Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
He made some interesting points about the feasibility of the liquid as presented in the film, and it's got a few drawbacks, but the coolest thing to me, was learning that it had promising applications in neo-natal care for premature babies, who were born at a stage in development where their lungs are underdeveloped. That apparently using the fluid oxygen showed significant improvement in their survivability, and development stages.
This, and using aerosolized PFC as a potential method of treatment for patients with lung injuries and chronic lung conditions such as COPD.

But really, one major potential application directly relevant to the "sub-topic" is its potential use for long-term and long-distance space travel...namely, radiation shielding and helping the human body cope with sustained high-G forces. And I'm going with gut feeling here and raw speculation, but it would likely have a place in medically-induced comas (i.e. hibernation) for long-distance travel as well.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
This, and using aerosolized PFC as a potential method of treatment for patients with lung injuries and chronic lung conditions such as COPD.

But really, one major potential application directly relevant to the "sub-topic" is its potential use for long-term and long-distance space travel...namely, radiation shielding and helping the human body cope with sustained high-G forces. And I'm going with gut feeling here and raw speculation, but it would likely have a place in medically-induced comas (i.e. hibernation) for long-distance travel as well.
Yeah, if we do ever lick the technicals about hibernation/cryo, it will very likely involve some kind of fluid replacement to sustain organ viability at extreme temps. I've always theorized that virtual reality and neural implants will probably be necessary, as it might not be viable to completely put an entire crew under medical coma, for years. It might require to keep the brain, at at least some level of cognitive functionality to prevent isnanity, or death. But they might go crazy, if they are awake and dreaming for long periods of time, without any consciousness. So a workaround might be to have a VR MMO type setup, where everyone can live a psuedo life in the virtual, to maintain sanity and mental faculties, while the rest of their body is put into a much deeper level of freeze.

I've been bouncing around an idea for a LitRPG of that setup for a while, just haven't actually hashed it out onto the page.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I actually saw a video about that recently.

He made some interesting points about the feasibility of the liquid as presented in the film, and it's got a few drawbacks, but the coolest thing to me, was learning that it had promising applications in neo-natal care for premature babies, who were born at a stage in development where their lungs are underdeveloped. That apparently using the fluid oxygen showed significant improvement in their survivability, and development stages.

that's actually one of the things I find the coolest about speculative scifi, and how we reverse engineer it. How people will go in trying to make X thing, based on some scifi thing. And in the process, they can't quite make X, because the science just doesn't work that way. But they end up coming up with some awesome thing for Z, and steer their development and research that way. So fucking cool.

But yeah, there have been a lot of YT videos about how impressively accurate the Expanse is, scientifically. It's not perfect no, and has to take some liberties with stuff for narrative reasons, etc. But compared to most scifi shows, it's probably the most accurate, within the limitations of the medium.
Well, as long it’s not blood from a giant alien nailed to a cross. Anything is an improvement over that.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
........wut?
Evangelion has a similar plot device called LCL - Link Connection Fluid - that all the pilots ingest into their lungs and fills the cockpits of the Evas. In episode one it’s explained to oxygenate the blood, and later from memory to improve the mental connection and act as a bit of an impact cushion. The taste and smell of it are oft compared to blood although amniotic fluid is more appropriate. And later in the series, it turns out that’s EXACTLY what it is. Because Nerv has one of the giant aliens they fight in their basement nailed to a cross and the LCL is literally it’s blood. Not sure if they even purify it.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Evangelion has a similar plot device called LCL - Link Connection Fluid - that all the pilots ingest into their lungs and fills the cockpits of the Evas. In episode one it’s explained to oxygenate the blood, and later from memory to improve the mental connection and act as a bit of an impact cushion. The taste and smell of it are oft compared to blood although amniotic fluid is more appropriate. And later in the series, it turns out that’s EXACTLY what it is. Because Nerv has one of the giant aliens they fight in their basement nailed to a cross and the LCL is literally it’s blood. Not sure if they even purify it.
.......ah.....I see.

Yeah, glad I stopped watching that around the time they introduced the bitchy redhead.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
.......ah.....I see.

Yeah, glad I stopped watching that around the time they introduced the bitchy redhead.
Yeah, Asuka is a bit hard to deal with at times due to her abusive nature towards the other kids.

And Eva goes really weird toward the end, with the movie and the last two eps hitting peak weird(in different ways).

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yeah, Asuka is a bit hard to deal with at times due to her abusive nature towards the other kids.

And Eva goes really weird toward the end, with the movie and the last two eps hitting peak weird(in different ways).
You know I'll never not love the fact that show went as bananas as it did. Even if it confused me years ago, and honestly sometimes confounds me now, I'll never not love just how nuts shit gets.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
You know I'll never not love the fact that show went as bananas as it did. Even if it confused me years ago, and honestly sometimes confounds me now, I'll never not love just how nuts shit gets.
That's kinda how I feel. For me the first like third of the show is really meh. They go to schoo, they fight monsters, some comedy moments, etc. Some very light hints there's something wierd going on in the background. Then comes the middle third and shit starts to get more mysterious and the angels get more creative with their attack. Finally the last 3rd or so and like everything is going off the rails, everyone is having nervous breakdowns and the religious references get cranked up to 11 and that's where the show just becomes must watch all the way till the end for me.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

Yeah I've heard people talking about the existential wackiness of the final episodes, and how the creator of the anime had a breakdown or whatever, and that it just went off the rails.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah I've heard people talking about the existential wackiness of the final episodes, and how the creator of the anime had a breakdown or whatever, and that it just went off the rails.
A lot of Gainax shows take a turn in one way or another. Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water nose dived halfway through the series, because Anno left the production, and Kare Kano went a bit strange too. The show Gunbuster has its final episode in black and white for some reason, only choosing to go to color in the final credits sequence. Gainax has never been the most stable of animation studios it seems.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Yeah, Anno was apparently having a nervous breakdown during the latter half of the show and you can almost pinpoint the part of Eva where it happened. The studio was apparently running into budget issues as well due to outside events.

Apparently something similar happened with the rebuild series, where anno was doing okay but during the time 3.0+1.0(my god these titles are awkward) was in production he started having issues again and that's one of the reasons the production has been delayed for so long(3.0 came out almost a decade ago at this point).

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yeah, Anno was apparently having a nervous breakdown during the latter half of the show and you can almost pinpoint the part of Eva where it happened. The studio was apparently running into budget issues as well due to outside events.

Apparently something similar happened with the rebuild series, where anno was doing okay but during the time 3.0+1.0(my god these titles are awkward) was in production he started having issues again and that's one of the reasons the production has been delayed for so long(3.0 came out almost a decade ago at this point).
Yeah that's what I'd heard whenever people would talk about how far up it's own ass Eva got. I didn't leave due to that, I just....I find that there are a lot of commonly used tropes in anime overall, that REALLY annoy the shit out of me, and seriously make it hard for me to enjoy watching them. The most common culprit is the shonen power escalation fighting = story trope, that seems to be SO freaking prevalent in any anime that has action. It's why I stopped watching Bleach when they introduced the Spirit Society arc, where they were trying to rescue...what's her name, the Reaver who lost her powers because Echigo accidentally took them or whatever.

I was REALLY enjoying the show up to that point, as it was like Sixth Sense meets anime fighting! I loved the emphasis on them trying to just, put the restless dead to rest, either through purging them in battle if they were a malevolent spirit that couldn't be cleansed, or simply redeeming them in some way. Breaking the cycle of their hangups in the living world, so they could move on. It was GREAT! But no, they had to turn it into a constant increasing of power story, as he unlocks different , asspulled abilities and layers of "hidden power" in his sword, and his soul, and his hollow soul, and the hollow soul of his sword's soul's sword, etc etc.

I also, cannot actually describe using words, how much I hate the "obnoxious, violent and loud" yandere/tsundere (whichever one it is) trope. I...fucking...HATE that trope. And it's EVERYWHERE.

So yeah, very few anime hold my attention for long, as they all seem to revert back to these staples fairly quickly.

Reactions: BrawlMan

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
.......ah.....I see.

Asuka is a character I never really warmed up to either. The show does get around to her tragic backstory eventually, because literally every major character in it has one, but it never really makes up for how much of a bully she is. The series is worth sticking with, though. Some of it might fall flat but it absolutely nails the character arc of Shinji himself. The finale is very abstract, I think a lot of that had to do with budget issues. But it resolves the story on a personal level, even when it leaves a lot of plot threads hanging. The movie goes back to those. I always liked it significantly less than the series finale, I felt that a lot of its better ideas are kinda buried under a mountain of spectacle for spectacles sake but it does wrap up the story much more neatly and climactically.

I need to get around to the newer movies eventually. Though I reckon most people don't care for them much which is why I'm not really in a hurry to do so.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I need to get around to the newer movies eventually. Though I reckon most people don't care for them much which is why I'm not really in a hurry to do so.
The new movies are basically a reboot but also kinda sequel(it's unclear but it's hinted this is happening AFTER the series). And it's more interesting in concept then execution. 1.0 is basically a compressed replay of like the first 6 episodes(up till they destroy the diamond angel with the railgun) with some small changes. 2.0 starts to veer of the rails a bit and introduces some new plot elements and characters(Mari) but suddenly events in the show are playing out quite different near the end. 3.0 is totally unlike the shows events and is totally off the damn map as far as comparison is concerned(it's hard to explain without having seen it and it's still hard to explain even if you have) and 3.0+1.0(goddamnit, Anno, why can't it just be 4.0?), from the very little footage we've seen in the trailers released thus far looks like it's further then that direction.

Except 3.0 doesn't really tell you anything about the world somehow went even more to hell because of what happened at the end of 2.0, other then somehow it did and everyone is super mad it shinji but won't actually tell him why for quite a while, just this unspoken "YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DID, SHINJI!" for like half the movie. So poor Shinji is pulled out of a coma and nobody will tell him why everything is terrible(moreso) and they all hate him for it(they put a bomb collar on him, as if he wasn't traumatized enough).

It's less a Hi-Def remake of Eva then taking the story in a different direction after like the 2/3 point of the series, but the parts that do follow the series have enough anomalies to make the case something weird is going on from the get go. At the end of 1.0, we see a quick scene on the moon and Kaworu is waiting there. We see a number of very large coffins sitting on the moons surface and a large BLOOD colored stripe on the dust and then says "This time, Shiniji, I will make you happy. It hasn't yet been explained what all of this means, other then somehow Kaworu is aware that things are different.

Last edited:

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
The new movies are basically a reboot but also kinda sequel(it's unclear but it's hinted this is happening AFTER the series). And it's more interesting in concept then execution. 1.0 is basically a compressed replay of like the first 6 episodes(up till they destroy the diamond angel with the railgun) with some small changes. 2.0 starts to veer of the rails a bit and introduces some new plot elements and characters(Mari) but suddenly events in the show are playing out quite different near the end. 3.0 is totally unlike the shows events and is totally off the damn map as far as comparison is concerned(it's hard to explain without having seen it and it's still hard to explain even if you have) and 3.0+1.0(goddamnit, Anno, why can't it just be 4.0?), from the very little footage we've seen in the trailers released thus far looks like it's further then that direction.

Except 3.0 doesn't really tell you anything about the world somehow went even more to hell because of what happened at the end of 2.0, other then somehow it did and everyone is super mad it shinji but won't actually tell him why for quite a while, just this unspoken "YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DID, SHINJI!" for like half the movie. So poor Shinji is pulled out of a coma and nobody will tell him why everything is terrible(moreso) and they all hate him for it(they put a bomb collar on him, as if he wasn't traumatized enough).

It's less a Hi-Def remake of Eva then taking the story in a different direction after like the 2/3 point of the series, but the parts that do follow the series have enough anomalies to make the case something weird is going on from the get go. At the end of 1.0, we see a quick scene on the moon and Kaworu is waiting there. We see a number of very large coffins sitting on the moons surface and a large BLOOD colored stripe on the dust and then says "This time, Shiniji, I will make you happy. It hasn't yet been explained what all of this means, other then somehow Kaworu is aware that things are different.
That actually sounds kinda interesting. Guess I'll watch them once the last one is out. For whenever the hell that's gonna be. You know, I always felt Kaworu deserved way more screentime than he got in the series.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Asuka is a character I never really warmed up to either. The show does get around to her tragic backstory eventually, because literally every major character in it has one, but it never really makes up for how much of a bully she is. The series is worth sticking with, though. Some of it might fall flat but it absolutely nails the character arc of Shinji himself. The finale is very abstract, I think a lot of that had to do with budget issues. But it resolves the story on a personal level, even when it leaves a lot of plot threads hanging. The movie goes back to those. I always liked it significantly less than the series finale, I felt that a lot of its better ideas are kinda buried under a mountain of spectacle for spectacles sake but it does wrap up the story much more neatly and climactically.

Even ignoring the budget, tonally this is probably what the series was headed for from the get-go. You look at Anno's previous work and you can see the little, depressive seeds that would seriously start sprouting in NGE. Gunbuster has the most horribly drepessing but touching ending I've ever seen, certainly in an anime with this many boobie bounces.

As for the Rebuilds. They're only really worth it to see all the characters and settings in nice, sharp, expenssive visuals. All the weird dark shit from the series is nowhere to be seen, or a bit too comically in your face. 3.0 is the most interesting one, but only near the start before it starts spinning its wheels doing absolutely nothing.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
That actually sounds kinda interesting. Guess I'll watch them once the last one is out. For whenever the hell that's gonna be. You know, I always felt Kaworu deserved way more screentime than he got in the series.
Definitely recommend waiting. 1.0 and 2.0 aren't bad to watch together(2 does end on a bit of a cliffhanger) but 3.0 feels like nothing but build up to whatever the hell is gonna happen in the last one...and we've been waiting 9 years to find out what the hell that's supposed to be. Which means 4.0 is gonna make or break 3.0 depending on what ends up happening. if it ends up doing more wheel spinning after 9 years of waiting I'm not gonna bother. I don't require EoE level Micheal Bay splsions but I need some kind of conclusion. I'm aware Japanese Storytelling isn't nearly as big on "Everything gets concluded at the end" but seriously, if this is going nowhere, I can save myself 2 hours by not watching it to get the exact same end result.

I haven't rewatched the rebuild films since like 2012 because of this. When the final one is available(assuming it's worth a watch), I'll rewatch them all together but 4.0 is delayed(again) by Covid.Then again. 3.0 took a very LONG time to get a DVD release after it dropped in theaters, apparently because Gainex was apparently really concerned with wringing all it could out of theatrical screenings(but also only showing them in select theaters for very short periods....because BUSINESS!). So yeah.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Actually in my experience most people cared for them quite a bit, especially Rebuild 2.0. The enthusiasm seems to have dropped off because of Rebuild 3.0 pulling a not unexpected but pretty fuckin’ diabolical bait and switch on the audiences who seemed to be so dazzled by Rebuid 2.0’s ending - myself among them - that we forgot what and who we were dealing with.

Yet still even my easily pleased palate was left wanting to know how it ends.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I won't be touching any Eva .0's period. I usually tell people to watch 2.0 and end it there. Either that, or read fan fics more worth your time.