Disrespect? Who's to blame?

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
Try being religious on the internet, it's ten times worse I am told. If there's anything to be learned, it's that that they lack is respect for your faith, and it's a pain in the ass. The moral? Respect a persons right to faith (Or lack thereof), even if you think their faith is pure bollocks.

As for your problem, all you can do is continue to assert your atheism and avoid the more serious offenders. You could become an unrivalled ass like Richard Dawkins if you wanted, but when your beliefs become justification for injustice... well... you sort of lose your integrity and your right to be unhassled all in one go.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
Same with me where I live its all conservatives. They all try and say this and that to me but I just ignore them and go on with my life. If there actually you're friends then they wouldn't be trying to convert you..so the best thing you should do is ignore them and think of how funny it would be if there pants fell off during the middle of their conversion speech.*sometimes its funny but otherwise its disturbing to imagine someone without their pants...take precaution*

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
unabomberman said:
SuperMse said:
unabomberman said:
There is no god.

Somehow people believe differently, well, that's their bussiness, and godspeed to them, but, really...why should you bother?

There is no god. Be happy.
BOLD TEXT HAS BEEN MADE BOLD BY ME

*chuckles at mild irony*
Chuckles indeed...
Sorry If I offended you, but I just tend to tease people about these kinds of coincidences. You have all the right to use the word godspeed in that sentence, it is applicable after all, but I still found its placement rather...comical.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
SuperMse said:
unabomberman said:
SuperMse said:
unabomberman said:
There is no god.

Somehow people believe differently, well, that's their bussiness, and godspeed to them, but, really...why should you bother?

*chuckles at mild irony*
Chuckles indeed...
Sorry If I offended you, but I just tend to tease people about these kinds of coincidences. You have all the right to use the word godspeed in that sentence, it is applicable after all, but I still found its placement rather...comical.
Sorry if it came out wrong, but I was actually agreeing with your sentiment because it is funny, though not intended, if you look at it closely.

I'll try to correct my mistake:

Chuckles indeed!:)

Hope that clears it. I actually did have a good laugh once you pointed it out because-yes-it looks so wrong if you think about it in that context.

So, again, no worries.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
unabomberman said:
SuperMse said:
unabomberman said:
SuperMse said:
unabomberman said:
There is no god.

*chuckles at mild irony*
Chuckles indeed...
Sorry if it came out wrong, but I was actually agreeing with your sentiment because it is funny, though not intended, if you look at it closely.

I'll try to correct my mistake:

Chuckles indeed!:)

Hope that clears it. I actually did have a good laugh once you pointed it out because-yes-it looks so wrong if you think about it in that context.

So, again, no worries.
Thanks; I was worried I had upset you. I'm glad I didn't =D

Sep 8, 2008
this doesnt tend to help much with the type of people that wont stop but try "i think the things you believe in hurt the world, and i have a fondness for you, so i think , and know your faith is important to you, so i dont try to convert you to my way of thinking. please, extend the same courtesy to me." or "shut the fuck up with your insane cult, or never speak to me again, i have declined politely, but you dont seem to take the hint. do whatever you want to yourself, its your life, but i would like to ask that you not ruin mine" or, alternatively, if your homosexual and theyre heterosexual, try accepting, pretending your really into the religion, then ask if they want to hang out at some point, say you will pick them up, do so, then gradually turn up the agressiveness on trying to get into their pants for the rest of the night. when it reaches the point where they admit that this is awkward, and really freaking them out, explain that you were just trying to make a point. thats the funny way at least.

Trace2010

Aug 10, 2008
No,calling them out would not make you an asshole, but if you choose to keep your friends in the dark as to why their conversation would make you uncomfortable- PROBLEM.

YouGetWhatsGiven said:
No, your not. If they where really their friends, they would learn not to piss you off. Some relgious people can be like that.
Yes, we can be, especially if there are no indications that said topic makes you feel uncomfortable. Also, if they are enjoying said conversation by themselves before you arrive and choose to continue it in your presence, simply not contributing to the conversation is an acceptable solution. Even better would be changing the subject.

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
Better ways to make yourself understood than petty insults exist. Though it sounds like you may be hanging out with fairly dense people.

mark_n_b

Mar 24, 2008
Kogarian said:
I'm going to go ahead off and explain that I'm an atheist. I'm pretty liberal (compared to those around me). I try to be open and respectful to the ideas around me.
oh really?
I live in a really conservative and Christian-dominated area. As such, the vast majority of my friends are Christians and conservative.
I'm sure
And so are many of the idiots around me.
it's a good thing you told me you are open and respectful, because you sound like an asshole there.
The thing is, the people considered my closest friends are those who don't discuss religion much and aren't judgemental,
OK, close friends don't talk about religion...
while my more distant friends are religious but nice.
"distant friends" do. More of that open respectfulness I suppose.
Normally, I keep quiet when people discuss things. I don't talk about my 'views on the after-life' as I learned it pisses people off.
Good policy, why stir the waters, right.
Recently, though, I've starting becoming more vocal about things in school. Whenever someone brings up some religious aspect during a history, science, or english class, I some how find a way to piss them off just so they shut up about it.
oh wait, you weren't done. I suppose if you back paddle like that, you want to stir the waters.
(Ex. Someone was talking about how the true meaning of the Christmas tree is just a metaphor for Jesus, while I mentioned that I thought it was a pagan tradition.). Things that aren't untrue, but anger them nevertheless.
The thing being is the origins of the Christmas tree aside, why was it adopted as a common symbol within the religion. And I am sure you were as non-confrontational at the time.
Many of my more distant friends have noticed this. Being nice, they haven't said anything insulting to me. Instead, they've been trying to convert me.
The atheist mantra:
"I don't believe in God"
"I do"
"Why would you believe in God?"
"It's because ..., do you understand?"
"Do I understand?!? you're trying to convert me!"
I put up with this for the better part of the year.
I'm sure.
However, I can't stand it anymore.
says the open and understanding guy.
I tried to passively push them away,
passively? and since when do open respectful people push ideas and others away? Is this a new way of being open and understanding?
but they just come on stronger.
ever consider listening instead of pushing? It's human nature, if you're going to fight other people will fight back.
I told a few to just stop.
passive, open, and respectful. Good job
But it still continued. I finally snapped a few times in the past couple of months.
You? From the story you've told so far I can hardly believe.
Once I called one friend a 'slutface' in front of her group of friends
you're an asshole.
that have been trying to convert me for a while
Yeah... see above.
(that's my nickname for her, so she wasn't too mad).
you're a total asshole.
Most of the friends who witnessed it became very angry and started insulting me.
I wonder why.
One thirty-some-year-old I don't even know somehow found out and told me he'd teach me 'respect', but he relayed it through someone else.
so he didn't tell you he'd teach you some 'respect'? Dramatic.
I know verbally insulting someone just because they're frustrating you is childish at best, d**kish as worst.
Here is the first thing you've said that has some merit to it. You should internalize this concept much, much better.
But here's what I want to know. Am I soley to blame for this? Was I just being a prick? Because that's what some have told me.
They were right. By your own admission these aren't evil or vicious people trying to force anything on you, they are your friends. If talking about certain subjects causes discomfort and fights, you shouldn't discuss it. And it sounds more like this is an ongoing teenage "who's right" discussion than an active effort to convert. Bring up Top Model and all of a sudden no one is saying you should come to church.
Or is trying to convert someone for over a year after they even told you to stop make them at fault?
It is a part of a Jehovah Witness' faith to invite others into their church, for them it is a way of showing respect to God, the church, and their fellow man. As an open and respectful person would you be open to and respect that, or would you snap?
Or was it just one of those things that are bound to happen because someone has different views?
That is a bullshit cop out. Having different views doesn't mean you have to call someone "slut-face" and it is no excuse either. Thinking like that leads to ongoing hatred. Who's at fault for the disrespect in the world? It is kids like you, whether they are religious or not, it is the same behavior and the same attitude that drives it.

I have no doubt that more than one of these "friends" of yours are just as guilty of it, but learn a thing or two, instead of saying "your wrong" try saying "I've learned this" try explaining how different faiths and cultures respond to the same events. Jesus is seen as a prophet in Islam, Sikhism observes a lot of the same philosophies of Christianity, how do they express this? Knowledge is a powerful tool, and it is a way of expressing your beliefs without projecting judgment on anyone else. Show respect and awareness for the spiritual world and no one will judge you and your views.

And don't expect to read a book and it'll all start going your way. You've clearly burned more than one bridge and clearly have a lot of growing up to do. But I'm not an atheist, I know many atheists (and Jews and Buddhists and Muslims, even a legitimate practicing pagan) and I never call them "slut-face"

Now seriously... How many of these threads need to get locked before people stop putting them up.

Scarecrow38

Apr 17, 2008
People who believe in something often don't like being near someone who doesn't share the belief. So they try to convince someone about something that is actually impossible to convince people about: religion.

It's no ones fault, it's just how people roll.

Goldbling

Nov 21, 2008
mark_n_b said:
Kogarian said:
I'm going to go ahead off and explain that I'm an atheist. I'm pretty liberal (compared to those around me). I try to be open and respectful to the ideas around me.
oh really?
I live in a really conservative and Christian-dominated area. As such, the vast majority of my friends are Christians and conservative.
I'm sure
it's a good thing you told me you are open and respectful, because you sound like an asshole there.
The thing is, the people considered my closest friends are those who don't discuss religion much and aren't judgemental,
Normally, I keep quiet when people discuss things. I don't talk about my 'views on the after-life' as I learned it pisses people off.
Recently, though, I've starting becoming more vocal about things in school. Whenever someone brings up some religious aspect during a history, science, or english class, I some how find a way to piss them off just so they shut up about it.
oh wait, you weren't done. I suppose if you back paddle like that, you want to stir the waters.
(Ex. Someone was talking about how the true meaning of the Christmas tree is just a metaphor for Jesus, while I mentioned that I thought it was a pagan tradition.). Things that aren't untrue, but anger them nevertheless.
The thing being is the origins of the Christmas tree aside, why was it adopted as a common symbol within the religion. And I am sure you were as non-confrontational at the time.
Many of my more distant friends have noticed this. Being nice, they haven't said anything insulting to me. Instead, they've been trying to convert me.
The atheist mantra:
"I don't believe in God"
"I do"
I'm sure.
passively? and since when do open respectful people push ideas and others away? Is this a new way of being open and understanding?
ever consider listening instead of pushing? It's human nature, if you're going to fight other people will fight back.
But it still continued. I finally snapped a few times in the past couple of months.
you're an asshole.
Yeah... see above.
you're a total asshole.
Most of the friends who witnessed it became very angry and started insulting me.
I wonder why.
One thirty-some-year-old I don't even know somehow found out and told me he'd teach me 'respect', but he relayed it through someone else.
I know verbally insulting someone just because they're frustrating you is childish at best, d**kish as worst.
Here is the first thing you've said that has some merit to it. You should internalize this concept much, much better.
But here's what I want to know. Am I soley to blame for this? Was I just being a prick? Because that's what some have told me.
They were right. By your own admission these aren't evil or vicious people trying to force anything on you, they are your friends. If talking about certain subjects causes discomfort and fights, you shouldn't discuss it. And it sounds more like this is an ongoing teenage "who's right" discussion than an active effort to convert. Bring up Top Model and all of a sudden no one is saying you should come to church.
Or is trying to convert someone for over a year after they even told you to stop make them at fault?
It is a part of a Jehovah Witness' faith to invite others into their church, for them it is a way of showing respect to God, the church, and their fellow man. As an open and respectful person would you be open to and respect that, or would you snap?
Or was it just one of those things that are bound to happen because someone has different views?
That is a bullshit cop out. Having different views doesn't mean you have to call someone "slut-face" and it is no excuse either. Thinking like that leads to ongoing hatred. Who's at fault for the disrespect in the world? It is kids like you, whether they are religious or not, it is the same behavior and the same attitude that drives it.

I have no doubt that more than one of these "friends" of yours are just as guilty of it, but learn a thing or two, instead of saying "your wrong" try saying "I've learned this" try explaining how different faiths and cultures respond to the same events. Jesus is seen as a prophet in Islam, Sikhism observes a lot of the same philosophies of Christianity, how do they express this? Knowledge is a powerful tool, and it is a way of expressing your beliefs without projecting judgment on anyone else. Show respect and awareness for the spiritual world and no one will judge you and your views.

And don't expect to read a book and it'll all start going your way. You've clearly burned more than one bridge and clearly have a lot of growing up to do. But I'm not an atheist, I know many atheists (and Jews and Buddhists and Muslims, even a legitimate practicing pagan) and I never call them "slut-face"

Now seriously... How many of these threads need to get locked before people stop putting them up.
^THIS

I lol'd at most everyhthing

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
No, what you did was a natural defensive reaction that had been building up for a while. You might not have dealt with it in the best manner, but say you were being a dick is harsh, and comes from people who obviously have no idea about the issue.

These people were disrespectful of your outlook on life, and this older person who found out about it should keep his damn nose out of it, as it has absolutely nothing to do with him. Your previous reluctance to discuss a sensitive issue is about the most respectful thing your story tells of.

RetiarySword

Apr 27, 2008
Kogarian said:
I'm going to go ahead off and explain that I'm an atheist. I'm pretty liberal (compared to those around me). I try to be open and respectful to the ideas around me. I live in a really conservative and Christian-dominated area. As such, the vast majority of my friends are Christians and conservative. And so are many of the idiots around me. The thing is, the people considered my closest friends are those who don't discuss religion much and aren't judgemental, while my more distant friends are religious but nice.

Normally, I keep quiet when people discuss things. I don't talk about my 'views on the after-life' as I learned it pisses people off. Recently, though, I've starting becoming more vocal about things in school. Whenever someone brings up some religious aspect during a history, science, or english class, I some how find a way to piss them off just so they shut up about it. (Ex. Someone was talking about how the true meaning of the Christmas tree is just a metaphor for Jesus, while I mentioned that I thought it was a pagan tradition.). Things that aren't untrue, but anger them nevertheless.

Many of my more distant friends have noticed this. Being nice, they haven't said anything insulting to me. Instead, they've been trying to convert me. I put up with this for the better part of the year. However, I can't stand it anymore. I tried to passively push them away, but they just come on stronger. I told a few to just stop. But it still continued. I finally snapped a few times in the past couple of months. Once I called one friend a 'slutface' in front of her group of friends that have been trying to convert me for a while (that's my nickname for her, so she wasn't too mad). Most of the friends who witnessed it became very angry and started insulting me. One thirty-some-year-old I don't even know somehow found out and told me he'd teach me 'respect', but he relayed it through someone else.

I know verbally insulting someone just because they're frustrating you is childish at best, d**kish as worst. But here's what I want to know. Am I soley to blame for this? Was I just being a prick? Because that's what some have told me. Or is trying to convert someone for over a year after they even told you to stop make them at fault? Or was it just one of those things that are bound to happen because someone has different views?

-EDIT- In NO way am I trying to insult an entire religion or group of people here.

Your mostley in the right. You respected their beleifs and thay are trying to push them on to you. If they were proper friends they would respect your life choices. But antagonising the class while fun, is out of order. A good rule to follow is 'If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it'.

Nomad

Dire Penguin
Aug 3, 2008
mark_n_b said:
[...]
you're an asshole.
[...]
you're a total asshole.
[...]
Having different views doesn't mean you have to call someone "slut-face" and it is no excuse either.
Oh, the irony...

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
Goldbling said:
mark_n_b said:
Kogarian said:
oh really?
I'm sure
The atheist mantra:
"I don't believe in God"
"I do"
I'm sure.
you're an asshole.
Yeah... see above.
you're a total asshole.
I wonder why.

Pretty much what this guy said.

I'm not an athiest either. I believe in God, Jesus, and I hold tight to my Christian beliefs. They have gotten me through some of the worst times in my life. However, there is something that I have learned that (believe it or not) can help both Christians and athiests alike.

"Is it better to believe in God because someone tells you to, or because you truly want to?"

If you can't say you want to, then why try? Does a belief really have meaning if you believe it because someone forced it on you, or you believe out of fear? No, not really...

CapnGod

Sep 6, 2008
RetiarySword said:
Kogarian said:
I'm going to go ahead off and explain that I'm an atheist. I'm pretty liberal (compared to those around me). I try to be open and respectful to the ideas around me. I live in a really conservative and Christian-dominated area. As such, the vast majority of my friends are Christians and conservative. And so are many of the idiots around me. The thing is, the people considered my closest friends are those who don't discuss religion much and aren't judgemental, while my more distant friends are religious but nice.

Normally, I keep quiet when people discuss things. I don't talk about my 'views on the after-life' as I learned it pisses people off. Recently, though, I've starting becoming more vocal about things in school. Whenever someone brings up some religious aspect during a history, science, or english class, I some how find a way to piss them off just so they shut up about it. (Ex. Someone was talking about how the true meaning of the Christmas tree is just a metaphor for Jesus, while I mentioned that I thought it was a pagan tradition.). Things that aren't untrue, but anger them nevertheless.

Many of my more distant friends have noticed this. Being nice, they haven't said anything insulting to me. Instead, they've been trying to convert me. I put up with this for the better part of the year. However, I can't stand it anymore. I tried to passively push them away, but they just come on stronger. I told a few to just stop. But it still continued. I finally snapped a few times in the past couple of months. Once I called one friend a 'slutface' in front of her group of friends that have been trying to convert me for a while (that's my nickname for her, so she wasn't too mad). Most of the friends who witnessed it became very angry and started insulting me. One thirty-some-year-old I don't even know somehow found out and told me he'd teach me 'respect', but he relayed it through someone else.

I know verbally insulting someone just because they're frustrating you is childish at best, d**kish as worst. But here's what I want to know. Am I soley to blame for this? Was I just being a prick? Because that's what some have told me. Or is trying to convert someone for over a year after they even told you to stop make them at fault? Or was it just one of those things that are bound to happen because someone has different views?

-EDIT- In NO way am I trying to insult an entire religion or group of people here.

Your mostley in the right. You respected their beleifs and thay are trying to push them on to you. If they were proper friends they would respect your life choices. But antagonising the class while fun, is out of order. A good rule to follow is 'If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it'.
And yet, christians so rarely take that advice about not having anything nice to say. Their savior is really anything but nice.

http://godisimaginary.com/video1.htm

Nomadic said:
mark_n_b said:
[...]
you're an asshole.
[...]
you're a total asshole.
[...]
Having different views doesn't mean you have to call someone "slut-face" and it is no excuse either.
Oh, the irony...
I love it.

Kogarian

Feb 24, 2008
Ultrajoe said:
As for your problem, all you can do is continue to assert your atheism and avoid the more serious offenders. You could become an unrivalled ass like Richard Dawkins if you wanted, but when your beliefs become justification for injustice... well... you sort of lose your integrity and your right to be unhassled all in one go.
Good point, I never thought of it like that.