Dishonored Feels Cut Up for DLC

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
I've played Dishonored, I love Dishonored, I'm playing it right now actually. Writing on the forums is such a great way to spend time while i wait for this guard to finish his smoke break. I'm at about my 4th playthrough. Starting off with a bloodless campaign, followed by a bloodless stealth campaign, finished off with a KILL EVERYTHING run. and for as good as the game is, I feel a lot of potential for the original campaign was lost for DLC purposes. Instead of making an original thought, I'll quote a comment I found. SPOILERS BE HERE!
I liked Dishonoured well enough, but it was too short, the content was too short with only 1 really interesting sidequest (Granny Rags v The Bottle St Gang).
(Spoilers ahead)
But what it was really missing was a longer story, the setting and characters were interesting but little was done with them. The Outsider has almost no actual role in the story besides being mysterious, we only visit his world once for a tutorial stage, he deserved more than this time trial. Any side conflict about the Outsider v The Abbey which could have made for interesting moral choices is overlooked. Piero and Solokov have no space for character development (I didn't even pick up on what they were fighting about before they made up).
The betrayal was obvious a mile away, it would have been nice if it were possible to subvert this twist (given you can subvert the outcome of almost every other plot event) but no you're saved by Sam luckily watching out for your suddenly naive ass. Almost no time is given to Daud and his Assassins, who else likes cool enemies being discarded after only 1 mission?
And the fact that the Loyalists are all killed in the same mission is the biggest missed opportunity of all. That could have been 3 great missions (with room for more character development) right there where now you work for yourself, for revenge:
1. Assassinate Pendleton in the Parliament (Nonlethal: Possess another Noble and present evidence to the parliament of Pendleton conspiring to steal his brother's votes)
2. Assassinate Martin in the now tougher Abbey of the Everyman (Nonlethal: Confront him alone with the alarms disabled and he will beg for mercy and promise to disappear)
3. Assassinate Havelock at the Lighthouse, as in the original.
(I also thought a mission to assassinate the head of the city watch at the watch headquarters, assassinating a prisoner at Coldridge prison, assassinating a financial or union kingpin on the whaling docks or extracting someone with information from the flooded district (before you're dumped there) would make good missions that explore the wonderful setting a little more (we barely see the whales that run this world).
So much more could have been made of this game.
Now I understand that no story driven game can go on forever, but there was so much that wasn't even touched on or mentioned that I can't help but feel like it was meant for DLC from the start.

Anyways Discussion Time - How do you feel about Dishonored and it's DLC upcoming DLCs and such? Is it simply entitlement on my part to want a longer game for $60 USD or is there a lot of story missing from the main game?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I agree that the story was positively dripping with wasted potential. It could have been much better. (Also, the game was just screaming from some decent bloody characters.)

However, I don't see how that makes it cut up for DLC. I mean, on what exactly do you base this grievous accusation?

Besides, the first DLC they've announced isn't even story content. It's some kind of decidedly lame sounding obstacle course thing.

BernardoOne

Jun 7, 2012
There will be 3 dlcs, 2 are pack of challenge maps, and one is story dlc. This has been announced like 2 weeks ago.

King of Wei

Jan 13, 2011
It looks more like they left a lot open for a sequel than for DLC. No sense in explaining how the whole world works in the first installment of the series.

Those mission ideas sound pretty cool though, someone should mod them in if possible. That being said I love the way the final mission ended. These people weren't criminal masterminds. They saw a chance for power and without thinking it through, acted on impulse only to realize too late that it probably wasn't the best idea. Then you see just how much of a coward Havlock really is. I only wish there was a non lethal way to dispose of him other than just knocking him our or ignoring him altogether.

I enjoyed the game overall even though it was a bit on the easy side. Only played it twice so far. One stealth run with as few deaths as possible and my achievement hunting ghost/clean hands/flesh and steel run. I'll be returning for the DLCs. Looking forward more to the challenge maps than to Daud's DLC though. I liked his character well enough but he just didn't click for me.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
I'm clearly in the minority when I don't think that Dishonored was too short, like at all.

Sure, I would have liked more, but the same can be said of Portal, it didn't overstay it's welcome (not that it could, because I LOVED Dishonored) and that added to the appeal.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
TheKasp said:
BernardoOne said:
There will be 3 dlcs, 2 are pack of challenge maps, and one is story dlc. This has been announced like 2 weeks ago.
Does the story DLC tie in in any way with the story we have in the actual campaign? From the informations we can assume that it doesn't.
You get to control the Empress's assassin, so I would assume it's not essential. Probably just giving more back story.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
I think Dishonored was a game made for a sequel, a trial run. People bought the game and loved it, now the deveopers know there's still a market for stuff like Dishonored and will probably make a Dishonored 2 set in the same city but on a much bigger scale and with new characters... Hopefully...

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Lt._nefarious said:
I think Dishonored was a game made for a sequel, a trial run. People bought the game and loved it, now the deveopers know there's still a market for stuff like Dishonored and will probably make a Dishonored 2 set in the same city but on a much bigger scale and with new characters... Hopefully...
Well this seems relevant. however I'm not sure I actually want more of Dishonored. To make it worth it it would have to be a massive step up like Portal to Portal 2 was.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/28/dishonored-sold-an-awful-lot-of-copies-franchise-born/

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I haven't played Dishonored, but I have heard that since it is stuck in the city of Dunwall, it suffers from the Dragon Age 2 problem of missing out on content because of its limited setting.

As for a game that really was cut for DLC was Human Revolution. Missing Link was pretty much already finished, but since the game was rushed out, it, like the majority of the Montreal portion was cut from the game.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
PieBrotherTB said:
I'm clearly in the minority when I don't think that Dishonored was too short, like at all.

Sure, I would have liked more, but the same can be said of Portal, it didn't overstay it's welcome (not that it could, because I LOVED Dishonored) and that added to the appeal.
Yeah but portal was never 60$ .

ocelot0222222 said:
It looks more like they left a lot open for a sequel than for DLC. No sense in explaining how the whole world works in the first installment of the series.
Why would anyone assume there will be a sequel ? Unless the game was intended to be a trilogy or whatever. Even then, is it really necessary to leave out some things to be able to make a sequel? I mean really , i am no writter , but in a new IP and a world like dishonored , writting a sequel shouldn't be too difficult . They got a lot to work with , in my oppinion.

OT: I agree . It felt like more "meat" could have been added to the actual game and story

Verzin

Jan 23, 2012
It had massive potential in story and RPG mechanics that went entirely to waste.

It was designed with DLC in mind, that's for certain, but I think that the developers just didn't put enough into it: it felt like a labor of love that never truly matched the creators vision of it.

It was a great game, maybe they burned out. very understandable. So much effort goes into these things. easy to burn out and take the easy route.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
I feel like the game bit off more than it could chew, really.

Also, I feel like I'm the only one who appreciated Martin in the final level (high chaos version). His monologue was fantastically done and reinforced an excellent theme that was absent pretty much everywhere else.

Nicolairigel

May 6, 2011
Loved the hell out of dishonored, the gameplay seemed almost made for me, balancing melee fighting beyond simple button mashing without being too complex and a teleporty move I could spam to stab people in the back. I also really REALLY liked the small Daud boss fight, it felt climatic and intense with the dialogue and non-stop teleporting from both sides.

It's length was definitely way shorter than I would have liked, but I think what really left me disappointed was just the ending. It was sudden and bit too BOOM. STORY OVER. NOTHING ELSE HAPPEN. I was also sad they didn't have any dream sequence narrative points like the first meeting with the outsider, he really was the most interesting part of the game.

Oh well, The Outsider is open for the sequel, looking foward to it like hell. hopefully they'll pull a borderlands 2 and improve on everything character, story, and length wise.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Sectan said:
The Outsider has almost no actual role in the story besides being mysterious, we only visit his world once for a tutorial stage, he deserved more than this time trial. Any side conflict about the Outsider v The Abbey which could have made for interesting moral choices is overlooked.
The outsider is Dishonored's G-Man, you DON'T make a plot involving him, because you cant.

Hes literally a walking Deus Ex Machina to be used at the developer's whim, and making any real info about him would murder the illusion that he's a somewhat believable Deus Ex Machina.