Do EMAIL SPAM filters work anymore?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
My home email box has been getting so full of BS that I've started to mark things as Spam. But do those that send spam have methods to avoid such filters now? Doesn't appear to be working.

Your advice?

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Does your ISP or online mail service offer any spam filters?
Server side filters usually employ better algorithms and blacklists to detect spam mail.
plus you don't even have to download all the unwanted stuff to begin with.
only drawbacks are the small number of false positives, so look through your spam folder every so often.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I use a Gmail based account and it works pretty flawlessly.

No spam has made through the filter in years.

Dan Steele

Jul 30, 2010
I think it may be obsolete, I signed a few change.org petitions and other petitions in defence of net neutrality in my younger days on my gmail account. Now I get a million emails saying "Donate here" "chip in now" or "support so and so for congress" no matter how many I unsubcribe to, they just keep coming to spam my inbox. The biggest offenders are "salsalabs" and "BlueStateDigital"

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Thanks all.

I'm using an email client provided by my ISP. Unbelievably slow, so I'm moving over to another account... maybe outlook. ITMT: I've been marking a ton as Spam and I'm not seeing anything in my spam folder that I did not manually put there. Aggravating.

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
I really hate Amazon sellers because of this. Buy one thing from them, get spam for life.

And it's best to have more than one email account. People should have an email account which is only given out to people that they know, and never for logins or purchases, since those will bring lots of spam and you don't want actually important emails getting lost.

cold_revenge92

Nov 17, 2017
The fact that our e-mails are filled with spam is so annoying. :/ Currently, I am using Gmail, but I don't know why it took me so long to set all the spam e-mails to the spam folders. I stumbled upon an article describing different methods [https://www.1and1.com/digitalguide/e-mail/e-mail-security/how-to-recognize-spam-e-mails-and-prevent-them/] to protect yourself from unwanted spams. One thing that I've learned and am using at the moment is a very good antivirus program because I?d been infected with a malware through my e-mail recently, so I am trying to protect myself as much as possible rn! Also, I've learned to create different e-mails for personal stuff, for signing to online shops, services, etc. Another thing I try using often, are some tricks when giving my personal info to random sites. Be careful guys! It?s always good to think twice and try to be smart when using the platforms you have ! :)

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
cold_revenge92 said:
The fact that our e-mails are filled with spam is so annoying. :/ Currently, I am using Gmail, but I don't know why it took me so long to set all the spam e-mails to the spam folders. I stumbled upon an article describing different methods [https://www.1and1.com/digitalguide/e-mail/e-mail-security/how-to-recognize-spam-e-mails-and-prevent-them/] to protect yourself from unwanted spams. One thing that I've learned and am using at the moment is a very good antivirus program because I?d been infected with a malware through my e-mail recently, so I am trying to protect myself as much as possible rn! Also, I've learned to create different e-mails for personal stuff, for signing to online shops, services, etc. Another thing I try using often, are some tricks when giving my personal info to random sites. Be careful guys! It?s always good to think twice and try to be smart when using the platforms you have ! :)
Thanks, I'll take this to heart.