college 20 years ago, I found it pretty pointless back then let alone now. Back when I went, it was very affordable and I never even had any college debt. But even then I saw that at least half the classes were pointless because it was stuff I knew I would never need or stuff I already learned in high school, and the required electives and stuff is basically just there so it takes you an extra couples years to graduate so they get more money out of you. I never actually advised anyone to not go to college due to companies wanting it but I have always told people college is the least efficient way to learn anything. Though nowadays with how expensive college is, I really don't think it's worth it anymore.
^This. It was actually really funny and poignant. The handymen had me in stitches.