DLC for Dummies

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
mireko said:
I knew I liked Jim Sterling for a reason!

Yeah. This is ridiculous.

But on the other hand, I kind of like Project Ten Dollar. Assuming my DLC isn't a 100 KB file that just UNLOCKS content already on the disc...Like an Online Pass. If I'm just unlocking on-disc shit, Capcom style, I hate that. But if it's stuff that I can measure in MB or GB, I'm usually fine with it.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Unprofessional and uncool Shamus, calling people idiots for not agreeing with you is pretty much what your accusing them of. I like your column, but I think you went overboard here.

I'll also be honest in saying that I disagree with you about how big a deal the DLC for "Portal 2" is. There is a reason for that, and one you didn't seem to consider. The problem is that nowadays the game industry is trying to charge extra money for the kinds of things that have traditionally been included in games as part of the overall product. Alternate costumes have been a standby for games for a very long time, one of the incentives to replay games a second time with the new look, or something part of the experience revolved around as you tried to figure out how to unlock them. Right now the gaming industry has gotten to a point where they will strip everything they can out of a game to sell seperatly. Fighting games want you to pay extra money for differant color palettes or costumes for example as opposed to putting them in the game like they would have been before the current era of DLC. Had DLC not been an option, I think Valve would still have had the alternate costumes, it's just that they would have been a reward for beating the game, or reaching a certain milestone.

A lot of people talk about an attitude of entitlement among gamers when it comes to these kidns of things, but I don't think that's really the case. I think it's more a matter of people not liking to be gouged. Nobody is really innovating anything to add to games for DLC that would be worth buying, rather they are taking features that have been traditionally there to begin with, removing them from the game, and then charging extra for them. Nobody begrudges the games industry trying to make money, but people don't like to be chased around by penny pinchers, and seeing the game industry get into a mould where they increasingly want you to pay for everything.

To be honest it's the trivial DLC that bugs people the most, the costumes for Chell, the Horse Armor, and things like that. Few people complain about actual additions to a game that add a fair amount of content for the price, unless of course those additions are things that clearly should have been a part of the game to begin with. If you say create a set of DLC that adds a new Island with quests to a game world (like say what "Forge Of Virtue" did for Ultima 7) nobody really cares. However trying to charge someone for a new character skin or outfit? That's kind of ridiculous. The motive for doing this kind of thing is to make money without having to put in the effort or creativity to come up with something to add to a genuinely complete game that people will want to pay for.

In short, it's about the industry getting TOO greedy. With Valve I think it hit them unusually hard because Valve is viewed as "our company" by a lot of gamers. To see them involved in the kind of DLC garbage that you'd expect from say Capcom, doubtlessly upset a lot of people a lot more than you'd expect. NOT being involved in this kind of thing is why a lot of people loved Valve... it was the company people would point to when griping about the gimmicks other companies were running.

-

I'll also say that I think you yourself are being a bit of a fanboy, as much as I hate to. To be honest I don't think Valve got "metabombed" over this. To be honest the idea of metabombing has been around for a while, as have groups like 4chan and their /V/ board and so on. People expect them, and simply put their presence has not had the affect that you are seeing recently with cases like this and "Dragon Age Rage". I have no doubt that there are people like you describe who rated the game '0' over the DLC, but there aren't enough of them to do this kind of damage all on their own. These kinds of vents are noteworthy, because it doesn't generally happen.

While there are tons of Portal "OMG, Portal is the best thing ever" fans out there, who were going to support this game no matter what, I think there are actually more people who just wanted a good game and weren't involved in any kind of fan-cult even if they liked the first one. By many accounts, "Portal 2" is really a pretty poor game, that has been seriously overhyped due to the first one. One analogy I've heard is that Portal was an "indie" darling that took the world by surprise storm by being unique and differant. It's sort of like what " The Blair Witch Project" was years ago. "Portal 2" is the big budget sell out of the original, that was going down a checklist of cliques fans wanted to see, polished up, and made to be hip as opposed to being a "true to itself" product. Basically it's "Blair Witch 2", complete with it's goth girls, and "relevent" soundtrack. Unlike the movie industry though, an anticipated video game is going to sell like hotcakes due to early, unretunrable sales. You don't see word of mouth having quite the same effect on the game industry that it does with movies, especially given the way the industry can control information and surpress reviews until after the initial sales period when it first launches. I also think that since people are pretty much stuck with the games they buy, there is also a tendency for people to lionize even turds because they are dealing with turds they own.... or to defend franchises when an installment blows chips, in hopes that the next one will be better.

Now to be fair, I have not played "Portal 2". I am not a huge fan of the series. When it goes down in price, I'll probably give it a shot though, because the idea is interesting, but I'm neither a big FPS or Puzzle game player. I'm just going by some of the feedback I've heard bebopping around the internet (the "Blair Witch" analogy wasn't mine to be fair, I got that from a random post, but it seemed to be a good one for how some people were feeling about this). There is no need to shoot the messenger (so to speak).

Generally speaking I think "Portal 2" and "Dragon Age 2" are noteworthy because they are sequels right on the tip of a trend where the user meta-ratings are not matching the professional ratings, which were apparently paid for. What's more the response obviously involves enough people (as opposed to just troll groups) where traditional ways of "fixing" the problem, like having company employees shill for you, just aren't working.

Beyond a doubt, Valve was kind of asking for it with the day 1 DLC, however that all on it's own wouldn't have caused this. Nor would a bunch of the "usual suspects" in the troll community going out to try and bomb a game just because it's a big, popular, release.

I think the industry, and those who watch, and comment on it, are simply in denial that there are cracks appearing in the walls they have built around themselves.

Portal 2 might be a great game objectively, heck maybe I'll love it when I eventually play it down the road, and be there two years later scraming it's praises belatedly (since I imagine it will be that long before the price goes down far enough for me to buy it). However, that doesn't change that what we're seeing here is a the result of actual reception from a good portion of the audience.

Feb 13, 2008
I can see where this is coming from. I don't agree with it, but I can see why it happened.

First of all, Valve is in that unenviable position of being the game company that's trusted. Right or not, (you'd trust a company?) this leads to a much bigger crunch when reality kicks in.

Second, the ARG winds people up. They always do. Even back to Masquerade (The Golden Hare thing [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masquerade_%28book%29]), once you deliberately break the wall between fantasy and reality, then you've just brought the internet's hate into the open.

Thirdly, Valve wound them up. That's the purpose of marketing. Portal 2 could never reach the heights it was predicted to. It's still a damn fine game (from what I hear), but as the semi-mythical cure for those long years waiting for Portal; it simply couldn't do it.

So what we're left with is a bunch of people that were wound up to bursting point and then given something that was only great. A silver spoon when they'd been "promised" gold.

That's what the internet is. Entitlement given form. If you break that fourth wall, you've got to know what's coming. Hell, any forum can show you that. That's why you shouldn't pay attention to those people, because some day they'll get into power, and they'll start making laws. And that's when you've got to start worrying about Atkinson.M or others.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
bjj hero said:
A lot of valve fans have a false sense of entitlement, possibly due to years of free DLC. Heaven forbid they have to pay for something that is not needed to fully enjoy the complete game.
I wouldn't say "Valve fans" just idiots.
Valves use of the micro transactions is purely supplementary anyway, content such as the free updates everyone gets. The items from the TF2 and Portal 2 stores are all cosmetic and have nothing to do with the game, and can also be earned for free while playing the game. As Shamus said:
Shamus Young said:
DLC shouldn't be integral to the experience.
Valve gives their PC community free updates, like maps for Left 4 Dead. At least they don't charge people for the maps like Microsoft does, which considering Left 4 Dead is a co op survival story about 4 people trying to get the hell out of dodge during the zombie apocalypse. Denying people content that would further what narrative there is, is exactly what he said DLC SHOULDN'T do.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I think there is a slightly valid complaint about the DLC, that being the amount of it available on day 1. Sure it doesn't impact the game at all, but having these little things planned to be launched in a sideline store along with the game does grate a little for someone who grew up playing games in the days where things like what they are selling used to be in game unlockables. Like I said, not a big deal at all, just irritating.

restoshammyman

Jan 5, 2009
DeadDodo said:
Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I didn't even know Portal 2 had a DLC system, didn't miss [any of the game] at all.
its that little "robot enrichment" thingy below the selection screen.

its only for hats flags skins and dances for the co op bots. nothing important.

and i got 2 free items. im not sure how i got em, but i did.
a wighted companion cube hat beanie and flag.
if someone can tell me what i did to get them that would be great.

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
Irridium said:
mcnally86 said:
Any dissenters are idiots? Ok I object to portal 2 DLC. I am not an idiot. I gave it a chance. But the fact is that the "sale items" were the things that you could unlock with achievements. And I mean these peaches were waved in your face once you clicked on "robotic enrichment." That means they suckered people into buying the only free things they could have. Gotta sell them first before people know how easy they are to get.

Or, if you don't like the shop, you could just not buy anything.

None of it is integral to the game, none of it has any bearing on the gameplay, story, or anything really. Its just a bunch of cosmetic crap that you don't need. If you want to buy it, fine, if not, thats fine as well. Nobody is forcing you, or anybody else, to buy anything.

And the fact that the items can be unlocked with achievements gives Portal 2 dlc arguments even less merit. Since it further shows that you don't have to use the shop at all to get cosmetic stuff.

Now here is an idea that combines things. Have the sale items. Sell all the gestures you want. Then maybe you get free skins for any potato sack or valve games you own. Buy portal get 5 fun bucks for the store. Or better yet have Coke or Pepsi corp. pay the companies make and give out free coke or Pepsi skins cause I sure as hell would like to play as a vending machine. Maybe a free Cadbury Egg skin. That would be delicious, free, and drive up their stock prices.
And thats probably going to happen sooner or later. Although I'd hate for product placement to be in a game like Portal 2.
First I'm not buying anything. Im just saying they set up a money trap selling the only free stuff. Second they already do have product placement in Portal 2. They sell little antenna pendents that you can barely see on P-bot. And yes they sell one for every potato sack game. Could these be free if you have the sack or corresponding game? Seeing how little they are. How ungame breaking you point them out to be. And how simple it is the re skin a tiny pendant seems they could be free or at least let you pick one with your purchase of an 8 hour game for 50$. I like portal. I'm objecting to be automatically being told my opinions make me dumb because of the opinions of others. Honestly I know a lot of people who quit hat fortress because of these practices so I am not alone.

Radioactive Kitten

Nov 16, 2009
Portal 2's single player campaign took me roughly 8 hours to finish (Not based on Steam's buggy timer), and I was never stuck on an individual puzzle for very long. I don't know how people could beat it in under 5 hours, especially on their first play-through. I haven't touched co-op yet because I'm waiting for a friend to get it, but some of my friends that have already played through co-op said it took them 4-6 hours.

But on the topic of DLC, Valve's is quite harmless. Seriously, the only DLC in Portal 2 are hats, little flags, and skins all for the co-op bots. There is no actual content that is being charged for. Like the article said, there are developers that are handling DLC much, much worse than Valve is.

I think some people were just over-hyped and then disappointed when they found out that the game didn't cure cancer, or were angry that the ARG didn't release the game days early, and they're taking their frustration it out on the DLC.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
I agree with everything except for the thing about New Vegas.

Being a single player game, getting something extra for pre-ordering the game shouldn't mean anything at all because no one is negatively affected by it, except maybe the player, and that's going into the "they don't experience the full challenge of the game" crock that I think is a stupid reason anyway.

So yeah besides that I agree with you.

Apr 28, 2008
mcnally86 said:
First I'm not buying anything. Im just saying they set up a money trap selling the only free stuff. Second they already do have product placement in Portal 2. They sell little antenna pendents that you can barely see on P-bot. And yes they sell one for every potato sack game. Could these be free if you have the sack or corresponding game? Seeing how little they are. How ungame breaking you point them out to be. And how simple it is the re skin a tiny pendant seems they could be free or at least let you pick one with your purchase of an 8 hour game for 50$. I like portal. I'm objecting to be automatically being told my opinions make me dumb because of the opinions of others. Honestly I know a lot of people who quit hat fortress because of these practices so I am not alone.
You can get the flags for free. From what I can tell, you can get everything for free one way or another.

Jordi

Jun 6, 2009
Unfortunately I can't really find a lot of details on what exactly the DLC entails, because Googling "Portal 2 DLC" will only lead to reports surrounding the controversy, so it's a little hard to comment here.

I would like to say that I think that releasing DLC so soon after the game is a complicated issue. When you buy a game, you can't really know what you are going to get. But a lot of people tend to assume that what you're buying is the result of the entirety of the developer's efforts that were spent on that game. This is the way it used to be before DLC existed. Simply put, the situation has deteriorated. And while every developer/publisher is free to use whatever business practices they want, and customers really aren't entitled to anything, I think it is unfair to completely dismiss people's disappointment with this situation.

Also, I'm not so sure I think that "bombing" Metacritic is that bad. Partly, that is because I really don't give a flying fuck about Metacritic scores. But also because it seems to me that this is kind of what it's for. People tell their opinion about a game to Metacritic, and they are completely free in what aspects of the experience they value the most. If they think the gameplay and story are awesome, but they feel completely screwed over because of the DLC (see above point) and they think the latter is about 1000 times more important, then they should give the game a 0.

Of course, I don't want to say that there are no idiots. Just that some valid points exist as to why people might dislike this move by Valve.

mountainfire

Forum Lurker
Jan 23, 2009
1. They're cosmetic items.
2. Some of them are unlocked simply by playing the game.
3. Some of them are unlocked if you own them in TF2.

Oh yes, this is horrible horrible dlc. I can't believe anyone would rage against VALVE regarding DLC. You know, the company that made Team Fortress 2, a game that has more than doubled in game size in free updates? Or even the L4D games, which have both gotten a couple new campaigns? Even Counterstrike got a number of new maps and upgrades free back in the day.

Compare this to Black Ops, which is selling a multiplayer map pack for $15.

Shamus, once again you are the voice of reason, and I salute you.

Slinker07

Jan 14, 2009
There are times when I can agree with a game being too short. Portal 2 is not one of them. Like Beyond Good and evil or Silent hill 3 the time you play the game it's an adventure so full of details and events that you really feel like the developer has worked day and nigth with this game. I rather take one of these "short" games then games that tries to stretch the experiance as far as possible just for making it feel longer even if it has nothing more to ad. Games where I am basically just running the same corridors. Killing the same type of enemys. Or the cheap RP-games implant where you need for some reason reach a certain level or collect a certain amount of something to continue the game.

... And I've only played through the singelplayer of portal 2 so far.

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
Irridium said:
mcnally86 said:
You can get the flags for free. From what I can tell, you can get everything for free one way or another.
Thank you. I just wish they would list where you could get them so you dont buy a flag then buy the game then arg! And I don't think everything is free.

Cinta

Aug 5, 2010
I thank you for finally getting things right I do agree valve have not fucked up on portal 2's end but team fortress 2 has shop items that are entirely overpowered and the "store" has broken/killed the entire game. So sadly I personally believe its only a matter of time till valve shift the taint over and ruin portal 2 also. Stay classy valve stay classy.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
O_O wow shamus that the most rage in an expeirenced points i've seen in a while. My 2 cents don't matter becasue i don't hae the game and will not have the game for a long time (ie it's on sale on steam). however from where i sit this little rant is justified. you don't have to pay for hats. you don't have to pay for skins. you don't have to pay for anything other than the game. you can pay for all that stuff but in the grand scheme of things its not going to affect gameplay or game quality. besides it's a first person game so if you really feel overtly compelled to buy all that get used to not seeing it.