Disney Abandons Star Wars 1313 Trademark

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
This is so fucking sad. It's a rare sight to see a game set in the Star Wars universe that doesn't have to hold a lightsaber in it's hand to get a greenlight. Bounty hunters, smugglers, and the criminal underworld are all a core elements of what sets the tone in Star Wars, and yet we've only truly had one game that focuses entirely on the subject, protagonist and all.

I'm almost certain this was dropped for the moment by Disney simply because they probably aren't interested in adding more to the Expanded Universe when they're not even sure exactly what they're going to do for the three new movies. Nor how the EU will be effected by these changes or even whether or not to scrap the whole EU all together.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Everything I heard about this game made me think "Oh, it's GTA IV in space". And personally, I think that is the last thing the industry needs. Do we really need yet another fucking gritty reboot? Why does every damn thing need to be so soaked in angst and tears these days? So, I'm kind of glad this is gone.

Koios

Jul 28, 2010
Extragorey said:
Doesn't Disney dropping the trademark mean that anyone else can pick up the project now? Or am I missing something?
In this case it just means the game is dead; since Disney owns Star Wars and EA the video game rights, they'd have to approve someone working on a project they just killed.

Carlos Oporto

Jan 17, 2014
Koios said:
Extragorey said:
Doesn't Disney dropping the trademark mean that anyone else can pick up the project now? Or am I missing something?
In this case it just means the game is dead; since Disney owns Star Wars and EA the video game rights, they'd have to approve someone working on a project they just killed.
Maybe they can send the game to another developer or maybe they are changing the name and the concept of the game. Hopefully we still get that Boba Fett next gen game.

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
I'm happy with this. I was skeptical from the very start about it. I don't think the first Star Wars bounty hunter game we get should be a simple Uncharted rip off. The bounty hunters of Star Wars deserve gameplay that will actually let us play as one properly.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
oh god, the games was centered around that over hyped twat? Glad the game is dead now. Maybe now we can get a game about a character who isn't only awesome in the EU, which is non cannon in star wars case.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Well screw you too Disney. How about I go and cancel that new...um...Micky...Mouse...thing...

Gary Thompson

Aug 29, 2011
Flammablezeus said:
I'm happy with this. I was skeptical from the very start about it. I don't think the first Star Wars bounty hunter game we get should be a simple Uncharted rip off. The bounty hunters of Star Wars deserve gameplay that will actually let us play as one properly.
The first Star Wars bounty hunter game was Star Wars: Bounty Hunter.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Lunar Templar said:
oh god, the games was centered around that over hyped twat? Glad the game is dead now. Maybe now we can get a game about a character who isn't only awesome in the EU, which is non cannon in star wars case.
Well actually there are multiple levels of canon. There's G (Film/Lucas) canon, T-canon (TV), C-canon (EU books, games, comics, etc.) that don't clash with the continuity, S-canon (anything that does clash, but non-contradictory elements of these are canon) and N, for non-canon.

The EU is so interesting, I'm about halfway though the X-Wing book series, it's absolutely brilliant.

OT: I'm really upset by this, I really wanted a good story driven star wars game that didn't focus on the Jedi. As much as I love the Jedi/Sith there's a lot of potential in Star Wars away from that, and I think this could have been amazing. I hope it gets resurrected.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Extragorey said:
They would have to get the rights to starwars off disney despite them giving it to EA and they would have to obtain all the files owned by EA to continue. So no nobody can just steal the project off them and publish their work for profit.

colostomizer

Jun 7, 2011
I never got the appeal of Boba Fett. He didn't really do much in the films except get beaten up by the weediest most inept Jedi the galaxy had ever seen and then fall to his doom.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
This is sad. The whole thing is very sad. It makes it sting even more when I see the seedy underground coruscant concept art.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
Knowing Lucas Art, they would have failed the game hard anyway. They haven't done anything good for the past 9 years. The last good thing they did was Starwars Republic Commando. Everything else has kinda been a massive fail after that game.

Each one of their Starwars game got a ton of hype but failed to live up to it. The same thing would happen to this game as well.

Also EA don't have much to do with the coding of BF4 which is actually DICE job. IF you want to whine to someone about all the problems in BF4 you go to DICE. They code that game.
Nice to see the article failing to see the difference between a Publisher and Developer.

Lucas Art company died for a good reason. If it was any good it would still be around.