Disney's Big Hero 6 Introduces Teen Superheroes

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I'll be honest, this trailer kinda put me off the movie. I mean, yeah, I knew it was based on a superhero property, but the majority of previous trailers at least highlighted, if not focused on the relationship between Hiro and Baymax. The prospect of good, emotional writing, dealing with ideas of childhood and coming of age got me more interested than any kind of action the trailer could produce.

Maybe that'll still exist in the film. All I can hope for is that there's more Disney than Marvel in the final product.*

*Yes, I'm aware of the irony that most people are probably hoping for the opposite.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Basement Cat said:
GeneralFungi said:
It looks like it's in Japan to me, especially in one of the later clips where he is running through the streets. I'm pretty sure I saw Cherry Blossom trees in the background. I think the main character and his family are definitely Asian, it's just that the art style just makes the differences very subtle. Perhaps I'm just full of myself but I feel like I can see the difference. His friends definitely look like they're from the west though.
I just rewatched the trailer and lo and behold--I paid attention to their names! *rolls eyes at my prior lack of perspicacity*

Hiro's name is...Hiro! His older brother's name is...Tadashi! Both are traditional male Japanese names. There are scenes of Japanese public buses, Japanese art, cherry trees...

OTOH, there are white and black characters and a bridge that looks suspiciously like San Francisco's bay bridge. OTOH, that twilight scene when they're flying over a city harbor looks a lot like Tokyo.

Ah, screw it. I'm Googling it.

*Does 10 seconds of research*

FOUND IT!

Plot

Set in a fictional metropolis called San Fransokyo (a portmanteau of San Francisco and Tokyo), a young robotics prodigy named Hiro Hamada and his robot Baymax uncover a criminal plot and pull together a team of inexperienced crime-fighters, including Wasabi, Honey Lemon, GoGo Tomago, and Fred to solve the mystery surrounding the crime.
Smart, really! Solves everything by coming up with a U.S./Japanese amalgam.

Basement Cat approves.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

[small]Basement Cat sulks at being ninja'd.[/small]
I'm gonna play Captain Obvious here for a second. All that information is also included in the article beside the video.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
This looks like a lot of fun, but seems well-grounded in a functional world. It's for the best that the Marvel angle isn't in the spotlight. Guardians benefited from giving the audience a fresh start for the characters, so too will Big Hero 6.