Do bicyclists belong on the roads or on the sidewalks?

ninjapenguin981

Jul 10, 2009
Get on the road. People on the pavements on their bikes piss me off. If you don't know the rules of the road on how to ride your bike then go get some lessons or get off your bike and walk.

TheHitcher

Sep 9, 2009
I live in probably one of the flattest cities in England, which contains a lot of cycles. As a result, most of the roads have cycle lanes. If a road has a cycle lane, I will ALWAYS take it over any pedestrian path. However, if a road is narrow, I do sometimes consider taking the path.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
If you're in the city, go on the road, but if you're in the suburb, well god damn you BETTER be on the sidewalk

jumb

Apr 3, 2010
I live in Australia and I hate cyclists on the road and especially hate the level of arrogance and the sense of entitlement that the cyclists exhibit. They want all of the benefits without any of the responsibilities. They keep talking about how they have a right to slow down other motorists and create a safety hazard.

The only reason they're even allowed is because of politics: people in charge want to look "green".

I don't mind them where there are bicycle lanes, but on the actual road they should be banned.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
jumb said:
I live in Australia and I hate cyclists on the road and especially hate the level of arrogance and the sense of entitlement that the cyclists exhibit. They want all of the benefits without any of the responsibilities. They keep talking about how they have a right to slow down other motorists and create a safety hazard.

The only reason they're even allowed is because of politics: people in charge want to look "green".

I don't mind them where there are bicycle lanes, but on the actual road they should be banned.
Or maybe they can't afford a car.

Maybe you're the one showing arrogance.

Maybe you feel like because you bought a car you're entitled to the road and the fastest speeds.

Maybe you should learn to be thankful and learn some patience while you're at it.

Good day.

Darkauthor81

Feb 10, 2007
You'd never catch me on a bike or even a motor bike. I was once pulling out of work one early morning (I worked 3rd shift). I looked left and right. Well to the left the side was rising and completely blinded me. But, I didn't see a car in all that glare, so I started to go.

If I didn't have my windows down and heard him coming, I would have been hit by a biker who was hidden in all that damn sun. I came so very damn close to killing that man all because of sun glare. Honest to God I looked, I really did, and I did not see him at all.

No. You'll never catch me on the road unless I'm in a car.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Hmm. Well, I know this from the perspective of being a cyclist in Australia, and one in the Netherlands.

Being a pedestrian in the netherlands is quite a hazard at times, but for the most part you find dedicated cycle lanes everywhere, and if you don't most people use their bike on the road. (unless it's really cramped, or busy. But in places like that there's usually a bike lane anyway.)

In Australia I got fined for not wearing a helmet.
In the netherlands, I don't think I've ever seen anyone wearing a bike helmet.

But dutch cyclists are aided immensely by the road rules there.
Basically, if an accident happens between a car and a bicyle, it is ALWAYS the car driver's fault.
No exceptions. (At least, none that I know of. The cyclist could be acting like a total idiot, and the car driver would still be blamed)

As you can imagine, this, coupled with just how many bikes the country actually has, make people that drive cars very careful.

You'd be surprised how well this works; In another example, there was a really awkward set of traffic lights in Amsterdam, that was really slow, and had a lot of accidents.
They removed it, and put in a roundabout, then instituted the rather ridiculous-sounding rule that pedestrians ALWAYS have right of way over cars...

As insane as it sounds, the end results have been fewer accidents, and traffic moves more quickly.

Common wisdom about traffic isn't always right when put to the test.

But, to try to get to the point, there's no easy answer to this, and it depends entirely on circumstances and traffic conditions.

A fast-moving cyclist could be a serious hazard to pedestrians.
But meanwhile, a slower-moving one is going to be a big headache for cars.
Either way, there's no good answer to this. (which is why bicycle lanes exist in the first place, where anyone can be bothered to build them.)

luna_moth

May 20, 2009
In my city there are bike lanes on most major roads and streets, so theres really no reason to ride on the sidewalk. On un-bikelaned roads while it is a bit unsettling to have cars whizzing by you, it's polite to stay off the sidewalks

TOTL_UNIALAYSHUN

Aug 24, 2010
I think they should just make an entirely separate road/ sidewalk for th bicycles. Last year I went to South Carolina, to a place called Hilton Head, they have bike roads there. That should be a standard in all cities!

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
As an avid cyclist, I hate biking on the sidewalk. Here are a few disadvantages:

-Tightass cops will ticket you (although I've never experienced this).
-The sidewalk is generally less even and you find yourself getting jolted around.
-People on sidewalks are far less alert than most drivers, and will walk right into you half the time.
-There is a greater chance of a car pulling out of a hidden driveway and cutting you off and/or hitting you.
-Passengers getting out of a parallel parked vehicle will usually not bother to check for cyclists, resulting in a chance of you getting smashed by a door.

It is rarely safer to go on the sidewalk, as a car drifting to the right can easily jump the curb and kill you. I usually find that most cars give me more than enough room, as drivers around here regard bikers as suicidal maniacs that will throw themselves in front of cars. I usually get at least a meter of room, if not two, although the occasional maniac buzzes by only a foot or so away.

Xastabus

Aug 25, 2010
I am unable to quote for some reason... and yesterday the page numbers didn't show up. These forums have some issues.

Anyway,

@Hashime - I was using a bicycle speedometer that had been properly calibrated. I wasn't an athlete at the time (nor am I now) and the majority of people I see using the bicycle lanes in my area aren't athletes either.
The speed limit in downtown Indianapolis where the bicycle lanes are is 25MPH. I have yet to personally see anyone on a bicycle keeping pace with 25MPH traffic.

Every once in a while I do see people who are obviously athletic and bicycle as a work out. These people ride considerably faster than the majority of other people I see riding bicycles. I will admit that someone who is physically fit enough and knowledgeable about the operation of a variable speed bicycle will likely ride faster, however the vast majority of people I see riding bicycles do not fall into that category.
Most of the people I see riding are college kids heading to class with lots of extra weight strapped to their backs.

athensguy

May 30, 2011
maddawg IAJI said:
Saelune said:
I dont care what happens, if someone hits me with a bike while im walking, its their fault. (Unless I jump in front of them on purpose obviously)
Actually it would still be the cyclists fault, as it would be the drivers fault if you jumped in front of a car. A pedestrian, no matter what they're doing, always have the right of way over a vehicle. Even if they're jay-walking across a busy street.
I landed on this page randomly. I just wanted to say that this statement about pedestrians is false.

In Georgia, at least, pedestrians are allowed to cross the street most places, but unless they are at a marked crosswalk or an intersection, they must yield to traffic. It seems that most states have similar rules.

http://peds.org/resources/pedestrian_right_of_way/ [http://peds.org/resources/pedestrian_right_of_way/]

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
godofallu said:
Now as a driver having bikers in front of me pisses me off, since everyone who rides a bike in the street is a moron. They go so slow, and you can never pass the bastards either.
Let me see if I've got this straight: the inability of bicyclists to match the speed of cars makes them morons? If this is your complaint, let me remind you on the best day of your life you couldn't do what you're demanding.

If your gripe is that you have to follow them for too long because you can't pass, yeah, I can really see how following a cyclist for 45 seconds until you have room to pass could ruin your whole day. Are you President? Are you a surgeon on his way to the ER? If not then quit your whining, one minute of your time is just not that important.

If your gripe is that cyclists don't obey the law -- run stop signs and such -- I agree that they often don't obey, but neither do drivers. How many times have you nearly had an accident because of a cyclist? What about because of another driver? I think if you're honest with yourself you'll realize cars and their operators are, and always will be, the greater threat.

Weofparadigm

Jul 12, 2010
SIDEWALKS! I'm sick of these Lance Armstong wannabe assholes getting right in the middle of the road. The side of the road would be ok I guess since it would be easy to get around but they ALWAYS have to be in the middle of the road. Sorry, This just really gets my goat

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Lilani said:
I'm attending college, and recently I thought it was a good idea to start riding a bike around campus, both for convenience and for my health. But I also learned of a very silly policy regarding where you are allowed to ride your bike. As it turns out, it is a ticketable offense to ride your bike on public sidewalks. Bicycles are to be ridden on the streets, as far to the edge as you can ride.

I've thought and thought about this, and I can't figure out the logic behind this. I don't trust cars. Half a second of distraction or error, and you've got two tons of steel barreling across that line and making contact with the edge of the road. Any bicyclist caught in the middle of that can consider themselves severely injured at best and stone-cold dead at worst.

If I had to choose between being a pedestrian getting hit by a bicycle, and a bicyclist getting hit by a car, I'd rather get hit by a bike any day. And at least on the sidewalk, I can see what I need to avoid. I can see those little old ladies and mommies with their strollers way ahead, and slow and steer as needed. On the road, cars are whizzing by me and all I can do is pray to God that each and every one of them sees me and hugs the left rather than the right. I have an alarmingly small amount of control over my safety.

So, what do you think, Escapists? Do bikes really belong on the road with cars, or is it safer for everyone for them to stick to the sidewalks?

EDIT: Bah, forgot to add the poll. Oh well.

SECOND EDIT: And just to be clear, there are no bike lanes anywhere in my city. None. There are a few on campus property, but most of the time I have to go to the sidewalks anyway because they hardly ever go where I need to go. So please, no "HURR WHY NOT JUST STAY IN THE BIKE LANE HURR DERP" arguments.
I have no problem riding my bike on the road. Wear bright colors and put on reflectors. Everything you just said about lack of control over your safety is just as true for motorcyclists and car drivers, if that 18 wheeler crosses the line, there ain't much you can do. Sure, cars are bigger than a bike, but that's not true of motorcycles. And neither of those things drive down the road with a bright banana yellow coat and 4 reflectors. If you're really that worried about it, buy one of those stupid bright orange vests and use like 6 reflectors, you'll be fine.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
spartan231490 said:
I have no problem riding my bike on the road. Wear bright colors and put on reflectors. Everything you just said about lack of control over your safety is just as true for motorcyclists and car drivers, if that 18 wheeler crosses the line, there ain't much you can do. Sure, cars are bigger than a bike, but that's not true of motorcycles. And neither of those things drive down the road with a bright banana yellow coat and 4 reflectors. If you're really that worried about it, buy one of those stupid bright orange vests and use like 6 reflectors, you'll be fine.
I'm not worried about mistakes I make. I do wear bright colors when I ride, and I never ride at night. What I'm worried about is some idiot drifting over toward me because they're on their cell phone or otherwise not paying attention. No amount of reflectors can save you from human error and general stupidity. I have a lot more faith in my ability to spot pedestrians on a sidewalk while going less than 20 miles an hour than other people's ability to spot a tiny little bike a little to their right while they're going 30 or 40 miles per hour.

THAT is why I think bicycles should be acceptable on sidewalks. Giant groups should stick to the roads, of course, but a single rider is much safer on the sidewalk.