Do evil thoughts make you evil? Like, really evil thoughts?

Zealous

Mar 24, 2009
Well evil is a subjective concept, therefore everyone will have their own opinions about this matter. Personally, I believe that there is no such thing as evil, just a misunderstanding or lack of information regarding a person's actions. However, there are some actions that are considered to be "bad" based on societal norms but that is, again, a subjective concept.
Really there is no way to define evil or bad (or good) non subjectively unless we take it down to it's base: does it cause any kind of harm to another individual or not in any way shape or form? If so, then it should be considered to be a "bad" action. If it does not cause any form of harm it's "good". And now we're left with the same dilemma. Where is the line between merely "bad" and "evil"? As I've stated before I believe that there is no such thing as evil due to the subjective nature of the classification of an action as "evil".
In your situation there is no context. Either one of those individuals could have been held captive for years as a child suffering through rape and other forms of physical and psychological abuse that scarred them for life and left serious developmental problems. Therefore it is impossible to judge these two individuals and tell you if they are in fact "evil".

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
As long as you're smart/cognizant enough not to act on them, you're fine.

Being a general douche? that's acting on them.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Actions with evil intent make one evil. For example, killing a uniformed enemy in time of war while he sleeps is not evil, unless he's an unarmed prisoner, but murdering your neighbor in his sleep because he plays his music too loud is.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
In my opinion, thoughts are thoughts (and actions speak louder than words). Within each individual is a capacity to do both good and evil; only once someone has acted on good or evil actions, is what would define them as being good or evil.

Having strong thoughts about evil acts is a rather alarming issue and it depends if the individual has the will and mental capacity to confine those thoughts into the corner of his mind, or to not even allow his mind to entertain such thoughts.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think, we become.
- Buddha

seraphy

Jan 2, 2011
If you don't act on your evil thoughts, no I don't think you are really evil.

Who can say that they never have dark thoughts for instance? I doubt many.

Chefodeath

Dec 31, 2009
Good question.

If he actively planned to commit rape or murder but just never got around to it, I'd say he was evil. Premeditation is an action afterall. If he was just extremely likely to commit rape or murder in the right situation, I'd say no. Afterall, if all of us were deemed evil just because its possible for us to do an evil ct in the right circumstances, there'd be a lot of evil motherfuckers.

A3Bf72rVWE5hA

Nov 10, 2009
I see what Richardplex meant about retyopy's threads being funny, everyone seems so torn on the subject with no real right answer, trying to show why their opinion is right, while anyone with a conflicting opinion tries to do the same. Whether intentional or accidental, I congratulate you.

On topic!
Evil thoughts don't make for an evil person. Judge one by their actions, because you can't really tell what one is thinking at anyone time unless they act upon their thoughts in some way shape or form.
Alternatively, if this horrible, horrible person doesn't do anything bad because he knows he'll get caught, moral or not he's rational, which has to count for something.
Alternatively, even if this person is evil, by not actually doing anything evil they're rather pathetic (which in this case, would probably be a good thing, but still).

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Evil is a status that comes from committing evil actions.

Or not. I don't know. I'm not your fucking mom.

ConstantErasing

Sep 26, 2011
NSGrendel said:
ConstantErasing said:
Well, without going too deep into the subject of good and evil, I would say yes. To me evil is defined by intentions not actions. A person like James is evil, where as a person who commits evil deeds for the sake of good or by accident is not. They are still committing evil deeds and should be treated appropriately but they are not evil.
So Hitler, whose basic raison d'etre was to raise post WWI Germany out of its malaise, is a good guy, by the above definition?

Even if his methodology involved pogrom?
I didn't want to go too deep into this but alright. First off Hitler intended a lot more than just to get Germany its place under the sun. Although Lebrenslaum (I think that's how you say it, well its living space anyway) and power for Germany may have been his main objective there is a reason we remember him most for the holocaust. I would not call him completely evil just because he started WWII, though its certainly not a point in his favor. However his intentions definitely included genocide and that is what I would say made him evil. That being said however, if you go deeper it might be possible to say he wasn't. If he committed all the horrible deeds he did because he legitimately thought it was best for the common good then I would not say he was evil. Similarly if James wanted to commit all his horrible deeds for the improvement of the human race then even if he does commit them I wouldn't say he was evil. Ultimately I would say that selfish acts done knowingly at the expense of others (or at least the desire to do so) is what makes a person evil. That being said I highly doubt Hitler or James truly think their actions are for the benefit of mankind.