Dishonored Gets a Date

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dishonored Gets a Date

The steampunk stealth-action game Dishonored is coming in October.

Once, you were the most trusted bodyguard of the Empress. But framed for her murder, you were forced to become something else entirely: an assassin of almost legendary ability, blessed or cursed with supernatural abilities by an unknown force. And now, you're after revenge.

That's the setup in Dark Messiah [http://www.amazon.com/Dishonored-Xbox-360/dp/B005C2D2MO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336663147&sr=8-1] studio Arkane that takes place in the steampunk-inspired "industrial whaling city" of Dunwall. The setting alone has me pretty wound up, but it's the promise of "Choose Your Own Homicide" gameplay that really does it for me. Do you stealth this guy? Yell and scream and chop him up into little pieces with a battleax? Or maybe use some of that hoodoo-voodoo stuff on him? You decide!

Of course, we won't know how well it actually plays for awhile, because the game won't be out until October - October 9 in North America, to be precise, and October 12 in Europe. In the meantime, have a look at the official box art, which I think can best be described as "okay" but not much more. It's a nice rendering of the lead character's groovy murder mask and I suppose that funky clock tower in the background is there to remind everyone that this is a steampunk joint, but all in all it's pretty flat. Hope the game shows a little more inspiration.

So remember: October 9, or October 12 if you're on the wrong side of the wet fantastic, for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. To find out more about Dishonored, check out www.dishonored.com [http://www.dishonored.com/].

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Sounds interesting , sounds like a sort of spiritual successor to thief. I hope the PC version is not just a shitty port.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
This will likely be the next Dead Island "trailer raises expectations too high for game to match" case, but I'm still looking forward to see how it turns out.

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
Andy of Comix Inc said:
This will likely be the next Dead Island "trailer raises expectations too high for game to match" case, but I'm still looking forward to see how it turns out.
As opposed to Dead Island, they raised expectations during numerous interviews and the announcement of the talent behind it.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Matthew94 said:
next Deus Ex.
Zipa said:
spiritual successor to thief.
Did you even watch the videos?

The guy runs into a room, throws magic around, and just kills everyone and the main baddie.
No sneaking, no stealth, no dialogue.

It wants to be more Assassin's Creed with magic in Half Life 2's world than anything else.

It's insulting that you think so lowly of the Deus Ex and Thief franchises.

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
Absolutionis said:
Matthew94 said:
next Deus Ex.
Zipa said:

The guy runs into a room, throws magic around, and just kills everyone and the main baddie.

It wants to be more Assassin's Creed with magic in Half Life 2's world than anything else.

Honestly, it's more like Hitman with magic rather than Deus Ex/Thief with magic since you can make your victim's deaths look like accidents. The developers promised the the player will not forced to kill anyone except the targets. Also, chill dude it was just a CG trailer, not actual gameplay.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
It was already almost uninteresting from what I've read, though I was remaining cautiously optimistic that I would start to see something that would bring me to the game and make me want to play it. But an October release date eliminates that completely. Holiday season releases are so obnoxious. Gamers want something for the summer months where there is very little competition. Low and behold, it's still available for the holiday season. Stupid.

monkeymo4d

Jan 22, 2012
Sounds great, I was looking for something else to buy since Bioshock decided not to show up this year. :)

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Aww I was hoping for a summer release.

I'm getting my hopes up for this, all the previews are making comparisons with Thief, Hitman and Deus ex so I'm hoping that it does live up to what we've seen so far.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Absolutionis said:
Matthew94 said:
next Deus Ex.
Zipa said:

In the gameplay commentary video the developers were quite clear about the player being able to play very stealthily.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
I expect this to be late, but I will hold off on purchase until I see some reviews and gameplay. God I want it to be good.

Cry Wolf

Oct 13, 2010
Matthew94 said:
All I know about this is it could be the next Deus Ex.
You get Deus Ex is praised because it was innovative and unique, right? While I've got really high hopes for this - it seems to be taking all it's design from pieces of other games. So therefore it wont be the next Deus Ex.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Absolutionis said:
Matthew94 said:
next Deus Ex.
Zipa said:

That's a 5 minute CG trailer to show off the powers. DX and Thief are Immersive Sims, Dishonored is too.

And continuing in the vein of a DX-style Immersive Sim (as it's being made by Harvey Smith), that means you get to play how you want. Like Deus Ex.