Divinity: Original Sin 2 Has an Official Release Date

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Has an Official Release Date

The latest Kickstarter backer update for Divinity: Original Sin 2 announces the game's official release date.

If you're a backer of Divinity: Original Sin 2 on Kickstarter, then you know that updates are a pretty regular thing. But today's backer update is more important than most, because amid all the news of a new home base on a warship and the debut of the relationship system is an even bigger announcement: Divinity: Original Sin 2 will leave Early Access for a full release on September 14, 2017.

The news comes inside a video that accompanied the backer update today.

The new patch adds The Lady Vengeance, a warship that will act as your home case in the game. There is no level switching required to visit The Lady Vengeance, so you can split your party between your home base and another part of the map.

Also added to the game in this update is the relationship system, which means that how you interact with your companions will influence how they feel about you. You might unlock new dialog options, or cause one of them to leave your party altogether.

You can check out all the changes in this update in the Kickstarter backer update [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/posts/1880762]. You can play the game right now in Early Access on Steam, as long as you're willing to plunk down the $44.99 asking price.

[gallery=7409]

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
At this point, the only thing I'm really concerned about is if we get to keep more than just the other three party members we choose at the beginning of the game. I keep leaving behind one of them and I want to know what his deal is, but I already have an established party set up.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
i still havent gotten out of the first town in the first game yet.. let alone this

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I'm looking forward to this coming to consoles (IF or) when that happens. I didn't buy the previous one the due to a lack of Race Selection. I'll be creating a Female Lizard.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I can't decide whether or not to look forward to this.

The first game was something of a gem, but it was marred by sooooo many shoddy design decisions.

Every ten minutes there would be another thing where I would shake me head and wonder how on earth nobody involved had seen that it was a shit idea.

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
Oh nice looking forward to this. I have stayed clear of the early access as I wanted the finer details to be new and fresh. I did watch the GM mode with Matt Mercer, and several streamers as the players, Jesse Cox, Strippin, Dodger etc, I really enjoyed it and was surprised how fast the time went by hehe.

Oh also the dev update, that guy is quite good at walking backwards or there were some retakes, I was holding my breath that he was going to fall especially at the stairs ugh lol.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
pookie101 said:
i still havent gotten out of the first town in the first game yet.. let alone this
Same... I tapped out a couple hours into the first game when I realized just what I was in for. A shame too, I really thought it was going to be something I would enjoy.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Zhukov said:

The first game was something of a gem, but it was marred by sooooo many shoddy design decisions.

Every ten minutes there would be another thing where I would shake me head and wonder how on earth nobody involved had seen that it was a shit idea.
Have any examples in mind? Because I loved Original Sin and I can't really remember anything that I thought was egregiously bad other than the crafting system.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Sight Unseen said:
Zhukov said:

Have any examples in mind? Because I loved Original Sin and I can't really remember anything that I thought was egregiously bad other than the crafting system.
Alrighty.

Well, you've anticipated one with the crafting system. Want to see what stats the item you're about to craft will have? Haha, nope! Want to control the visual appearance of the item you're making? Haha, nope! Also have fun save-scumming those randomized stats to get the one useful variant that you actually want.

The inventory system that makes you shuffle items between characters rather than just have them draw from a common inventory. Achieves nothing but a waste of your time as you search through up to four different inventories for that one bit of armour you're looking for. I realise there's a purpose for separate inventories in the multiplayer, but they need to fuck right off in single player.

There's the equipment degradation that achieves absolutely nothing except making you go through and click on each equipped item to repair, then wait for a very brief but utterly pointless progress bar for each one.

There's the item identification bullshit which works basically the same as the repairing system and equally useless.

Elemental damage doesn't scale with level so later on most of the various elemental interactions, which are the best and most distinctive part of the combat system, become meaningless. Combat loses its complexity and boils down to hitting enemies with disabling effects then checking what damage type they are weakest to and dumping a whole lot of it on them.

Ambient dialogue that repeats over and over. "No one has as many friend as the man with many cheeses. No one has as many friend as the man with many cheeses. No one has as many friend as the man with many cheeses. No one has as many friend as the man with many cheeses. NO ONE HAS AS MANY FRIENDS AS THE MAN WITH MANY CHEESES.

There's the story, which is shit. You're The Special(s) and Only You and Save The World from The Void Dragon and the Cult of blah-blah-blah-video-game-story-lol. The badness isn't the painful part though, the problem is how seemingly proud they were of their shit story and how they proceeded to frontload it something fierce. The starting area puts reams upon reams of shitty dialogue between the player and the good gameplay. You need only scroll up to see people who didn't manage to stick it out through Cyseal.

I expect I could think of more if I put my mind to it, but that should suffice.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Zhukov said:
The inventory system that makes you shuffle items between characters rather than just have them draw from a common inventory. Achieves nothing but a waste of your time as you search through up to four different inventories for that one bit of armour you're looking for. I realise there's a purpose for separate inventories in the multiplayer, but they need to fuck right off in single player.
Yeah, I played this in multiplayer so I didn't have a big problem with this, but can see how it'd be annoying in single player.

There's the equipment degradation that achieves absolutely nothing except making you go through and click on each equipped item to repair, then wait for a very brief but utterly pointless progress bar for each one.
Honestly forgot this was a thing. Equipment degradation systems in general don't usually work that well in games I find.

There's the item identification bullshit which works basically the same as the repairing system and equally useless.
I didn't really have a problem with this mechanic, it's kind of a classic RPG mechanic.

Elemental damage doesn't scale with level so later on most of the various elemental interactions, which are the best and most distinctive part of the combat system, become meaningless. Combat loses its complexity and boils down to hitting enemies with disabling effects then checking what damage type they are weakest to and dumping a whole lot of it on them.
Can't say I ever really noticed this tbh, but its been a long time since I played.

Ambient dialogue that repeats over and over. "No one has as many friend as the man with many cheeses. No one has as many friend as the man with many cheeses. No one has as many friend as the man with many cheeses. No one has as many friend as the man with many cheeses. NO ONE HAS AS MANY FRIENDS AS THE MAN WITH MANY CHEESES.
Don't you like cheese? What kind of monster are you who doesn't like cheese?

You need only scroll up to see people who didn't manage to stick it out through Cyseal.
Almost happened to me too. We had to start over and try again because we stopped prematurely the first time and forgot what was happening.