DLC for Dummies

Johnmw

Mar 19, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Good sir, you missed a critical part of my post:

'...poor attempt at trolling on my part...'

And if the smiley indicates anything further, it's that I was kidding.

Some people don't deserve Valve.

In my opinion, Valve should be very happy with the whole fiasco. The only 'flaw' people are bitching about is not integral to the game itself, so they I guess they pretty much made a flawless game, if you know I mean. ^_-

Good Sir/Madame/anyotherthing, I stand humbled and corrected, not that it's an excuse but, I misread your post.

restoshammyman

Jan 5, 2009
Dauntless said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Shamus Young said:
If you're on a crusade against DLC, start with EA. Start with BioWare. Start with Blizzard.
Wait wait. "Start with Blizzard"? The only thing they've offered for any of their games that could be considered DLC is vanity pets and mounts, which fall under the same category as the Portal 2 DLC. What DLC did Blizzard put out that broke one of the rules of what DLC shouldn't do?

Otherwise I agree with your article, 100%. As I stated on the Portal 2 forum though, if people didn't have the purchasable DLC items to cry about, they'd have found something else to throw a fit over. Some people are simply happy only when they're complaining.
You said everything I wanted to say. I totally agree. Blizzard is doing DLC the right way, and even better. A lot of the income they get from the DLC (vanity pets/mounts) go to charity. How awesome is that?

Also, Sgt. Sykes is, as defined in this article, an idiot. Don't listen to him.
most of the pets are not for charity. only the moonkin and the panderan was for charity.

but yea. you dont want it dont buy it. has no effect on the game.

Kimozabi

Sep 1, 2008
I can't agree with this article more. I have completed and loved every aspect of the game and I didn't even know of all this extra DLC, until I saw the ever-useless user reviews-seciton on Metacritic.

The whiners obviousle become offended over day-1 DLC in any form, even as non-essential as in Portal 2. Let them complain and just stick to reviews from professional critics, which is all Metacritic should ever be used for.

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
This is why I love tripwire too they sell dlc skin packs for killing floor but they overhauled the entire game for free making it look and work better and add new items and maps (some user created) all the time and don't charge anything. The only thing they charge for is new character skins which is perfectly reasonable. Hell I bought one for a dollar because I wanted to be a British palace guard.

d3nni5lor3nz

Jul 28, 2010
a very good comment about the 0 score trolls

im not a fanboy but after being around chapter 8 of portal 2 so far i am wondering where the hell the short playtime or the lazy level design is. as far as i can tell portal 2 has very very good level (and overall) design, which makes me wonder how many little shits there are out there who have an irrational hate for a game that is by no stretch of the word bad in any way.

in one 0 score review it sayd that many of the serious critics were sure to give portal 2 a 100 before it was released, which is ironic, because im almost 100% sure that way more than half the people who gave it 0 scores pirated or not played the game.
i dont know how far this is ture but i will assume that many or at least some were most likely going to give it a high score anyway and now that it is a very good game that made it have so many perfect scores, that, frankly are not undeserved.
my actual objection here is that this is not a review. its just a hater hatin' on a game for the sake of hating.

so i guess the conclusion is that trolls are narrow minded morons.

of course theyd never admit that.

one question as one who isnt really into blizzard games: where did they handle dlc wrong?
the wow expansions? if so, does that even qualify as dlc? or something i dont know about?

seriously i dont really play blizzard games.

oh yeah: i played coop portal 2 on splitscreen first and then startet the singleplayer and did not notice the dlc till i read about it. and i still had (and have) fun.

fundayz

Feb 22, 2010
Sgt. Sykes said:
r maybe you should grow up and stop defending companies that don't care about you.

Seriously, what's the problem of Valve fans? Some people would defend Valve (or some other company of their choice) if they'd shit on their head and charge them for it.

If any of my favorite companies does something like this, not only I will NOT BUY that stuff but I'll also ***** about that behavior as much as I want.

I'm really looking forward other comments from other stupid people who will never ever ever understand that expressing own opinion is as much a human right as is 'not purchasing shit'.
So disagreeing with you is being a Valve fanboy now? If anything I agree with you, Valve IS squeezing money out of their game, I just don't pretend it is a big deal like you do.

The whole purpose of a company, even videogame developing companies, is to make profits so I don't understand how you are surprised when a company tries to do so.

So go ahead and express your opinion as much as you want, it still doesn't change the fact that the impact of Portal 2's DLC on the customer is almost non-existent.

Jagji56

Oct 29, 2009
Dauntless said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Shamus Young said:
If you're on a crusade against DLC, start with EA. Start with BioWare. Start with Blizzard.
Wait wait. "Start with Blizzard"? The only thing they've offered for any of their games that could be considered DLC is vanity pets and mounts, which fall under the same category as the Portal 2 DLC. What DLC did Blizzard put out that broke one of the rules of what DLC shouldn't do?

Otherwise I agree with your article, 100%. As I stated on the Portal 2 forum though, if people didn't have the purchasable DLC items to cry about, they'd have found something else to throw a fit over. Some people are simply happy only when they're complaining.
You said everything I wanted to say. I totally agree. Blizzard is doing DLC the right way, and even better. A lot of the income they get from the DLC (vanity pets/mounts) go to charity. How awesome is that?

Also, Sgt. Sykes is, as defined in this article, an idiot. Don't listen to him.
$25USD for a mount is not the right way to do DLC. All it proves is how dumb people can be spending there money.

ParkourMcGhee

Jan 4, 2008
Heh, didn't know they bombed it. But yeah, kinda pathetic. Especially taking ANY DLC in to account from xbox live.

I completed single player in 5ish hours, and an extra 7 maybe for the co-op, and thought it was great :). I thoroughly enjoyed the game.

If I could change one thing, it would be to give an extra tiny item or whatever for getting 100% achievements, but that's a small gripe compared to the awesomeness of the game overall.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Valve is the closest that we can get to a "caring company", jet people rage and trash talk more about Valve then EA and Activision who are Satan it self.

So many updates... jet so much hate.

This just shows that humans are imbeciles, fucking selfish imbeciles. If you're good to them, they hate you, if you robe them, they will LOVE you.

Portal 2 is a freaking good game and even if you don't like such games, you will agree that it was released as a finished, polished, well designed game. Not some half done crap like CoD BO. Jet there is more hate for Portal 2 then for CoD BO.

Those DLC's that people hate are those things that give the community free updates even years after the game release.

I would like to include DotA's and Minecraft's community. Few of the worst communities on the internet. IceFrog updates DotA on a regular bases, does his best to balance the game out, does his best to keep the map interesting and adds innovative and creative content, jet on playdota.com people ***** about him and DotA a lot. Why not this, why not that, I won't play anymore, I hate Ice..... At least the mods do their jobs well.

Same goes for Notch. Keeps Minecraft interesting, gave the game almost for free, jet people ***** how update x.xx destroyed minecraft. And so on with every update.

I have a feeling that you have to abuse your player base so that they start loving you when you request 'just' 15$ for few maps. Hey, additional 15$ for few maps is still better then additional 0$ for a full GREAT game, right?

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
I really wish I read this before I decided to post a hate thread on the DLC. Looking back on it now, I feel like a total ass for doing so.

Darkauthor81

Feb 10, 2007
I HATED in the first Dragon Age game how they added a DLC quest giver right in your main camp. Standing there reminding you to buy crap.

That was low.

Porecomesis

Jul 10, 2010
Sgt. Sykes said:
Some Random Tosser said:
How did they spoil it? The DLC? As I, and everyone else has said, there's no reason for you to buy it. Did you buy the DLC and now you feel ripped off, so you're taking typed revenge against Valve, who are never going to find your post or care?
What are you, another Valve fanboy having to take a piss at everyone who looks at them funny?

Every sort of day-one DLC, is stupid. Games are expensive as it is, asking more money just shows that the current state of gaming is unproductive and the publishers are greedy. And yes, Valve is a full-blown publisher, not a small indie developing house like people want to believe.

And asking money for extra clothing? The example I've stated was, if you go to a doctor or a lawyer, you don't get charged extra for sitting instead of standing. Even ASKING money for something like that is INSULTING. Portal is a good game, it will sell well and earn tons of cash, is it seriously worth it to ask for more pennies while looking as an asshole?

(And yes, I DO my own business. Yes, I'm jealous at Valve and other devs that they can charge extra for shit. It's still not right.)
Nope. Not a Valve fanboy, and I don't take a piss at everyone who looks at them funny. I take a piss at everyone who looks at them funny for all the wrong reasons.

By chance, do you live in Australia? Because I do, and I had to spend $80 on my copy of Portal 2, and I'm not complaining about DLC.

And as I'm very certain someone as already said, you actually do to a degree need to sit in a doctor's waiting room, and I agree that charging you for it is just cruel. Valve are doing nothing of the sort that's similar; they're having an attitude that's basically "Just asking, but would you like to buy a hat?" And you don't need to. You NEVER need to. In that case, Valve will go "Okay then, have fun". I fail to see how connecting charging sick people for sitting for chairs is equivalent to buying hats that are very easily overlooked and do nothing. That's like saying that if gay marriage rights were granted, the next push will be for marriage to include polygamous relationships. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Christian_Lobby#Lobby_Against_Gay_Rights_in_Australia]

Yes, I do have a few issues with the Team Fortress 2 DLC, namely that having enough money means you can have absolutely every weapon and item ever in the first day, although no one in their right mind would do that. Portal 2 is giving you hats, and that's it.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Neogeta said:
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Way to completely miss both the sarcasm and the point.
Way to completely miss your troll mark and my point.
I'm sorry, what? I'm trolling because I have enough reading comprehension skills to notice that his point was not to incite people to hate the game for meaningless reasons, but to stress the absolute ridiculousness of the 1 and 0 scores being given to Portal 2 when considering how original it is, and I thought I'd point out that you were getting worked up over an objective he doesn't have?

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
People aren't objective, especially people over the internet. If something doesn't go down exactly the way they pictured it in their tiny little brains, it's instantly the most horrible thing to ever exist. You'll see someone that bought, say, a mouse over the internet, and it just so happens that that particular mouse was defective, well, X company is the worst thing that ever existed, the website I bought the mouse from must have ties to terrorism and i'm telling everyone I know not to buy from these pieces of shit ever again!

Oh freedom of speech, if you were a person you'd be in Law & Order Special Victims Unit every week, because no one gets raped on a daily basis as much as you do.

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
I expected to disagree with Shamus (anyone willing to bash New Vegas hasn't got much gamer cred in my books), but I actually agree with all of his points.

BlackSaint09

Dec 9, 2010
1: Wow how retarded some people are!(am ofcourse referring to the idiots)
2: I actually wouldnt mind Bruce Willis selling me a Coke XD(he was a bartender before he became an actor afterall)(dont know why i brought that up)
3:Awesome column! It was fun to read. Keep up the good work :3

Auxiliary

Feb 20, 2011
What does the author mean with start at Blizzard? Valve wants to charge people money for customizing their avatar and do emotes while Blizzard charges money for silly things such as mounts and companion pets. The main difference being that Blizzard provides hundres of other mounts and companion pets whereas Valve makes customization only possible if you want to spend money.

I personally find Valve being less tasteful here, but I do agree with the author that zero-bombing the game is retarded as well. I do think Valve should have realized that some people would get pissed at only being able to customize if you are willing to pay up. Customization is a lot of fun and if you implement the feature, you can be certain that people want to customize without having to pay for it.

My personal worst meeting with DLC has to be Dragon Age however. It took me several hours to find a way to actually play the game with DLC and after that I had to make use of my command prompt every time I wanted to play again.