Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Truth Seekers

Does the British thing of thinking quirky = funny, like Good Omens. Example: the name Elton John. Quirky. But is it funny? The show dies trying. Also would've been way better if it was Nick Frost and Simon Pegg, instead of Nick Frost and some guy.
The moments with Simon Pegg are the best part of every episode. Unfortunately that's about 1 minute per episode that's funny, if that, because not even all of the Simon Pegg bits hit.

Yeah, I watched the whole thing, and really tried to like it, but it doesn't get any better as it goes on, and I won't bother with a second season if they end up making one.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The moments with Simon Pegg are the best part of every episode. Unfortunately that's about 1 minute per episode that's funny, if that, because not even all of the Simon Pegg bits hit.

Yeah, I watched the whole thing, and really tried to like it, but it doesn't get any better as it goes on, and I won't bother with a second season if they end up making one.
No worries there, Frost confirmed earlier this year the show was already cancelled.

Weird to see them so doggedly NOT play to their strengths. Even the blocking and editing felt like discount Edgar Wright. All very snappy and deliberate yet missing the comedic beat every time.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
No worries there, Frost confirmed earlier this year the show was already cancelled.

Weird to see them so doggedly NOT play to their strengths. Even the blocking and editing felt like discount Edgar Wright. All very snappy and deliberate yet missing the comedic beat every time.
The biggest problem with it is that it always felt like it was actually going somewhere, but it made a right turn every time it was about to be interesting and clever. It was like they were purposefully setting up jokes in order to not make them.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Finished Goliath, season 1.
The writing is on the level of an airport novel: fast-paced, lurid, sensational, every other episode ends on a cliffhanger. And everybody's fucking! Billy Bob Thornton is fucking his client, his lesbian ex is fucking the defense team, he employs a whore and sics her on a bunch of dudes, etc.
Fair is fair, I binged the 8 hours faster than any other show in recent memory. But then I'm depressed.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Watched Baelin's Route with the wifey last night.

It's a very fun little video, for anyone familiar with MMO's, and the weird logic and rules they operate under.

My head canon is that the reason Baelin is so OP, is that he's a memorial character, for one of the game devs. They had a dad who died, and so they made an NPC of him in the game, because he loved fishing IRL, and so they wanted to memorialize him in the game world. So, Baelin just spends his day, happily fishing, but he's OP as fuck, because the dev didn't want people farming his dad's NPC for easy xp.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Watching season 2 of Goliath, which makes season one look like a documentary. We've gone from a relatively traditional legal procedural about an underdog lawyer putting a case together in order to sue the big bad weapons company, represented by his old crooked firm to... I don't know what season 2 is about, but it involves all this morbid shit that makes the show look like kiddy table Hannibal trying to impress adult table Hannibal. The legal drama isn't interesting or engaging, doesn't amount to much and vanishes by the halfway mark to be replaced by this Hannibal/Sicario/S2 True Detective crime thriller cocktail that can't seem to focus on anything.

It still has that airport novel/trashy page turner quality to it, but the downgrade and Grand Guignol antics means nothing feels authentic anymore, meaning the stakes are gone and everything feels like it's for show.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Started "Black Summer" Season 2 today. Black Summer is a very uneven, odd duck zombie show. It doesn't have the traditional zombie sci-fi whatever show plot where it's all about a central narrative and protagonists that your following for the length of the series. It's told through a series of hyper paced vignettes with zero context. You have to pay attention to what's immediately happening on screen and try to absorb what's going on to understand the plot. There's often little or no dialog. There's a particularly infuriating episode in season one thats entirely about a complete moron of a man being chased by a zombie. That's it. Lots of running and terrible decisions. It's very buster Keaton. Then there's a kind of ingenious story later on involving a Korean woman who speaks no english but through her actions and expressions she the other survivors communicate well, if hilarious misunderstanding occurs at times.

The first seasons vignettes largely culminate in a fairly satisfying ending for what's left of the characters. Enough to make you crave more while kind of hating the format.

Season 2 kicks off with a rapid fire succession of micro stories introducing you to new characters and killing them off before you even get their names only to show you the vignettes was actually introducing you to a different character. I'm into it. It's...very different television. It doesn't follow a structure I've really seen in modern television. I'm not saying it's good but I'd definitely recommend it to people who like complexity and nonlinear storytelling..just don't get attached to any person you see on screen.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
New episode of Rick and Morty is out on YouTube for some reason.

Was okay I guess, horny bi-sexual Aquaman who is still competent is fun. But the sci-fi element of the episode was kind of a letdown after we got a similar concept recently in Invincible.

But it was free, so who am I to complain.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

It's quite refreshing to see someone actually voicing my thoughts on those games, and obsidian in general, and their fanboys. I honestly thought I was the lone person, screaming in the fields about this.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

It's quite refreshing to see someone actually voicing my thoughts on those games, and obsidian in general, and their fanboys. I honestly thought I was the lone person, screaming in the fields about this.
Haven't watched the video, but it's one of those few videos whose title gives up the entirety of its content in a short blurb. I never understood the love for FO:NV and the retroactive loathing for FO3. The former is literally just more of the latter! FO:NV just feels like FO3 DLC, but for some reason, the masses feel like it was a massively necessary righting of a ship that wasn't that far off course (if at all) to begin with. If one prefers FO:NV over FO3, that's fine, but acting like they're different enough that one is amazing and the other garbage is a stretch to say the least. It's like saying Cindy Crawford with her signature mole is gorgeous, then saying she's hideous when you see a picture of her with the mole Photoshopped out.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Haven't watched the video, but it's one of those few videos whose title gives up the entirety of its content in a short blurb. I never understood the love for FO:NV and the retroactive loathing for FO3. The former is literally just more of the latter! FO:NV just feels like FO3 DLC, but for some reason, the masses feel like it was a massively necessary righting of a ship that wasn't that far off course (if at all) to begin with. If one prefers FO:NV over FO3, that's fine, but acting like they're different enough that one is amazing and the other garbage is a stretch to say the least. It's like saying Cindy Crawford with her signature mole is gorgeous, then saying she's hideous when you see a picture of her with the mole Photoshopped out.
Pretty much my thoughts. I personally didn't really enjoy NV, and really loved FO3. I don't have a problem with people preferring NV, but I do have issues with people vilifying FO3 the way they do, especially when a lot of the things they criticize....NV does exactly the same way, but gets no flak.

Still, they were well done videos, that were level headed, reasonable, explained pros and cons without devolving to frothing nerd rage.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The innocent part of me would like to think Hollywood honestly doesn't realize how shallow it's become and is just doing what it's doing because it inexplicably has netted them tons of cash for the past couple of decades, so "if it ain't broke..." and whatnot. But my dominant, realistic side knows better and that this video, while satire, is likely pretty representative of the state of things in Hollywood.

Last edited:

Shy-Gamer

Jun 17, 2021
Just watched The Blacklist season finale, does anybody else here watch this show? Anyway, I thought it was pretty good, but fans are losing their shit over the fact that they killed Elizabeth Keen, which I thought was fine given that Megan Boone was leaving and the character arc was always her losing her way and plunging into the criminal world. Now she paid the price for it, even if she rejected killing Red and becoming his heir moments before dying. They're also complaining about the heavy implication that Reddington's true identity is Katarina Rostova, Keen's mother. This one is trickier but the clues were always there which is why many people bet in that direction, and it's probably the only answer that makes sense of all series twists and turns.

I feel like pretty much every single "big mistery" show ends up hated by its fans, everyone projects way too many expectations and crazy theories into it for way too much time, and no matter what the answer is at the end, a huge percentage of fans end up disappointed.

Edit: this is my first time using the spoiler tag, did I do something wrong? The parts that should be just hidden behind a click are completely gone... which, you know, is better than them showing up normally and spoiling things for people, but it's not what I wanted either.

Edit 2: never mind, tried it again and worked this time with the "inline" option

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
New episode of Rick and Morty is out on YouTube for some reason.

Was okay I guess, horny bi-sexual Aquaman who is still competent is fun. But the sci-fi element of the episode was kind of a letdown after we got a similar concept recently in Invincible.

But it was free, so who am I to complain.
Just watched it too, and I liked it quite a bit. Particularly the line "I haven't been to a full week of school in years! I don't know shit!" Haven't watched "Invincible," so can't complain in that direction; felt like a new "Rick and Morty" and didn't disappoint. And their opening the door for Beth and Jerry exploring their relationship without the angst and resentment of previous seasons (which I know hasn't gone away; too much material there) was interesting.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
And their opening the door for Beth and Jerry exploring their relationship without the angst and resentment of previous seasons (which I know hasn't gone away; too much material there) was interesting.
Now that you mention it, I completely forgot Space Beth didn't show up. I was expecting the threesome jokes to start there. Guess we'll see her in the finale like usual.

OT: I watched Justice Society: World War II. Seems like the first big step in this new DCAU. I'm really enjoying the art style, and the animation is genuinely the best we've gotten from DC in a long time. The story and characters though, eh could use some work. But overall, I enjoyed it and I'm excited to see more DC movies in this vein. Even if it is another two Batman movies straight away lmao (but hey, Long Halloween, loved that run).

Oh, and they made Iris black in this DCAU. Which is... interesting. I wonder how long it'll be before that reaches the comics too. I really hate this kind of thing, when Marvel started changing their comics to look more like the MCU, it really took me out of it. It doesn't help that the CW's Iris West was one of the worst things about the show, she's the last version of the character that I want to see copied throughout mediums.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
If I were Captain America previously known as the Falcon, I would have let those people on the armored truck die. Fuckiugn greedy, corrupt, and selfish as well as power-hungry world leaders.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Captain America lol, more like Captain protect the status quo.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Apparently, a second season of Blark and Son dropped on YouTube early this year, and my YT algorithm couldn't be arsed to tell me about it.

Blark is an extremely obsessive and overbearing father (like, clinically so,) and Son is his, well, son, a typical anti-social gamer kid who just wants to be left alone by his dad. Blark is constantly trying to bond with Son and getting them into some pretty hairy and absurd situations. It's comedy gold.