Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I just binged The Mandalorian again, in preparation for season 2 dropping in two weeks. It’s still damn, damn good. The planet of the week format worked, Cara Dune is a great character and I want more of her.

Loved it, give me more

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 3, 2020
Country
United States
Scully in season 8 I find weird, though. Such a 180 degree turnaround just because she's trying to fill Mulder's shoes in his absence. It's she who comes up with the crazy answers now. I just don't find it believable after she's been rebutting Mulder with weak scientific explanations for seven years.

Gethsemani

Hardcore Feminazi
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
Sweden
Scully in season 8 I find weird, though. Such a 180 degree turnaround just because she's trying to fill Mulder's shoes in his absence. It's she who comes up with the crazy answers now. I just don't find it believable after she's been rebutting Mulder with weak scientific explanations for seven years.
I never got around to seeing all of season 8, but by season 7 it was pretty clear that Scully was not exactly a skeptic anymore. She was often quick to latch onto the idea that something conventional science didn't know about/understand was the culprit in the mystery and she never was a skeptic when it came to religious stuff (where she and Mulder switched roles). The idea that she would push conspiracies when paired with a straight laced, massive skeptic isn't that far out, considering all that she had seen in the last 7 years while at the X-files.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezekiel

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Apr 5, 2020
down a well
Country
Northumbria
I watched the first episode of Chop: Britain's Top Woodworker. The series uses the established format of Making Stuff + Weekly Elimination, and it was pretty fun to watch. I could see this inspiring people to try woodworking as a hobby.

Unfortunately the next episode has been pulled from the schedules as it turns out one of the contestants might have Nazi tattoos on his face. Although to be fair he does seem like a nice guy.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 7, 2020
Actually given the amount of direct, confirmable things she has been exposed to in that show, for her to continue to be skeptical felt more out of character. I mean I remember being REALLY annoyed with how blatant they were with keeping her the token "skeptic", in the movie they did. Where they are at the end, laying in the snow, and the fucking alien ship literally flies up in front of them, clearly visible. Mulder looks up, sees it, and tells Scully to look....and...she just refuses to do so. Which pissed me off on 2 levels. 1. Because fucking come on, it's RIGHT THERE! Look up!! 2. It's another example of how hollywood equates skeptic with "stubborn refusal to believe things". I mean it's clearly framed that she's just refusing to look at the evidence in front of her because....reasons. But that's not skepticism. That's obstinate denial, refusing to see what is in front of you. A skeptic is happy to believe in something as being real...when given credible evidence it exists. A skeptic is NOT someone that just flatly refuses to believe something that contradicts their world view, even when given evidence. That's what non-skeptics do.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 3, 2020
Country
United States
Actually given the amount of direct, confirmable things she has been exposed to in that show, for her to continue to be skeptical felt more out of character. I mean I remember being REALLY annoyed with how blatant they were with keeping her the token "skeptic", in the movie they did. Where they are at the end, laying in the snow, and the fucking alien ship literally flies up in front of them, clearly visible. Mulder looks up, sees it, and tells Scully to look....and...she just refuses to do so. Which pissed me off on 2 levels. 1. Because fucking come on, it's RIGHT THERE! Look up!! 2. It's another example of how hollywood equates skeptic with "stubborn refusal to believe things". I mean it's clearly framed that she's just refusing to look at the evidence in front of her because....reasons. But that's not skepticism. That's obstinate denial, refusing to see what is in front of you. A skeptic is happy to believe in something as being real...when given credible evidence it exists. A skeptic is NOT someone that just flatly refuses to believe something that contradicts their world view, even when given evidence. That's what non-skeptics do.
I just found her explanations laughable at times. They really made me laugh out loud sometimes. Yes, it became ridiculous. I kept asking myself why Mulder didn't take a camera with him anywhere in his search for the truth about aliens, but I realized she STILL would have told him the pictures were fake.

Still feels strange, though, even after season seven. Like Scully telling Doggett in the first few minutes of "Patience" (the man bat episode) that perhaps it wasn't a man who killed the victim or her telling him in the beginning of "Salvage" that the car was stopped by a person.

Untitled.png

I would expect Mulder to come to those answers so fast, but not someone like Scully. She'd first try to come up with five different other explanations. Because that's who the writers made her over nearly seven years.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 7, 2020
I just found her explanations laughable at times. They really made me laugh out loud sometimes. Yes, it became ridiculous. I kept asking myself why Mulder didn't take a camera with him anywhere in his search for the truth about aliens, but I realized she STILL would have told him the pictures were fake.

Still feels strange, though, even after season seven. Like Scully telling Doggett in the first few minutes of "Patience" (the man bat episode) that perhaps it wasn't a man who killed the victim or her telling him in the beginning of "Salvage" that the car was stopped by a person.

View attachment 1290

I would expect Mulder to come to those answers so fast, but not someone like Scully. She'd first try to come up with five different other explanations. Because that's who the writers made her after seven years.
Eh, again, given the extreme insanity of that show, and how many truly bizarre, and supernatural events she was there, first hand to witness, after 7 years, I don't find her shift that extreme. Leading up to it, her stubbornness felt more unrealistic to me. But you have to remember, they set up her character to be the foil to Mulder's "I want to believe" trope of the Misunderstood Hero. So she had to scoff at everything, so she could then be proven wrong for the audience, to further make Mulder's batshit theories seem more plausible in this reality.

I kind of stopped watching around....shit I don't even recall, the show didn't hold my interest for too long to be honest, but I recall being at least somewhat pleased with her considering alternate theories, given the world she lived in. Her "skepticism" bordered on pathological denial to me.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
Apr 6, 2020
Country
USA
Monsterland is on Hulu. Very mixed bag. Maybe slightly above average. They're trying to say something but what comes out is muted, dull, not scary, very high production values for a meh product. 5.5/10

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Brisbane
Walking Dead (season... I don’t know. Can’t keep up.)

I no longer watch this week to week. I just wait for the whole season to drop. Apparently this season was a bit warped as there was a new series of the Walking Dead that had to be delayed due to COVID... I didn’t realise til after I watched the season so I don’t think it mattered.

Anyway, just as good as Negan’s war. And the Governor... which is to say 6 to 7/10. God, there are some Teflon characters that end up being more important than their personality belies. Their trying their best without many of the main characters they used to rely on but... it’s the same problem. Repeated dips into personality flaws that is very reminiscent of Bojack Houseman...and become tiresome