Disney's Descendants Trailer Looks Like The High-School Movie You Imagined

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Disney's Descendants Trailer Looks Like The High-School Movie You Imagined

In Descendants, the children of iconic Disney villains help their parents conquer the world - while adjusting to the ups and downs of high school.

Classic Disney movies are kind of a big deal right now (don't know why? <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/8507-Frozen>Just let it go), which means we're seeing many revisionist takes on the originals. Perhaps the most unique of the bunch is <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139289-Poison-Apple-Doesnt-Fall-Far-In-First-Teaser-For-Disneys-Descendants-Series>Descendants, a TV movie starring <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135455-Disneys-Descendants-Teen-Children-of-Famous-Villains-Go-to-School>the children of iconic Disney villains. It's the kind of high-concept that's bizarre to imagine beforehand, but thankfully Disney has presented a full trailer - proving that Descendants is very much a campy school comedy.

Descendants is set in a shared Disney universe where instead of dying, the major villains from various films were imprisoned on a lawless secluded island. The mainland is ruled by a now-human Beast and Queen Belle, whose son just issued his first royal decree - that the children of villains be allowed to leave the island and integrate with normal society. But four of the evil parents - Cruella Deville, Jafar, Maleficent, and Snow White's Evil Queen - realize their children could finally complete a plan for world domination.

That is, if they're not distracted by the pressures of high school.

Yes, as the trailer heavily implies, Descendants is a high-school movie before anything else. Carlos, Jay, Mal, and Evie must enter a prestigious academy where they're expected to wear uniforms, start romances, and behave like respectable Disney characters - something none of them have experience doing. But if they fail their tasks, the biggest threat won't be failing a test or missing the dance - it's facing their parents, who can imagine countless deadly punishments for them all.

Campy is perhaps the best way to describe Descendant's trailer, especially with its kitchen sink approach of fitting every villain onto the prison island. It certainly doesn't help that the jokes are overly simplistic, or that Maleficent looks like she's channeling <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rita_Repulsa>Rita Repulsa more than Angelina Jolie. But there is a certain subversive pleasure in fitting villainous characters to high school tropes - or Maleficent going into dragon mode on the island. I also wouldn't mind finding out exactly why Carlos is terrified of tiny dogs. We'll see what happens when it releases on the Disney channel this summer.

Aetrion

May 19, 2012
I thought Maleficent was no longer a villain after they gave her her own movie. Now she looks like some power rangers bad guy.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Well, this looks weird and cheesy, then again, I don't have much faith in Disney's live action TV these days... The idea is neat... not sure about the execution.

Wait, if the Disney villains had kids, does that mean they... Yeah I'm not going to finish that thought, for the sake of my sanity.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Travis Fischer said:
This looks stupid. But it looks like my kind of stupid.
Amen.

Still, why do I suddenly have the image of Aladdin as Jafar's bastard son? I mean, seriously, his kid appears to be essentially Aladdin...

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I'll check it out. I think I get Disney on my fetch TV.

I get Disney Junior.

Scytail

Jan 26, 2010
Wow, those kid names are awful. I mean, its pretty easy to tell just by costume which kid is which, but you cant come up with better names than minor deviations of the parent's name? How the hell did old and non-magical Cruella have a kid anyway and it not come out retarded? Im guessing she shacked up with a Spanish/Hispanic dude because "Carlos" doesn't strike me as a very common British name.

Edit: Upon seeing the trailer I see they just made Cruella an ambiguous person of color which makes 0 sense.

Fanghawk said:
I also wouldn't mind finding out exactly why Carlos is terrified of tiny dogs.
Really? You cant imagine why the offspring of Cruella might not like dogs? There was that movie with 101 of them.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
My cynical levels reached 11 when I read the title of the article then slowly went down and evolved into snickers once I finished reading. Still not going to watch it for the cheese factor alone, but at least it doesn't take itself too seriously.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
I, just.. this is... This looks really bad and I'm light years away from the target audience, and yet there are parts of me that kind of want to see this o_O

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
I'm confused... I get that the Evil Queen was never named in the source material, but it's asinine that they'd skip naming her in something wherein she is referred to by name. I mean, the whole thing keeps feeling more and more "off", but it's these little things that get to me the most.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Wow. I've never even watched Power Rangers and yet I still see Rita Repulsa.

This movie looks offensively stupid.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
Wait, I thought this was going to be a TV series? But god damn that looks campy, dunno if I could stand the whole thing in one sitting.