Do american's dislike canadians?

sgtslacker

Jun 28, 2011
Redlin5 said:
Dracowrath said:
There's also the whole joke about how milk in canada is sold in plastic bags. I've heard from canadians who've never once seen this, and candians who get all their milk this way. Once back in elementary school here in the US they said "right, milk cartons are just absolutely horrible for the environment. here's a square plastic bag filled with milk and a sharpened straw. have fun" it was so bizarre, and they went back to cartons the next year cause so many kids poked clean through the bag and spilled milk everywhere.
Never heard of this! Plastic jugs and cartons are all I know X3
I'm hoping I'm missing some severe sarcasm here, I've never bought milk in the states so i never noticed but do you guys really not have the plastic bags for milk?

Atticus89

Nov 8, 2010
Some people see Canada as what America would be like if we had our shit together. Others don't like Canada for whatever political/social reasons.

Personally, I like Canadians. Besides my accent, I think I would fit in well in Canada since I'm actually a nice and decent person who would apologize too much.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
just earlier today i was ragging on my friend for being Canadian lol. But ofcourse, its all just in fun. i've got nothing against canada, and it seems like a nice country.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
sgtslacker said:
I'm hoping I'm missing some severe sarcasm here, I've never bought milk in the states so i never noticed but do you guys really not have the plastic bags for milk?
I dunno O.O

I've never seen any plastic bags for milk here in Saskatchewan!

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
sgtslacker said:
Redlin5 said:
Dracowrath said:
There's also the whole joke about how milk in canada is sold in plastic bags. I've heard from canadians who've never once seen this, and candians who get all their milk this way. Once back in elementary school here in the US they said "right, milk cartons are just absolutely horrible for the environment. here's a square plastic bag filled with milk and a sharpened straw. have fun" it was so bizarre, and they went back to cartons the next year cause so many kids poked clean through the bag and spilled milk everywhere.
Never heard of this! Plastic jugs and cartons are all I know X3
Frankly, I never even hear of any drink in bags except for Capri-sun here in the States. 'Round here moo juice comes in gallon (or half gallon) jugs, 1 quart cartons (made of heavy paper), or single serving plastic bottles or pint cartons.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
WaywardHaymaker said:
No, not at all.

...Until you ride across the border with your mounties and try to take us over. I see all 90% of you mashed up against our border like a kid squeezing his face up against a candy store window, I KNOW THE TRUUUUUUTH!
Or is it people crowding at the bars of the monkey enclosure?

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
docSpitfire said:
aba1 said:
So its not that whats going on in the media is all together negative its that the only perception alot of people have is only just that the little jokes and stereotypes that get thrown around about us and I get the impression it leads to dislike and wrongful impressions whether people relize it out right or not.
Someone else in this thread mentioned South Park, and I'm going to use those to frame what I'm talking about.

South Park the movie, despite the popular "Blame Canada" song, was really not anti-canadian, if anything it was about how parents have a tendency to overreact and fail to take responsibility. In the show and the movie, with the exception of maybe Chef, the children are always more intelligent and mature than the adults. However the whole joke/undertones went over some people's heads and they heard the words but not the message, so we get a bunch of ignorant people... half protesting on behalf of Canada, the other half deciding "what has Canada ever done for us!" because they're fools who are unable to grasp that goings on in the world effect them as much as what happens in their own immediate surroundings. These are of course the same small handful of people who unironically adopted "America! F**k YEAH!" as though that movie wasn't a criticism of just about everyone in the US of pretty much any political affiliation.
Well if were using south park as the frame isn't "Canada goes on strike" a better example.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
no, but i do joke about disliking Canadians. i like to play with the assumption that we dont like Canadians. like when i find out someone is from Canada i will (even if im alone) say in an angry tone, "CANADIAN?!" lol i dont know why.

anyway i like Canadians

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
It's all a joke. We don't hate Canadians the way the majority of Europe hates France, especially the English. All in good fun, if we didn't rib our friends every now and then they'd think we didn't love them and stop migrating to Arizona in the winter.

May 5, 2010
OK, first of all, "Americans" don't dislike anything. There's a LOT of us, it's not like we have weekly meetings. I'm sure there's a few crazy people out there who hate Canadians for one reason or another, but we don't like them. They smell funny.

Likewise, I don't feel a certain way about "Canadians" because being Canadian has nothing to do with whether or not I like you. If I hate a Canadian, it's because they're a douchebag, who just happens to be from Canada.

See how this works?

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
SpAc3man said:
WaywardHaymaker said:
No, not at all.

...Until you ride across the border with your mounties and try to take us over. I see all 90% of you mashed up against our border like a kid squeezing his face up against a candy store window, I KNOW THE TRUUUUUUTH!
Or is it people crowding at the bars of the monkey enclosure?
They have winter homes here, especially in Arizona. Apparently if your analogy holds, Canadians like monkeys a little TOO much, if you get my meaning.

Drexlor

Feb 23, 2010
I have no problems with Canada. I went there in May and I'd rather live there than here in New York. It's less crowded, people are friendlier, the cities were cleaner, there is less crime, their economy isn't a joke, etc...

Captcha- goose ichinis- Umm, no thank you?

docSpitfire

Jun 13, 2011
aba1 said:
Well if were using south park as the frame isn't "Canada goes on strike" a better example.
That episode was the about the TV writer's strike though,
Notice the "World Canadian Bureau" Was abbreviated WGA (Writer's Guild of America) and the episode came out in April 2008 (The WGA strike ended 2 months earlier)
They just used Canada because the the idea of an entire country going on strike is more ridiculous than what actually happened and therefore has far more comedic value.

(Also for that matter, the organizers of the strike were really the only Canadian's portrayed as idiots)

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Jamboxdotcom said:
4173 said:
Dango said:
It's more of a joke hate for most people. We just like to call them backwards and make fun of them for saying words like "about" differently.
I've lived my entire life in Canada, and I've never heard anyone say "a-boot" non-ironically. Other the other end, most people I know do say "zed" and spell things with a "u" (honour, colour).
I hear "aboot" quite often from Canadians, but only from Alberta or Saskatchewan. Never hear it from the eastern provinces, or the west coast, for that matter.

OT: Love Canadians. Seriously. I enjoy Canadian jokes, but only in the same way i enjoy any joke. Canadians are basically just nicer, more thoughtful Americans...who wear toques and lumberjack shirts :)
I am from Saskatchewan and have been in the twenty largest cities/towns and twenty smallest towns (for no real reason other than I like the number) and I have never heard someone ever say aboot! ;-)

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Redlin5 said:
sgtslacker said:
I dunno O.O

I've never seen any plastic bags for milk here in Saskatchewan!
I think milk in a bag is an Ontario thing.

Anyways, as a Canadian obviously Americans don't really hate us, rather they either like us or are completely indifferent. However if it's a situation like the OP is suggestion where you're working in the States and can be identified as 'the Canadian', I'm sure there will be people who will rag on you for it. It's kind of human nature to do so, especially when you're country is the world super power and many don't put much thought into the outside world.

BelmontClan

Nov 15, 2009
I have a few Canadian friends and they are all awesome!

However, OP, I dislike YOU for poor grammar. For the love of all that's holy, an apostrophe does not make a word plural, it makes it possessive. GET IT RIGHT!

jack583

Oct 26, 2010
i'm dating a girl from canada
and i like all canadian shows that i have had access to watch (red green show, corner gas)
3 words for why i like canada: loading ready run