Disney Infinity Shutdown Plans Render The Game Unplayable on Mobile

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Disney Infinity Shutdown Plans Render The Game Unplayable on Mobile

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/585/585350.jpg
As of September 30, 2016, you'll no longer be able to play the mobile versions of Disney Infinity in any way.

One of the more surprising moves to come out of Disney this year was the big 3.0 update [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167407-Disney-Ends-Infinity-Line-Closing-Avalanche-Software] is just over a year old. The company has now outlined its shutdown plans for existing Infinity services, and it's pretty grim.

Here's the lowdown:

As of September 30, 2016

You will no longer be able to log in to play the PC, iOS, Google Android and Amazon Android versions of Disney Infinity, these will no longer be available on the respective app stores
The Steam versions of Disney Infinity 2.0 & 3.0 will remain operational with the exception of all online services and community features as these will be discontinued
Apple TV versions of Disney Infinity will be removed from the AppStore
The Disney Infinity Community team will no longer be reviewing or approving any new Toy Boxes that are submitted to Disney for all console, mobile and PC versions of the game. However if you are playing on any console, Apple TV or Windows 8/10 versions of the game, you can continue to download your favorite Toy Boxes from the Community Content section until March 3, 2017

As of January 3, 2017

No in-game purchases can be made within the Windows 8/10 versions of the game as this feature will be removed

As of March 3, 2017

Apple TV and Windows 8/10 versions will no longer be available, supported or playable
All Disney Infinity online services and community features for all versions will be discontinued

While this is certainly pretty shitty news for anyone with a substantial investment in the game, it's unfortunately the very nature of online games these days.

Source: Disney [https://infinity.disney.com/ja/closing]

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Eugh. If I wasn't already leery of online gaming, this would make me be so.

Sorry, everyone I sold Infinity figurines to when I worked at a tech shop. ;___;

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
At least the figures themselves are well-made and fun to look at sitting on my shelf...?

I also suppose the whole #SaveDisneyInfinity thing was a bust then as well.

Shame, a damn shame.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
I kept seeing they figures on the shelves and thinking, maybe some day when they are all on sale i will pick them all up, and won't be spending a boat load. Well now I'm glad that never happened...

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
I never like the infinity figures, the way they changed the way the characters looked to normalize them across the infinity line never sat well with me, I much prefer the amiibo style where the characters look as they're meant to despite all coming from different franchises
I never played the game either, but my sister did and she seemed to quite enjoy it, so this'll be bad new for her

Agent of Fate

Aug 29, 2011
Pallindromemordnillap said:
This is why I stuck to Lego Dimensions. They shut that down I've still got all the fully re-usable Lego rather than now purely decorative statuettes
That and the online portion seems to be limited to 'look at all these box sets you can buy' and nothing else, so there's a good chance if they do shut down the servers the game will still be fully playable. Unless the game board breaks.

mtarzaim02

Jan 23, 2014
"The Disney Infinity Community team will no longer be reviewing or approving any new Toy Boxes that are submitted to Disney for all console, mobile and PC versions of the game."

Too bad.
We could have witnessed glorious things with a freed-from-monitoring community.
Not only the usual dick-shaped levels, but also reinvention of disney universes, a true Epic Mickey, or crossovers with more mature licences.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Z of the Na said:
I also suppose the whole #SaveDisneyInfinity thing was a bust then as well.
Buying any Disney video game is a bust.

It seems that every few years they glance over at how much money people like Valve and Activision make and decide they want a slice of that pie. Then after a couple more years when it becomes apparent that they have to actually invest in and produce quality games to make any money they just nope, too much work, close everything.

This the end stage of the cycle after the Epic Mickey disaster.

I'm sure in two-ish year's time Disney will announce some new product and affirm it's commitment to the exciting (and lucrative) world of video games.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Well this sucks donkey balls, but hey Disney hasn't done anything really dickish in a while so i guess it was about time

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
"The future!" of gaming ladies and gentlemen...this is why I am very careful and selective about what online games I actually buy...

Ravinoff

Elite Member
Legacy
May 31, 2012
Country
Canada
Notice nobody seems to have picked up on the very concerning section.

Apple TV and Windows 8/10 versions will no longer be available, supported or playable
This is why people don't trust "app stores" and the newer versions of Windows. A publisher discontinuing support for a game and dropping official servers is one thing, and far from unheard of. But in this case they're quite literally taking the game back, whether the "buyer" wants to lose it or not.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Not surprising. This is what people support today when they buy rent games that needs to call home.

Fads come and go with time but at least you used to be able to continue playing after the fad passed or became unprofitable.

Just say no to DRM. Think of the children of tomorrow! ,)

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
While this is certainly pretty shitty news for anyone with a substantial investment in the game, it's unfortunately the very nature of online games these days.
Which is to say... Nearly all games released by major publishers, these days.

Cheers.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
"Infinite possibilities. Endless fun."

Ahahah! A brief bit of humour to be extracted here. But yeah, screw these online only games. Just like the latest Need for Speed "reboot" ...I will never buy a full priced game that will not work without an online connection. Or these damn chrome tablets that save everything to the cloud so you apparently never get to keep anything you save to yourself. I had a tablet a while back that wouldn't let me access any of my photos or other saved files without an internet connection. This supposed technologically advanced age only serves as more restrictive than liberating. Which isn't the technology, it's the self serving, anti-consumer business decisions holding us back.