Do fandoms ruin series for you?

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Never had that happen to me before tbh, mostly because I find fandoms are full of pretty nice people aside from a few vocal jackasses who I question if they even actually like the thing the fandom is based around, so I have to say, no I've never had a fanbase ruin something for me

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
RaikuFA said:
FalloutJack said:
Overall, not really. Can't say that they have. Why? Are they getting bad again?
The fanbase for Steven Universe harrassed a girl till she tried to kill herself. Then when some people who work on SU called these people out, the fanbase tried getting them arrested for shit.
Wait. Are you saying that people tried to get the show runners arrested? Because that's not a thing to my knowledge. I know some of the harassers were allegedly arrested, but that's it.

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
After the shit that happened with Zamii and Steven Universe I find it hard to continue the show... gonna need a bit before I can get back into it.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Yes.

Dr Who: Possibly the most cringe worthy collection of people on the planet. Although admittedly the low budget and the Doctors foolish and downright idiotic refusal to kill anything would have ruined it too.

Footbal or Soccer if you live in the US: Football fans can be summed up as screaming and violent, and sometimes boring when they aren't screaming at football or being violent because of football. Admittedly a lot of football fans can be interesting when discussing something else, but most will insist on screaming when presented with a goal. As for the violence... have you heard of someone being beaten/trampled/stabbed to death over say lord of the rings? Of course not all football fans are violent thugs but there are enough brutish Neanderthals who follow the sport to completely put me off it.

Jei-chan

Inquisitor-Hierarch
Apr 18, 2011
Fandoms can make me incredibly disinclined to seek out a thing, especially movies. I don't usually go to the theatres, except for the Hobbit and LotR movies, so when literally every person on the planet was going "ZOMFG AVENGERRRRRRS" it really put me off it. I watched it on a plane to America over Christmas last year and was unimpressed with it, which sort of validated my original feelings about how I didn't want anything to do with something so ubiquitous I couldn't find a single person who wouldn't tell me I was mad for not having watched it.

Not sure whether my experience with the fandom trying to badger/shame me into watching it made me less impressed.

I'll second what a few people have said here about Undertale. Looks like something I might be interested in, except that 90% of the people on the internet are asking me why I haven't played it yet. That sort of thing is only likely to make me not want to play it, to spite people trying to tell me what to do *shrugs*

It also put me off the new Doctor Who series. They played the entirety of the old shows on TV in the afternoons here so I've seen the whole of it. The new ones were so hyped up I didn't want anything to do with them.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
RaikuFA said:
FalloutJack said:
Overall, not really. Can't say that they have. Why? Are they getting bad again?
The fanbase for Steven Universe harrassed a girl till she tried to kill herself. Then when some people who work on SU called these people out, the fanbase tried getting them arrested for shit.
Well fuck. I don't even watch this show. Guess that just shows how much meaning their lives have.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I think that if I was a fan of that Steven Universe show, the fanbase of it would have put me off it pretty successfully.

I remember the old series of Dr Who used to be pretty good. Sometimes you really should not listen to fans; you've got writers for that.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Only if they spoil story stuff for me before I get a chance to experience it for myself, otherwise they are completely separate entities.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
I hate to say this because the game and some content made for it is so utterly good but... Garry's Mod. Hands ****ing down. Soooooo many kiddies playing. Way too many. And along with all the kiddies come the, you guessed it, terrible admins everywhere. And the Five Nights at Freddies and MLP content that is just... Flooding the workshop. By the gods, it's bad. XP

Garry's Mod is pretty much the Matrix Construct in game form. Which, needless to say, is super awesome. Buttttt... Thanks to all the douchebags, its name gets unfairly dragged through the mud.

On the other hand, if I had to pick a fandom that actually ADDED to a game or series or whatever... I think I would definitely choose Myst.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
No, and they shouldn't.

I understand and accept why they might and do. I just feel like a group of people that really don't have or need to have anything to do with what you enjoy, at least in your own mind, shouldn't really be breaking any convictions you have. Especially for entertainment of all things.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
Doctor Who probably. Doctor Who is in the unique position where the fandom ruined the show which ruined it for me.

Oct 22, 2011
Not as much ruin, as want to wait until hype boils down. That was my aproach towards 4th season of GoT. And now it could've been my approach towards 4th Fallout if i'd plan to play it from the get go.

Now i'll usually avoid anything fandom related, til after the watch/playthrough - case in point: Undertale. I got actually intrigued when i've first heard about it. Luckily, i've also seen the early signs of incoming hypetrain, so now i try to limit myself from anything fan related until i play it myself. Which should be as soon as i have time, since the game is dirt cheap.

Also, following the Golden Rule, i try to not oversell things i enjoy myself to other people.

Grumpy Ginger

Jul 9, 2012
inu-kun said:
Well, I've gone from merely disliking Legend Of Korra to outright hating it, so I guess....?
Out of curiosity what in particular about the fandom drove you to hate the show? (personally I have yet to finish the series but I do feel like it was a good series at heart that had some pretty serious flaws pulling it down)

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Christemo said:
While not specifically an entire series, rabid fans of certain Fate/Stay Night or Tsukihime characters have made me go completely back on my previously good or neutral opinions on them. This includes basically the three main heroines of Fate/Stay Night (particularly Saber, but in general all 3 of them are poorly written, especially in comparison to Kinoku Nasu's best written ones) and Archer, all of whom I was relatively neutral on (and I'll admit to even liking Saber in Fate/Zero, where Urobuchi handled her better in every way), and now I despise them all.

So yeah, it's perfectly possible for other people in a fandom to ruin it or parts of it for me.
Yeesh, that bad huh? I will admit to liking Rin on a superfical level but yeah, she doesn't seem that developed looking back at it, in UBW especially, she flips from being assertive and in control of her relation with Shirou to the point of dragging him on a date to someone embarrassed when told that she and Shirou are a couple and lost a lot of her defiant attitude. I didn't think that the obsession over Rin and Saber was that insane or that the hate of Sakura was so strong (still haven't been given a reason why "Sakura is a *****" as one friend says)

As for the Fate Universe itself, I am probably one of those fans that proclaims Fate/Zero better than the majority of the Fate adaptations so I don't help the situation but I find that the Fate fandom seems awfully forgiving of not great to horrible writing and pretentious dialogue

Fox12 said:
Hmm, hard to say. Anime can have a pretty toxic fanbase sometimes. I know a ton of people who are casual fans of anime, and their pretty cool. They tend to gravitate toward Cowboy Bebop, Ghibli, or sometimes Eva. I like them pretty good. You also tend to have the film snobs and the more cultured anime fans, who watch Satoshi Kon and Oshii films. I like them best. But a sizable chunk of anime fans? Naruto obsessed, hentai watching, fetishistic fans. Some of these people really weird me out, I've met them in person.
I would say that the sizable chunk of anime fans from my view are more light novel adaptation obsessed folks that seem to have a high tolerance for self-insert characters, overly tropey tsundere female characters, some inclusion of incest for no real reason or the inclusion of overly technical magic systems (Yes, I will admit that I like Index for it but it is getting annoying when it gets in the way of characters).

Also, just out of question, how do you perceive me: one of the cultured fans?

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Izanagi009 said:
I would say that the sizable chunk of anime fans from my view are more light novel adaptation obsessed folks that seem to have a high tolerance for self-insert characters, overly tropey tsundere female characters, some inclusion of incest for no real reason or the inclusion of overly technical magic systems (Yes, I will admit that I like Index for it but it is getting annoying when it gets in the way of characters).

Also, just out of question, how do you perceive me: one of the cultured fans?
Most of the people on this site, with a few exceptions, tend to fall into the "cultured" category. Obviously, liking Satoshi Kon doesn't mean that they don't also enjoy DBZ or something, but it shows that their more aware of what's out there. All I really mean is that they tend to put more thought into why something is good or bad. Digibro, Goat Jesus, and even Demolition D, on youtube, tend to fall into these categories. So yeah, you definitely come across that way.

The film snobs (I mean that lovingly) tend to be people who watch The Godfather, Citizen Kane, or Stanley Kubrick films, and often want to work in film. They don't really watch a lot of anime, but when they do they tend watch people like Kon, and they respect him just as much as any other director. Someone like Roger Ebert would fall into this category.

The group I criticize tends to be the hardcore otaku fanbase. Most of the ones I've met have left a pretty bad impression on me, though that may simply be bad experiences talking. All they tend to watch is the latest shonen series, and they tend to dress up and act like their favorite characters. Which is fine, I'm totally cool with that. My problem is that I ran into a lot of sexism, racism, and homophobia. They couldn't really care less for the story, so long as there was a lot of fanservice, and they they'd talk at length about hentai. I know this isn't all, or even most, anime fans, but I do think it's a sizable chunk. I can sort of see why Miyazazki would have an issue with this subset of people, and while I think he was a little harsh, I do think they sometimes hurt the medium.

Illesdan

Sep 15, 2008
Star Trek fandom is pretty surreal. I don't even know if that's really a thing anymore since its been out of the public eye for awhile now, but seriously, I used to question the mental stability of some of the people I met through the fandom. Do you remember Barbara Adams, the juror that wore a Starfleet costume to the Whitewater hearings? Yeah, I used to write to her through the mail, but dropped out of touch shortly before the whole fiasco kicked off. Thankfully, not everyone in the fandom is coo-coo for coco puffs, but about 1 in five take it a little too seriously.

HoneyVision

Jan 4, 2013
The worst are the ones that don't know the difference between 'criticism' and "HATERZ!!!!!!1!!"

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
not a fandom hate, but the sterotypical hate towards Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire. yes, retroactively they may have been a let down in comparison to the Fandom's common fondness of GSC. however even after drawing back from using fully animated sprites, 8bit noises into using soundfonts and upgrading color was a start, however it felt like a slight reboot of the franchise since so few old Pokemon appeared, and this was just after Pokemon started to drift down in popularity in the west. eventually you'd have to buy 3 lots of games to get a lot of pokemon, maybe there's a slight bit of crossing over with Emerald.

It's a single generation in the franchise, i get it. but traditionally Pokemon is one of those franchises that looks more archaic the further you look back the generations as you play more modern generations. it isn't something easy like Mario or Zelda can do. stuff like Pokemon Diamond and Pearl's pokemon selection may be a slight justification as hate, but it did bring back individual days of the week, internet and pseudo-3D graphics, it does lack in the story department to a degree however that and the Pokemon issue was neatened up with Platinum. the issue with the whole looking backwards thing is that GSC was pretty refined and made as much use as they can on the aging gameboy, even if they had to snip a few things like Viridian Forest and the Seafoam Islands which were eventually restored in HGSS along with music and a bunch of other things.

Another fandom? probably getting too close to a flame here. but Touhou. a franchise that's made out to be much more massive than its supposed to be, it has lots of fan art, doujinshi, music videos, flash cartoons and so on, it proliferates countless forums and possibly crosses over fandoms. but as a newer person, im only aware of a few characters, you'd probably have to go through lots of hurdles into actually playing the games themselves only to die a couple of stages into normal mode. trying to figure out the plot? good luck, the creator put a moratorium on talking about full games' plots in detail; so databases puts the plot into the character profiles themselves which would be hard considering how far a part character links were. even worse, this is a videogame series not a four-thousand-page flash cartoon series, it should be easy to get into....but it just isn't. you'd probably get looked down and would likely not get the full story/ending if you played on easier modes to boot.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Add another one in for My Little Pony.
I'm not a fan anymore, not that the fanbase has anything to do with that, I just lost interest, but even while I was still a fan, I couldn't deny that our online presence was extremely toxic.
The funny thing is that back when I was a fan, a friend and I went to a convention (cosplaying the FlimFlam brothers, it was awesome) and you know somethin'? The nicest people I ever met were at that con. Seriously, it was an extremely nice and friendly place. Then I went home and went online and it was like "Where did all those nice people go?" You know how sometimes (or most of the time) it's better just to stay out of the fire online? That's probably what it was.

And in my own way, I think I'm ruining comic books for my friends. They don't read a ton of comics and I'm constantly trying to shove them down their throats (already a bad move) and act like a hipster because I'm the only person in my friends-circle who reads them.
I should probably change my attitude.