DmC, should I get it?

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Having never really played the rest of the franchise because I am not all that into 3rd person spectacle fighters, played a few but they are near the bottom of my list when it comes to "go to" genres and having no real attachment to the older games and characters would I like this game?

The fighting seems simple so the learning curve isn't all that great it seems suited for someone who has little experience of the genre. What makes me interested in the game is the cool looking levels and the great soundtrack, the story doesn't seem to bad either as its basically They Live with Daemons.

So as a game in its own right, not a Devil May Cry game would it suit a newbie to the genre. I am asking and being cautious because I am already £60 in the hole this month with A:CM and Bioshock: Infinite so its a bit risky getting something I might not like.

Edit,

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
It's a decent game, but I'd wait for a price drop, meself. Especially if you're not all that into the genre as it doesn't do anything spectacularly or differently, really.

Still, if you see it on sale somewhere, it's a decent game. Good bit of fun.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I liked it a lot. Really fun, really fluid, and challenging while not being punishingly difficult on the higher difficulty settings. The story is alright to go through the first time, far more serious than the previous DMC games but still interesting enough. Going through again on higher difficulties you can just skip all of the cut-scenes though.

It's got a great art direction and the platforming doesn't break up the action as badly as a lot of other spectacle fighting games. The soundtrack is... well, it's Combichrist. They mixed it well enough that it's background noise through most of the fights, and gives you a sufficiently badass feeling. There's one level in particular that really ramps up the volume, and it suits it perfectly.

I'm not really a fan of spectacle fighters either, but I've put 37 hours into DmC, so take from that what you will.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'd wait for a price drop, personally.

I beat it once on Demon Hunter, but unlike other Devil May Cry games, I've just not had the drive to go back and beat it on a harder difficulty.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
in terms of hack and slashers, it's not all that good. There are better options such as the DMC HD Collection, DMC4, Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden 2, the God of War series, Bayonetta, and Metal Gear Rising. If you MUST play it just wait for a price drop which probably won't take long

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
IMO it is a ok game but a bad Devil May Cry game. I got SSS! without much difficulty and you no longer need to change combos to get a better stylish rank as it is now based on damage wich takes alot of the challange out of it. I did not hate most of the new characters but I did not like them either. I disliked the new Dante and Vergil and no not because of the hair.

So I would either rent it or wait for the price to drop. In the end I only payed £4 for it as I got it pre owned for £32 and then traded it in for £28 and I still think it was a waste of £4.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Play the demo first, if you like it then yes, get it. If not then not get it, simple as that.

The_Merchant

Nov 9, 2011
Mediocre game on it's own, but a bad as fuck DMC game.
The combat is nowhere near the shining diamond that is DMC3 as most of the PR claims it to be.
While a first playthrough may leave a good impression, this one impression is a deceiving one.
A DMC game is built with subsequent playthroughs in mind with the unlockable difficulties eing the primary focus of these.
While the levels may look pretty to some(imo they give me eye cancer with all that bloom and flashing)
They're a pain to play through again. Reason for that is that the levels arent designed to be played through again.
Most of the levels have scripted platforming and cinematic sequences. They maybe good for the first time but simply energy draining for multiple times. Some levels have entire unskippable tutorial sections for basic mechanics such as the angel glide. Others have annoying gimmicks such as timed battles and damaing floor panels(nightclub level).
The difficulty are also not what they aim to be. In fact the AI never seems to change no matter what difficulty is set.
No new attacks, no new patterns, this is even true for the bosses. In short the only thing the difficulties are more HP chunks to the enemies and new enemy placement which is obsolete because no new tactics must be used to defeat those and most enemies cn be exploited in such ridiculous ways its not even funny.
More so the higher difficulties likes to throw sub-bosses like dream runner or the witch at you.
sad thing is they are not hard but simply a chore to defeat.
Dreamrunners design is incosistent, he is able to parry you, reflect your projectiles and avoid environmental death.
But the thing is he can parry you at anytime, not just while idle. Even if you catch him wide open or even parry his own attack he can still parry and counter you the moment after. And that exact counter seems to be based of a dice throw.

If we look at DMC3 the higher difficulties gave every enemy something new to make players adapt new tactics.
Hell Lusts for example were easily dodged by jumping up since they could onl lunge forward on lower difficulties.
However the higher difficultiesgave them an uppercut slash which can hurt you in the air which makes evasive jump no longer a safe option.
Cerberus, the first real boss, would start to delay his Ice Shots to trick the player into dodging.
However nothing similiar can be found in DmC

Jun 11, 2009
Aiddon said:
in terms of hack and slashers, it's not all that good. There are better options such as the DMC HD Collection, DMC4, Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden 2, the God of War series, Bayonetta, and Metal Gear Rising. If you MUST play it just wait for a price drop which probably won't take long
This a thousand times. There are plenty of solid and less expensive spectacle fighters out there - you don't need to waste your time and money on something as insulting to your intelligence, the DMC series, and the genre as the new DMC.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I freaking loved the game. I could recommend the game solely for its badass visual flair and generally colourful aesthetic. The combat is awesome, I really liked the story and the character redesigns weren't too bad. Vergil's look is still a little off though, the silly hat ruins it XD

I liked the platforming, something the old DMCs tried to do occasionally but they were really bad. The movement was never designed around jumping puzzles and it showed.

The soundtrack is good but not anything I would download to listen to outside the game though. It fits the game really well.

Oh and the final boss fight is AMAZING.

I never cared for the old DMC games really. I bought the HD collection just to see what the fuck everyone was raging about and my god, some of the gameplay decisions were baffling. Why are there endless fetch key, open door sections in a freaking hack and slash game? DMC4 was cool and all but the backtracking was horrible and that castle level early on almost made me quit entirely because it was so boring.

I only finished DMC3 because DMC1 was too stiff and DMC2 is apparently garbage and not worth anyone's time. I only finished DMC3 because I love Vergil. If it wasn't for the three Vergil boss fights I would have never finished DMC3 either.

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
have tried DmC and Metal Gear Rising.. go for Metal Gear rising.. also.. epic soundtrack.. get both.. and i dont regret paying fullprice for both

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Payed full price for this and I think it was worth every penny. Bloody Palace has just been released too (free DLC) and Vergil's Downfall is out soon too. Looking forward to playing all of the above.

Love the game, very fun chaining combos and juggling enemies with Angel and Deamon weapons. Boss fights were unfortunately not very challenging (even on Hell or Hell difficulty) as once you learn their attack patterns then you have them by the short ones.

Prefer it to DMC4 but not as good as DMC3 though.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well the game is fine it's just not a DMC game but since you never played them this won't matter, still there are plenty of other better hack&slashers out there that come cheaper.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
I haven't played Devil may Cry Devil May Cry but from what I've seen of the gameplay it doesn't seem to be that great. The game does look pretty, though. As already mentioned, there is a decent amount of great spectacle fighters which probably provide a better value for money (unless you only don't own any consoles, in which case you're stuck with DMC4, a crappy port of DMC3 and a few mediocre titles like Ninja Blade).
I'd say you're better off waiting for a discount if you want to get the game.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
If the previous games seemed too intimidating to you and you are REALLY looking to get in the genre, check it out. Easy gameplay, simplified controls, modern story and some artsy graphics. It is so obvious that It is made specificly for players who are new to the genre.

Not for the veterans that is for sure.

captcha:the big easy.

Now you are just being nasty.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
It's no Bayonetta or DMC3 but it's still really good. The combat is way too simple but the level design is just amazing... Try not to take the story too seriously though, picture it as a Saints Row version of DMC.

Try and get it on PC and when it's around 40$. 60fps makes a big difference and this is coming from somebody who's not even a PC gamer. Ooh and make sure you use a gamepad. I'm playing it with KB+M and it's quite crappy.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
sure, it's not as bad as it was made out to be. it's flawed, sure, there are better hack an slashers, of course (mostly prior DMC games, no God of War is not better then DmC, only DMC game GoW is better then is 2) but the game it self is soild, if not simplified.

also its rather easy compared to other entry's, but I found this version of Dante and Virgil better then the only versions (yeah, I said it, come at me)

Lucid_Camel

Feb 19, 2013
Id say rent it dont buy.Its fun (awesome bosses, easy to master combos) so its perfect for newbies, but doesnt have much replayablity outside of difficulty.In one play through you will have all the skills maxed out. Plus the Wig dlc thats like 5 dollars if you did play the previous games. Devil may cry collection is on the cheap now and half the price so ull be geting 3 hack and slashers.
Dmc is fun but not worth 60.

Lucid_Camel

Feb 19, 2013
Id say rent it dont buy.Its fun (awesome bosses, easy to master combos) so its perfect for newbies, but doesnt have much replayablity outside of difficulty.In one play through you will have all the skills maxed out. Plus the Wig dlc thats like 5 dollars if you did play the previous games. Devil may cry collection is on the cheap now and half the price so ull be geting 3 hack and slashers.
Dmc is fun but not worth 60.