Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Just had a conversation about American Horror Story on FX and Hulu. I just found out Season 2 has been approved for spin-off American Horror Stories on FX and Hulu. I did not even know about these. They're supposed to be a single story per episode. I checked the 1st two and they're a part 1 and 2. Very silly and titillating and bloody episodes that include the "Murder House" from AHS Season 1. Fun call back but don't try to analyze the lore too much. 6.5/10.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
"How to Use Dianetics" VHS rip

No point in mincing words, this is a classic Scientology cult indoctrination video. It makes less sense as it goes on, invents its own glossary of terms upon which it slowly leans on more as time progresses, and is filled with performances from, to put it politely: actors trying their best to imitate aliens trying to imitate humans.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend watching it without some serious psy-trance or progressive heady EDM mixtures of sound for background music and a solid collection of drugs and/or alcohol. As this could easily be mistakenly for the result of a deteriorating artificial intelligence attempting to recreate its final interpretation of humanity from 60s sitcoms and local advertisments, with the sole intention of luring unsuspecting bodies towards its meat-to-fuel bioprocessing grinder. In a way reminds me of those mini clips in the videogame Control where they try to teach the basics of the void using creepy childrens' ...toys? Puppets? Anthropomorphised clumps of trash? Anyway, best horror since I last checked the news! 8/10! Do not watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
"How to Use Dianetics" VHS rip
I tried to read the book "Dianetics". It was a total mess, and I couldn't get through it.

I also read Battlefield Earth that I got from the library when I was 13 or something, before I had even heard of L. Ron, never mind that he was also a crazy cult leader. Don't remember it much, except I found it pretty dull.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I tried to read the book "Dianetics". It was a total mess, and I couldn't get through it.

I also read Battlefield Earth that I got from the library when I was 13 or something, before I had even heard of L. Ron, never mind that he was also a crazy cult leader. Don't remember it much, except I found it pretty dull.
Well my lost and vulnerable flock escapee, now you can go through Dianetics once again with the help of the "How to use Dianetics" official instruction video! No more stumbling around in the dark for you, The Truth awaits beyond the palisade of your complete submission.

ezgif.com-gif-maker-55.jpg

You really should seek out a career as a critic. I think your unique brand of verbose ambiguousness would be really refreshing amongst the unpleasable stuffed-shirts who know better than everyone else we have now.
A friend has advised me to try and take compliments more politely these days. But they have the worst taste and so do you! Ahah! (Sorry, ok, I'll like your post, but rest assured it's not without great discomfort and suspicion) 😉

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
A friend has advised me to try and take compliments more politely these days. But they have the worst taste and so do you! Ahah! (Sorry, ok, I'll like your post, but rest assured it's not without great discomfort and suspicion) 😉
I'll take that as a compliment!

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Nine Perfect Strangers: S1: E6

This is certainly an interesting show...

It started off as a quirky-if-austere "dramedy," but has evolved into a genuine intrigue-drama. It keeps you guessing, and every second feels like something's about to come to a head, and you can't look away. Thankfully, it's a miniseries, because the way things are going, you couldn't pull off multiple seasons if you tried. Some really great acting from the entire cast if some of them are under-utilized thus far, but the way things are going, it only feels like a matter of time.

Oh, and you get to see Nicole Kidman's butt; always a plus.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Watching the HBO Animated Series of Todd MacFarlane's Spawn

The most Grimdark of all Grimdark Edgy Superheroes. Darker and Edgier then Punisher.

But goddamn this show is like the grimdark/adult take of all the Superhero cartoons that came out in the 1990s.

Like Batman the Animated Series, X-Men and Spiderman Animated Series, etc. and HBO went like "Hey we wanna do something like that too"

Helps that the creator of Spawn had a direct hand in the show's creation. Also the show is MILES better then that shitty movie.

And yes this show is good. Now I get the reason why Spawn was a popular character and a breakout series for the then new Image Comics.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Mega Man: Season 1 (3/5)

A blue hero fights a mad doctor and his army of robots. Strangely enough, this isn't a description of a Sonic cartoon.

That said, the two have a lot in common besides the above, including, but not limited to, cheesy one-liners, simple stories, and a "kewl" approach to storytelling. I never grew up with Mega Man, but I could imagine myself in an alternate reality having done so and loving this cartoon. But as an adult, it's meh.

I'm going to mention that it's arguably given me more appreciation for Astro Boy (which, apparently, was an inspiration for Mega Man). I mean, I'd sooner watch this than Astro Boy, but AB at least delved into worldbuilding and themes, even if those themes were simple. This, however, isn't interested in that. It's set in what's more or less the modern day (well, modern for the 90s I guess), with robots being an everyday occurance, but worldbuilding isn't on its list of priorities. Which is fine, I guess, I don't believe anyone really looks to Mega Man for worldbuilding or in-depth stories (maybe X, I dunno), but, yeah.

Also, Proto Man's a dick, and I love him for it. Even if his schtick seems to be that he keeps telling Mega Man that he should join "the winning team/side," even though said team loses at the end of every episode. Um...okay?

Anyway, meh.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Watching the HBO Animated Series of Todd MacFarlane's Spawn

The most Grimdark of all Grimdark Edgy Superheroes. Darker and Edgier then Punisher.

But goddamn this show is like the grimdark/adult take of all the Superhero cartoons that came out in the 1990s.

Like Batman the Animated Series, X-Men and Spiderman Animated Series, etc. and HBO went like "Hey we wanna do something like that too"

Helps that the creator of Spawn had a direct hand in the show's creation. Also the show is MILES better then that shitty movie.

And yes this show is good. Now I get the reason why Spawn was a popular character and a breakout series for the then new Image Comics.
Too bad it never got a 4th and definitive final season. Too many plot lines waiting at the end of season 3.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Community.

I finally got around to watching this and I've finished the first two seasons and starting on the third. It took a few episodes to find it's footing but it's quite entertaining now. The group dynamic works well at playing off each other, even if it's often very dysfunctional. Seeing Old Racist/Sexist Chevy Chase is....something(I didn't realize Chevy Chase was still working, honestly). It is kinda amazing how like none of the staff are remotely qualified for their jobs and a good portion of them are downright scary or crazy. Of course, special mention goes to Ben Chang(Previously Senor Chang) who started out as the asshole Spanish Teacher and somehow turned into a race by the writers/actor to see just how much of a human trainwreck his character can turn into and by god is it fascinating to watch.

Also, I felt really weird catching the "My Dinner with Andre" homage/parody before it was mentioned because it means someone other than myself has actually seen that movie(so apparently Me and Dan Harmon).

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room.

It was pretty depressing how these arseholes made so much money while getting away with so much shit. But then I watched the youtube video where the Cookie Monster sings along to Tom Wait's God's Away on Business, which cheered me up.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Watching Rick and Morty season 5... Just realized the show in essence has become that "Two Brothers" movie from the interdimensional cable episode, where absurd situations keep randomly appearing and piling on top of each other. And while I would never refer to the early seasons as restrained they certainly felt more focused.

I also miss the relatively grounded family dynamic. By now every character is just another sidekick for Rick.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Also, I felt really weird catching the "My Dinner with Andre" homage/parody before it was mentioned because it means someone other than myself has actually seen that movie(so apparently Me and Dan Harmon).
I saw the movie for the first time about a week ago. It's a one of a kind experience.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I saw the movie for the first time about a week ago. It's a one of a kind experience.
I have to wonder how that got greenlit.
"So I'm gonna make a 2 hour movie about two guys talking over dinner. That's it. That's the entire film".
"How much do you want to make it?"
"I need about $3.50"
"Done"

Unless it was basically an indie film at the time.

Last edited:

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I have to wonder how that got greenlit.
"So I'm gonna make a 2 hour movie about two guys talking over dinner. That's it. That's the entire film".
"How much do you want to make it?"
"I need about $3.50"
"Done"

Unless it was basically an indie film at the time.
I think what it is, Shawn and Gregory had a long history of collaborating in theater by the point they decided to write My Dinner with Andre (and all of the journeys and experiences Andre describes having are apparently true to life; everything they say about their lives is pretty much factual, characters and emotions aside). Whether they envisioned it originally as a play or a movie I don't know. I guess it's not that big of a leap from "filmed theater", which used to be more commonplace in the 60s/70s when the whole process became quicker, cheaper and generally more accessible so it created an indie scene. The real wonder is how the hell they swung Louis Malle as the director, who would've been coming in hot from Pretty Baby in 1981.

Reactions: Dalisclock