Dissapointed in RIFT's subscription status

Kilgengoor

Sep 7, 2010
Woodsey said:
Sorry, are you saying they're charging you to be in the beta?
No, they are just disappointed at the company asking for a monthly fee once the game went commercial. They played the beta free and thought they wouldn't charge for the fll game as well.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Kilgengoor said:
Woodsey said:
Sorry, are you saying they're charging you to be in the beta?
No, they are just disappointed at the company asking for a monthly fee once the game went commercial. They played the beta free and thought they wouldn't charge for the fll game as well.
Ahem:

LOL.

What did they expect? Of course a beta's going to be free, and more than likely there's going to be a monthly fee for a MMO.

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
The subscription fee is a bigger 'value for money' equation, because your constantly shelling out money for the same game.
If the subscription fee is $15 a month, then that's equal to buying a quarter of a game every month.
If you pay $15 on that mmorpg and don't buy a new game, you save $45.

Yaaaay.

Rusko

Feb 6, 2011
Honestly this post was completely pointless because it does state on Rift's website that it will cost a monthly subscription. You kids seriously need to learn to read up about a game before you have your lil hearts broken.

BTW, I've been playing Rift beta and the content is amazing, especially the invasions from Rifts to Footholds, it's massive.

Well worth a monthly subscription to me! I just had to create an account to state that people seriously need to read up about a game before expecting it to be free or whatever.

Thanks, first and last post.

Mortum

Feb 8, 2011
I would like to put in firstly i'm not saying that people shouldn't play rift and that monthly fees are wrong, although i have not read up indepth about Rift not being that much of an online gamer myelf i have played the beta i would like to agree with rusko that the game is very good even if they still have to work out alot of bugs that are still in the game (like not defineing players resulting in being able to walk through each other(that i found pretty amuseing tbh)) but i would also like to say that i agree with many of the people saying that monthly fees are bad in my opinion although i know they have to get the money to keep it going from somewhere,i think they are unfair sometimes because games like WOW, they create the basic layout on the first game (that where all the work is) but then add on it and sell it as lots of little expansions all costing around £30 or $50 depending on where you live and buy them from these expansions are some much easyier to make you can see this if you've ever tryed moding games but thats more of a problem with expansions rather than monthly fees, i think that it is bad mostly because there are some online MMo's that are come out that have no monthly fees (guild wars 2 thats coming out soon and looks very nice i must add) and they seem to be able to cover the costs and make a profit so the line about it being there to cover the costs doesn't really fit in my opinion any more.

anyway thats just my opinion and as i said i'm not a huge mmo player so there are probably some holes in my argument

P.S. the monthly fees for Rift yes it says on there website but it doesn't advertise it very much and doesn't say what they will be as of yet or at least i can find where it says it, anyway hope anyone who buys the game has alot of fun playing and remember to send in to the rift team about any glitchs that are in the game that you have seen from the beta because even though i'm unlikely to buy it, i'm intested in how the final product will look

Samarith

Feb 20, 2010
[/quote]
Ironic Pirate said:
Jasper Jeffs said:
Ironic Pirate said:
Jasper Jeffs said:
I always assume MMORPG's have a subscription fee, only the shit ones don't. I think you're being pretty greedy. As for subscription fees in general, I prefer them. I'd rather pay £8 a month for an MMO with unlimited content than pay £40 for new releases that last under three days, with shit online components in an attempt to make them last longer. People always associate monthly fees with being ripped off, it's quite fun to read.
Except they often don't. Rehashed quests and some new items justify a subscription fee do not.

Some games periodically add meaningful content. Most don't. 15 dollars is a quarter of the price of the original content, do you even get ten percent worth of new stuff each month? No? Then a fee isn't justified.
Read the guy above you.
Yes, MMOs are addictive. However, that still doesn't (to me at least) justify continual payment.

For me to pay additional money, I need an additional amount of content. For MMOS, this could work by only giving people the new stuff if they pay for it. Expansions, basically.

Also, "See the guy above you" doesn't really count as a response. Just rehash what he said, or quote both of us.
Damn but I can just picture you by the side of the road screaming at your car that it had petrol in it when you bought it. Why you should have to put more in, after all you already paid for the car.

The arguements with a mechanic should be stunning too. 'What do you mean you want to charge me every year for a safety check AND I have to pay for fixing things that go wrong? But..but that doesn't add any new functionality to my car...you're charging me to fix broken functionality...that's wrong'

The thought of you owning a house...well best I don't think about that.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Ironic Pirate said:
Jasper Jeffs said:
Ironic Pirate said:
Jasper Jeffs said:
I always assume MMORPG's have a subscription fee, only the shit ones don't. I think you're being pretty greedy. As for subscription fees in general, I prefer them. I'd rather pay £8 a month for an MMO with unlimited content than pay £40 for new releases that last under three days, with shit online components in an attempt to make them last longer. People always associate monthly fees with being ripped off, it's quite fun to read.
Except they often don't. Rehashed quests and some new items justify a subscription fee do not.

Some games periodically add meaningful content. Most don't. 15 dollars is a quarter of the price of the original content, do you even get ten percent worth of new stuff each month? No? Then a fee isn't justified.
Read the guy above you.
Yes, MMOs are addictive. However, that still doesn't (to me at least) justify continual payment.

For me to pay additional money, I need an additional amount of content. For MMOS, this could work by only giving people the new stuff if they pay for it. Expansions, basically.

Also, "See the guy above you" doesn't really count as a response. Just rehash what he said, or quote both of us.
Damn but I can just picture you by the side of the road screaming at your car that it had petrol in it when you bought it. Why you should have to put more in, after all you already paid for the car.

The arguements with a mechanic should be stunning too. 'What do you mean you want to charge me every year for a safety check AND I have to pay for fixing things that go wrong? But..but that doesn't add any new functionality to my car...you're charging me to fix broken functionality...that's wrong'

The thought of you owning a house...well best I don't think about that.[/quote]

Except that I'm getting new gas. New. Additional to the original amount.

If I pay per month for an MMO, am I guaranteed to get fifteen dollars a month in new content? How much does WoW add a month? How much?

Your mechanic argument baffles the mind in it's sheer misunderstanding of my point, so I won't even address it.

Do you actually know how owning a house works? Those continual payments aren't some magic amount of money per month, you're paying off the loan you took out to buy the house. You still owe the original cost, you're paying in installments. This point is even more nonsensical than your one about the mechanic.

Alright, since you totally misunderstood me, I'm going to assume it was my fault, that I didn't explain it right.

I do not want to pay money for a game without an equivalent increase in content. With gas, I only pay for as much as I use. On a certain level, the same with a mechanic. WoW, I pay 15 dollars a month, regardless of how much I play it or how much they add to it. To me, that seems like a rip-off, as I am continually paying for the same content, with the occasional minor updates.

Samarith

Feb 20, 2010
I do not want to pay money for a game without an equivalent increase in content. With gas, I only pay for as much as I use. On a certain level, the same with a mechanic. WoW, I pay 15 dollars a month, regardless of how much I play it or how much they add to it. To me, that seems like a rip-off, as I am continually paying for the same content, with the occasional minor updates.

I see your point, you saying you should pay for additional functionality/content and be billed for time spent logged into the server. I dare say we'll see this payment model in an MMO at some point, micropay games are already close though I don't know one that charges per hour.

I had thought you just wanted to buy content once and have totally unlimited free usage. In my car analogy that would be, I already paid for the home to work route, so there should never be a cost for doing that again.

Personally I prefer the 'all-you-can-eat' monthly fixed fee because I play a lot but I also support your pricing model in some ways (I have a pay-as-you-go phone plan)

I judge an MMO by time spent enjoying it vs monthly cost. I always get 100 hours+ of play time in the first month (well with one exception), so 40p/hour in the first month and then 9p/hour in the subsequent months.