Divinity: Dragon Commander Review

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Sorry, I just got stuck on the whole half-dragon thing, are your siblings all from the same clutch? did your dad... maybe I don't want to know.

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
Endocrom said:
Sorry, I just got stuck on the whole half-dragon thing, are your siblings all from the same clutch? did your dad... maybe I don't want to know.
Player is a bastard son, so the (half-)siblings had the human queen.
The better question is, was the upbringing in mammal- or reptile-style.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Bought the game on Tuesday after I got home from work and I so far I am loving it. The character interactions are the best part of the game in my opinion. Edmund is great and Scarlett is awesome. Having to make political decisions is pretty nice too. I absolutely love the music in the game.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Bat Vader said:
I absolutely love the music in the game.
I'm not even a big fan of music but I definately noticed the score for this one.

So glad I pre-ordered and got the "CD" with it.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Abomination said:
Bat Vader said:
I absolutely love the music in the game.
I'm not even a big fan of music but I definately noticed the score for this one.

So glad I pre-ordered and got the "CD" with it.
Sadly I bought the regular edition and not the Imperial edition. When i learned the Imperial edition had the soundtrack I tried buying it from Steam but since I already have the game I can't buy it again for myself. I am hoping that in the future they put the soundtrack up for purchase.

John P. Hackworth

Sep 21, 2010
WMDogma said:
casual strategy title with a heavy emphasis on narrative
Sounds interesting to me. Too bad the RTS sections aren't great but I think I will check this game out when it hits the right price.

sibrenfetter

Oct 26, 2009
Wait the undead princess had breasts, how does that work? I guess fake tits don't rot away like the rest of the body? Please explain it to me as I am obviously very confused.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
sibrenfetter said:
Wait the undead princess had breasts, how does that work? I guess fake tits don't rot away like the rest of the body? Please explain it to me as I am obviously very confused.
She doesn't have breasts under normal circumstances (being a skeleton at all), but
you can do an event-chain with her in which she can either
a.) Become a beautiful busty blond buxom (Yay, alliteration!).
b.) Gets a high-tech mechanical body (kind of reminded me of EDI from Mass Effect).
c.) Gets a sewn-together Frankenstein's monster version of the first body.
She is also the nicest of the girls and her lines are written incredibly well. The others seem good as well, and I originally wanted to go with the lizard princess, but then Ophelia's introduction caught my interest and decided to see what she is about, and I wasn't disappointed.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
GabeZhul said:
sibrenfetter said:
She doesn't have breasts under normal circumstances (being a skeleton at all), but
b.) Gets a high-tech mechanical body (kind of reminded me of EDI from Mass Effect).
She is also the nicest of the girls and her lines are written incredibly well. The others seem good as well, and I originally wanted to go with the lizard princess, but then Ophelia's introduction caught my interest and decided to see what she is about, and I wasn't disappointed.
Best Princesses from 1-4 in my opinion.

Lizard - 1.
Undead- 2.
Dwarf-3/Elf-3/ and 4.

Last were shared because despite Elf being generic had the best comedy moments out of the 4.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
Ugh, it appears I have played myself into a corner in this game. I was playing as a liberal reformist kind of ruler, which resonated well with the elves and lizards and sometimes even with the imps, but the undead hated practically all my decisions... which would have been okay, since I really disliked the stupid religious fanatics, but then Act 3 came around with its ridiculously huge number of invasion forces and suddenly I found myself losing the war even though I had everything researched and almost 900 gold in my treasury because every time you piss off the undead the gods "curse you", which means a -2% autoresolve chance, and at this point it added up to something like 20%, which combined with the occasional negative support maluses meant I often lost half my defending forces even when they outnumbered the invading forces three to one, and unlike those guys I couldn't churn out thirty units a turn to replace them, so I was beaten into oblivion in ten turns. Not fun. -.-

Really, the way the game takes away all the player's units and resources at the end of each act is just artificial difficulty, and combined with the issues of the autoresolve system it's just sadistic.

That said, I think I will go ahead and fire up my copy of Cheat Engine and see if I can hack it so that I can play all the battles in RTS mode. Wish me luck.

sibrenfetter

Oct 26, 2009
GabeZhul said:
sibrenfetter said:
HAH! Thank you for the answer :-D Now I'm not confused anymore (regarding this aspect then).

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
The main thing bothering me is that it doesn't do well explaining the mechanics. "+20% motivation!" Uh...okay? Wtf does that mean? And I can't seem to find a guide on the internet either.