Disgaea PC Port Announced

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Disgaea PC Port Announced

PS2 cult classic Disgaea is getting a Steam re-release.

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness was one of those cult classic PS2-era tactical RPGs that flew under most people's radar at the time. It enjoyed moderate popularity on the system, and even spawned a franchise that saw release right up into the PS3 generation. Now, developer Nippon Ichi Software has announced an enhanced PC port of the original game will release on Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/405900] early next year.

"Two years after the death of his father, Overlord Krichevskoy, the demon prince Laharl awakens to discover that the Netherworld is in turmoil. With unlikely allies, his devious vassal Etna and the angel trainee Flonne, he must battle his way to supremacy to retake the throne and become the next Overlord. Experience the SRPG classic, now on PC!"

[gallery=5044]

As well as containing all of the stuff from the original game, the PC version has some new goodies too. Here's a list of what's included in the enhanced port:

Updated UI and textures
Keyboard/Mouse and controller support
All content from Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness
New Steam features, such as Achievements, Cloud Saves, Badges, and trading cards

The game will release in February, 2016. We don't have any info on pricing as of yet.

Source: Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/405900]

Sep 9, 2007
Finally! a Disgaea game on PC... Although I would've preferred a more recent game in the series, this will do to start with. Gonna take a bit of getting used to though, the mechanics have come a long, long way since the original.

Flaery

Ghetto Trash
Dec 23, 2012
I hope they don't change any of the songs from how they were in the PSP version.

Also, could this possibly signal the coming of the sequels to PC as well; or will this be a one-time thing?

Truth Cake

Aug 27, 2010
The Eupho Guy said:
Flaery said:
Also, could this possibly signal the coming of the sequels to PC as well; or will this be a one-time thing?
Depends on how well it sells, I guess. If it tanks, I doubt we'll see any more.
I dunno, NIS has quite the love for re-releasing pretty much all of their games, I wouldn't doubt that we'll see PC re-releases of the later Disgaeas... though I'm probably just being hopeful that they give a PC version of Disgaea 3, which is far and away my favorite of the lot so far (haven't gotten a chance to play 5 yet though, curse not having room for a TV in this crappy dorm :/).

SilverHunter

Sep 22, 2014
Narcogen said:
Disgaea misspelled in hed and subhed.
There's also a mistake in saying the franchise has been released up to the PS3. It had a recent release on the ps4 as well.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
What I really want is a port of Disgaea 2 to the 3DS. If I'm going to be grinding for hundreds of hours, I want to do it on a handheld. Like come on, Disgaea DS came out in 2008, how long do I have to wait before I can play the sequel?

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Heck yeah... good ol laharl and his ridiculus laugh.

As over the top as these games are (and they are ridiculusly over the top... throwing exploding penguins anyone?) they could tell surprisingly sad and deep stories.... and then make fun of the main girls flat chests in the next moment.

(Also the bad endings are REALLY bad and dark.. like murdering your own family dark in disgea 2)

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
What are the odds, today I bought the Triple Play Collection for the PS3.
Good on you PC people, it's a great game.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
No joke, currently replaying dark hero days lately, so nice timing. Have the original ps2 game, loved the hell out of it, even if it does have flaws. I might grab then when released, though in truth I am hoping it signals the other games are coming to pc too, and hopefully I can get the 3rd game since I've not been able to play that one yet.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Definitely going to buy this!

I'm always worried about the day my PS2/PS3 will die and I won't be able to play my favorite SRPGs anymore.

Here's hoping this does well and eventually Soul Nomad gets a PC release.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
ok... lets hope I can actually get my OS updated by the time this hits. Hey world, no more money sapping emergencies for a year or so please. We good?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Karadalis said:
and then make fun of the main girls flat chests in the next moment.
Well she is over 10,000 years old and yet apparently "chooses" to look like a loli. Considering how curvaceous some of the other female demons in the series are, you'd think she could update to a more adult model. :p

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
We need more PS2 games on Steam. We need all the PS2 games on Steam.
Lemme know when Timesplitters comes out for that. I have a sudden sci-fi handgun itch that Borderlands can't seem to replicate.

OT: I think Valve is currently peeking into my memories, as my recent PS2 gaming sprees are now somehow being noticed and/or monitored by a PC gaming company. I'm not sure how to feel about this...

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Karadalis said:
and then make fun of the main girls flat chests in the next moment.
Well she is over 10,000 years old and yet apparently "chooses" to look like a loli. Considering how curvaceous some of the other female demons in the series are, you'd think she could update to a more adult model. :p
Neither Etna nor Flonne are 10000 years old, nor do they choose to look like they do. Etna's outright hostile out of envy against more curvaceous women.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Denamic said:
Neither Etna nor Flonne are 10000 years old, nor do they choose to look like they do. Etna's outright hostile out of envy against more curvaceous women.
I'll grant you that she's not 10K years old, that was my foggy memory as she is in fact only 1,400 or so. As for her appearance, I'm almost certain that in Disgaea 2 when someone remarks that she looks like a child she says that she simply chooses to look that way...though this could just be a lie.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Denamic said:
I'll grant you that she's not 10K years old, that was my foggy memory as she is in fact only 1,400 or so. As for her appearance, I'm almost certain that in Disgaea 2 when someone remarks that she looks like a child she says that she simply chooses to look that way...though this could just be a lie.
She's referring to her outfit and her style, and she's in denial about her flatness. She can't actually change her form.