Disney Blends Skylanders and Minecraft in Disney Infinity

Ashley Esqueda

Jan 15, 2013
Disney Blends Skylanders and Minecraft in Disney Infinity

[video=6726]

Disney hopes to capture some of the interactive toys-to-life market with Disney Infinity, unveiled earlier today at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood, California. Activision's Skylanders franchise existed almost completely unopposed last year, and raked in huge piles of cash as one of the most wanted toys during the holiday season. Disney looks to be a formidable opponent, though, and they're banking on Infinity becoming the new king of action figure gaming.

Co-President of Disney Interactive John Pleasants was on hand to introduce Infinity, discussing how the project would allow different IPs in the Disney stable to interact with one another in an open, interactive world. "Mr. Incredible does not live in the same world as Sulley and Mike. It just doesn't happen. But, if you were playing with the TOYS from those movies...that's something cool," said John Lasseter, Chief Creative Officer, Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios, "And so that became the theory of how we started coming up with these characters." We've seen the Skylanders portal, and Disney Infinity brings something similar to the table via a baseball-like home plate and a spot for figurines to enter the game, but then expands on it by adding two additional spots for what Disney is calling "playsets" and "power discs." Playsets are full games with objectives and gameplay in specific universes, while power discs offer special abilities and gadgets for your chosen character.

Playsets will offer gameplay confined only to characters in that universe; for example, if you're using the Monsters University playset, you'll only be able to put Mike or Sulley on the portal and bring them into the playset. That's very much like Skylanders, in that you'll have a game experience with objectives and gameplay that fits in with that playset (using the same Monsters University example, you'll be playing pranks on a rival monster college and building out a frat row for your school). Where Disney Infinity branches off from Skylanders is its "Toybox" mode.

Somewhere between Little Big Planet and Minecraft, Toybox mode is the place where every Disney IP collides. In this mode, we saw Dash from The Incredibles racing against Lightning McQueen from Cars, Jack Sparrow racing around in Cinderella's carriage, and other wacky Disney mashups. There were also building demos that showcased contextual controls, so players can create moving platformer areas, design racetracks, set fixed camera angles for visitors, and more. In a nutshell, it's a wide open sandbox for all your favorite Disney "toys" to play in together, and for you to build whatever your heart desires.

There will be all kinds of Disney franchise building blocks (and other pieces) at your disposal to make games, contraptions, or whatever else you can think up. You'll also be able to share those creations, both publicly via an online network (it will be moderated by Disney before getting shared), and with your online friends directly. There's a lot of potential here for budding designers, especially after seeing that the Minecraft community not only embraced the sandbox, but made truly incredible creations. Add in a healthy dose of Disney fondness so many families and children possess, and it's potentially a recipe for magic.

Disney Infinity will launch in June, and three IPs were announced as part of the official launch: The Incredibles, Monsters University, and Pirates of the Caribbean. Pleasants noted that there will be over 20 toys and additional IPs available at launch, but declined to comment on which ones they might be. We can say that in the promotional images, we caught characters from Wreck-It Ralph, Nightmare Before Christmas, Phineas and Ferb, Cars, Toy Story, The Incredibles, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Monsters University, so for what it's worth, we'll definitely be seeing those IPs show up at some point. As for other Disney IPs, we saw power discs from Alice in Wonderland to Frankenweenie, and we're sure Disney will keep creating new and fun items to add to Infinity as new releases roll out.

If there's any company with the clout, mindshare, and franchise power to go toe-to-toe with Skylanders, it's Disney. We're also curious to see if/when Disney incorporates some of its more recent acquisitions (*ahem* Marvel and LucasFilm *ahem*) and their IPs into Infinity. There's a broad, obvious appeal to The Avengers and Star Wars playsets hitting retail shelves, and we'd bet Disney Interactive is already hard at work figuring out future integration of their biggest live-action franchises.

Disney Infinity will be coming to Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Wii U, and PC this June.

[gallery=1004]

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I was all ready to ignore this as a 'Skylanders with Mickey Mouse', but I have to admit I'm kind of interested in this, now.

I enjoy the creative aspects of MineCraft/LBP, and the kid in me would LOVE to recreate The Lion King game (SNES) in 3D.

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
This will sell like pancakes! I mean people go crazy for Disney and Pixar and being able to have different characters across the different universes seems like an easy sell to me. Its Disney and Pixar so far but yeah, the door is wide open for Marvel and Star Wars characters too. I mean how does a game where you could potentially have Jack Sparrow, Buzz Lightyear, Iron Man and Darth Vader running around in the same space not sound really awesome. That's of course if a) you like the characters and worlds and b) the gameplay itself is any good.

People already collect figures and memorabilia from their favourite franchises, being able to use those figures in a game only adds another level of attractiveness. Skylanders might have been the template but it has nowhere near the roster of beloved characters that Disney now owns. I might not get the game, but I actually like the desgins enough that I might be willing to simply get the odd Pixar figure if there not too pricey.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
I don't see anything to do with minecraft or its mechanics. If there is no resource gathering, then it its just a simple sandbox.

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
This...Actually looks kind of awesome. The idea, at least, is genius.

I wonder what other franchises they'll throw in. I do wonder about Disney's new additions, like the article mentions, it would be amazing to see Marvel and Lucasfilm content in this. Hey, maybe they'll throw in Classic Disney Shorts stuff? Or maybe Duck Tales stuff?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Ashley Esqueda said:
then expands on it by adding two additional spots for what Disney is calling "playsets" and "power discs." Playsets are full games with objectives and gameplay in specific universes, while power discs offer special abilities and gadgets for your chosen character.
Skylanders already has that... that EXACT thing in fact. Still, could be fun, I like the look of the minatures but I dont think my wallet can handle it right now.

Also, anyone else wondering what this mutha'lickers 'toybox' would look like?

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
uchytjes said:
I don't see anything to do with minecraft or its mechanics. If there is no resource gathering, then it its just a simple sandbox.
Perhaps Little Big Planet would be more accurate. Looks to be like a comprehensive level builder.

In any case the game looks cute, very charming visual style. However if its anything like Skylanders its likely going to be to expensive to keep up with. Regardless I like it when ever they make big games for kids, there is never enough age appropriate games any more.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
This has the potential to be pretty damn good. I enjoyed Skylanders quite a bit, so that mixed with Minecraft, with Disney characters? Amazing. Here's hoping it lives up to the promise it's showing.

Also, welcome to The Escapist! Or at least posting news articles for them =P

And slightly off-topic, anyone besides me think that that song (I have no idea what it's called even though I presume it's quite popular the amount I hear it) sounds like it should be in a Sonic game?

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
This looks like possibly the most shameless example of a greedy, nostalgia-feasting mascotgasm I have ever seen... and I am so. Fucking. READY!

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Ok, if this buisnees model of using the game as a platform to push sales of action figues is going on then im putting an automatic black mark on every one of them i see, hear or suspect the existence of.

Speaking of suspecting, how long do you reckon until Disney come out with a Marvel version of this?

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Hey, Capcom? Remember these guys?
[http://ganando-enemigos.deviantart.com/art/All-Megaman-characters-167565945]
Right now franchises with a swarm of one-note characters are selling like hot cakes. Why aren't you in?

Ashley Esqueda

Jan 15, 2013
Thanks for the
Andy Shandy said:
This has the potential to be pretty damn good. I enjoyed Skylanders quite a bit, so that mixed with Minecraft, with Disney characters? Amazing. Here's hoping it lives up to the promise it's showing.

Also, welcome to The Escapist! Or at least posting news articles for them =P

And slightly off-topic, anyone besides me think that that song (I have no idea what it's caleld even though I presume it's quite popular the amount I hear it) sounds like it should be in a Sonic game?
Thanks for the welcome! Delightfully active forums, my favorite kind!

I think the coolest thing I saw today was a brief look at this "game" a designer had built internally -- he basically set the camera angle at profile, and created a Donkey Kong-esque platformer for people to play in. We didn't actually get to run around in it, but even seeing it showed how powerful the tools you have at your disposal are.

This will make my wallet very, very sad. I don't even have kids and I want the figures. The style is reminiscent of Clone Wars, very stylized, but very cool. The Jack Sparrow is awesome.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Ashley Esqueda said:
No problem, hope you enjoy being here =D

Also that "game" sounds amazing, can't wait to mess around with all the tools when it comes out.

And I'm both excited as all hell, and preparing to weep inside when a full list of characters that are going to be playable comes out. So many possibilities!

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
Why is Disney using Nightmare Before Christmas characters... did I miss something?

Otherwise, looks interesting. Skylandery for sure. Not sure I'm a fan of the movement style. Like the cartoony art style, looks like really clunky movement/actions.

Of course this is a teaser...

Also, STAR WARS/Avengers please.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
This looks pretty neat, I'll have to keep a look out for it.

Veylon said:
Hey, Capcom? Remember these guys?
[http://ganando-enemigos.deviantart.com/art/All-Megaman-characters-167565945]
Right now franchises with a swarm of one-note characters are selling like hot cakes. Why aren't you in?
Don't even get them started. I'd have no money ever again. That said, if that's what it takes for a new Classic Mega Man game...