Dishonored 2 Has a 9 GB Day 1 Patch

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
ShakerSilver said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Or, (and this is the more likely reasoning) because physical copies on console are still king in terms of sales and you can't pre-load a physical copy of the game to avoid this.

These companies would rather have everyone get the game and have to patch it at the same time as opposed to utilizing common sense practices for just the PC gamers.

As a PC gamer this upsets me, and as an occasional console gamer it upsets me more. More people would buy digital on consoles if the consoles came with bigger hard drive capacities and if places like GameStop didn't put so much pressure on physical pre-order culture and special editions.
I believe he was referring to how patches are delivered, where devs will just make you redownload each whole modified file again and overwriting preexisting versions of them, rather than modifying the files based on differences thus only needing you to download the difference in data. This would be the same process if you got the game physically or digitally.
Without knowing if the differences in data require the whole file to be present before it being modified or not may be the issue here. This may be unfortunately the best way to do it in a market that has to cater largely to physical copies. On the PC you could just have this patch (in both ways) done before launch.

I wonder if simply downloading the Day 1 patch digitally through the console marketplaces has been considered. Though, that would likely require having the game installed in the first place.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Does anyone remember the days when you could be playing a game within minutes of buying it? Those were glorious days.
It's funny. We went from having to drive out to the store, get it off the shelf, drive home and start playing, to a brief but glorious moment in early digital delivery when we could see a game in the online store, download it, and start playing it within minutes, to now starting a massive download (often needing to do start that at night so all the many gigs drip in) and needing to confirm after a couple hours that we want the Day 1 patch with all that extra time.

An interesting parabola, and one I don't see swinging back up anytime soon.
And this is supposed to be progress apparently.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
So the game is 69 GB in total. Gota love the consoles being so weak they have to run uncompressed data streams resulting in huge install sizes. this could easily take a third of that with proper compression, but then your tiny console CPU wont be able to decode it in time.