Disney is ending the partnership with EA on SW games, BUT.......

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
Ooh, ooh... some joke in the tutorial island at the beginning of Ubisoft's Star Wars game about a jedi using the force to from the ground flip a switch way up at the top of a space radio tower.

But seriously, conceptually I don't have a problem with this. Ubisoft makes games that are... fine. Nothing special or outstanding in any way; but functional, adequate, competent wastes of some free time. A far cry (if you will) from the heights of Lucasarts, but potentially a step up from where the license has been for a long while now.
Personally I am indifferent to it, it's not going to be some throwback to the era of countless of Star Wars Spinoffs but a sterile additions to Disney's Star Wars line on genres they haven't done yet

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Only to be expected. Disney would never give the license to some plucky up-and-comer with bold new ideas. If it wasn't Ubisoft, it would've been Activision, or 2K, or some other major player (well, obviously not Warner). Expect a safe grabbag of everything popular Ubisoft open world game with a Star Wars veneer. Possibly GaaS, probably multiplayer, definitely monetized up the ass.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Only to be expected. Disney would never give the license to some plucky up-and-comer with bold new ideas. If it wasn't Ubisoft, it would've been Activision, or 2K, or some other major player (well, obviously not Warner). Expect a safe grabbag of everything popular Ubisoft open world game with a Star Wars veneer. Possibly GaaS, probably multiplayer, definitely monetized up the ass.
That is a really irks me. They are complete cowards.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
I mean, they can't try anything *new*, a "fan" would firebomb their studio.
Has a studio ever been firebombed? Fans may get angry and capital G Gamer may throw some inane rant online as a pity party, but from what we see from the lootbox scandal there wasn't indignant retribution on EA. Just impotent anger online as older generations grow to accept their powerlessness at fighting bad industry practices

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Has a studio ever been firebombed? Fans may get angry and capital G Gamer may throw some inane rant online as a pity party, but from what we see from the lootbox scandal there wasn't indignant retribution on EA. Just impotent anger online as older generations grow to accept their powerlessness at fighting bad industry practices
You probably need to add death threats in there

Reactions: BrawlMan

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Star Wars: Squadrons. A VR space combat game; I don't really know anything about it.
In general terms, its fun but shorter than you would hope - like most current VR games. Either its the memory required for them, or just an unwillingness to fully commit to a game system where you're still learning how to communicate controls effectively, particularly where competing options have differing controllers and such that make a standardized control system difficult.

The control system isn't as deep as something like Elite Dangerous for instance, but the fact is that I don't really want to try to use Oculus controllers to flya Python without my nice familiar keyboard shortcuts anyway. Too much crap to keep track of.

Reactions: Bedinsis

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I mean, they can't try anything *new*, a "fan" would firebomb their studio.
I think the issue is that the things they try are not being tried because they're new, rather, because they wanna turn SW into something specific, but they're just using the fact that they're new as a shield from criticism.

Trust me, if they took SW and gave it to cyberconnect 2 and had them make a game like Asura's Wrath based on it, a super over the top, animelike macho ode to hype, replete with bathing scenes and planets being punched in the face, people would love the fuck out of that, despite being new.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Say "No XP boosters!", then add them a month after launch in a patch, all sneaky like. Brilliant!

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
The irony is that for my entire playthrough of AC:V I was chronically overleveled. Even if I had only done like half of the side content (but who DOES THAT?!) I'd still have been comfortably sitting several levels over recommended. In Odyssey the grind could feel punishing, but in Valhalla XP flies straight into your face all the time. Who needs those boosters?
I've heard other people say the same thing. It's possible that the devs designed the game without XP boosters in mind and someone in sales forced the issue after the leveling curve was already in place, thus the reason why the Booster feels so pointless.

Reactions: deleted20220709

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I've heard other people say the same thing. It's possible that the devs designed the game without XP boosters in mind and someone in sales forced the issue after the leveling curve was already in place, thus the reason why the Booster feels so pointless.
Yeah the level of progression was one of the few issues I had with Ghost of Tsushima. It felt very fast. And if you did all the side content, which, I mean why wouldn't you? They were really cool mini-stories with the supporting cast, you would end up with more talent points than you had things to buy, roughly around the START of act 3. So yeah, I think there are some issues in the current generation of XP/Leveling games, when it comes to balancing difficulty with progression.

I seem to recall a similar thing with AC:Odyssey, that I never really felt out classed by anyone, except for the various bounty hunters that could vary WILDLY in level. Other than that, even going against higher level people, as an assassin build, it wasn't too hard to take them down quick with the right abilities and gear.

Reactions: Dalisclock

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I sure can't wait to collect 50 kyber crystals marked on the map in order to unlock the rainbow lightsaber....

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Guys, there is also a rumor regarding KOTOR remake in the works, but EA and Bioware aren't involved in it

If this turns out to be true.... then there just might be a new hope in this era of sw games
At this point, I wouldn't want Bioware invovled in KOTOR. They need to prove they can fix their mistakes with Mass Effect before I want to see them do another SW game.

Reactions: BrawlMan