DmC: Devil May Cry - Honest Opinions

dmv

Jan 19, 2013
lechat said:
quick question
how does dmc stack up against bayonetta?
DmC wins the story aspect.
Tie in environment(kind of? there were moments in bayonetta that were FAR more epic but dmc's environments were beautiful all the way through)
Everything else goes to bayonetta.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
lechat said:
quick question
After playing a lot of DmC, I can't think of any way DmC would be better than Bayonetta.

The story in DmC may be more interesting. But weighed down immensely by the horrendous writing, pretentious real-world commentaries, and it also does not go very far in terms of satire. The game takes itself far more seriously than it thinks it does.

The environments in DmC are rich in color, and funky in visual design. But every level is the same static trod forward with occasional pulling and yanking and flying onto platforms for fights. Every now and then, the levels crunch inward and you move forward a bit faster. The levels start dropping sharply in quality towards the end of the game, abandoning for the most part the visual coolness of Limbo and the level shifting.

Bayonetta's levels don't contain nearly as much platforming. But in my opinion were a lot more fun to go through due to the frequent grand epic moments of all crazy sorts.

The combat in terms of challenge, depth, and pace goes to Bayonetta with no question. It easily surpasses DmC in all 3 aspects.

Sure, DmC is still fun and maybe worth playing depending on who you are. But if you were to ask me which of these two games is better, the answer is Bayonetta.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
Tohuvabohu said:
lechat said:
quick question

Sure, DmC is still fun and maybe worth playing depending on who you are. But if you were to ask me which of these two games is better, the answer is Bayonetta.
argh
just finished playing bayonetta yesterday and thought it could have been better obviously dmc wont be the one to beat it :(

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
lechat said:
Tohuvabohu said:
lechat said:
quick question

argh
just finished playing bayonetta yesterday and thought it could have been better obviously dmc wont be the one to beat it :(
That's how I felt about DmC. And I really wanted it to be good too. After playing it for awhile, it just hasn't gotten any better. (Playing DmD mode - which is as easy as taking a piss.)

But hey, you might want to consider giving it a try anyway. I don't think it's bad, you might enjoy it more than I did.

dmv

Jan 19, 2013
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
For those who said the original DMC games had crap writing.

Sounds like some pretty Shakespearean dialogue to me...
See this is another thing I miss from the original series. It didn't take itself too seriously. This newer dmc reeks of developers that have that hipster mindset of "my game is perfect and you can't convince me other wise". Mostly reminds me of yahtzee's reviews of the fable franchise.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
teh_Canape said:
TehCookie said:
teh_Canape said:
TehCookie said:
Rawne1980 said:
TehCookie said:
Well I think I spent more time on this than I needed too, but if I missed anything feel free to say so.
Don't hold back Cookie, tell us how you really feel?
All I feel is rage.

Oh and since some people here never heard of Operation Crazy here's the layout:
[http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n95/blackkittycat15/Forum%20Posts/1358896518203.jpg]
Row row, fight da powa! #THE DEMONS ARE COMING
isn't this, like, the exact damn thing that the sonic fans did?
and that everybody laughed their asses off at them for it?
I haven't paid attention to sonic since the sega days. Either that or they failed, while the PS3 DMCHD is above DmC on amazon last time I checked. Besides DMC fans are still being laughed at for giving money to a company that screwed them over, but as the image says even if it fails you still get to enjoy a great game. Though being laughed at is a lot better than being insulted.
maybe you didn't, but the movement is indeed the same
when the sonic fans decided to "teach Sega a lesson" by not purchasing Sonic 4 and instead purchasing Sonic 1 off the store (XBLA and PSN)
boy where they mocked and laughed at XD
That's because they didn't get sonic 3 or sonic CD.
They chose 1.
Tohuvabohu said:
lechat said:
quick question
After playing a lot of DmC, I can't think of any way DmC would be better than Bayonetta.

The story in DmC may be more interesting. But weighed down immensely by the horrendous writing, pretentious real-world commentaries, and it also does not go very far in terms of satire. The game takes itself far more seriously than it thinks it does.

The environments in DmC are rich in color, and funky in visual design. But every level is the same static trod forward with occasional pulling and yanking and flying onto platforms for fights. Every now and then, the levels crunch inward and you move forward a bit faster. The levels start dropping sharply in quality towards the end of the game, abandoning for the most part the visual coolness of Limbo and the level shifting.

Bayonetta's levels don't contain nearly as much platforming. But in my opinion were a lot more fun to go through due to the frequent grand epic moments of all crazy sorts.

The combat in terms of challenge, depth, and pace goes to Bayonetta with no question. It easily surpasses DmC in all 3 aspects.

To be fair Bayonetta had better Lore and more details.
And what was there as a story was really easy to see despite it not being used that often.
Bayonetta as a character comes out more solid than donte.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Watched a friend of mine play the game yesterday. He managed to reduce Vergils HP to zero, but they instantly refilled to full since he didn't beat him like the game wanted to.

You are supposed to kill him with Devil Trigger. Normally his clone is supposed to defend him if he is almost dead and you attack him with ordinary attacks. The entire fight is full of cutscenes which can bug the entire fight if they don't trigger for some reason.

dmv

Jan 19, 2013
lapan said:
Watched a friend of mine play the game yesterday. He managed to reduce Vergils HP to zero, but they instantly refilled to full since he didn't beat him like the game wanted to.

You are supposed to kill him with Devil Trigger. Normally his clone is supposed to defend him if he is almost dead and you attack him with ordinary attacks. The entire fight is full of cutscenes which can bug the entire fight if they don't trigger for some reason.
YOU WILL PLAY OUR GAME THE WAY WE DICTATE. Yahtzee talks a lot about the structure of shooters in his reviews, taking you from set piece to set piece and dictating how you go between each of them. I felt the same way playing DmC, like ninja theory had me by the ear and was pulling me along their game.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
lapan said:

What?? I didn't know that. That's bullshit!!

I never really did have a problem with the game. I didn't figure one was better than the other when comparing the old series with this one. But that? That is crap. This is worse than those quick time bosses where the game just sorta remains there frozen until you press the button.

Guess it's for the particular cut scene. And here I thought the walkthrough vid someone put up, they just felt like doing that move. I should have figured after the ending.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
game-lover said:
lapan said:

I never really did have a problem with the game. I didn't figure one was better than the other when comparing the old series with this one. But that? That is crap. This is worse than those quick time bosses where the game just sorta remains there frozen until you press the button.

Guess it's for the particular cut scene. And here I thought the walkthrough vid someone put up, they just felt like doing that move. I should have figured after the ending.
He actually recorded it. Enjoy.
This is not even the only bug that can happen in this fight, see one of my earlier posts.

OBVIOUS BOSSFIGHT SPOILER WARNING

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
lapan said:
game-lover said:
lapan said:

He actually recorded it. Enjoy.
This is not even the only bug that can happen in this fight, see one of my earlier posts.

OBVIOUS BOSSFIGHT SPOILER WARNING

It BAFFLES me at how NT could let obvious bugs slide. The incompetence is astounding